Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Storeline Mac shafts from the Nicklaus era


  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 stixman

stixman

    Hew to the line. Let the divots fall where they may. 1926 Golf I

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131937
  • Joined: 06/29/2011
  • Location:Morecambe, rUK
  • Handicap:12.2
  • Ebay ID:autolycan
GolfWRX Likes : 1529

Posted 30 April 2018 - 09:02 AM

I have a set of Jack Nicklaus Personal irons, the heads appear to be based on the 1967 VIP blade.

The thing which is puzzling me are the shafts, Brunswick ??.
The label reads True Action' MacGregor. and are designated A.
Now A flex to my understanding is soft.
The ones on my clubs feel stiff to me, 1970 stiff, not marginal. There are 12 steps on the 5 iron at 1 inch increments which start 11 inches above the hosel.

Could it be that Storeline clubs, or some at least, had a different flex labling to what would be considered normal. These shafts don't have a 'cheap' appearance to my eyes, certainly not in comparison to Wilson's Blue Ridge Snead lines.

Anybody know ?

Vintage various.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 rex235

rex235

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,504 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95615
  • Joined: 10/01/2009
  • Ebay ID:brsmooth235
GolfWRX Likes : 1693

Posted 30 April 2018 - 09:57 AM

Stix-

Need to see a photo of Nicklaus "Personal" irons..

Any Reg Nos for reference?

Edited by rex235, 30 April 2018 - 09:58 AM.


2

#3 stixman

stixman

    Hew to the line. Let the divots fall where they may. 1926 Golf I

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131937
  • Joined: 06/29/2011
  • Location:Morecambe, rUK
  • Handicap:12.2
  • Ebay ID:autolycan
GolfWRX Likes : 1529

Posted 30 April 2018 - 12:04 PM

View Postrex235, on 30 April 2018 - 09:57 AM, said:

Stix-

Need to see a photo of Nicklaus "Personal" irons..

Any Reg Nos for reference?

Thanks

Registration nos on ferrules   3E7532A

DSCF3013.JPG
DSCF3014.JPG
DSCF3015.JPG
Vintage various.

3

#4 rex235

rex235

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,504 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95615
  • Joined: 10/01/2009
  • Ebay ID:brsmooth235
GolfWRX Likes : 1693

Posted 30 April 2018 - 09:44 PM

Stix-

If memory serves me correctly, this is Charley Penna's territory- the difference between MacGregor Pro-Line and Store-Line irons.

A few years ago, Charley Penna and I were posting about the "Personal Model" stamp to MacGregor irons.

I noted that I had not seen any of them other than the "Personal Model" stamp you find on Ben Hogans '53 MacGregor irons, or Byron Nelsons MacGregor irons and putter.

Know for a fact there is another LH set of MacGregor Jack Nicklaus irons with the same  "Personal Model" stamp found on the '53 MacGregor irons used by Hogan.

Charley respectfully disagreed about having only one PM stamp, saying there were a number of Personal Model stamps used by MacGregor.

Charley then posted a few pages from the MacGregor store line catalogs on Golfwrx- Ones you don't find in the Kaplan compilations

These pages indeed showed the Jack Nicklaus "PERSONAL MODEL" irons, as well as other MacGregor staffers of note who had their "PERSONAL MODEL"  stamps in ALL CAPS..

Believe Mike Souchak  was one MacGregor staffer Charley posted.  Possibly Womens iron models as well?

The pages might take a little time to find, but they definitely were posted here on Golfwrx.

4

#5 last snowstorm

last snowstorm

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 325087
  • Joined: 07/06/2014
  • Location:Los Angeles
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 30 April 2018 - 11:07 PM

who Is Jack Nick Laus?

Edited by last snowstorm, 30 April 2018 - 11:09 PM.


5

#6 HoganApexBlades

HoganApexBlades

    ...Be the ball, Be the ball Danny...

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,912 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 249580
  • Joined: 05/08/2013
  • Location:Northern Illinois - Chicagoland
GolfWRX Likes : 1505

Posted 30 April 2018 - 11:18 PM

View Postlast snowstorm, on 30 April 2018 - 11:07 PM, said:

who Is Jack Nick Laus?

That is Jack Nick Haus' friend from Asia. Nick Haus' is from Germany.


Edited by HoganApexBlades, 30 April 2018 - 11:23 PM.

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

6

#7 Swingingk

Swingingk

    Advanced

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 349 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114135
  • Joined: 09/01/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 357

Posted 30 April 2018 - 11:25 PM

View Postlast snowstorm, on 30 April 2018 - 11:07 PM, said:

who Is Jack Nick Laus?

Yeah, pretty sloppy with the stamp spacing. It must have been three different stamps of four letters each.  I can tell you from experience that even four letters takes a dangerously hard hit with a dangerously large hammer.  A stamp holder is your friend in situations like that.  For production though they probably used some kind of industrial press.  Still... pretty sloppy.

7

#8 stixman

stixman

    Hew to the line. Let the divots fall where they may. 1926 Golf I

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131937
  • Joined: 06/29/2011
  • Location:Morecambe, rUK
  • Handicap:12.2
  • Ebay ID:autolycan
GolfWRX Likes : 1529

Posted 01 May 2018 - 02:21 AM

View Postlast snowstorm, on 30 April 2018 - 11:07 PM, said:

who Is Jack Nick Laus?

I acknowledge that 'Storeline' offerings are regarded in some quarters as beneath dignity.

Do you know anything about the questions asked?
Vintage various.

8

#9 Swingingk

Swingingk

    Advanced

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 349 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114135
  • Joined: 09/01/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 357

Posted 01 May 2018 - 07:39 PM

View Poststixman, on 01 May 2018 - 02:21 AM, said:

View Postlast snowstorm, on 30 April 2018 - 11:07 PM, said:

who Is Jack Nick Laus?

I acknowledge that 'Storeline' offerings are regarded in some quarters as beneath dignity.

Do you know anything about the questions asked?

Stix:  I don't know about the "A" flex thing but if they feel stiff hen at least they're not a senior flex like most modern "A"s are - which is cool.  

I know a lot of folks will bash store-line stuff without even looking, but I've found them to vary in quality a lot, from very bad to pretty darn good.  These "Personal Model" irons of yours look quite good to me.  Nice thin top-line, reasonable looking mass distribution, juicy ferrules, and most importantly (in my book) good looking groove stampings.  I see no reason your irons shouldn't play very well.  I don't know these shafts but Brunswick haw always been a quality name.  Try em' out and let us know.  I like them!

On the other end of store-line stuff I once picked up a 3-Pw set of MacGregor Nicklaus "Golden Bear" irons that were really bad.  They were the ones with the gold colored ferrules and Jack Nicklaus banded shafts, and were brand new.  Total complete junk.  Unplayable really.  I'm sure they must have been the ones that drove Jack to freak out at Macgregor about how bad the quality had become.  I literally threw them away.

9

#10 raggal62

raggal62

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 304737
  • Joined: 03/31/2014
  • Location:Treasure Valley
  • Handicap:4
  • Ebay ID:raggal62
GolfWRX Likes : 186

Posted 02 May 2018 - 07:21 AM

Usually TT store line shafts had 2" or more step increments. Not sure about Brunswick shafts though. Weren't the Propel's shorter step increments shafts? Closer to 1" ?


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 stixman

stixman

    Hew to the line. Let the divots fall where they may. 1926 Golf I

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131937
  • Joined: 06/29/2011
  • Location:Morecambe, rUK
  • Handicap:12.2
  • Ebay ID:autolycan
GolfWRX Likes : 1529

Posted 07 May 2018 - 09:26 AM

View PostSwingingk, on 01 May 2018 - 07:39 PM, said:

View Poststixman, on 01 May 2018 - 02:21 AM, said:

View Postlast snowstorm, on 30 April 2018 - 11:07 PM, said:

who Is Jack Nick Laus?

I acknowledge that 'Storeline' offerings are regarded in some quarters as beneath dignity.

Do you know anything about the questions asked?

Stix:  I don't know about the "A" flex thing but if they feel stiff hen at least they're not a senior flex like most modern "A"s are - which is cool.  

I know a lot of folks will bash store-line stuff without even looking, but I've found them to vary in quality a lot, from very bad to pretty darn good.  These "Personal Model" irons of yours look quite good to me.  Nice thin top-line, reasonable looking mass distribution, juicy ferrules, and most importantly (in my book) good looking groove stampings.  I see no reason your irons shouldn't play very well.  I don't know these shafts but Brunswick haw always been a quality name.  Try em' out and let us know.  I like them!

On the other end of store-line stuff I once picked up a 3-Pw set of MacGregor Nicklaus "Golden Bear" irons that were really bad.  They were the ones with the gold colored ferrules and Jack Nicklaus banded shafts, and were brand new.  Total complete junk.  Unplayable really.  I'm sure they must have been the ones that drove Jack to freak out at Macgregor about how bad the quality had become.  I literally threw them away.

Thanks, sorry for not getting back sooner, I've been hacking it around in Italy with the sticks.

I agree, the Golden bears were awful, difficult to get a club looking quite so 'cheap'. I'll give mine a run and report back. It's the shafts that made me pryck up my ears. 12 or 13 '1' inch increments  isn't 'cheap' in my book. I may lengthen them by half an inch to get them a bit more playable for my specs.

Edited by stixman, 14 May 2018 - 11:39 AM.

Vintage various.

11



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors