Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Arccos Smart Grips vs. 360

Arccos

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 CrisPy3

CrisPy3

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99865
  • Ebay ID:bantasbanty
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 29 April 2018 - 07:57 PM

https://www.arccosgolf.com/

https://www.arccossmartgrips.com/

Searched and surprised at the lack of attention the new grips are getting. Maybe they’re still too new, but I was hoping someone can help me understand the difference between the new grips and the traditional screw-in model’s subscription differences.

If you buy the grips, in order to get the tracking + caddie functionality you would pay $99 a year. But if you just purchase the screw-in/360 system, you already receive the tracking and the subscription for caddie would be $50 a year?

So in 10 years one would pay $500 more just for using the grips, plus the added cost of grips every few years? Does that sound right?

Thanks

Edited by CrisPy3, 29 April 2018 - 08:55 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 North Butte

North Butte

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,861 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
GolfWRX Likes : 6973

Posted 30 April 2018 - 05:57 AM

Talk about about putting the cart before the horse...they want you to have to use their specific grip, whether it fits you or not, because it has a built in sensor for their shot-tracking gadget.

They are pitching this at very sadly confused individuals IMO. The purpose of golf clubs, including grips, is to play golf. The tracker is just an add-on.
Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.

#3 Duke of Hazards

Duke of Hazards

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 57683
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 30 April 2018 - 01:02 PM

I hadn't realized that they released the Smart Grips, thought it had something to do with Cobra clubs only.  I much prefer the built in grip sensors over the screw in type.   I would actually consider buying these (once the Android app is up to snuff).

The subscription model is a bit aggressive, with them bundling the basic tracking service (which is included in cost of the standalone sensor package) and the Arccos caddie service ($50).

For the replacement Smart Grips, the cost is $7.50/empty grip, or $10 for sensor+grip.  The smart grips come in a pack of 13, plus 1 screw in type sensor for the putter.  The cost of the grips is $97.50 and the sensors
are $52.50, representing about $200 less than the Arccos 360 sensor bundle.

Assuming that the sensors are comparable with Arccos 360 (which retails on the site for $250, but includes the tracking service), appears that the cost breaks down as follows:

$  50/yr  Arccos Caddie (optional)

2 yr cost   $250 (tracking only).  $350 (inc. caddie)
3 yr cost:  $250 (tracking only).  $400 (inc. caddie)
5 yr cost   $250 (tracking only).  $500 (inc. caddie)

****Feasibly, you could discount the cost here with the benefit of brand new grips and subtract $100 from the amounts, since $50 of the $150 is for the sensors.

2 yr cost:  $350 (tracking + caddie) (****$250 if you count only sensor cost as $100 is for the grip cost)
3 yr cost:  $450 (tracking + caddie) (****$350)
5 yr cost:  $650 (tracking + caddie) (****$550)

Given that technology (especially in this space) is constantly evolving, I can see myself upgrading to newer tech sooner than later. 2-3 yrs probably (ain't nobody gonna be using these in 5 yrs, let alone 10 yrs - the tech will be ancient). With my strong preference for the Smart Grips over the screw in type sensors,  the choice for me is clear.  I would pay extra anyway for the built in sensors over the screw in type, but with the above, Caddie is thrown in for just a small additional fee.

Now they just gotta keep working on the android app.

Edited by Duke of Hazards, 30 April 2018 - 01:07 PM.

#4 CrisPy3

CrisPy3

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99865
  • Ebay ID:bantasbanty
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 30 April 2018 - 02:47 PM

UPDATE:

Reached out to Arccos customer support with the question. Here's their response:

"
Thank you for reaching out to the Arccos Golf Team. Yes, that is the case for the 2. The connect grips have the $99 a year subscription and that includes the shot tracking and the Caddie feature. The 360 sensors include the shot tracking and have the optional Caddie subscription. These are the 2 paths that management and production have decided to go with. You are welcome to go with the path that sounds better in your eyes. Do keep in mind that purchasing the connect grips that the cost of a normal set of new grips is close to the $150 that you would be paying. So it is essentially a fresh new set of grips with the sensors and then a subscription fee.
"

#5 Duke of Hazards

Duke of Hazards

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2018 - 03:12 PM

For me personally, the 'subscription' model (i.e. - Smart Grips) makes more sense with techy kind of stuff.    Whereas I might buy a car and use it over a 15 year life span, I've adopted subscription models with my cell phone and computer software, simply due to the frequency of updates and much shorter technology life cycle.

#6 d.m.gannon

d.m.gannon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 374129
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 26 May 2018 - 04:53 PM

Is there any more news about these grips, would prefer the smart grips over the sensors on the end of the clubs. Don't want to go out and buy the sensors and then the grips to be released the next day.

#7 ChappyEight

ChappyEight

Architect Golfer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76536
  • Ebay ID:ChappyEight
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 08 June 2018 - 08:11 AM

Current Arccos users got an email yesterday about a pre-sale of the grips being available now.
D:  Callaway GBB Epic 10.5­°
FW:  3W (15°) Mizuno JPX 900
Hy:  3H (19°), 4H (22°) Mizuno JPX 900
5-7i:  Mizuno MP-H5
8-PW:  Mizuno MP-5
W:  Mizuno S18 50°, 54°, 58°
P:  2017 Odyssey O-Works #9 White w/ Superstroke 3.0

#8 SlamMan

SlamMan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83888
GolfWRX Likes : 50

Posted 08 June 2018 - 05:38 PM

ChappyEight, on 08 June 2018 - 08:11 AM, said:

Current Arccos users got an email yesterday about a pre-sale of the grips being available now.

The Smart Grips do require a $99/yr subscription fee to use the app.

#9 Duke of Hazards

Duke of Hazards

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2018 - 02:06 PM

Now that Caddie 2.0 is free for Arccos 360 users, you would think that they would lower the price for the Smart Grip subscription.   While it appears that 2 separate 'teams' within Arccos are handling Arccos 360 and Smart Grips, the elimination of the $99/yr fee now enhances the value of 360 while making the Smart Grips comparitively more expensive, since the change was made for one but not the other.

#10 ghoonk

ghoonk

tour-issued equipment 'ho

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71465
  • Ebay ID:ghoonk
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 27 November 2018 - 05:25 AM

I think it comes down to horses for courses - all-in-one vs

The 360 (of which I have 2 sets on different setups) is an all-in one solution that can be moved from set to set (for testing or those afflicted with GAS), which accounts for the higher price.

The Smart Grips (SGs) are probably targeted at anyone looking for a fresh set of grips and want to use/try the service for a year. Best case, you have a new set of grips and a free month of their service (which I've found to be somewhat useful, especially in figuring out my actual club yardages vs how far i think i hit them); worst case, you have a set of grips which you needed anyway, and if you don't find any value in the online service, then I wouldn't bother subscribing - the grips are Lamkin and should last around 80-200 rounds YMMV

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Also tagged with Arccos

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors