Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Best practices for keeping clubs safe at the course

44 replies to this topic

#31 oldsticksnewsticks

oldsticksnewsticks

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424892
GolfWRX Likes : 63

Posted 01 May 2018 - 11:03 AM

Theft is more common than you would think. I tend to keep an eye on my bag including taking turns going into the clubhouse with a friend. I also tend to keep less flashy headcovers on my clubs.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 dwboston

dwboston

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51575
  • Handicap:5.2
  • Ebay ID:dwboston1
GolfWRX Likes : 601

Posted 01 May 2018 - 11:42 AM

View Postkrtgolfing, on 30 April 2018 - 06:04 AM, said:

I had a Scotty putter lifted about 6 years ago  I found him about 5 minutes later using it on the putting green. I told him we could either call the cops or he could just give it back. Thankfully I was not paired up with that guy that day, or I would have left the course. Now I leave my clubs in my car until after check-in and no issues.

I've told this story here before but once more couldn't hurt.  About 15 years ago I was playing at a nice daily-fee facility in Plymouth, MA (Pinehills - there are 2 courses there).  The putting green/short game area is right near the 18th green for the Nicklaus course, and the 9th green/10th tee for the Jones course, so there's a decent amount of traffic there.  I was using the practice bunker, so I set my other wedge and my putter (Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2.5, lefty) down in the grass right behind the bunker and hit a few shots.  I went up on the green to retrieve the balls and when I walked back down to the bunker, the putter was gone but the wedge was still there.  I initially thought my friend grabbed it as a joke or to demo, as he played RH but putted LH, but he didn't have it.  I looked around and there wasn't anyone close to us, until I noticed a guy walking really fast towards the 10th tee with a bag over his shoulder.  I jumped in the cart to go after him, and saw the putter sticking out of his bag  as I got closer.  I ran up and grabbed it out of his bag and confronted him.  He claimed, weakly, that he found it.  I asked him why he didn't turn it in, if he really found it, or why he didn't grab the wedge that was right next to it and he went silent.  My friends came over and got into with the guy as well.  The starter came over to find out what was going on - it turns out the guy was a member there, he was a doctor, and he owned a (really expensive) house off the 10th fairway.  The starter tried to vouch for him, I told him the guy was a thief, and I let it go.  I was happy to have the putter back, and I haven't left my clubs unattended since then.  

A few months later I went on a golf trip with the same friends and some others (around 20 guys total) to the Upper Peninsula in Michigan.  Our final round on the trip was at a really nice course, Bay Harbor, and we had dinner there immediately after the round.  A lot of the guys left their clubs at the bag drop, but after my experience with the putter, I locked them in the rental car.  Everyone who left their clubs out had something stolen - a bunch of Scotty putters, Titleist drivers (975J era) and other high-end (for the time) equipment.  And the course refused to do anything, even though the clubs were left with their attendants to clean them up.

I don't even leave my clubs at the course we belong to.  No one will take care of my clubs better than I will, and I "lost"  a laser rangefinder there a couple of years when when I forgot it in the basket of the push cart and one of the club cleaning kids took it, and it never turned up.  Moral of the story - look after your own stuff.

Edited by dwboston, 01 May 2018 - 11:59 AM.

Titleist 917 D2 10.5*, GD AD DI 7S | Titleist 915F 16.5*, GD AD DI 8S | Titleist 915 H 21*, GD AD DI 105S
Bridgestone J15 CB, 4-PW, Recoil Proto 125 F4 | Vokey SM6 52.08F | Vokey SM6 56.10S | Vokey SM7 60.12D
Lajosi DD201, 34"/350g

#33 Bluefan75

Bluefan75

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56847
GolfWRX Likes : 938

Posted 10 May 2018 - 07:33 AM

One of my things now is to leave the rain hood on and cover it up.  Now that I'm at a private club I get bugged about it, but I was at a public access course in the past, and drivers got lifted fairly regularly.  Between generic head covers, and closing up the hood, I figure I've got things covered fairly well.

Also, when I play at a course that requires you to ride, I actually pull away a little from the 18th green, and put all my stuff in my bag before I get anywhere near the cart barn.  And bag drop?  Dream on.

#34 RichieHunt

RichieHunt

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,277 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 209355
GolfWRX Likes : 2659

Posted 11 May 2018 - 10:23 AM

I've only had one club stolen in my life...a Wilson 8802 that I think I went an entire summer not missing a putt inside 5-feet from.  

I still want to strangle the person that stole that club from me to this day.

I really don't think stolen clubs are a problem unless you leave them out overnight.  

For instance, about 20 years ago I had a friend who had his entire car stolen and they later found the car put up on blocks.  And his entire bag of clubs still in the trunk of the car.

RH

#35 AMM315

AMM315

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 417662
  • Ebay ID:amichael03
GolfWRX Likes : 110

Posted 11 May 2018 - 11:49 PM

View PostRichieHunt, on 11 May 2018 - 10:23 AM, said:

I've only had one club stolen in my life...a Wilson 8802 that I think I went an entire summer not missing a putt inside 5-feet from.  

I still want to strangle the person that stole that club from me to this day.

I really don't think stolen clubs are a problem unless you leave them out overnight.  

For instance, about 20 years ago I had a friend who had his entire car stolen and they later found the car put up on blocks.  And his entire bag of clubs still in the trunk of the car.

RH

I think I would more PO’d by the loss of my clubs vs. my wheels!

#36 ode1

ode1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,284 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 98193
GolfWRX Likes : 536

Posted 12 May 2018 - 12:06 AM

See if these guys will send you some headcovers-

http://store.theroya...ts.asp?Cat=1820

#37 St Jimmy

St Jimmy

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 155985
  • Handicap:12.6
  • Ebay ID:luckyjet-44
GolfWRX Likes : 143

Posted 12 May 2018 - 08:33 AM

View PostBluefan75, on 10 May 2018 - 07:33 AM, said:

One of my things now is to leave the rain hood on and cover it up.  Now that I'm at a private club I get bugged about it, but I was at a public access course in the past, and drivers got lifted fairly regularly.  Between generic head covers, and closing up the hood, I figure I've got things covered fairly well.

Also, when I play at a course that requires you to ride, I actually pull away a little from the 18th green, and put all my stuff in my bag before I get anywhere near the cart barn.  And bag drop?  Dream on.

I keep the rain hood on too until Iím on the first tee.
Ping G400
Ping G400 stretch 3
Ping G SFT 3 wood
Mizuno JPX900 4-P
Callaway MD3 52,56, PM 60
Scotty Golo 3

#38 Man_O_War

Man_O_War

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,315 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135721
GolfWRX Likes : 1128

Posted 12 May 2018 - 05:33 PM

View Postbr61, on 30 April 2018 - 01:57 PM, said:

View Postandrue, on 29 April 2018 - 11:48 AM, said:

I'm glad I play golf in a civilised country :)

Not quite, I had my bag containing brand new Ping Zing2 irons stolen at Forest of Arden Golf Club in 1995 when I went inside to take a whiz after 9th hole. Those irons hadn't been released in England yet at that time.

One other time, I had raw 588 lob wedge taken from my bag.

yeah i was wondering which country he was referring too lol. Loved the Forest of Arden course.. Ernie, Woosie, Seve, all passed through... those were the days!!!
Cobra LTD Pro Project X LZ 6.0 71g HC
Cobra LTD 3/4  Kai'li 80
Cobra LTD 4/5  Kai'li 80
TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
Srixon Z965 4-PW DG 120 S400
RTX 3.0 50, 54, 60 Modus 125
Machine LN M6/Ping G2 c67
TM TP5x/Srixon Z-STAR XV

#39 BlackDiamondPar5

BlackDiamondPar5

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,802 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71580
GolfWRX Likes : 3341

Posted 12 May 2018 - 05:35 PM

View Postdwboston, on 01 May 2018 - 11:42 AM, said:

View Postkrtgolfing, on 30 April 2018 - 06:04 AM, said:

I had a Scotty putter lifted about 6 years ago  I found him about 5 minutes later using it on the putting green. I told him we could either call the cops or he could just give it back. Thankfully I was not paired up with that guy that day, or I would have left the course. Now I leave my clubs in my car until after check-in and no issues.

I've told this story here before but once more couldn't hurt.  About 15 years ago I was playing at a nice daily-fee facility in Plymouth, MA (Pinehills - there are 2 courses there).  The putting green/short game area is right near the 18th green for the Nicklaus course, and the 9th green/10th tee for the Jones course, so there's a decent amount of traffic there.  I was using the practice bunker, so I set my other wedge and my putter (Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2.5, lefty) down in the grass right behind the bunker and hit a few shots.  I went up on the green to retrieve the balls and when I walked back down to the bunker, the putter was gone but the wedge was still there.  I initially thought my friend grabbed it as a joke or to demo, as he played RH but putted LH, but he didn't have it.  I looked around and there wasn't anyone close to us, until I noticed a guy walking really fast towards the 10th tee with a bag over his shoulder.  I jumped in the cart to go after him, and saw the putter sticking out of his bag  as I got closer.  I ran up and grabbed it out of his bag and confronted him.  He claimed, weakly, that he found it.  I asked him why he didn't turn it in, if he really found it, or why he didn't grab the wedge that was right next to it and he went silent.  My friends came over and got into with the guy as well.  The starter came over to find out what was going on - it turns out the guy was a member there, he was a doctor, and he owned a (really expensive) house off the 10th fairway.  The starter tried to vouch for him, I told him the guy was a thief, and I let it go.  I was happy to have the putter back, and I haven't left my clubs unattended since then.  

A few months later I went on a golf trip with the same friends and some others (around 20 guys total) to the Upper Peninsula in Michigan.  Our final round on the trip was at a really nice course, Bay Harbor, and we had dinner there immediately after the round.  A lot of the guys left their clubs at the bag drop, but after my experience with the putter, I locked them in the rental car.  Everyone who left their clubs out had something stolen - a bunch of Scotty putters, Titleist drivers (975J era) and other high-end (for the time) equipment.  And the course refused to do anything, even though the clubs were left with their attendants to clean them up.

I don't even leave my clubs at the course we belong to.  No one will take care of my clubs better than I will, and I "lost"  a laser rangefinder there a couple of years when when I forgot it in the basket of the push cart and one of the club cleaning kids took it, and it never turned up.  Moral of the story - look after your own stuff.
Should have called the cops on Doctor Thief. His image deserved to be permanently tainted.

#40 lspky_muskie

lspky_muskie

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 443386
  • Handicap:14
GolfWRX Likes : 247

Posted 12 May 2018 - 09:07 PM

Generic headcovers is a good protocol, if you're playing the latest and greatest.

At the course where I'm a member, I will leave them unattended for a few minutes, but anywhere else I'm extremely vigilant about making sure someone has eyes in them at all times.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#41 Ghostwedge

Ghostwedge

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 433482
  • Handicap:8.0
GolfWRX Likes : 225

Posted 13 May 2018 - 09:15 PM

Not a fan of the new driver head covers. I use an old TM "sock style" head cover, protects expensive custom shafts better.
Generic cover on my Scotty as well. Bag doesn't leave my sight until it's in the SUV. Let my score do the advertising. lol

#42 marmooskapaul

marmooskapaul

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13039
GolfWRX Likes : 531

Posted 14 May 2018 - 07:16 AM

I left my entire bag in the cart once...too much fun...the course somehow got my cousin's phone number..called him...he then called me and ask me where my clubs were. I said my trunk...then went and checked..no clubs...kind of a sick feeling with empty trunk...lol.. Picked them up at the course the next day....plenty of good people still around that wouldn't consider stealing someones clubs.

#43 jerebear21

jerebear21

Don't Go Left

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,543 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 338509
  • Handicap:8.3
  • Ebay ID:bearjere21
GolfWRX Likes : 1693

Posted 14 May 2018 - 07:23 AM

Common sense. Keep your eyes on your bag always or check in for you and your friend while one is watching your bags.

I avoid city and muni courses in general.
thehuyhuynhfoundation.com

RogueSz 1w, 3w, 5w
Titleist 718 AP2 5-PW, AP3 4i, 3i w/tensei pro white tx
Fourteen RM22 53/58
CircleT

#44 Roadking2003

Roadking2003

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,301 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 406342
  • Handicap:8.7
GolfWRX Likes : 2149

Posted 14 May 2018 - 11:49 AM

View Postacbert, on 29 April 2018 - 11:02 AM, said:

Obviously the clubs are a prime target while I'm inside the club house.

How do you guys do it?

I'm even thinking of using non-name brand head covers so as not to bring attention to them.

Thoughts?

Don't play where this is a high risk.

#45 Skaffa77

Skaffa77

No place like the Sand Hills!

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,489 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23067
  • Ebay ID:Skaffa77
GolfWRX Likes : 555

Posted 14 May 2018 - 12:23 PM

I've actually always worried about this.  In fact...I'm paranoid in general about theft.  I once saw a saying at the gym that says, "Either you secure your items or someone else will"...so I take it to heart that my nice things are likely desired by others.

Most of the courses have a bag drop that is level with the pro shop so I can keep an eye on my gear.  There's the occasional course where my clubs are not readily visible and I try to make my Pro Shop visit as quick as possible...and leave less time for someone to be tempted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors