Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Optimist Junior World Championship

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Golfingdawg19

Golfingdawg19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 354301
GolfWRX Likes : 105

Posted 28 April 2018 - 09:13 PM

My buddy put his son in the qualifier today for the Optimist junior world championship. His son turned out to the be the only kid playing in his age group so he won the qualifier and moves on to the world championship. Iím just curious what you guys know about the tournament and why participation is down. My buddy was told that it is the oldest of the junior golf championships and some big name Tour players have won it in the past. It is held at PGA National which is a good golf course so you would think more people would want to play in it.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 1379

Posted 30 April 2018 - 09:53 AM

The Championship event is a poorly run tournament.  It is a good field on quality courses, but poorly administered for the price people are paying to be there.  Many kids go to the event by themselves in the older divisions and it becomes a big party with a lot of liquor.  The college coaches don't show up to this event like they used to because there are just better summer events out there in the older age groups.

Edited by heavy_hitter, 30 April 2018 - 09:53 AM.

#3 Golfingdawg19

Golfingdawg19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 354301
GolfWRX Likes : 105

Posted 30 April 2018 - 10:55 AM

Thanks Heavy. I was curious as to why it isn't as well attended as in the past.

#4 blaird

blaird

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63801
GolfWRX Likes : 462

Posted 10 May 2018 - 12:47 PM

I played in this event in 98 I think. I was 15 at the time, and it was a big deal back then. You had your AJGA events and the big ones associated with it (Polo, Lucent Technologies, etc) but the Optimist, Big I, Orange Bowl (played at Doral), Bubba Conlee, and Future Masters were the other big national events. I had a blast down there, even though I had a heat stroke after round 1 and wound up in the hospital for a few hours. But, I can see where what was said above is correct.

I stayed with a kid from Montana and somehow him and his buddies got their hands on a couple bottles of liquor after our final round. He gave me about half a bottle and me and another buddy went to the game room to shoot pool and drink. I look back now and know it was a dumb thing to do but I can see how that carried on to todays kids at this event.

I am shocked by how little weight it carries nowadays. This was a huge deal back in the day. I had to go thru a local and sectional qualifier to get in. It was a first rate tournament on great courses so Im a little surprised its not as big as it once was.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors