Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Optimist Junior World Championship

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Golfingdawg19

Golfingdawg19

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 354301
GolfWRX Likes : 170

Posted 28 April 2018 - 09:13 PM

My buddy put his son in the qualifier today for the Optimist junior world championship. His son turned out to the be the only kid playing in his age group so he won the qualifier and moves on to the world championship. Iím just curious what you guys know about the tournament and why participation is down. My buddy was told that it is the oldest of the junior golf championships and some big name Tour players have won it in the past. It is held at PGA National which is a good golf course so you would think more people would want to play in it.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 2125

Posted 30 April 2018 - 09:53 AM

The Championship event is a poorly run tournament.  It is a good field on quality courses, but poorly administered for the price people are paying to be there.  Many kids go to the event by themselves in the older divisions and it becomes a big party with a lot of liquor.  The college coaches don't show up to this event like they used to because there are just better summer events out there in the older age groups.

Edited by heavy_hitter, 30 April 2018 - 09:53 AM.

#3 Golfingdawg19

Golfingdawg19

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 354301
GolfWRX Likes : 170

Posted 30 April 2018 - 10:55 AM

Thanks Heavy. I was curious as to why it isn't as well attended as in the past.

#4 blaird

blaird

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63801
GolfWRX Likes : 495

Posted 10 May 2018 - 12:47 PM

I played in this event in 98 I think. I was 15 at the time, and it was a big deal back then. You had your AJGA events and the big ones associated with it (Polo, Lucent Technologies, etc) but the Optimist, Big I, Orange Bowl (played at Doral), Bubba Conlee, and Future Masters were the other big national events. I had a blast down there, even though I had a heat stroke after round 1 and wound up in the hospital for a few hours. But, I can see where what was said above is correct.

I stayed with a kid from Montana and somehow him and his buddies got their hands on a couple bottles of liquor after our final round. He gave me about half a bottle and me and another buddy went to the game room to shoot pool and drink. I look back now and know it was a dumb thing to do but I can see how that carried on to todays kids at this event.

I am shocked by how little weight it carries nowadays. This was a huge deal back in the day. I had to go thru a local and sectional qualifier to get in. It was a first rate tournament on great courses so Im a little surprised its not as big as it once was.

#5 tbrumbeloe13

tbrumbeloe13

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 323529
  • Handicap:+0.8
GolfWRX Likes : 152

Posted 02 June 2018 - 08:58 PM

I've played in it 2 times down at PGA National in the past 7 years. Seems to be run very well, and the winning scores are still very good I think. The entire field just doesn't seem to be as strong as it used to be. My dad runs the GA qualifier, and it does seem harder to find golfers to play in it. I really don't think alot of people know about it, and there's just alot of big junior tournaments that time of year. I think it used to be the Optimist Junior World Golf Championship. Optimist has kept running the same tournament, but Callaway has taken the Junior World title and kept it in California. I know PGA National has gone up in prices the past few years, and I heard they are moving it to Doral starting next year.

#6 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2018 - 03:18 PM

View Posttbrumbeloe13, on 02 June 2018 - 08:58 PM, said:

I've played in it 2 times down at PGA National in the past 7 years. Seems to be run very well, and the winning scores are still very good I think. The entire field just doesn't seem to be as strong as it used to be. My dad runs the GA qualifier, and it does seem harder to find golfers to play in it. I really don't think alot of people know about it, and there's just alot of big junior tournaments that time of year. I think it used to be the Optimist Junior World Golf Championship. Optimist has kept running the same tournament, but Callaway has taken the Junior World title and kept it in California. I know PGA National has gone up in prices the past few years, and I heard they are moving it to Doral starting next year.

The Optimist Junior Golf Website is horrible.  Very difficult to navigate.  Some qualifiers are better than others.

It isn't that PGA National has gone up in prices.  It is that the Optimist forces the kid to stay at PGA National.  I love PGA National Golf Courses, however, I can find many other resort style courses to stay at their for the entire family at half the cost.  From my house to PGA National takes me exactly 1 hour to go from my drive way to the entrance.  Unless a kid lives within a radius of 30 miles, they are forced to stay there.  In my mind, the Optimist tournament is more about filling hotel rooms than it is hosting a golf tournament.

Optimist is a big tournament in Florida and very few Florida kids play in it.  Last year in the boy's 14-15 Division there were 2 Florida kids.  In the 16-18 boy's there were only 6 Florida kids.  The Florida Kids that did play weren't the best of the best in Florida.

#7 CTgolf

CTgolf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124521
GolfWRX Likes : 210

Posted 05 June 2018 - 03:47 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 05 June 2018 - 03:18 PM, said:

The Optimist Junior Golf Website is horrible.  Very difficult to navigate.  Some qualifiers are better than others.

It isn't that PGA National has gone up in prices.  It is that the Optimist forces the kid to stay at PGA National.  I love PGA National Golf Courses, however, I can find many other resort style courses to stay at their for the entire family at half the cost.  From my house to PGA National takes me exactly 1 hour to go from my drive way to the entrance.  Unless a kid lives within a radius of 30 miles, they are forced to stay there.  In my mind, the Optimist tournament is more about filling hotel rooms than it is hosting a golf tournament.

Optimist is a big tournament in Florida and very few Florida kids play in it.  Last year in the boy's 14-15 Division there were 2 Florida kids.  In the 16-18 boy's there were only 6 Florida kids.  The Florida Kids that did play weren't the best of the best in Florida.

I heard that the cost of registration this year was $730 for qualifiers (discounted even more if you were a sectional winner), which includes 5 nights accommodation at PGA National, 3 tournament (18 hole) rounds, 5 breakfasts, and 4 dinners.

Practice rounds before the tournament are $41 each for competitors as well.

This doesn't sound bad to me at all.

#8 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2018 - 04:22 PM

View PostCTgolf, on 05 June 2018 - 03:47 PM, said:

I heard that the cost of registration this year was $730 for qualifiers (discounted even more if you were a sectional winner), which includes 5 nights accommodation at PGA National, 3 tournament (18 hole) rounds, 5 breakfasts, and 4 dinners.

The qualifier costs differ from site to site.  South Florida District is $85.00.

The winners from many Districts will be paid for by the local Districts for the 16-18 year old Divisions.  Some have more financial support than others and may offer in all divisions.  

Registration Fee Includes
The registration fee is $730 US per golfer (will be housed with roommate) which Includes:
  • Tournament entry fee for the golfer includes rounds of golf (practice rounds additional)
  • practice rounds must be booked and paid for by the individual—see schedule of activities
  • Five (5) nights lodging (additional fees apply for guests staying on property with golf for lodging and meals)
  • Five (5) breakfasts and four (4) dinners (lunch is on your own)
  • Access to all Optimist functions and special events
  • Optimist gift for golfer.
Here is the kicker.  That $730.00 doesn't include the price of your family staying in that room.  That cost is for them to have a roommate.  Are you going to let your 10 year old kid stay in a room with someone they don't know in a hotel that has very little supervision?  I know I wouldn't.  

I just think this tournament is about putting heads in beds during a slow time of the year for PGA National.  I would rather see the tournament played at PGA Village in Port St. Lucie which has 4 course.  Charge me $300 for the tournament and I can stay wherever I want.

They were supposed to move this to Trump National this year.  Still wouldn't be worth it for that cost to me.

#9 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2018 - 04:26 PM

PGA National courses are run by Arnold Palmer Management.  While The Championship course is great most of the year, the upkeep on the rest are just so so.  They are great courses, but Arnold Palmer Management runs everything at the lowest value possible.  I will just say, they are CHEAP, and overcharge for play.  While the courses aren't poorly maintained, there is definitely some room for improvement.  Disney Courses are run by Arnold Palmer also.  Cheap, Cheap, Cheap.

#10 tbrumbeloe13

tbrumbeloe13

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2018 - 05:20 PM

It's not that bad, but the cost to bring extra family is a lot. A lot of people will register for 1 parent, and then bring the whole family to stay in the hotel room. I'm not sure how the deal of staying at the resort all worked out, but I know that PGA National has taken control over more things than Optimist wanted them too. That is why they are moving. Parents could stay somewhere close if they didn't want to stay at the resort. I would say the price is pretty good for that much golf. At least for the GA qualifier, the district always tries to pay the entry fee for the first place winner of each age division. Sometimes there are 6 qualifying spots, but the GA district can only pay for the winner to go. A lot of the local Optimist clubs around here are good about "sponsoring" a player to go down there. Some of the golfers that play in the qualifiers are not the best off financially, and I know of multiple times that a local club was able to raise enough money or pay for a player and his family to be able to go. The tournament is run great, and the people that volunteer down there are amazing. But it is true that they don't attract the same level of golfers that they have in past years.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 tbrumbeloe13

tbrumbeloe13

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2018 - 05:24 PM

There may not have been that many, but there aren't always more kids from the closer states. It depends on how many qualifying spots the district has in each age group. That number depends on how many golfers played from that district in the previous year. The Minnesota district might be able to send 4 16-18 year olds, while the FL districts don't have that many spots available one year. I wouldn't expect that scenario to be the case, but the lack of Florida kids doesn't mean that much to me.

#12 CTgolf

CTgolf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2018 - 05:09 AM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 05 June 2018 - 04:22 PM, said:

The qualifier costs differ from site to site.  South Florida District is $85.00.

The winners from many Districts will be paid for by the local Districts for the 16-18 year old Divisions.  Some have more financial support than others and may offer in all divisions.  

Registration Fee Includes
The registration fee is $730 US per golfer (will be housed with roommate) which Includes:
  • Tournament entry fee for the golfer includes rounds of golf (practice rounds additional)
  • practice rounds must be booked and paid for by the individual—see schedule of activities
  • Five (5) nights lodging (additional fees apply for guests staying on property with golf for lodging and meals)
  • Five (5) breakfasts and four (4) dinners (lunch is on your own)
  • Access to all Optimist functions and special events
  • Optimist gift for golfer.
Here is the kicker.  That $730.00 doesn't include the price of your family staying in that room.  That cost is for them to have a roommate.  Are you going to let your 10 year old kid stay in a room with someone they don't know in a hotel that has very little supervision?  I know I wouldn't.  

I just think this tournament is about putting heads in beds during a slow time of the year for PGA National.  I would rather see the tournament played at PGA Village in Port St. Lucie which has 4 course.  Charge me $300 for the tournament and I can stay wherever I want.

They were supposed to move this to Trump National this year.  Still wouldn't be worth it for that cost to me.

Good point about extra charge for family - didn’t realize that

I did think it was strange the Championship is in July down in Florida - empty hotel otherwise!

#13 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2018 - 08:14 AM

View Posttbrumbeloe13, on 05 June 2018 - 05:24 PM, said:

There may not have been that many, but there aren't always more kids from the closer states. It depends on how many qualifying spots the district has in each age group. That number depends on how many golfers played from that district in the previous year. The Minnesota district might be able to send 4 16-18 year olds, while the FL districts don't have that many spots available one year. I wouldn't expect that scenario to be the case, but the lack of Florida kids doesn't mean that much to me.

When you have a big tournament in your own back yard you would expect that states kids to support the tournament.  The fact remains that the Optimist Tournament is going down hill.  It is shown by the lack of Florida kids not supporting the tournament.  Florida, Texas, California have the best players in the country playing there.  When the best players in Florida aren't even trying to qualify for this tournament, something is wrong.

#14 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2018 - 12:52 PM

Golfdawg and I just had a conversation through texts about the Optimist.

If you qualify for the tournament and the district is paying then your kid has to stay with a roommate at the resort.  If you want your kid to stay there with you, you have to pay the $710 entry fee and still pay for your families room on top of that.  Completely nuts.  Their tournament and I guess they can do what they want.  I live within an hours drive of PGA National.  Why would I pay $700+ dollars for a tournament so that my kid can stay with someone that he doesn't know?  I have know idea how this tournament has made it this long.  Like I said, it is about putting heads in beds and they do that by offering a junior golf tournament.

#15 CTgolf

CTgolf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2018 - 01:05 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 08 June 2018 - 12:52 PM, said:

If you qualify for the tournament and the district is paying then your kid has to stay with a roommate at the resort.  If you want your kid to stay there with you, you have to pay the $710 entry fee and still pay for your families room on top of that.  Completely nuts.  Their tournament and I guess they can do what they want.  I live within an hours drive of PGA National.  Why would I pay $700+ dollars for a tournament so that my kid can stay with someone that he doesn't know?  I have know idea how this tournament has made it this long.  Like I said, it is about putting heads in beds and they do that by offering a junior golf tournament.

Sounds like FL residents aren't the target customer

#16 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2018 - 01:33 PM

View PostCTgolf, on 08 June 2018 - 01:05 PM, said:

Just isn't Florida, that is anyone.  They basically tell you that if you can't stay there, you can't play.

#17 tbrumbeloe13

tbrumbeloe13

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2018 - 08:41 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 08 June 2018 - 01:33 PM, said:

View PostCTgolf, on 08 June 2018 - 01:05 PM, said:

Just isn't Florida, that is anyone.  They basically tell you that if you can't stay there, you can't play.
Basically yes, but the district can always pay the entry fee for the golfer, even if family comes. The family just has to cover the cost of how many parents/siblings they pay for.

#18 tiger1873

tiger1873

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 297

Posted 11 June 2018 - 09:21 PM

Tournaments like these Is more of a vacation then anything else.  Sometimes people just need an excuse to spend some money and go somewhere.

If your looking for ranking donít waste your money on stuff like this. There are plenty of big tournaments affiliated with junior PGA and AGJA to keep anyone busy.

Edited by tiger1873, 11 June 2018 - 09:23 PM.

#19 CTgolf

CTgolf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2018 - 03:48 AM

View Posttiger1873, on 11 June 2018 - 09:21 PM, said:

Tournaments like these Is more of a vacation then anything else.  Sometimes people just need an excuse to spend some money and go somewhere.

If your looking for ranking don’t waste your money on stuff like this. There are plenty of big tournaments affiliated with junior PGA and AGJA to keep anyone busy.

Makes sense

Does anyone know how Optimist compares to US Kids Worlds in Pinehurst or IMG Worlds?

How would you rank them?

#20 kcap

kcap

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 417624
GolfWRX Likes : 108

Posted 12 June 2018 - 06:50 AM

View Posttiger1873, on 11 June 2018 - 09:21 PM, said:

If your looking for ranking don't waste your money on stuff like this. There are plenty of big tournaments affiliated with junior PGA and AGJA to keep anyone busy.

I had never heard about this tournament but the thread got me intrigued.   If past champions are any indication then this tournament does attract players.  Just a cursory look at past champions and there were some notable names and juniors that i recognized.

To list a few - Joaquin Niemann (2014), Akshay Bhatia, Adrian Pendaries etc.

And if you really want to go back a few years.. a Pro by the name off Tiger Woods won the event for his age bracket in 84, 85, 88, 90, 91

Ernie Els (13-14yr) won it in 84,  Phil (as a 10yr old) in 1980, David Toms (15-16yr) in 84.  

Obviously what occurred 20-25 yr ago has no bearing on the current state of the tournament but I am sure my little guy who find it very cool to play in the same jr event as tiger, phil and ernie.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors