Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

My new ball, embarassed to admit it.

67 replies to this topic

#61 Longtom

Longtom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 437688
  • Handicap:18
  • Ebay ID:Longtom
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 12 May 2018 - 10:53 PM

Another vote for the 2018 Project A

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#62 uitar9

uitar9

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 349721
  • Handicap:LOL
GolfWRX Likes : 95

Posted 13 May 2018 - 10:12 AM

Been using the duo for a couple of years. Pick them up for 3 dozen for $50. Yellow for spring a and summer. Orange in the fall. I'm a slow speed older golfer. Ball works for me.
WITB
KZG OS11 12 degree driver
Calloway 16 5-wood
Calloway
20.5 heavenwood
Cobra 24.5 9-wood

KZG 5-PW irons
KZG 52 and 56 wedges
TM Spider mallet

#63 uitar9

uitar9

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 349721
  • Handicap:LOL
GolfWRX Likes : 95

Posted 15 May 2018 - 01:24 PM

Played the orange at men's night, 9 hole, last night.

I'm starting to think I may have gained 5-7 yards per iron/wedge practicing downswing this winter.

Ended up back of the green 3 or 4 times last night.

Ball felt great but its going a touch further than I remember from last year.
WITB
KZG OS11 12 degree driver
Calloway 16 5-wood
Calloway
20.5 heavenwood
Cobra 24.5 9-wood

KZG 5-PW irons
KZG 52 and 56 wedges
TM Spider mallet

#64 FKA HB

FKA HB

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 368145
GolfWRX Likes : 169

Posted 15 May 2018 - 02:41 PM

View Postkiwihacker, on 27 April 2018 - 04:43 PM, said:

I first became 'aware' of the qualities of the Wilson Duo when I came across this review some years ago. I made a hole in one with a Wilson Duo in 2014 so perhaps William Tornquist the IV was on to something.

http://www.golfrevie...tml?p=2#reviews

[Jun 23, 2012]

William Tornquist the IV
Scratch Golfer
Model Reviewed: Wilson Duo

My 25th birthday was two weeks ago. My family normally treats this special day as a week long event. This time, Mummy was placed in charge of birthday presents instead of Thomas, my loyal servent and caddie.

It goes without saying that Mummy has no clue when it comes to golf equipment and that would include golf balls. After accepting my larger presents that included a new E-Class Benz and several Lauren suits, I was a bit put off by her choices in golf-related purchases.

One of these was a box of Wilson Duo golf balls. Wilson? I had never previously uttered the word.

Later that afternoon I joined Biff and Louis at the club. After a lavish lunch and a nice single malt scotch we headed to the first tee. We set our wagers and proceeded to announce our ball type and number.

I told my fellow brethren "Look chaps, I'm playing a Wilson Duo #3 today. What a gas!" This statement was followed by several gut-wrenching laughs and a few looks of disgust by the starter.

I expected nothing. My first drive was a towering shot with a slight draw that bounced and then skittered across the fairway at a rapid pace, coming to rest approximately 285 yards from the tee.

Biff was aghast and Louis looked to be turning a pale shade of white. This was only the first drive of many i hit that day over 285 yards. My longest was 325 yards.

I would highly recommend the Wilson Duo. Such balls are normally beneath me but in this case I have no explanation. I have since bought an interest in Wilson and I shall be making an appearance at the next shareholder meeting.

Wilson Duo. Not the name I'd pick but a competent ball nonetheless.

Customer Service
To be put on hold? I think not.

Similar Products Used:
Henry Griffits Platinum Membership irons.

Kenny Smith Signature.

Johnny Nortin Sr. originals

Biff here.  I was with William Tornquist IV that day.  I can attest to his story 100%, though poor William has never been the same since that fateful day in 2012.  He began questioning his life of privilege, believing it all to be a sham.  He traded in his Ralph Lauren for The Mens' Warehouse, his Benz for a sensible 5 year old Camry.  Naturally, Louis and I kicked him to the curb, and shortly after, the club banned him from the premises.  Last I heard, he is a regular on the chipping green of the poor person's muni across the tracks, still extolling the virtues of the Duo to any and all who will listen.  The moral of the story is to be very careful about tossing luxury to the wind in favor of thriftiness.  The slope is slippery indeed.
Biff Kensington

#65 Tanner25

Tanner25

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,594 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46356
GolfWRX Likes : 316

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:00 PM

View Postuitar9, on 15 May 2018 - 01:24 PM, said:

Played the orange at men's night, 9 hole, last night.

I'm starting to think I may have gained 5-7 yards per iron/wedge practicing downswing this winter.

Ended up back of the green 3 or 4 times last night.

Ball felt great but its going a touch further than I remember from last year.

Doesn't the ball feel like a marshmallow, at 29 compression I don't think there's an ounce of firmness to it.

#66 Need2golfalot

Need2golfalot

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 399454
  • Handicap:10.1
GolfWRX Likes : 141

Posted 16 May 2018 - 02:30 PM

I play mostly public el cheap courses.  One of their strategies (or tragedies) is to let the greens grow long when the weather is hot so they don't have to pay someone to water them (I guess the sprinkler system does not work).

When you have to 'bash' the ball to get it to the hole, a hard type feels awful to me while the soft type such as the Duo is more palatable.  Conversely, on fast greens the soft type ball is more difficult to control distance and a more firm type is preferred.  This has been my experience and basis of opinion.

#67 nsxguy

nsxguy

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 431858
  • Handicap:4.4
GolfWRX Likes : 1134

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:19 PM

View PostNeed2golfalot, on 16 May 2018 - 02:30 PM, said:

I play mostly public el cheap courses.  One of their strategies (or tragedies) is to let the greens grow long when the weather is hot so they don't have to pay someone to water them (I guess the sprinkler system does not work).

When you have to 'bash' the ball to get it to the hole, a hard type feels awful to me while the soft type such as the Duo is more palatable.  Conversely, on fast greens the soft type ball is more difficult to control distance and a more firm type is preferred.  This has been my experience and basis of opinion.

My friend, there are a LOT of factors that go into caring for the greens. I can guarantee you they water them, probably at least twice a day (early morning and late afternoon).

One reason they are left long a lot of the time is that it IS a municipal course. The more play the course gets (people walking all over the green all day long) the more likely the greens will be left long-ish.

If they cut it short all the time you'd soon be putting on dirt. Especially in the heat of the Summer.

Edited by nsxguy, 16 May 2018 - 09:20 PM.

Callaway Fusion 9* Project X Handcrafted Hzrdus Black "60" 6.0
Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*
Ping G20 5-U, DG S300
Cleveland RTX-3 56* SW & 64* LW
TaylorMade Tour Spider Black

Chrome Soft TruvisYellow

#68 Need2golfalot

Need2golfalot

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 399454
  • Handicap:10.1
GolfWRX Likes : 141

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:59 AM

Yes, there are more factors in green care and maintenance.  And yes they do water them, sometimes more than twice per day when it is really hot.  They also save money by not sharpening the mower blades, not aerating and top dressing or overseeding.  And I guess saving money on chemicals.  They don't even cut new holes, they simple alternate between two hole locations.  One course in particular is such rough shape not many desire to play it so I can assure you it does not get much play.  I still enjoy trying to hit golf shots and playing the game even though the greens are long, slow and bumpy.  The benefit is a player can usually walk on in the afternoon with no wait even on a weekend, where the nicer courses will be fairly booked.  I should be embarrased to play this course and the locals will call it 'slumming it' when describing playing this course.  😆

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors