Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

2019 Houston Open


75 replies to this topic

#31 rockinar

rockinar

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,005 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63491
  • Joined: 08/17/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 947

Posted 02 May 2018 - 11:53 AM

Mayor Turner clearly does not play golf and knows nothing about it. Memorial Park is $25 muni course. To claim you want to host a PGA Tour stop at it is comical at best. It's like saying you want to hold Astros baseball games at a high school baseball field.

My opinion, there's not many courses in Houston that are PGA Tour worthy. They should move it back to The Woodlands or just scrap it totally.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#32 Rosco1216

Rosco1216

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 117052
  • Joined: 11/04/2010
  • Location:Oklahoma
  • Ebay ID:Rosco1216
GolfWRX Likes : 732

Posted 02 May 2018 - 12:06 PM

I just had a golf trip to Houston this past weekend and played the Golf club of Houston-Tournament course, Members Course  and Carlton Woods-Fazio course.

Tournament course I like the best, then CW-Fazio, then members.

Edited by Rosco1216, 02 May 2018 - 12:07 PM.

TM M3 8.2* - Synergy Black Proto 70tx
16* Cobra LTD - Xphlexx Agera
Fourteen Type-7 20* - Matrix Black Tie HM3 105xx.
Miura Giken CB 1008 4-P - Super Peening Blue X (hardstepped)
-or- J15CB 4-P - Modus 120 TX(w/sensicore)
SM5 50*, TM EF Tour Grind 55* & 60*, X100
Piretti Matera 2

https://www.instagram.com/ross.novak

2

#33 tiderider

tiderider

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 320763
  • Joined: 06/13/2014
  • Location:b'ham
  • Handicap:5ish
GolfWRX Likes : 697

Posted 02 May 2018 - 12:52 PM

there are 4 tournaments in texas already ... isn't the tour trying to shrink by 1 or 2 to get the new schedule to fit?

3

#34 msd71

msd71

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29710
  • Joined: 05/25/2007
  • Location:SC
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 189

Posted 02 May 2018 - 01:26 PM

Did they shorten Memorial Park?  I lived in Houston in the early 90s and I thought it measured 7333 - memorable number.  No pun intended...

4

#35 tiderider

tiderider

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 320763
  • Joined: 06/13/2014
  • Location:b'ham
  • Handicap:5ish
GolfWRX Likes : 697

Posted 02 May 2018 - 01:28 PM

somewhere in the 7300 range is what they always had on their card ... but it's a very benign 7300 yards ... most of the extra length is in the par fives and par threes ...


5

#36 TLUBulldogGolf

TLUBulldogGolf

    Sasquatch

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,278 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32821
  • Joined: 06/25/2007
  • Location:Houston, TX
  • Handicap:+1.8
  • Ebay ID:ajvesey08
GolfWRX Likes : 310

Posted 02 May 2018 - 01:47 PM

View Posttiderider, on 02 May 2018 - 01:28 PM, said:

somewhere in the 7300 range is what they always had on their card ... but it's a very benign 7300 yards ... most of the extra length is in the par fives and par threes ...

They would have to play it as a par 70. 8 and 13 are driver-mid iron par 5s. There are some good holes but there are also some very easy holes. It's not an easy course when they get the green speeds up (almost never due to foot traffic) and the rough up, but the work required to bring it up to speed would never happen in a year, not to mention the logistical issues (where are people going to park?).

I'd like to see it at Carlton Woods but I doubt the members would go for that.
Titleist 917 D3 9.5* Kiyoshi Black 65-05
Titleist 917 F3 15* Diamana D+ White 80-X
Titleist 818 H2 19* Tensei 100-TX
Mizuno JPX 900 Tour 3-9 PX 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM7 Raw 46* (Bent to 47*) F Grind PX 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM7 Raw 54* S Grind PX 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM6 Raw 60* M Grind X100
Odyssey Works #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT

6

#37 KillerPenguin

KillerPenguin

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126564
  • Joined: 04/13/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 244

Posted 02 May 2018 - 02:29 PM

Maybe this is laughable, but what about Bluejack National?  I know it's not mature yet, but it was designed to mimic ANGC's style to some degree (at least the no rough and lots of pine trees part of it).  And it's a Tiger-designed course which may draw some interest.  Thoughts?

7

#38 tiderider

tiderider

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 320763
  • Joined: 06/13/2014
  • Location:b'ham
  • Handicap:5ish
GolfWRX Likes : 697

Posted 02 May 2018 - 02:41 PM

they'd have to do something with #18 at memorial ... can't have a 390 yd par 4 finishing hole, unless they shortened it/toughened it and made it a risk/reward driveable hole ...

8

#39 golfnhack

golfnhack

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119615
  • Joined: 12/31/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 757

Posted 02 May 2018 - 02:51 PM

View PostKillerPenguin, on 02 May 2018 - 02:29 PM, said:

Maybe this is laughable, but what about Bluejack National?  I know it's not mature yet, but it was designed to mimic ANGC's style to some degree (at least the no rough and lots of pine trees part of it).  And it's a Tiger-designed course which may draw some interest.  Thoughts?

BlueJack National is not in Houston, so you would have to rename it. I think the intent is to keep the tournament in Houston. My vote is still for The Club at Houston Oaks.
"Some emotions cannot be endured with a golf club in your hand." - Bobby Jones

9

#40 TLUBulldogGolf

TLUBulldogGolf

    Sasquatch

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,278 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32821
  • Joined: 06/25/2007
  • Location:Houston, TX
  • Handicap:+1.8
  • Ebay ID:ajvesey08
GolfWRX Likes : 310

Posted 02 May 2018 - 02:58 PM

View Postgolfnhack, on 02 May 2018 - 02:51 PM, said:

View PostKillerPenguin, on 02 May 2018 - 02:29 PM, said:

Maybe this is laughable, but what about Bluejack National?  I know it's not mature yet, but it was designed to mimic ANGC's style to some degree (at least the no rough and lots of pine trees part of it).  And it's a Tiger-designed course which may draw some interest.  Thoughts?

BlueJack National is not in Houston, so you would have to rename it. I think the intent is to keep the tournament in Houston. My vote is still for The Club at Houston Oaks.

Houston Oaks isn't in Houston either. I think the only viable option in town is probably Champions.

Titleist 917 D3 9.5* Kiyoshi Black 65-05
Titleist 917 F3 15* Diamana D+ White 80-X
Titleist 818 H2 19* Tensei 100-TX
Mizuno JPX 900 Tour 3-9 PX 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM7 Raw 46* (Bent to 47*) F Grind PX 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM7 Raw 54* S Grind PX 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM6 Raw 60* M Grind X100
Odyssey Works #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#41 Birdie Mac

Birdie Mac

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 490658
  • Joined: 01/10/2018
  • Location:Houston, TX
  • Handicap:18
GolfWRX Likes : 120

Posted 02 May 2018 - 03:28 PM

View PostTLUBulldogGolf, on 02 May 2018 - 02:58 PM, said:

View Postgolfnhack, on 02 May 2018 - 02:51 PM, said:

View PostKillerPenguin, on 02 May 2018 - 02:29 PM, said:

Maybe this is laughable, but what about Bluejack National?  I know it's not mature yet, but it was designed to mimic ANGC's style to some degree (at least the no rough and lots of pine trees part of it).  And it's a Tiger-designed course which may draw some interest.  Thoughts?

BlueJack National is not in Houston, so you would have to rename it. I think the intent is to keep the tournament in Houston. My vote is still for The Club at Houston Oaks.

Houston Oaks isn't in Houston either. I think the only viable option in town is probably Champions.

I agree with this. There have been Tour events at Champions in the past. BlueJack is way too far out - it's an hour's drive from downtown vs. less than half an hour to GCOH. I doubt they could encourage the casual golf fan from the Houston metro area to make the trek, even if by shuttle.

I don't really understand the thought process of wanting to pour money into upgrading Memorial Park if you have another course that's already closer to being Tour ready. But then again, Ben Crane is a multi-millionaire and I'm...somewhat less than that.

11

#42 golfnhack

golfnhack

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119615
  • Joined: 12/31/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 757

Posted 02 May 2018 - 05:04 PM

View PostTLUBulldogGolf, on 02 May 2018 - 02:58 PM, said:

View Postgolfnhack, on 02 May 2018 - 02:51 PM, said:

View PostKillerPenguin, on 02 May 2018 - 02:29 PM, said:

Maybe this is laughable, but what about Bluejack National?  I know it's not mature yet, but it was designed to mimic ANGC's style to some degree (at least the no rough and lots of pine trees part of it).  And it's a Tiger-designed course which may draw some interest.  Thoughts?

BlueJack National is not in Houston, so you would have to rename it. I think the intent is to keep the tournament in Houston. My vote is still for The Club at Houston Oaks.

Houston Oaks isn't in Houston either. I think the only viable option in town is probably Champions.

I'd be OK with Champions... especially since I live literally walking distance from the course. :)
"Some emotions cannot be endured with a golf club in your hand." - Bobby Jones

12

#43 lc1342

lc1342

    Member

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 163 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 420396
  • Joined: 04/11/2016
  • Location:TX
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 14 May 2018 - 02:19 PM

https://www.golfdige...ltered-schedule

13

#44 lc1342

lc1342

    Member

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 163 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 420396
  • Joined: 04/11/2016
  • Location:TX
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 05 June 2018 - 10:01 PM

https://www.google.c...ve-12965634.php

14

#45 TLUBulldogGolf

TLUBulldogGolf

    Sasquatch

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,278 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32821
  • Joined: 06/25/2007
  • Location:Houston, TX
  • Handicap:+1.8
  • Ebay ID:ajvesey08
GolfWRX Likes : 310

Posted 06 June 2018 - 08:34 AM

If they are going to do it at Memorial I would like to see them flip the 9s for one. And play 8 and 13 as par 5s, or stretch out 13. I'd be interested to see what is done with the green complexes.

Titleist 917 D3 9.5* Kiyoshi Black 65-05
Titleist 917 F3 15* Diamana D+ White 80-X
Titleist 818 H2 19* Tensei 100-TX
Mizuno JPX 900 Tour 3-9 PX 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM7 Raw 46* (Bent to 47*) F Grind PX 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM7 Raw 54* S Grind PX 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM6 Raw 60* M Grind X100
Odyssey Works #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT

15

#46 JSSwift1

JSSwift1

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 312843
  • Joined: 05/03/2014
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:07 AM

View Posttiderider, on 02 May 2018 - 02:41 PM, said:

they'd have to do something with #18 at memorial ... can't have a 390 yd par 4 finishing hole, unless they shortened it/toughened it and made it a risk/reward driveable hole ...

View PostTLUBulldogGolf, on 06 June 2018 - 08:34 AM, said:

If they are going to do it at Memorial I would like to see them flip the 9s for one. And play 8 and 13 as par 5s, or stretch out 13. I'd be interested to see what is done with the green complexes.

This is all assuming no major work is done
I agree that 9 would be a much better finishing hole than 18.  They could stretch 18 out to almost 500 yards if they took out 1 tree and moved the tee back towards #4 tee, but that completely changes the character of the hole.  8 and 13 would be hard to stretch out without some crazy dirtwork, but there is room behind both of their greens to put them.

What I think should be done:
Flip the nines.  Lengthen 13 by moving the green south and a little east 50 yards, lengthen the fairway bunker to pinch in the landing area.  Move the green closer to the water, or put a bigger slope in front on 15.  Move 18 tee to the southeast, making the hole a little more risk/reward if they can take it over or around the trees on the inside of the dogleg.  Lengthen 8 by moving the green north.  Bring the creek on 9 into the fairway a little bit, forcing them to hit more than a half wedge into that green.  Redo all the green complex, and maybe completely redo one of the "boring" par 4's (3, 4, 10, 14, 17).  Grow the rough out and somehow get the greens to not look like a hail storm just hit them and it wouldn't be the worst golf course on tour.

16

#47 cjblake09

cjblake09

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,281 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15860
  • Joined: 07/03/2006
  • Location:Texas
GolfWRX Likes : 115

Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:29 AM

I would love to see it at Memorial but just can't imagine them getting that course up to PGA standards.

17

#48 nicodywill

nicodywill

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 400210
  • Joined: 10/20/2015
  • Location:Austin, Texas
GolfWRX Likes : 127

Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:43 AM

My takeaway from the latest article is that Jim Crane seems like a hell of a guy for both A.) Greater Houston area and B.) Golf and we're lucky to have him.

Additionally, as someone who just recently attended the Ft. Worth Invitational I can tell you for sure that withstanding a weather related miracle I would NOT go to a June Houston Open, and that I WOULD attend an October one.

View Postcjblake09, on 06 June 2018 - 09:29 AM, said:

I would love to see it at Memorial but just can't imagine them getting that course up to PGA standards.

They said they don't anticipate moving it out there until 2021, so a massive overhaul with that timeline in mind would probably make the track look so different you couldn't even tell what it used to be.

Edited by nicodywill, 06 June 2018 - 09:48 AM.


18

#49 cjblake09

cjblake09

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,281 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15860
  • Joined: 07/03/2006
  • Location:Texas
GolfWRX Likes : 115

Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:51 AM

It would take a massive overhaul for sure but then do you see the city of Houston keeping it up in fantastic condition going forward.  That course gets so much play i don't see how they could.

19

#50 TLUBulldogGolf

TLUBulldogGolf

    Sasquatch

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,278 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32821
  • Joined: 06/25/2007
  • Location:Houston, TX
  • Handicap:+1.8
  • Ebay ID:ajvesey08
GolfWRX Likes : 310

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:38 AM

View PostJSSwift1, on 06 June 2018 - 09:07 AM, said:

View Posttiderider, on 02 May 2018 - 02:41 PM, said:

they'd have to do something with #18 at memorial ... can't have a 390 yd par 4 finishing hole, unless they shortened it/toughened it and made it a risk/reward driveable hole ...

View PostTLUBulldogGolf, on 06 June 2018 - 08:34 AM, said:

If they are going to do it at Memorial I would like to see them flip the 9s for one. And play 8 and 13 as par 5s, or stretch out 13. I'd be interested to see what is done with the green complexes.

This is all assuming no major work is done
I agree that 9 would be a much better finishing hole than 18.  They could stretch 18 out to almost 500 yards if they took out 1 tree and moved the tee back towards #4 tee, but that completely changes the character of the hole.  8 and 13 would be hard to stretch out without some crazy dirtwork, but there is room behind both of their greens to put them.

What I think should be done:
Flip the nines.  Lengthen 13 by moving the green south and a little east 50 yards, lengthen the fairway bunker to pinch in the landing area.  Move the green closer to the water, or put a bigger slope in front on 15.  Move 18 tee to the southeast, making the hole a little more risk/reward if they can take it over or around the trees on the inside of the dogleg.  Lengthen 8 by moving the green north.  Bring the creek on 9 into the fairway a little bit, forcing them to hit more than a half wedge into that green.  Redo all the green complex, and maybe completely redo one of the "boring" par 4's (3, 4, 10, 14, 17).  Grow the rough out and somehow get the greens to not look like a hail storm just hit them and it wouldn't be the worst golf course on tour.

Number 9 has been lengthened and has a tee where it can play at 440 or so. If you are bold enough to hit driver on that tee you should be rewarded. I agree on 18. I would like to see 13 stay a par 5 and keep it a par 71 for the pros, but the hole is way too easy as it stands, definitely needs more length. 8 just needs to have the tees placed further back and it can be a 480 yard par 4.  I think 4 is a good hole but 3 needs more trouble down the right hand side. 10 and 14 need something to make them more difficult for sure. 17 just needs to be played all the way back,and needs some trouble left.

As far as conditioning I assume with a massive overhaul comes an increase in cost to play the course. I'm sure there would still be traffic but hopefully that could help things.

Edited by TLUBulldogGolf, 06 June 2018 - 10:39 AM.

Titleist 917 D3 9.5* Kiyoshi Black 65-05
Titleist 917 F3 15* Diamana D+ White 80-X
Titleist 818 H2 19* Tensei 100-TX
Mizuno JPX 900 Tour 3-9 PX 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM7 Raw 46* (Bent to 47*) F Grind PX 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM7 Raw 54* S Grind PX 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM6 Raw 60* M Grind X100
Odyssey Works #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#51 nicodywill

nicodywill

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 400210
  • Joined: 10/20/2015
  • Location:Austin, Texas
GolfWRX Likes : 127

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:57 AM

View Postcjblake09, on 06 June 2018 - 09:51 AM, said:

It would take a massive overhaul for sure but then do you see the city of Houston keeping it up in fantastic condition going forward.  That course gets so much play i don't see how they could.

Totally agreed, they would have to overhaul the whole situation not just the course. the grounds crew, the way it gets played, pricing, etc. etc.

21

#52 JSSwift1

JSSwift1

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 312843
  • Joined: 05/03/2014
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 06 June 2018 - 02:32 PM

View PostTLUBulldogGolf, on 06 June 2018 - 10:38 AM, said:

Number 9 has been lengthened and has a tee where it can play at 440 or so. If you are bold enough to hit driver on that tee you should be rewarded. I agree on 18. I would like to see 13 stay a par 5 and keep it a par 71 for the pros, but the hole is way too easy as it stands, definitely needs more length. 8 just needs to have the tees placed further back and it can be a 480 yard par 4.  I think 4 is a good hole but 3 needs more trouble down the right hand side. 10 and 14 need something to make them more difficult for sure. 17 just needs to be played all the way back,and needs some trouble left.

As far as conditioning I assume with a massive overhaul comes an increase in cost to play the course. I'm sure there would still be traffic but hopefully that could help things.

I agree that if you hit driver on 9 you should be rewarded, and if the green complex was reworked just a little bit, making it even more imperative to be accurate with your second, it could be a great hole.  8 would be a pretty good long par 4.  13 is just way too easy as it stands now and is in that in between yardage for those guys.

I think a major issue they will have to resolve is fan parking, and also setting up infrastructure.  There isn't much room right now for grandstands, and there is no locker room.  After a major overhaul like this they should increase the price, hopefully decreasing traffic (maybe the end of the 6 hour round?), and giving them some reserves to continue improving the course

22

#53 PuttLeftHitRight

PuttLeftHitRight

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 168147
  • Joined: 03/07/2012
  • Location:Houston, TX
GolfWRX Likes : 295

Posted 06 June 2018 - 03:04 PM

View PostRosco1216, on 02 May 2018 - 12:06 PM, said:

I just had a golf trip to Houston this past weekend and played the Golf club of Houston-Tournament course, Members Course  and Carlton Woods-Fazio course.

Tournament course I like the best, then CW-Fazio, then members.

Humble brag? How did you get on?

23

#54 CCTxGolf

CCTxGolf

    Going to the Masters...Someday

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 391812
  • Joined: 08/18/2015
  • Location:Corpus Christi
  • Handicap:9.3
GolfWRX Likes : 358

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:13 PM

Has a muni ever (in modern pga history) been flipped to pga standards like this? Especially in less than a year? And I understand the access to freeways with it being at the i10 and 610 intersection but where does everybody park?? On the actual park? Also, where in the hell are all the spectator supposed to stand? It just is simply NOT a pga tour caliber course. I don’t believe this is possible unless Jim Crane is some sort of miracle worker. Yes the Floridian is awesome but that’s also in the middle of the richest golf club area in the world.

Edit - and when I say muni that is EXACTLY what this course epitomizes. Constant flow of people. A bunch of beat up hitting matts/bays for a driving range. A mile long walk on list starting at the crack of dawn 7 days a week. Close your eyes and imagine an urban muni, you’ll see Memorial Park.

Edited by CCTxGolf, 06 June 2018 - 10:18 PM.

Driver - Callaway EPIC SZ 10.5*
Fairway Wood - Titleist 917 F2 16.5* and 21*
Irons - Titleist AP2 4-PW
Wedges - Titleist SM 5 52*, Titleist SM 6 56* and 60*
Putter - Scotty Cameron Golo 5 or Odyssey Toe Up #1

24

#55 grm24

grm24

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,342 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4801
  • Joined: 08/09/2005
  • Location:Western PA
GolfWRX Likes : 1873

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:22 PM

View PostCCTxGolf, on 06 June 2018 - 10:13 PM, said:

Has a muni ever (in modern pga history) been flipped to pga standards like this? Especially in less than a year?
Per the article linked in this thread the Houston Open would remain at the Golf Club Of Houston through 2020 while Memorial would be reconstructed. As to the first part of your question Bethpage Black was redone to USGA/PGA Tour standards but it takes longer than 1 year. Same with Harding Park in San Francisco.

https://www.houstonc...ve-12965634.php

Crane is proposing a mid-October date in the fall of 2019, with the tournament continuing to be played on the Golf Club of Houston course at least through 2020, pending a move to Houston's public Memorial Park course following a massive redo. The 64-year-old global shipping and logistics magnate, a St. Louis-area native who made his fortune after moving to Houston in 1980, said he's willing to take a lead fundraising role for that project as well.

"Once (the PGA) says go, we start pulling money together to renovate the course," he said. "I think we could raise the money in a year. You could play there in 2021, if you're lucky. That would be fabulous. We could get something going like (the) Phoenix (Open, sponsored by Waste Management), where you have a big turnout and raise a ton of money. You'd be able to draw crowds there."


25

#56 CCTxGolf

CCTxGolf

    Going to the Masters...Someday

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 391812
  • Joined: 08/18/2015
  • Location:Corpus Christi
  • Handicap:9.3
GolfWRX Likes : 358

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:32 PM

View Postgrm24, on 06 June 2018 - 10:22 PM, said:

View PostCCTxGolf, on 06 June 2018 - 10:13 PM, said:

Has a muni ever (in modern pga history) been flipped to pga standards like this? Especially in less than a year?
Per the article linked in this thread the Houston Open would remain at the Golf Club Of Houston through 2020 while Memorial would be reconstructed. As to the first part of your question Bethpage Black was redone to USGA/PGA Tour standards but it takes longer than 1 year. Same with Harding Park in San Francisco.

https://www.houstonc...ve-12965634.php

Crane is proposing a mid-October date in the fall of 2019, with the tournament continuing to be played on the Golf Club of Houston course at least through 2020, pending a move to Houston's public Memorial Park course following a massive redo. The 64-year-old global shipping and logistics magnate, a St. Louis-area native who made his fortune after moving to Houston in 1980, said he's willing to take a lead fundraising role for that project as well.

"Once (the PGA) says go, we start pulling money together to renovate the course," he said. "I think we could raise the money in a year. You could play there in 2021, if you're lucky. That would be fabulous. We could get something going like (the) Phoenix (Open, sponsored by Waste Management), where you have a big turnout and raise a ton of money. You'd be able to draw crowds there."


Interesting. And thanks for those examples.

It seems that crane definitely needs the Golf Club of Houston to agree to keep the tournament going for a couple more years for him to have a chance to make those kinds of upgrades. It would certainly be interesting. I am still just very skeptical as to how memorial park could handle the spectators much less have  the extreme golf course makeover of the century in even 3 years.

Edited by CCTxGolf, 06 June 2018 - 10:34 PM.

Driver - Callaway EPIC SZ 10.5*
Fairway Wood - Titleist 917 F2 16.5* and 21*
Irons - Titleist AP2 4-PW
Wedges - Titleist SM 5 52*, Titleist SM 6 56* and 60*
Putter - Scotty Cameron Golo 5 or Odyssey Toe Up #1

26

#57 scott_Donald

scott_Donald

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104074
  • Joined: 02/28/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 252

Posted 07 June 2018 - 03:05 AM

very interesting latest idea.

and I like the driving range at memorial, go there in the summer three times a week.

Taylormade M3 8.5* Tensei Orange 70TX
Taylormade M2 Tour 14* Speeder TS 8.2X
Taylormade P790 UDI C taper X
Mizuno Mp 25 4-6  C taper X
Mizuno Mp 5 7-9 C taper X

Vokey SM7 RAW 46*F C taper X
Vokey SM7 RAW 50*F C taper X
Vokey SM7 RAW 54*M S400

Vokey SM7 RAW 60*M S400
Nike Method Origin B2/01


27

#58 golfnhack

golfnhack

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119615
  • Joined: 12/31/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 757

Posted 07 June 2018 - 10:52 AM

View Postscott_Donald, on 07 June 2018 - 03:05 AM, said:

very interesting latest idea.

and I like the driving range at memorial, go there in the summer three times a week.

No way pros will hit off of mats!
"Some emotions cannot be endured with a golf club in your hand." - Bobby Jones

28

#59 rebby

rebby

    CNH 320

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,775 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65340
  • Joined: 09/10/2008
  • Location:TPC Twin Cities
  • Ebay ID:traveler55413
GolfWRX Likes : 803

Posted 07 June 2018 - 11:24 AM

I’m biased here but I really think that the PGA Tour needs to pass on having this in Houston. This event has a sponsor and a location that is already ready and waiting to host a PGA Tour event. The June date is ideal as well.

3M is ready, waiting, and willing to host this at TPC Twin Cities. All we’re waiting on is the word “go”. Arnie already mapped out the course changes which could be completed in short order, we’d be ready to go by June of 2019 without issue. TPC is already hosting the 3M Champions Tour event so the majority of the logistics are already accounted for as well.

I was sad to see the end of Shell’s support of this event and I would miss the Houston Open but I believe that the writing is on the wall and it’s time to move on.

ETA: https://www.golfdige...ternal-squabble

Edited by rebby, 07 June 2018 - 11:25 AM.

G400, Atmos Blue 6x | TEE CB Pro F2, Atmos Red 7x
TM P730 3-PW, KBS $-Taper 125 - Miura 1957 2/4-PW, KBS Tour-V 125
Ben Hogan TK 53/58 - 52/57/62, KBS Wedge 130
Mann Mini - Cameron CT | TP5x | My WITB Thread

29

#60 cjblake09

cjblake09

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,281 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15860
  • Joined: 07/03/2006
  • Location:Texas
GolfWRX Likes : 115

Posted 07 June 2018 - 12:13 PM

View Postscott_Donald, on 07 June 2018 - 03:05 AM, said:

very interesting latest idea.

and I like the driving range at memorial, go there in the summer three times a week.

Wait, you like to hit those ball with zero compression that go nowhere?  I work right by it so i go just to hit balls on occasion( and to see what is going around memorial on the trail) but i dont take much stock in how i hit them b/c the balls are so old.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors