Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Walmart Ball Test

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 DublAK2

DublAK2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 499606
  • Handicap:20
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 25 April 2018 - 10:40 AM

I started a thread last week about quality two piece balls because that's what my game deserves at best. I got a lot of good info and suggestions, definitely stuff I'm going to use in the future.

It gave me an idea. Friend's little brother works at Walmart and can get me items that customers opened up and essentially ruined, but this includes golf balls if somebody pocketed a ball or sleeve out of the packaging. I got my hands on some single sleeve budget balls, the Nitro Pulsar, Strata Smash, and Strata Voodoo. I did my own testing for putting/chipping/pitching feel on my rug and I have a net/mat in my backyward.

I'm looking for a low spin ball with some nice feel for putting and chipping. I compared these three to some other balls I had or found. The lineup was as follows: Pinnacle practice (range ball?), Top Flite XL (year?), Nitro Blaster (2014), Titleist Prov 1 (year?), Bridgestone e6 soft (2017), Callaway Supersoft (year?) Strata Voodoo (2018), Strata Smash (2018), Nitro Pulsar (2018).
Soft feel in descending order:

Softest in descending order
1. Callaway Supersoft
2. Bridgestone e6
T3. Prov1, Strata Smash, Strata Voodoo
6. Nitro Pulsar
7. Nitro Blaster
8. Pinaccle practice
9. Top Flite XL

Afterthoughts
-I totally expected the Pinaccle Practice to feel the hardest since I think it's a range ball. However, the Top Flite XL takes the cake by miles. Not another ball even close.
-In the same way that the TopFlite XL was the hardest, the Callaway Supersoft was softest. It felt like a marsh mellow. Some people like that, but too much for me.
-e6 felt best to me but at $28/dozen I can be bought
-The Nitro Pulsar is apparently a 3 piece ball for $15/dozen. I don't have any spin numbers for it and I didn't get to see it land on a green so no idea how it works as a performer.
-The Strata balls felt really neutral to me, and I liked it. No idea if they shoot straight or not. One thing perplexed me though. The packaging is cool but with even less information than a typical golf ball package. These balls are $15/dozen and $18/fifteen respectively, that's roughly the same price. Unless they are designed to perform differently, why produce two balls of the same quality?
- I expected the ProV1 to feel something amazing but I suppose its magic is more in the spin.

Edited by DublAK2, 25 April 2018 - 11:34 AM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 lenman73

lenman73

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83832
GolfWRX Likes : 412

Posted 25 April 2018 - 11:15 AM

I bought some strata tours a couple years ago at $7 a box. Same thing there, no info on the box so researching it, I found they are under the callaway umbrella.

#3 lil'mike

lil'mike

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 436656
  • Ebay ID:mrgolf2k
GolfWRX Likes : 164

Posted 25 April 2018 - 11:16 AM

Have you tried the Precept Power Drive golf balls?  They are super cheap online for new one like $5 a dozen or less.  I guess they are gonna stop making them so Home Depot carried them to clear them out at that price awhile back.

I found one last year and hit it for a couple of holes and it doesn't seem like a too bad of ball for a two piece!  I was surprised as it was no Rock Flite!

Edited by lil'mike, 25 April 2018 - 11:17 AM.

#4 DublAK2

DublAK2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2018 - 12:10 PM

the balls in question

https://www.amazon.c...B073CVZ9K8?th=1

https://www.amazon.c...n/dp/B076JLYV15

https://www.amazon.c...s/dp/B076JSXGX5

#5 bigcountry1219

bigcountry1219

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 499516
  • Ebay ID:flyhightix
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 25 April 2018 - 12:23 PM

Budget balls definitely have their place. You want to be the best driver off the tee in a scramble? Play a budget ball.

#6 MixedBag

MixedBag

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 142199
GolfWRX Likes : 159

Posted 02 May 2018 - 10:19 AM

You are totally missing out not trying the Snell Get Sum ball.  It's a great 2-piece ball and outperformed a lot of high end balls for me.

#7 Elite_Digger

Elite_Digger

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 79587
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 03 May 2018 - 07:43 PM

Actually a ball that's readily available at Walmart, gets great distance and is soft yet still spins acceptably (for what it is...) is.... the Noodle+. The course I was playing regularly last summer is in the middle of a marsh...very unforgiving if you're not accurate...lots of forced carries over marsh and water and quite a few holes the marsh comes up to within a couple yards of the fairway. I can play almost any other course in the area and lose none or 1, maybe 2 balls on a bad day, yet on this course I was regularly losing 3-4. Tired of losing more expensive balls, I decided to buy some cheaper balls just for that course and having played the Noodle+ from time to time years ago I decided to buy some more. They're just a really solid ball that has just about everything except loads of short game spin (they have some but they'll never be confused with a ProV). For under $20 though, they're really not a bad ball.

#8 KCCO

KCCO

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138532
GolfWRX Likes : 592

Posted 03 May 2018 - 07:56 PM

My budget ball is project (a).....play well off tee, around green. I think $30?
Titleist 917 D3   Tour Spec Speeder
Titleist 917 F2   Tensei Orange
Titleist 818 H2   Tensei White
Titleist 718 CB 4-PW KBS C-Taper Limited Gun Metal
PXG Darkness 52/58    MCI-100 black
009 ProV1

#9 Tanner25

Tanner25

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,760 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46356
GolfWRX Likes : 340

Posted 03 May 2018 - 08:55 PM

Elite_Digger, on 03 May 2018 - 07:43 PM, said:

Actually a ball that's readily available at Walmart, gets great distance and is soft yet still spins acceptably (for what it is...) is.... the Noodle+. The course I was playing regularly last summer is in the middle of a marsh...very unforgiving if you're not accurate...lots of forced carries over marsh and water and quite a few holes the marsh comes up to within a couple yards of the fairway. I can play almost any other course in the area and lose none or 1, maybe 2 balls on a bad day, yet on this course I was regularly losing 3-4. Tired of losing more expensive balls, I decided to buy some cheaper balls just for that course and having played the Noodle+ from time to time years ago I decided to buy some more. They're just a really solid ball that has just about everything except loads of short game spin (they have some but they'll never be confused with a ProV). For under $20 though, they're really not a bad ball.

+1 About 10+ years ago, with a less crowded ball market. The Noodle was my go to ball. Nothing wrong with it.

#10 Bigarch

Bigarch

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 465696
  • Handicap:4.2
GolfWRX Likes : 620

Posted 03 May 2018 - 09:26 PM

lil, on 25 April 2018 - 11:16 AM, said:

Have you tried the Precept Power Drive golf balls?  They are super cheap online for new one like $5 a dozen or less.  I guess they are gonna stop making them so Home Depot carried them to clear them out at that price awhile back.

I found one last year and hit it for a couple of holes and it doesn't seem like a too bad of ball for a two piece!  I was surprised as it was no Rock Flite!

I loaded up at Home Depot around Christmastime and played them all winter.  It's now my "go to" scramble tee shot ball.  The thing is pretty long and stays exactly on the line that it's hit.  Tough to make it spin offline.

• Driver - Taylormade 2016 M1 10.5* Fujukura Pro 60
  • Fairway - Adams Fairway Blue 16* Stock Slim Tech Stiff
  • Hybrid -  Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Fujikura S +.5"
  • 4-PW- Mizuno JPX EX Forged +1.25"
  • Wedges - 52, 56, 60 Cleveland 588 RTX 588 Apollo MatchFlex +1"
  • Putter - Cleveland Classic 10  - 34.5"

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 DublAK2

DublAK2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2018 - 05:39 PM

Anyone know a thing about the Strata balls other than that's its a Callaway brand? I now have a VooDoo, Smash, and Boom. They all feel the exact same to me, but they have price differences. Why? The package marketing BS is even more vague than other balls.

#12 Sean_D

Sean_D

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 506958
  • Handicap:26.2

Posted 10 July 2018 - 03:17 PM

The Pinnacle Practice is not a range ball. Titleist (who own Pinnacle) have changed what was the X-Out to "Practice". Essentially, they are balls that didn't pass QC for one reason or another and could not be sold as 1st quality.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors