Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

ben hogan ft worth black irons


239 replies to this topic

#181 Jagpilotohio

Jagpilotohio

    Go Bucks!!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,972 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 395936
  • Joined: 09/14/2015
  • Location:Columbus, OH
  • Handicap:1.2
  • Ebay ID:Jagpilotohio
GolfWRX Likes : 4630

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:53 PM

I guess all our bitching finally paid off.

Now all you guys saying you donít like Tour-Vís have an option.  I happen to like my 120Xís, but I get it...some people have to have their DGís.

Edited by Jagpilotohio, 13 June 2018 - 02:15 PM.

9.5* Cobra LTD,  Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
4-9 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X
Ping glide2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 stealth, Recoil Proto 125 F5
SM6 60-08 (at 61), S400 Black Onyx.
33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
Srixon Z-star XV

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#182 BlackM00Nlight

BlackM00Nlight

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,732 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 422626
  • Joined: 04/26/2016
  • Location:Iowa
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 1213

Posted 13 June 2018 - 03:02 PM

Personally would love to test these against the MP-18ís The v-sole has me intrigued. Havenít ever played that sole before.
Nike Vapor Fly 10.5 Tensei Blue 55 X
Nike Vapor Fly 15 Tensei Blue 65F X
Nike Vapor Pro Combo 2-A wedge AMT X100 (plus 1/2" 3 up)
Nike Engage Dual Sole 58 DG S400 (plus 1/2" 3up)
Nike Origin B1-01 35" putter
Nike RZN Tour Platinum
Nike TW 71 White/Pure Platinum
Nike TW 71 Wolf Grey/University Red
Nike TW 15 University Red/Black

Nike TW 15 Metallic Silver/Black
Nike TW 15 Black/University Red
Nike TW 15 Midnight Navy/Black
Nike Lunar Vapor Storm Black/Solar Red
Nike Performance Cart IV Black/Silver
Nike Vapor Fly Umbrella
Bag Boy Tri-Swivel II Push-Cart Black

2

#183 Jbar

Jbar

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97176
  • Joined: 10/23/2009
  • Location:Austin, TX
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 14 June 2018 - 08:32 AM

Wow! I am in the championship bracket of the match play event. Ben Hogan team rushed my order in time to practice a bit on the range during the scorchy heat in Arizona before the event.

I had been using Pro V1 for my previous set of Apex CF16/Pro. After couple range sessions using NXT Tour S practice balls, I realized that I might need AVX for my Black set. Did not even try new balls and irons in a practice round until the first match and controlled perfectly in every shot using Ft Worth Black! Tour-V X performs better on course because of the balls that I preferred to play with instead of range balls. Honestly, I'm surprised that I am more consistency with Tour V X, especially with forged blades. Still gonna tweaking the irons anyway :)

I am hoping to see if there are golfers in Phoenix area using PTx and others then meet up at the range to try out the clubs. Let me know!

3

#184 mstrege

mstrege

    Member

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 79928
  • Joined: 04/13/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 23 June 2018 - 05:25 PM

I placed my order today for the Blacks.  I currently game Hogan Apex FTX irons.  I hope they can beat their 2 week SLA, I have some time off work in about a week and would love to have them by then.

4

#185 tomc262

tomc262

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 134794
  • Joined: 08/01/2011
  • Location:Kansas, USA
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 23 June 2018 - 08:53 PM

Placed my order with DG shafts! Should arrive by end of day on Tuesday the 26th!!  Can't wait to get them out to the range.

Titleist 905T Fujikura Speeder
Callaway SteelheadXR 4+ (16*)
Titleist 816h2 19* Hybrid (Set to 18*)
Ben Hogan Golf Ft. Worth Black 4-PW
Vokey SM7 Black 52, 68
Ping Zing2 BeCu

5

#186 Jagpilotohio

Jagpilotohio

    Go Bucks!!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,972 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 395936
  • Joined: 09/14/2015
  • Location:Columbus, OH
  • Handicap:1.2
  • Ebay ID:Jagpilotohio
GolfWRX Likes : 4630

Posted 23 June 2018 - 09:09 PM

 tomc262, on 23 June 2018 - 08:53 PM, said:

Placed my order with DG shafts! Should arrive by end of day on Tuesday the 26th!!  Can't wait to get them out to the range.

Nice.  Post your thoughts after you hit them. I’m trying to convince myself I need another set.

I love my PTx, so it’s totally unnecessary....but, oh well..you know how that goes,
9.5* Cobra LTD,  Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
4-9 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X
Ping glide2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 stealth, Recoil Proto 125 F5
SM6 60-08 (at 61), S400 Black Onyx.
33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
Srixon Z-star XV

6

#187 Nixhex524

Nixhex524

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,971 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 305437
  • Joined: 04/03/2014
  • Handicap:4.3
  • Ebay ID:Nixhex524
GolfWRX Likes : 1359

Posted 23 June 2018 - 11:22 PM

 Jagpilotohio, on 23 June 2018 - 09:09 PM, said:

 tomc262, on 23 June 2018 - 08:53 PM, said:

Placed my order with DG shafts! Should arrive by end of day on Tuesday the 26th!!  Can't wait to get them out to the range.

Nice.  Post your thoughts after you hit them. I’m trying to convince myself I need another set.

I love my PTx, so it’s totally unnecessary....but, oh well..you know how that goes,

Those PTx are really nice irons, too.  Was on the site looking at the blacks and when I saw the PTx, it was instant dilemma  LOL   I am strongly considering ordering a set of the blacks though... between the V sole and the finish, I am thinking they are some irons with real potential for me.  Even though I really do not need them.  

Really looking forward to hearing some feedback on these.
Ping G400 9*
Taylormade M2 15*
Srixon U45 20*
Srixon Z745 4-P
Titleist SM6 52/58
Byron Morgan DH89

7

#188 Jagpilotohio

Jagpilotohio

    Go Bucks!!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,972 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 395936
  • Joined: 09/14/2015
  • Location:Columbus, OH
  • Handicap:1.2
  • Ebay ID:Jagpilotohio
GolfWRX Likes : 4630

Posted 23 June 2018 - 11:25 PM

 Nixhex524, on 23 June 2018 - 11:22 PM, said:

 Jagpilotohio, on 23 June 2018 - 09:09 PM, said:

 tomc262, on 23 June 2018 - 08:53 PM, said:

Placed my order with DG shafts! Should arrive by end of day on Tuesday the 26th!!  Can't wait to get them out to the range.

Nice.  Post your thoughts after you hit them. I’m trying to convince myself I need another set.

I love my PTx, so it’s totally unnecessary....but, oh well..you know how that goes,

Those PTx are really nice irons, too.  Was on the site looking at the blacks and when I saw the PTx, it was instant dilemma  LOL   I am strongly considering ordering a set of the blacks though... between the V sole and the finish, I am thinking they are some irons with real potential for me.  Even though I really do not need them.  

Really looking forward to hearing some feedback on these.

Demo them. $20.  Covers shipping two clubs to you and a prepaid tag to send them back.  Two weeks to try them.
9.5* Cobra LTD,  Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
4-9 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X
Ping glide2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 stealth, Recoil Proto 125 F5
SM6 60-08 (at 61), S400 Black Onyx.
33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
Srixon Z-star XV

8

#189 Nixhex524

Nixhex524

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,971 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 305437
  • Joined: 04/03/2014
  • Handicap:4.3
  • Ebay ID:Nixhex524
GolfWRX Likes : 1359

Posted 23 June 2018 - 11:34 PM

 Jagpilotohio, on 23 June 2018 - 11:25 PM, said:

 Nixhex524, on 23 June 2018 - 11:22 PM, said:

 Jagpilotohio, on 23 June 2018 - 09:09 PM, said:

 tomc262, on 23 June 2018 - 08:53 PM, said:

Placed my order with DG shafts! Should arrive by end of day on Tuesday the 26th!!  Can't wait to get them out to the range.

Nice.  Post your thoughts after you hit them. I’m trying to convince myself I need another set.

I love my PTx, so it’s totally unnecessary....but, oh well..you know how that goes,

Those PTx are really nice irons, too.  Was on the site looking at the blacks and when I saw the PTx, it was instant dilemma  LOL   I am strongly considering ordering a set of the blacks though... between the V sole and the finish, I am thinking they are some irons with real potential for me.  Even though I really do not need them.  

Really looking forward to hearing some feedback on these.

Demo them. $20.  Covers shipping two clubs to you and a prepaid tag to send them back.  Two weeks to try them.

I think I may do that.... does it take 2 weeks to get the demos or is that just for whole sets?
Ping G400 9*
Taylormade M2 15*
Srixon U45 20*
Srixon Z745 4-P
Titleist SM6 52/58
Byron Morgan DH89

9

#190 GlockamoleTX

GlockamoleTX

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 502542
  • Joined: 05/22/2018
  • Location:Texas
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 24 June 2018 - 04:16 PM

 Nixhex524, on 23 June 2018 - 11:34 PM, said:

 Jagpilotohio, on 23 June 2018 - 11:25 PM, said:

 Nixhex524, on 23 June 2018 - 11:22 PM, said:

 Jagpilotohio, on 23 June 2018 - 09:09 PM, said:

 tomc262, on 23 June 2018 - 08:53 PM, said:

Placed my order with DG shafts! Should arrive by end of day on Tuesday the 26th!!  Can't wait to get them out to the range.

Nice.  Post your thoughts after you hit them. I’m trying to convince myself I need another set.

I love my PTx, so it’s totally unnecessary....but, oh well..you know how that goes,

Those PTx are really nice irons, too.  Was on the site looking at the blacks and when I saw the PTx, it was instant dilemma  LOL   I am strongly considering ordering a set of the blacks though... between the V sole and the finish, I am thinking they are some irons with real potential for me.  Even though I really do not need them.  

Really looking forward to hearing some feedback on these.

Demo them. $20.  Covers shipping two clubs to you and a prepaid tag to send them back.  Two weeks to try them.

I think I may do that.... does it take 2 weeks to get the demos or is that just for whole sets?

Ordered my Edge demos online late Tuesday evening and had them in hand Thursday noon in the Austin area.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#191 Tzoid

Tzoid

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5124
  • Joined: 08/14/2005
  • Location:Maryland
  • Handicap:5
  • Ebay ID:twallermizman
GolfWRX Likes : 499

Posted 24 June 2018 - 05:13 PM

I guess they stopped making the Ft Worth Irons in Chrome- Brushed Stainless?
Texan stranded in "The Peoples Republic of Maryland"
Ping G400 Max Driver Aldila Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 60
Ping G400 3 Wood Aldila Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 70
Ping G25 20 & Anser 23 Hybrid
ONOFF KURO 2015 4-PW N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 120S
Scratch 50 54 58 Forged Wedges  Nippon WV 115 Shafts
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Studio Stainless
Ping Vault 2.0 Dale Anser Custom
Titleist Pro V-1X

11

#192 Jagpilotohio

Jagpilotohio

    Go Bucks!!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,972 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 395936
  • Joined: 09/14/2015
  • Location:Columbus, OH
  • Handicap:1.2
  • Ebay ID:Jagpilotohio
GolfWRX Likes : 4630

Posted 24 June 2018 - 05:18 PM

 Tzoid, on 24 June 2018 - 05:13 PM, said:

I guess they stopped making the Ft Worth Irons in Chrome- Brushed Stainless?

Just noticed it too.  Not on their page anymore.  Perhaps they are going to get rid of the loft numbers and go with the standard 4-P sets like in the blacks and just haven’t made any yet.

It would be VERY  weird to not have a  chrome version available.
9.5* Cobra LTD,  Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
4-9 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X
Ping glide2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 stealth, Recoil Proto 125 F5
SM6 60-08 (at 61), S400 Black Onyx.
33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
Srixon Z-star XV

12

#193 tomc262

tomc262

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 134794
  • Joined: 08/01/2011
  • Location:Kansas, USA
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 10 July 2018 - 12:46 PM

 Jagpilotohio, on 23 June 2018 - 09:09 PM, said:

 tomc262, on 23 June 2018 - 08:53 PM, said:

Placed my order with DG shafts! Should arrive by end of day on Tuesday the 26th!!  Can't wait to get them out to the range.

Nice.  Post your thoughts after you hit them. I’m trying to convince myself I need another set.

I love my PTx, so it’s totally unnecessary....but, oh well..you know how that goes,

They are super solid and very forgiving. First round was in my weekly 9-hole league; overall played poorly but the bright spot were the irons. My miss is out on the toe and didn’t notice the kind of distance loss with these compared to other blades I have in the garage. If you are on the fence I say go forward and prosper with these beauties!!
IMG_1531244744.427679.jpg
Titleist 905T Fujikura Speeder
Callaway SteelheadXR 4+ (16*)
Titleist 816h2 19* Hybrid (Set to 18*)
Ben Hogan Golf Ft. Worth Black 4-PW
Vokey SM7 Black 52, 68
Ping Zing2 BeCu

13

#194 BlackM00Nlight

BlackM00Nlight

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,732 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 422626
  • Joined: 04/26/2016
  • Location:Iowa
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 1213

Posted 10 July 2018 - 01:17 PM

 tomc262, on 10 July 2018 - 12:46 PM, said:

 Jagpilotohio, on 23 June 2018 - 09:09 PM, said:

 tomc262, on 23 June 2018 - 08:53 PM, said:

Placed my order with DG shafts! Should arrive by end of day on Tuesday the 26th!!  Can't wait to get them out to the range.

Nice.  Post your thoughts after you hit them. Iím trying to convince myself I need another set.

I love my PTx, so itís totally unnecessary....but, oh well..you know how that goes,

They are super solid and very forgiving. First round was in my weekly 9-hole league; overall played poorly but the bright spot were the irons. My miss is out on the toe and didnít notice the kind of distance loss with these compared to other blades I have in the garage. If you are on the fence I say go forward and prosper with these beauties!!
IMG_1531244744.427679.jpg

How do you like the sole? Iíve never played the v sole. Current irons have the beveled leading edge (vapor pro combos).
Nike Vapor Fly 10.5 Tensei Blue 55 X
Nike Vapor Fly 15 Tensei Blue 65F X
Nike Vapor Pro Combo 2-A wedge AMT X100 (plus 1/2" 3 up)
Nike Engage Dual Sole 58 DG S400 (plus 1/2" 3up)
Nike Origin B1-01 35" putter
Nike RZN Tour Platinum
Nike TW 71 White/Pure Platinum
Nike TW 71 Wolf Grey/University Red
Nike TW 15 University Red/Black

Nike TW 15 Metallic Silver/Black
Nike TW 15 Black/University Red
Nike TW 15 Midnight Navy/Black
Nike Lunar Vapor Storm Black/Solar Red
Nike Performance Cart IV Black/Silver
Nike Vapor Fly Umbrella
Bag Boy Tri-Swivel II Push-Cart Black

14

#195 dukediv2011

dukediv2011

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 236875
  • Joined: 03/12/2013
  • Location:Chicago
  • Handicap:4.4
GolfWRX Likes : 175

Posted 10 July 2018 - 06:19 PM

These are the best irons I’ve ever played, and I’ve played just about everything. I’ve shot below my handicap every round (except the first one) since I put them into play. Give them a chance!


15

#196 mbbrewer

mbbrewer

    Tour Winner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 22855
  • Joined: 12/17/2006
  • Location:Houston, TX. / Reading, UK
GolfWRX Likes : 62

Posted 10 July 2018 - 10:51 PM

 dukediv2011, on 10 July 2018 - 06:19 PM, said:

These are the best irons Iíve ever played, and Iíve played just about everything. Iíve shot below my handicap every round (except the first one) since I put them into play. Give them a chance!
What makes them the best for you?  Forgiveness, feel, distance, etc?

16

#197 ahdong

ahdong

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 454162
  • Joined: 02/05/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 11 July 2018 - 06:20 AM

ive really been wanting to get the ft worth irons and now that they are in black....so pretty.....

17

#198 xludan

xludan

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 270236
  • Joined: 08/12/2013
  • Location:Minneapolis, MN
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:39 AM

Got my demo set last weekend and finally got a chance to hit them a few times.

Looks: My initial impression of the irons is that they are a beautiful finish. I was a little skeptical because I love the classic Hogan chrome look but I love the new black. I currently own some Apex 99's, and Hogan Apex 06's. The head size is very similar to both of these. The topline on the Ft Worth black is maybe a hair thicker than the Apex 99 but still a very nice looking club from address.

Feel: The feel of these clubs is very good. Actually surprisingly good. the sound is very solid and off-center hits didn't have the normal "sting" you would get with other blades.

Performance: As far as blades go these are very easy to hit. Obviously not game improvement irons but off center hits do surprisingly well. The consensus is that the Apex 99's are some of the most forgiving blades that Hogan ever made and I would say they are at least if not more forgiving than them.I think the real winner is the sole of these. With some of the classic blades it is very easy to dig into the turf but the v-sole of these does wonders. Nice thin divots. The one con I found on these clubs is the ball flight was high, I mean very high. The shaft I tried was the KBS tour-v stiff. I wouldn't describe the ball flight as balooning but just really high. Because of this I would say they were maybe a half a club shorter. My driver ss is 114 and I play an xstiff there, but I like to play my irons a little softer. My gamers have project x 6.0 shafts and I think I would definitely need to try a different shaft in these. Perhaps the dynamic gold option would be a better fit.

Overall: The Hogan company has done a great job with these irons and I could easily game these. If I found the correct shaft for me I would buy these in a heartbeat.

Attached Thumbnails

  • FT_WORTH_BLACK.jpg
  • Hogan_Comparison.jpg

Edited by xludan, 11 July 2018 - 01:54 PM.


18

#199 Bullunion

Bullunion

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 505332
  • Joined: 06/20/2018
  • Location:Tulsa, Ok
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:25 AM

Ben Hogan clubs feel awesome, just wish they looked better :stop:

19

#200 dukediv2011

dukediv2011

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 236875
  • Joined: 03/12/2013
  • Location:Chicago
  • Handicap:4.4
GolfWRX Likes : 175

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:54 PM

 mbbrewer, on 10 July 2018 - 10:51 PM, said:

 dukediv2011, on 10 July 2018 - 06:19 PM, said:

These are the best irons I've ever played, and I've played just about everything. I've shot below my handicap every round (except the first one) since I put them into play. Give them a chance!
What makes them the best for you?  Forgiveness, feel, distance, etc?

They are quite forgiving for a blade, and they are simply precise on every shot. Obviously, I am an amateur golfer so I don't hit every shot exactly the way that I would prefer, but I am consistently "hole high" with these irons and the Equalizer wedges help me get up and down quite often.

The feel is terrific and the distance is as expected for a relatively standard loft system.

Edited by dukediv2011, 11 July 2018 - 12:55 PM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#201 gioreeko

gioreeko

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122138
  • Joined: 02/12/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 180

Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:08 PM

 Bullunion, on 11 July 2018 - 10:25 AM, said:

Ben Hogan clubs feel awesome, just wish they looked better :stop:

Wow, the black irons are amongst the prettiest clubs I've ever seen.
Driver: Taylor Made M1
3 wood: Taylor made 12 degree mini driver TP
3 Iron Mizuno Fli hi
4-6: Mizuno mp18 MMC
7-PW: Mizuno MP 18 SC
Mizuno TP5 50, 56 degree
Odyssey Versa Tank Putter
Kirkland Tour ball

21

#202 Nixhex524

Nixhex524

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,971 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 305437
  • Joined: 04/03/2014
  • Handicap:4.3
  • Ebay ID:Nixhex524
GolfWRX Likes : 1359

Posted 17 July 2018 - 11:11 PM

What shafts are you guys playing them with?
Ping G400 9*
Taylormade M2 15*
Srixon U45 20*
Srixon Z745 4-P
Titleist SM6 52/58
Byron Morgan DH89

22

#203 Jagpilotohio

Jagpilotohio

    Go Bucks!!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,972 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 395936
  • Joined: 09/14/2015
  • Location:Columbus, OH
  • Handicap:1.2
  • Ebay ID:Jagpilotohio
GolfWRX Likes : 4630

Posted 17 July 2018 - 11:58 PM

 xludan, on 11 July 2018 - 08:39 AM, said:

Got my demo set last weekend and finally got a chance to hit them a few times.

Looks: My initial impression of the irons is that they are a beautiful finish. I was a little skeptical because I love the classic Hogan chrome look but I love the new black. I currently own some Apex 99's, and Hogan Apex 06's. The head size is very similar to both of these. The topline on the Ft Worth black is maybe a hair thicker than the Apex 99 but still a very nice looking club from address.

Feel: The feel of these clubs is very good. Actually surprisingly good. the sound is very solid and off-center hits didn't have the normal "sting" you would get with other blades.

Performance: As far as blades go these are very easy to hit. Obviously not game improvement irons but off center hits do surprisingly well. The consensus is that the Apex 99's are some of the most forgiving blades that Hogan ever made and I would say they are at least if not more forgiving than them.I think the real winner is the sole of these. With some of the classic blades it is very easy to dig into the turf but the v-sole of these does wonders. Nice thin divots. The one con I found on these clubs is the ball flight was high, I mean very high. The shaft I tried was the KBS tour-v stiff. I wouldn't describe the ball flight as balooning but just really high. Because of this I would say they were maybe a half a club shorter. My driver ss is 114 and I play an xstiff there, but I like to play my irons a little softer. My gamers have project x 6.0 shafts and I think I would definitely need to try a different shaft in these. Perhaps the dynamic gold option would be a better fit.

Overall: The Hogan company has done a great job with these irons and I could easily game these. If I found the correct shaft for me I would buy these in a heartbeat.

You need to try the Tour V in 120 x.  I have the 120x in my PTx soft stepped once and they are excellent. .  Driver SS is 110.  I hit the stiffs too high as well.
9.5* Cobra LTD,  Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
4-9 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X
Ping glide2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 stealth, Recoil Proto 125 F5
SM6 60-08 (at 61), S400 Black Onyx.
33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
Srixon Z-star XV

23

#204 Jagpilotohio

Jagpilotohio

    Go Bucks!!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,972 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 395936
  • Joined: 09/14/2015
  • Location:Columbus, OH
  • Handicap:1.2
  • Ebay ID:Jagpilotohio
GolfWRX Likes : 4630

Posted 18 July 2018 - 12:01 AM

 Bullunion, on 11 July 2018 - 10:25 AM, said:

Ben Hogan clubs feel awesome, just wish they looked better :stop:

Different strokes.

I think they are some of the best looking on the market. Both the PTx and Ft. worths.
9.5* Cobra LTD,  Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
4-9 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X
Ping glide2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 stealth, Recoil Proto 125 F5
SM6 60-08 (at 61), S400 Black Onyx.
33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
Srixon Z-star XV

24

#205 lxadoz104

lxadoz104

    Phoenix Country Club

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55878
  • Joined: 05/15/2008
  • Location:Phoenix, AZ
  • Handicap:8.4
  • Ebay ID:lxadoz104
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 18 July 2018 - 12:19 AM

 rebby, on 01 May 2018 - 10:48 AM, said:

 av1084, on 01 May 2018 - 10:19 AM, said:

Really wish they had some other shaft options, though at this price point it's hard to really complain.

Any word if the black finish will find its way to the PTx?

Agreed, as much as I like the Tour-V, I'd really like to see an offering in the 125-132g range. The 120g Tour-V is just a touch on the lighter side for me.

I'm going to call and ask if they will put the Tour Spec V in (Tour Spec S+ is 125g, Tour Spec X is 130g).  I play DG X7 in i200 and I want to get the PTX and Equalizers with a 130g shaft for my swing characteristics.

Club:  Phoenix Country Club, Phoenix AZ
Bag:  Eliott Bag Company (in design)
Driver:  Ping G30 10.5* (Set to 9.5*), Ping Tour 75 Stiff, 45", Tipped +1"
Fairway:  Ping G400 Stretch 3, set to 13.6*, Ping Tour 75 Stiff, 43.5"
Hybrids:  Hogan VKTR 18* & 20*, NV 2KXV 85-H X-Stiff  
Irons:  Hogan PTX 24, 28, 32, 36, 40, 44*, KBS Tour-V X-Stiff HSx1
Wedges:  Hogan Equalizers 48*, 52*, 54*, 56*, 58*, 60*, KBS Tour-V X-Stiff
Putter:  LowTide Fin Custom (23rd Putter made), 34", 303 Stainless, Rainbow Trout Finish, Cork Tree Grip (new)
Grips:  Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Std Grey/Grey
Ball:  Vice Pro Plus
Accessories:  NX7 Pro Rangefinder, Garmin G6 GPS, Clemson Rub-The-Rock Ball Marker

With Driver in bag: Equalizers 48*, 52*, 58* or 48*, 54*, 60*
Without Driver in bag:  Equalizers 48*, 52*, 56*, and 60*

25

#206 lxadoz104

lxadoz104

    Phoenix Country Club

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55878
  • Joined: 05/15/2008
  • Location:Phoenix, AZ
  • Handicap:8.4
  • Ebay ID:lxadoz104
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 18 July 2018 - 01:57 PM

 lxadoz104, on 18 July 2018 - 12:19 AM, said:

 rebby, on 01 May 2018 - 10:48 AM, said:

 av1084, on 01 May 2018 - 10:19 AM, said:

Really wish they had some other shaft options, though at this price point it's hard to really complain.

Any word if the black finish will find its way to the PTx?

Agreed, as much as I like the Tour-V, I'd really like to see an offering in the 125-132g range. The 120g Tour-V is just a touch on the lighter side for me.

I'm going to call and ask if they will put the Tour Spec V in (Tour Spec S+ is 125g, Tour Spec X is 130g).  I play DG X7 in i200 and I want to get the PTX and Equalizers with a 130g shaft for my swing characteristics.

Talked with Colin at Ben Hogan just now.  At this time (for me the consumer I'm assuming), the only shafts they are contracted to assemble are the ones listed on their website (which includes the DG X100 for a 130g shaft).  I may just order some demos in the Tour V X (120g) and see how it feels.  If it doesn't seem to work, I can attempt to hard-step, or go back to X100.
Club:  Phoenix Country Club, Phoenix AZ
Bag:  Eliott Bag Company (in design)
Driver:  Ping G30 10.5* (Set to 9.5*), Ping Tour 75 Stiff, 45", Tipped +1"
Fairway:  Ping G400 Stretch 3, set to 13.6*, Ping Tour 75 Stiff, 43.5"
Hybrids:  Hogan VKTR 18* & 20*, NV 2KXV 85-H X-Stiff  
Irons:  Hogan PTX 24, 28, 32, 36, 40, 44*, KBS Tour-V X-Stiff HSx1
Wedges:  Hogan Equalizers 48*, 52*, 54*, 56*, 58*, 60*, KBS Tour-V X-Stiff
Putter:  LowTide Fin Custom (23rd Putter made), 34", 303 Stainless, Rainbow Trout Finish, Cork Tree Grip (new)
Grips:  Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Std Grey/Grey
Ball:  Vice Pro Plus
Accessories:  NX7 Pro Rangefinder, Garmin G6 GPS, Clemson Rub-The-Rock Ball Marker

With Driver in bag: Equalizers 48*, 52*, 58* or 48*, 54*, 60*
Without Driver in bag:  Equalizers 48*, 52*, 56*, and 60*

26

#207 mesegrn

mesegrn

    mesegrn

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11859
  • Joined: 02/13/2006
  • Location:Georgia
  • Ebay ID:mesegrn3045
GolfWRX Likes : 35

Posted 24 July 2018 - 10:10 AM

Those are beautiful clubs!

27

#208 41NAS

41NAS

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366697
  • Joined: 03/16/2015
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 26 July 2018 - 11:16 AM

Just received my shipping notification; of course I shipped them to my office and they are due to arrive late Friday when I won't be there. Will report back when I can get a range session in. Currently gaming the MP-5 and curious if these can take them out of my bag. Seems like there are some questions on the Tour V X 120 and with mine being built with those, will have some performance feedback coming from PX LZ 6.0.

28

#209 Cupillac

Cupillac

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129583
  • Joined: 05/26/2011
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 09 August 2018 - 10:06 PM

 41NAS, on 26 July 2018 - 11:16 AM, said:

Just received my shipping notification; of course I shipped them to my office and they are due to arrive late Friday when I won't be there. Will report back when I can get a range session in. Currently gaming the MP-5 and curious if these can take them out of my bag. Seems like there are some questions on the Tour V X 120 and with mine being built with those, will have some performance feedback coming from PX LZ 6.0.
Any pics?!

Gaming - Ping G400 LST 8.5°
TaylorMade SLDR 430cc 10.5°
TaylorMade M1 3wd 16°
Srixon U45 20°
Titleist AP2 712 4-PW X100
Titleist Vokey SM6 -50°, 54°-11
Taylormade Hi-Toe 60°
Gaming - Taylormade Spider Tour Black 35"
Kingston Custom KP2 36"

29

#210 yesac104

yesac104

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 301765
  • Joined: 03/14/2014
  • Location:Lake Superior
  • Handicap:2.4
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 12 August 2018 - 08:13 AM

saweeeeet


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors