Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Forget Yardage books! Allow laser rangefinders...

125 replies to this topic

#121 SwooshLT

SwooshLT

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,313 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5901
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 1317

Posted 16 May 2018 - 04:11 PM

View Postspartan6910, on 16 May 2018 - 11:00 AM, said:

I had never used a legit yardage book until the past couple weeks. The course I played my US Open qualifier on got them made up, complete with green slope mapping. That was revolutionary. I now understand why the pros spend so much time on the greens looking over the book. At least a few times, I would read a putt one way, the book would tell me the complete opposite, and lo and behold the book was right. It's incredible.

I really didn't notice myself taking much more time over a shot using the yardage book than I would with a rangefinder. On par 3s, maybe, but everywhere else it was about the same. (No DMDs at USOLQ)

In 1st sentence you state understanding why Pros take so much time to read their yardage book but then say it doesn't take anymore time than a range finder.....which one is it as it can't be both!

Also pace of play is the back drop for this thread with a great deal of positive input.....good job crew!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#122 spartan6910

spartan6910

Go Green, Go White!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 294314
  • Handicap:+0.4
GolfWRX Likes : 90

Posted 16 May 2018 - 04:57 PM

View PostSwooshLT, on 16 May 2018 - 04:11 PM, said:

I had never used a legit yardage book until the past couple weeks. The course I played my US Open qualifier on got them made up, complete with green slope mapping. That was revolutionary. I now understand why the pros spend so much time on the greens looking over the book. At least a few times, I would read a putt one way, the book would tell me the complete opposite, and lo and behold the book was right. It's incredible.

I really didn't notice myself taking much more time over a shot using the yardage book than I would with a rangefinder. On par 3s, maybe, but everywhere else it was about the same. (No DMDs at USOLQ)

In 1st sentence you state understanding why Pros take so much time to read their yardage book but then say it doesn't take anymore time than a range finder.....which one is it as it can't be both!

Also pace of play is the back drop for this thread with a great deal of positive input.....good job crew!

Can you reading comprehension? There's a big difference between on the greens and in the fairway. I stated that I understand why they pore over the book on the greens. But on full shots, it didn't affect time as much, if at all. I'm obviously not using a rangefinder on the greens.

Comprende?

Edited by spartan6910, 16 May 2018 - 04:58 PM.

TaylorMade 2016 M1 460 8.5* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TX
Cobra King LTD 13* - Aldila Rogue X
TaylorMade SLDR 2h 19* - Fujikura Pro 83h X
Mizuno T-Zoid Comp-EZ 2i - S300
Callaway Apex CF16 5-P - stock steel XP95
Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 51*

Callaway Mack Daddy 3 58*
Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 64* (only sometimes)
Bettinardi Queen B #8
TaylorMade TP5

Born in the USA, Made in Detroit, Grinding in San Diego

#123 SwooshLT

SwooshLT

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,313 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:39 PM

View Postspartan6910, on 16 May 2018 - 04:57 PM, said:

Can you reading comprehension? There's a big difference between on the greens and in the fairway. I stated that I understand why they pore over the book on the greens. But on full shots, it didn't affect time as much, if at all. I'm obviously not using a rangefinder on the greens.

Comprende?

My bad but you don't have to be a dik with your response....and on top of that your 1st paragraph has no relevance to the topic....sure green reading is slow and adds to equation but topic is about range finders...whatever dude....done with the nasty attitudes around here

#124 nsxguy

nsxguy

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,404 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 431858
  • Handicap:3.6
GolfWRX Likes : 1636

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:04 PM

Can you reading comprehension?

{snip}

Comprende?

:cheesy:

(Just a little (OK, very little :D) levity to diffuse the incredible tension).  :drinks:
Callaway Fusion 9* Project X Handcrafted Hzrdus Black "60" 6.0
Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
Ping G20 5-P, DG S300

Titleist 816 AP-1 5-P+W2, DGS300
TaylorMade Hi-Toe 58* SW & 64* LW

Ping Roon (today)

Titleist AVX

#125 spartan6910

spartan6910

Go Green, Go White!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 294314
  • Handicap:+0.4
GolfWRX Likes : 90

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:56 AM

View PostSwooshLT, on 16 May 2018 - 06:39 PM, said:

Comprende?

My bad but you don't have to be a di×k with your response....and on top of that your 1st paragraph has no relevance to the topic....sure green reading is slow and adds to equation but topic is about range finders...whatever dude....done with the nasty attitudes around here

Ok...I'll try one more time to, in as nice a tone as I can fathom, properly convey my point:

As someone who had used range finders before in competitions but never a "legit" yardage book, I saw no difference in the time it took me to get my yardages for non-green strokes when using a yardage book exclusively. Since range finders are useless on the greens, I don't think the need for range finders is all that great. I think the issue with pace of play lies elsewhere.

Edited by spartan6910, 17 May 2018 - 12:58 AM.

TaylorMade 2016 M1 460 8.5* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TX
Cobra King LTD 13* - Aldila Rogue X
TaylorMade SLDR 2h 19* - Fujikura Pro 83h X
Mizuno T-Zoid Comp-EZ 2i - S300
Callaway Apex CF16 5-P - stock steel XP95
Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 51*

Callaway Mack Daddy 3 58*
Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 64* (only sometimes)
Bettinardi Queen B #8
TaylorMade TP5

Born in the USA, Made in Detroit, Grinding in San Diego

#126 SwooshLT

SwooshLT

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,313 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:25 AM

View Postspartan6910, on 17 May 2018 - 12:56 AM, said:

View PostSwooshLT, on 16 May 2018 - 06:39 PM, said:

Comprende?

My bad but you don't have to be a dik with your response....and on top of that your 1st paragraph has no relevance to the topic....sure green reading is slow and adds to equation but topic is about range finders...whatever dude....done with the nasty attitudes around here

Ok...I'll try one more time to, in as nice a tone as I can fathom, properly convey my point:

As someone who had used range finders before in competitions but never a "legit" yardage book, I saw no difference in the time it took me to get my yardages for non-green strokes when using a yardage book exclusively. Since range finders are useless on the greens, I don't think the need for range finders is all that great. I think the issue with pace of play lies elsewhere.

Thanks and your input helps due to your most recent play.....and I truly get the information provided by the books ......maybe I'll start ANOTHER pace of play thread..... :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors