Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

When you fix one aspect of your game, the other aspects fall apart. Why?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 vbb

vbb

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 265210
GolfWRX Likes : 923

Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:18 PM

This may be more of a philosophical or sports psychology question than a pure mechanics question, but I'm sure many if not most golfers have had the experience that I have.  You work really hard on "fixing" your driver and then all of a sudden you can't chip.  You work on your putting, and then you can't hit your irons anymore.  And so on...

I analyzed my game about a 18 months ago and found that while my short game was decent and my irons were above average, I was losing a lot of strokes off the tee due to very poor drives.  I got to a point where I was so mentally overthinking my drive that it was almost as if I had the yips, because I couldn't make a regular swing and had zero confidence over the ball.  Flash forward to the last few months and it FINALLY clicked.  I developed (and committed to) a pre-shot routine that made me comfortable over the ball, and though I'm not saying I don't still miss, I no longer fear the tee ball and have gone back to hitting the ball consistently in the 250yd range and somewhere on the grid (fairway or advance-able rough) which sets me up well for the courses I play.  Yet, my scoring is about the same, or even worse, because all of a sudden I've "lost it" with my irons.  

Why can't we just be the best versions of ourselves!  If I had the iron game I had when I was on, the driver game I have now, and the chipping game I had 2 years ago I'd be a mid-single digit cap I reckon.  I'd certainly be scoring better.

What gives?  I feel like I need a shrink moreso than a golf instructor at this point!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Moshjean

Moshjean

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 411284
GolfWRX Likes : 42

Posted 17 April 2018 - 01:14 PM

For me it can be as simple as a setup issue, I had been playing the ball too far forward with short and middle irons so I was fading too much. Moved the ball back and starting blocking/snap hooking hybrids and woods because I didn’t adjust for longer clubs.

Some of the swing faults that you can get away with short clubs will be apparent when you hit the long clubs and vice versa.

Ideally you have one swing for all shots and adjust your setup accordingly (ball position and tilt)
Life is good

#3 Pepperturbo

Pepperturbo

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,138 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14656
  • Handicap:lowS
GolfWRX Likes : 2777

Posted 17 April 2018 - 01:21 PM

Most people don't know why certain aspects of their game are good when they are.   Working on elements of the swing doesn't necessarily mean what you're working on fits with other elements.
IMO, we must work on the whole, not pieces and hope they fit with one another.  My 2cents.  :beach:
Titleist 917D2 10.5, Project X6C12 Tour Issue
Titleist 917F2, 15*, Project X7C3 Tour Issue
Titleist 716T-MB 17* 2 iron, Project X 5.5
Titleist 716CB 3-9, Project X 6.0
Titleist 716CB PW, Project X 5.5
SM6 F-52*, Project X 5.5
SM6 M-58*, DGS200
SC California Monterey
ProV1x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors