Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Who here is an easy mark?????


75 replies to this topic

#1 Under2hours

Under2hours

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 383344
  • Joined: 06/30/2015
  • Location:Toronto
  • Handicap:13.2
GolfWRX Likes : 392

Posted 16 April 2018 - 02:37 PM

I keep hearing/reading about all these players who play money games.  I don't and heck seldom would play skins as well unless I have a fair chance (or very small stakes as I just don't make birdies for the most part).

I am always amazed at those who are okay playing games with better players and not getting strokes.

Also often asked to play skins where I am not one of the "better" players (those who make 3-4 birdies/round vs. my one every 2-3 rounds) and know my chances are terrible.  Often there will be a big group playing skins and you have HC variances of 10-15 strokes, but that high HC'er thinks he has the same odds of a birdie as the low HC'er.  Just not the case.

Now this is golfwrx and imagine everyone playing the money games always come out ahead in the long run, but anyone here that easy mark who throws in a $20 and seldom shares in winnings?

Edited by Under2hours, 17 April 2018 - 10:42 AM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 third-times-a-charm

third-times-a-charm

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 464568
  • Joined: 04/22/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 404

Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:26 PM

This might be wrx, but I dont bet on anything - ever. I dont even play $1 fun bets or any type of monetary betting. That's a great way to turn something enjoyable into a crapfest.

HARD PASS.
Long Live Nike

2

#3 ABARTSCHMID

ABARTSCHMID

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 455252
  • Joined: 02/14/2017
  • Location:Andrews, TX
  • Handicap:4.2
GolfWRX Likes : 85

Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:32 PM

We play for money just about every round with our normal group. For the most part we are similar handicaps and whoever happens to have the best day usually wins. If there is a guy playing whose handicap is worse then the rest we usually give him some strokes. We don't however play many skins games. We try to make it fair and fun for everyone. We play a lot of 2 man low-ball nassaus and wolf if we end up with 5 players. Rarely does anyone win or lose more than $20 in a round. We just like being competitive and having a little something at stake. I have in the past played in groups with better players and knew I didn't have a chance to win straight up and they always were willing to give strokes. I guess it depends on if the people you are playing with just want to have fun or if they want to hustle you out of money. If it is the latter option then I would find a new group to play with.
Driver: GBB Epic SZ
3 Wood: GBB Epic SZ
4 Hybrid: Callaway Rogue
4-GAP: Mizuno JPX 900F w/ DG AMT X100 Shafts
Wedges: Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 55-13, 60-10
Putter: Scotty California Del Mar w/ SS Pistol GT 2.0 Grip

3

#4 DavePelz4

DavePelz4

    Legend

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 22,764 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69051
  • Joined: 11/10/2008
  • Location:A golf course in the Chicago area.
GolfWRX Likes : 23567

Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:34 PM

Most wagers are lost before the first tee.

4

#5 BNGL

BNGL

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 472816
  • Joined: 06/26/2017
  • Location:Jupiter, Florida
GolfWRX Likes : 752

Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:46 PM

View PostDavePelz4, on 16 April 2018 - 03:34 PM, said:

Most wagers are lost before the first tee.

Yep!

A buddy of mine got me hooked on a game called umbrella, can stupid big really quick. We won all three points the first hole, were up 72 as a team (36 each) they press on two tee lose hole two. They're down 216 as a team standing on three tee. Gave them a buyout for 350 each after 9. Luckily most I've ever lost in that game is about 285-300.

It ain't gambling if you know you're gunna win.


5

#6 jdl

jdl

    Masshole

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 272218
  • Joined: 08/22/2013
  • Location:Mass
  • Handicap:7.1
GolfWRX Likes : 551

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:03 PM

I guess I am? One of the weekly groups I play in has 12 guys - me and one other guy are usually the low handicaps by 4-8 shots over most and 10+ to a couple of the worst guys. There's a season long skins contest that I've acknowledged I have zero chance of winning. We also do Stableford points and I've done OK in that one a couple of times. I've even lost a skin with an tap-in eagle because some guy rolled in a 30 footer and he was getting a stroke. "No albatross, no skin" is the saying now. It's not big money so not a big deal to me.

6

#7 DavePelz4

DavePelz4

    Legend

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 22,764 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69051
  • Joined: 11/10/2008
  • Location:A golf course in the Chicago area.
GolfWRX Likes : 23567

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:08 PM

View Postjdl, on 16 April 2018 - 04:03 PM, said:

I guess I am? One of the weekly groups I play in has 12 guys - me and one other guy are usually the low handicaps by 4-8 shots over most and 10+ to a couple of the worst guys. There's a season long skins contest that I've acknowledged I have zero chance of winning. We also do Stableford points and I've done OK in that one a couple of times. I've even lost a skin with an tap-in eagle because some guy rolled in a 30 footer and he was getting a stroke. "No albatross, no skin" is the saying now. It's not big money so not a big deal to me.

If it makes you feel any better, our group which is pretty much set up with the same season long format as yours, has a gentleman who gets 3 shots on some holes.  A few times a round he pulls it together and will turn a par 5 into a net 2.

Kind of tough to win that.

7

#8 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

    #TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,686 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68568
  • Joined: 11/01/2008
  • Location:Montreal
  • Handicap:0.0
GolfWRX Likes : 22161

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:09 PM

Most of my gambling is on multiperson skins games , like put in 10 bucks and there's 20-30 guys in on it

I haven't won many big pots.

A couple of years ago we were playing our monster 230yd uphill par 3 on a cold and windy day and I knocked it to 2 inches. So I said "that should be a skin!"....the guy hitting after me in my group aced it and won like 300$ LoL
Ping G LS Tec 9 w// Matrix Black Tie 80
Callaway XR Pro 14 w/Diamana D+ 80
Callaway Steelhead XR 3 iron w/S300
Callaway Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
Callaway MD Forged 52,56,60 w/S300
Odyssey O-Works #7 Red Tank

8

#9 Swisstrader98

Swisstrader98

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,494 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 170802
  • Joined: 03/23/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 904

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:10 PM

If you play golf and do not make a wager you are not my friend:)

I personally love the action and have learned that if you want to put some real pressure on your game which ultimately transfers to tournaments, try having to make a 6’ putt for a few bucks on the line.



9

#10 DavePelz4

DavePelz4

    Legend

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 22,764 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69051
  • Joined: 11/10/2008
  • Location:A golf course in the Chicago area.
GolfWRX Likes : 23567

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:27 PM

View PostMtlJeff, on 16 April 2018 - 04:09 PM, said:

Most of my gambling is on multiperson skins games , like put in 10 bucks and there's 20-30 guys in on it

I haven't won many big pots.

A couple of years ago we were playing our monster 230yd uphill par 3 on a cold and windy day and I knocked it to 2 inches. So I said "that should be a skin!"....the guy hitting after me in my group aced it and won like 300$ LoL

Will give you a different side of the equation.  17th hole, a par 3, pretty much the entire round of skins on the line.  Hit the rare great shot to 18 inches for a potential birdie and win.

Unfortunately, after I grounded my club, a gust of wind moved the ball about 1/32nd of an inch.  It didn't oscillate, it moved and you could tell from the line on the ball.  No one in the group saw it and they said to just forget but I couldn't take anyone's $ if it wasn't earned.

Made the putt, marked down the 3 and then of course blew up on the last, not even sniffing cash that day.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 4Par

4Par

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125860
  • Joined: 04/03/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 341

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:31 PM

Once a week Skins Night (9 holes).... we’ve increased participation by saying “play the tees you normally play”. Some guys play back, some middle, others forward... best things are most of the money goes across the bar and there’s a lot of comraderie developing now that’s it’s not just the top 10 players at the club participating.....

11

#12 Under2hours

Under2hours

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 383344
  • Joined: 06/30/2015
  • Location:Toronto
  • Handicap:13.2
GolfWRX Likes : 392

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:33 PM

Years ago a person set up a great deal at a high-end public course, with a $20 straight up skins.  I and a few other were derided wanting to sign up but not play skins.

Others were perplexed that I had the audacity to say why should I throw into a pot where I had very little chance as a 20 HC?

Now if playing stableford & HC, that is a different story.

12

#13 Swisstrader98

Swisstrader98

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,494 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 170802
  • Joined: 03/23/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 904

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:49 PM

View PostUnder2hours, on 16 April 2018 - 04:33 PM, said:

Years ago a person set up a great deal at a high-end public course, with a $20 straight up skins.  I and a few other were derided wanting to sign up but not play skins.

Others were perplexed that I had the audacity to say why should I throw into a pot where I had very little chance as a 20 HC?

Now if playing stableford & HC, that is a different story.

Buzzkill!!!

I’ve seen more than my fair share of 20+Handicaps take home the skins pot. Besides, it’s more about comraderie vs the $20.

13

#14 vietnameeh

vietnameeh

    Hack

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93431
  • Joined: 08/31/2009
  • Handicap:36.4
  • Ebay ID:vietnameeh
GolfWRX Likes : 226

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:49 PM

I am an easy mark, at least now I am.

the local sticks and local pros have a weekly skins game (we have high level amateurs and great local pros that play)

and I just started playing again after 3-4 year break.

They are so "happy" to see me back

but all it takes is that one good hole, where you get paid for me to keep coming back lol
Cobra LTD PRO 8.5F* UST Mamiya Attas Proto 7x
Callaway XR16 Pro 14* Graphite Design PM902X
Mizuno MP650 19* Graphite Design Tour AD YSQPH 105X
2012 TaylorMade Tour Preferred MC 4-PW X100
Wilson FG Tour TC 52,56,60
Odyssey White Hot XG 7M

14

#15 rgk5

rgk5

    rgk5(OLB)

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,207 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3525
  • Joined: 07/28/2005
  • Location:Hamilton, Ontario. Edmond, Oklahoma
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 1147

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:53 PM

Our groups (20-32 guys) play money games every Tues., Fri., and Sun.  $10 ante per man and we play two man best ball (total) nassau with team skins.  60% for the team and 40% for the skins.

Cobra F8+ 9.5*, Project X Even Flow Blue 65 R

Callaway Rogue 15* , Fuji Pro Green 62 R

Ping G400 hybrids 19*, 22*, Alta 70 R

Callaway Rogue Pro 5-pw, Recoil E760 R

Miura Custom 52*, Rogue 115 S

Mizuno MP Series 56*, DG S-300

Ping Glide Stealth 58*, Alta 70 R

Cleveland TFI 8.0 Putter, 36"

Tour Velvet Grips


15

#16 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

    Legend

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 11,041 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99408
  • Joined: 11/30/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 7217

Posted 16 April 2018 - 05:38 PM

I guess I don't understand the reluctance to use handicaps and give strokes. That's what the handicap is for, so everyone can play a competitive match.

Our normal group consists of a 2,3,4, & 22. If we didn't give strokes he obviously wouldn't have any chance to contend. As it is, its amazing how even the winning are. We joke that we've been passing the same $50 back an forth for five years.

Goes without saying though that this only works if the caps are honest, which is so much easier if its a regular group.
Titleist 910 8.5
Titleist 910 15*
Titleist 910H 17*
2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
SC GoLo
Vokey SM5 52,58,62

16

#17 cardoustie

cardoustie

    haha, we don't play for 5's

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,743 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65255
  • Joined: 09/09/2008
  • Location:Tasmania to Canada
  • Handicap:3.6
GolfWRX Likes : 6823

Posted 16 April 2018 - 05:51 PM

You play half shot skins ... pretty simple

A higher guy has chances on every hole
TMade M2 10.5* Fuji Motore Speeder VC 6.2x
Callaway GBB 3w 14* Mitsu Diamana BB 63x
Ping G25 7w 20* Aldila NVS Pink 85x
Callaway Apex 4h 23* Matrix Altus Red 92sx
Callaway Apex 5h 26* Matrix HQ3 Altus 92x
Ping i500 Nippon 1150x
Ping s55 7i - PW Nippon 1150x
Titleist Vokey SM2 50* DGS 400 TI Onyx  
Vokey SM2 TVD M54*&M60* DGS TI Onyx
Yes Donna

17

#18 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

    Legend

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 11,041 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99408
  • Joined: 11/30/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 7217

Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:12 PM

View Postcardoustie, on 16 April 2018 - 05:51 PM, said:

You play half shot skins ... pretty simple

A higher guy has chances on every hole

We've tried to get that done on our men's day for years. To no avail.
Titleist 910 8.5
Titleist 910 15*
Titleist 910H 17*
2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
SC GoLo
Vokey SM5 52,58,62

18

#19 MadGolfer76

MadGolfer76

    Admiration is the state furthest from understanding.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,900 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89700
  • Joined: 07/26/2009
  • Location:Maine
GolfWRX Likes : 10031

Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:15 PM

Throwing away money gambling gets in the way of club ho'ing.
Callaway Xr 16 10.5/Fujikura Speeder 565-s
Callaway Xr 16 15, 19/Fujikura Speeder 565-s
Mizuno Mp-54 3-Pw/Dynamic Gold s300
Mizuno T7 52, 58/Dynamic Gold s300
Scotty Cameron Futura X7
Titleist ProV1

WITB

19

#20 BrianMcG

BrianMcG

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71565
  • Joined: 12/30/2008
  • Location:Tennessee
GolfWRX Likes : 1806

Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:37 PM

You’ve never chipped in or made a bomb in a round. It only takes winning one hole and you can make some money.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#21 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

    Legend

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 11,041 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99408
  • Joined: 11/30/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 7217

Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:42 PM

View PostMadGolfer76, on 16 April 2018 - 06:15 PM, said:

Throwing away money gambling gets in the way of club ho'ing.

But if you gamble well enough there is more to ho' with!  (or so I've been told) :)
Titleist 910 8.5
Titleist 910 15*
Titleist 910H 17*
2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
SC GoLo
Vokey SM5 52,58,62

21

#22 SNIPERBBB

SNIPERBBB

    Hit Ball Hard

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 79142
  • Joined: 04/04/2009
  • Location:SE Ohio
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 418

Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:58 PM

I tend to at least break even every year playing in our clubs games, all gross no strokes. We dont do skins much but when we do, the skins are spread out. Its almost always the harder holes that get the skins.
2016 M1 9.5 tuned to 7.5
TM r15 3 wood
Adams Idea Pro 2h/4h
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

22

#23 ping rat

ping rat

    Tour Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 848 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116718
  • Joined: 10/27/2010
  • Location:The Woodlands, tx
  • Ebay ID:herpitat
GolfWRX Likes : 427

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:08 PM

Playing for money is a great way to test your metal. I came to the game late in life compared to many of my contemporaries and have always played with lower handicap players that like playing for money. the bottom line is negotiate a fair game or don't participate. I always play better when there is a little action involved and I'm not shy to negotiate strokes. If your handicap is legit you will never be an easy mark in a fair game. I don't say this condescendingly but if your not comfortable with the bet walk away, but if you really want to get better there is nothing better to get you focused like a little skin in the game.
Ping G400 Max AD DI 6
Exotics JX1 3 wood Fuji air speeder
Exotics EX10 3,4 Hybrid AD DI 50
Mizuno JPX 850 Nippon pro zelos
Yururi Gekku Raw 49,53,57 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0/Ping Anser 50,54,58 DG Spinner
Too many putters
WITB Link

23

#24 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

    Legend

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 11,041 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99408
  • Joined: 11/30/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 7217

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:18 PM

View Postping rat, on 16 April 2018 - 07:08 PM, said:

Playing for money is a great way to test your metal. I came to the game late in life compared to many of my contemporaries and have always played with lower handicap players that like playing for money. the bottom line is negotiate a fair game or don't participate. I always play better when there is a little action involved and I'm not shy to negotiate strokes. If your handicap is legit you will never be an easy mark in a fair game. I don't say this condescendingly but if your not comfortable with the bet walk away, but if you really want to get better there is nothing better to get you focused like a little skin in the game.

Agree 100%. In fairness to those who abhor  handicaps, I don't think I'd ever get into a money game with strangers (unless it was just a couple of dollars or something similar), strokes or straight up, either way. The entire premise of a good money game is that if you play well, you have a good chance of getting rewarded. Not winning because you're getting an abundance of strokes you don't deserve

It all boils down to the integrity of the players. If they are keeping an honest handicap.
Titleist 910 8.5
Titleist 910 15*
Titleist 910H 17*
2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
SC GoLo
Vokey SM5 52,58,62

24

#25 ping rat

ping rat

    Tour Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 848 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116718
  • Joined: 10/27/2010
  • Location:The Woodlands, tx
  • Ebay ID:herpitat
GolfWRX Likes : 427

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:51 PM

View Postdeadsolid...shank, on 16 April 2018 - 07:18 PM, said:

View Postping rat, on 16 April 2018 - 07:08 PM, said:

Playing for money is a great way to test your metal. I came to the game late in life compared to many of my contemporaries and have always played with lower handicap players that like playing for money. the bottom line is negotiate a fair game or don't participate. I always play better when there is a little action involved and I'm not shy to negotiate strokes. If your handicap is legit you will never be an easy mark in a fair game. I don't say this condescendingly but if your not comfortable with the bet walk away, but if you really want to get better there is nothing better to get you focused like a little skin in the game.

Agree 100%. In fairness to those who abhor  handicaps, I don't think I'd ever get into a money game with strangers (unless it was just a couple of dollars or something similar), strokes or straight up, either way. The entire premise of a good money game is that if you play well, you have a good chance of getting rewarded. Not winning because you're getting an abundance of strokes you don't deserve

It all boils down to the integrity of the players. If they are keeping an honest handicap.
Exactly, if I don't know you, and you can't verify your GHIN, we ain't playing for money

Ping G400 Max AD DI 6
Exotics JX1 3 wood Fuji air speeder
Exotics EX10 3,4 Hybrid AD DI 50
Mizuno JPX 850 Nippon pro zelos
Yururi Gekku Raw 49,53,57 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0/Ping Anser 50,54,58 DG Spinner
Too many putters
WITB Link

25

#26 bladehunter

bladehunter

    I have a great profile! Especially from the side !

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,241 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291449
  • Joined: 01/12/2014
  • Location:south carolina
  • Handicap:NONE
GolfWRX Likes : 16681

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:27 PM

best way to do it without worrying about strokes is do $5 kick in on a big skins game.....if you have 15-20 players there a high likely hood that 1 skin makes a profit.   it isnt much but its fun knowing something is on the line.. and after all whats $5?   i call it the price of admission ...you will have $5 extra fun just being part of a good gang.
17 M1 8.7  Tour Issue Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX
17 M1 14.5  Tour issue Graphite Design   AD DI 8X
Titleist 816H2 21 Graphite Design AD DI 105X
Titleist 716 T-MB 4 iron Steelfiber i125X
Titleist 716 Tour Proto Ap2 5-9 Steelfiber i125X
Vokey sm7 46 sm6 50   sm6 55 300 series 59 Steelfiber i125s
TM Red TI Slant neck Spider ..34"  full sight line

26

#27 Under2hours

Under2hours

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 383344
  • Joined: 06/30/2015
  • Location:Toronto
  • Handicap:13.2
GolfWRX Likes : 392

Posted 17 April 2018 - 04:32 AM

View PostSwisstrader98, on 16 April 2018 - 04:49 PM, said:

View PostUnder2hours, on 16 April 2018 - 04:33 PM, said:

Years ago a person set up a great deal at a high-end public course, with a $20 straight up skins.  I and a few other were derided wanting to sign up but not play skins.

Others were perplexed that I had the audacity to say why should I throw into a pot where I had very little chance as a 20 HC?

Now if playing stableford & HC, that is a different story.

Buzzkill!!!

I've seen more than my fair share of 20+Handicaps take home the skins pot. Besides, it's more about comraderie vs the $20.

I love the stupidity of that statement.....  Sure it's the same as the worst player playing Texas hold 'em drawing aces and then ending with a full house vs. a flush & a straight........  Can happen, but the odds are long when birdies are a rarity and then hoping you aren't halved.  

I just did not want to give away money.......  That's what makes you a mark.

27

#28 jdl

jdl

    Masshole

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 272218
  • Joined: 08/22/2013
  • Location:Mass
  • Handicap:7.1
GolfWRX Likes : 551

Posted 17 April 2018 - 08:01 AM

View PostDavePelz4, on 16 April 2018 - 04:08 PM, said:


If it makes you feel any better, our group which is pretty much set up with the same season long format as yours, has a gentleman who gets 3 shots on some holes.  A few times a round he pulls it together and will turn a par 5 into a net 2.

Kind of tough to win that.

I don't feel any better, but appreciate the effort.

We have a couple guys who will get 2 strokes on some holes. When we're also playing the shorter tees on some courses, that can get pretty ridiculous.

View Postdeadsolid...shank, on 16 April 2018 - 05:38 PM, said:

I guess I don't understand the reluctance to use handicaps and give strokes. That's what the handicap is for, so everyone can play a competitive match.

Our normal group consists of a 2,3,4, & 22. If we didn't give strokes he obviously wouldn't have any chance to contend. As it is, its amazing how even the winning are. We joke that we've been passing the same $50 back an forth for five years.

Goes without saying though that this only works if the caps are honest, which is so much easier if its a regular group.

Yes, handicaps should be used but they also work better in smaller groups. And if there is a smaller spread of handicaps. When you start getting more than one 4some involved, the odds for the lower handicaps go way, way down. I have convinced our group to use 90% or even 80% handicaps which helps a little bit.

28

#29 HitEmTrue

HitEmTrue

    @HitEmTrue1

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,667 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93756
  • Joined: 09/04/2009
  • Location:North Texas
GolfWRX Likes : 1582

Posted 17 April 2018 - 08:06 AM

View Postjdl, on 16 April 2018 - 04:03 PM, said:

I guess I am? One of the weekly groups I play in has 12 guys - me and one other guy are usually the low handicaps by 4-8 shots over most and 10+ to a couple of the worst guys. There's a season long skins contest that I've acknowledged I have zero chance of winning. We also do Stableford points and I've done OK in that one a couple of times. I've even lost a skin with an tap-in eagle because some guy rolled in a 30 footer and he was getting a stroke. "No albatross, no skin" is the saying now. It's not big money so not a big deal to me.

He had maybe less than 5 percent chance of making his birdie putt?  You were dancing near the pin in two.  So it sounds like you would come out ahead the majority of the time on that hole.  


29

#30 FKA HB

FKA HB

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 368145
  • Joined: 03/25/2015
  • Location:SPCC
GolfWRX Likes : 244

Posted 17 April 2018 - 08:50 AM

Yes.  I am an easy mark.  At least I was last year.  I probably will be again this year, but I plan on being better in 2019, maybe 2020.  I play the long game while you amateurs are looking short term.  Watch The Color of Money to understand the complicated hustle I've been orchestrating for the past several years.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors