Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Modus 105 - Stiff or Regular


30 replies to this topic

#1 WpgMike

WpgMike

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 142327
  • Joined: 10/12/2011
  • Location:Winnipeg
  • Handicap:9.2
GolfWRX Likes : 110

Posted 16 April 2018 - 02:19 PM

My 7 iron carry (33 degree Ping i20) is a comfortable 150, swing speed around 78 to 80.  Tempo is medium.  What do you guys think - stiff, regular or hardstepped regular?

Driver: Wishon 919thi 11* w/AXE 6 stiff
FW: Wishon 949mc 16.5* w/AXE FW Stiff
3-4 Hybrids: Wishon 775hs w/ S2S White Stiff
Irons: Miura CB-1008 w/Nippon Modus 105 S
Putter: Ping Ketsch Heavy 34" 2 degrees flat
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 Z1ggy16

Z1ggy16

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,170 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 430110
  • Joined: 06/22/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 2126

Posted 16 April 2018 - 02:27 PM

I carry my 7i around 155-158 and have a 7i SS of 85-90mph and use a stiff, but I'm on the edge of being in X. I prefer to go softer because usually in the colder months I'm not at the full 90mph.

Carry aside, with a 78mph 7i with medium tempo, that's probably R flex... but I'd get fitted. I'm not a pro or club fitter so YMMV.
WITB
D - LTD Pro HZRDUS Yellow 65X (testing Kiyoshi White 65X & Purple 65X)
3w - LTD Kai'li 70X (testing ProForce V2 75X)
3h - 818H2 ProForce V2 85X
Irons - Miura CB/MB Combo Modus 120X
GW - (Testing SM7 & Glide 2.0)
SW - MD4 54/12W S200 (testing Glide 2.0 54/14WS)
LW - Glide Stealth 2.0 58/10SS AWT Wedge
P - TP Black Copper Juno
Ball - TBD
Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

2

#3 noodle3872

noodle3872

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,153 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8163
  • Joined: 11/26/2005
  • Location:Chilliwack B.C. Canada
  • Handicap:8.3
  • Ebay ID:Noodle3872
GolfWRX Likes : 802

Posted 16 April 2018 - 02:51 PM

My swing speed with 7i is a few mph faster than yours and I would call my tempo medium as well and I am in Stiff flex.  I found R flex to whippy and just for giggles tried X flex too.  X was not really too bad however was too firm for my liking on part shots.
Taylormade 2018 M4 9.5 driver with MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 60 S Flex
Taylormade 2017 M2 15 fairway wood with MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 S Flex
Taylormade 2017 M2 19 hybrid with MCA OT Tour Hybrid 80 S Flex
Taylormade 2017 M2 22 hybrid with MCA OT Tour Hybrid 90 S Flex
Mizuno MP-18 MMC irons 5-PW Irons with Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-08 and 62-08 with Modus3 105 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Futura 5M H17
Scotty Cameron Futura 7M
Titleist Pro V1

3

#4 phatchrisrules

phatchrisrules

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,762 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20680
  • Joined: 10/17/2006
  • Location:Southern Ontario, Canada
  • Handicap:6.5
GolfWRX Likes : 639

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:00 PM

View PostWpgMike, on 16 April 2018 - 02:19 PM, said:

My 7 iron carry (33 degree Ping i20) is a comfortable 150, swing speed around 78 to 80.  Tempo is medium.  What do you guys think - stiff, regular or hardstepped regular?

Go R hard stepped once.  You're right at the cusp of stiff. 70-80 is reg with a 7i, you are also smooth tempo'd.  It's cooler in Winnipeg for a lot of the season, meaning you're likely wearing multiple layers leading to a slightly restricted swing.  On top of that, cooler temps make the muscles a bit tighter.  Personally, I also prefer shafts that are a slight bit soft because they load easier and feel much smoother.  But that is anecdotal, really.

Edited by phatchrisrules, 16 April 2018 - 06:08 PM.

Callaway Rogue SZ 9* - Diamana BF 60
Callaway Rogue SZ 13.5* - Fubuki V-Series 70
Callaway Rogue SZ 18* - Diamana Thump 85
Ping G700 4 - Fujikura Atmos Black 95
Ping G700 5 - Accra 105CWT "Master's Green"
Ping i500 6-PW - Accra 105CWT "Master's Green" (Most likely as it looks awesome)
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50/SS, 54/ES, 58/ES - Modus 105 Wedge Master's Green
Bettinardi Inovai 3.0 Centre Shaft

4

#5 woods991

woods991

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,983 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29516
  • Joined: 05/23/2007
  • Location:believeland
GolfWRX Likes : 133

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:03 PM

depending on the length you are playing if you cut it down a tad than reg. may work, I prefer stiff with very similar credentials. (playing -.25 off of standard)

Signature of Solon CC
Ping G400 Max 9 Tour AD IZ 6s 44.75
Tour Edge Exotics XCG6 15* w/ Accra FX200F M4 (Stiff) 75g
Titleist 917 f2 Diamana Thump 18 degree
Titleist 718 Ap2/Ap3 combo 4-Pw Project X
Taylormade 50*, 55*, 60* Milled Grind Wedge Tour Only Nippon NS Pro WV 125S
Evnroll er9 Superstroke ultra slim 1.0p 33”

5

#6 WpgMike

WpgMike

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 142327
  • Joined: 10/12/2011
  • Location:Winnipeg
  • Handicap:9.2
GolfWRX Likes : 110

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:07 PM

View Postphatchrisrules, on 16 April 2018 - 04:00 PM, said:

View PostWpgMike, on 16 April 2018 - 02:19 PM, said:

My 7 iron carry (33 degree Ping i20) is a comfortable 150, swing speed around 78 to 80.  Tempo is medium.  What do you guys think - stiff, regular or hardstepped regular?

Go R hard stepped once.  You're right at the cusp of stiff. 70-80 is stiff with a 7i, you are also smooth tempo'd.  It's cooler in Winnipeg for a lot of the season, meaning you're likely wearing multiple layers leading to a slightly restricted swing.  On top of that, cooler temps make the muscles a bit tighter.  Personally, I also prefer shafts that are a slight bit soft because they load easier and feel much smoother.  But that is anecdotal, really.

Thanks.  I'm assuming you mean 70-80 with a 7i is R, rather than S.

Right now I'm using Ping CFS regular hardstepped once.  Do you think the Nippon would be about the same?

Edited by WpgMike, 16 April 2018 - 04:13 PM.

Driver: Wishon 919thi 11* w/AXE 6 stiff
FW: Wishon 949mc 16.5* w/AXE FW Stiff
3-4 Hybrids: Wishon 775hs w/ S2S White Stiff
Irons: Miura CB-1008 w/Nippon Modus 105 S
Putter: Ping Ketsch Heavy 34" 2 degrees flat
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0

6

#7 phatchrisrules

phatchrisrules

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,762 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20680
  • Joined: 10/17/2006
  • Location:Southern Ontario, Canada
  • Handicap:6.5
GolfWRX Likes : 639

Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:07 PM

View PostWpgMike, on 16 April 2018 - 04:07 PM, said:

View Postphatchrisrules, on 16 April 2018 - 04:00 PM, said:

View PostWpgMike, on 16 April 2018 - 02:19 PM, said:

My 7 iron carry (33 degree Ping i20) is a comfortable 150, swing speed around 78 to 80.  Tempo is medium.  What do you guys think - stiff, regular or hardstepped regular?

Go R hard stepped once.  You're right at the cusp of stiff. 70-80 is stiff with a 7i, you are also smooth tempo'd.  It's cooler in Winnipeg for a lot of the season, meaning you're likely wearing multiple layers leading to a slightly restricted swing.  On top of that, cooler temps make the muscles a bit tighter.  Personally, I also prefer shafts that are a slight bit soft because they load easier and feel much smoother.  But that is anecdotal, really.

Thanks.  I'm assuming you mean 70-80 with a 7i is R, rather than S.

Right now I'm using Ping CFS regular hardstepped once.  Do you think the Nippon would be about the same?

Good eye, thank you!  I'll edit, yes you are correct.  I know the AWT for Ping is made by Nippon, I thought I heard the CFS was as well.  If so, you basically have a Modus already and know how it will perform.
Callaway Rogue SZ 9* - Diamana BF 60
Callaway Rogue SZ 13.5* - Fubuki V-Series 70
Callaway Rogue SZ 18* - Diamana Thump 85
Ping G700 4 - Fujikura Atmos Black 95
Ping G700 5 - Accra 105CWT "Master's Green"
Ping i500 6-PW - Accra 105CWT "Master's Green" (Most likely as it looks awesome)
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50/SS, 54/ES, 58/ES - Modus 105 Wedge Master's Green
Bettinardi Inovai 3.0 Centre Shaft

7

#8 4cowboys

4cowboys

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108805
  • Joined: 05/31/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:09 PM

View PostWpgMike, on 16 April 2018 - 02:19 PM, said:

My 7 iron carry (33 degree Ping i20) is a comfortable 150, swing speed around 78 to 80.  Tempo is medium.  What do you guys think - stiff, regular or hardstepped regular?
my swing speed is similar, and I have the stiff in my I e1's. they feel great, and my dispersion was much better with the stiff over the regular. Good luck!

8

#9 WpgMike

WpgMike

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 142327
  • Joined: 10/12/2011
  • Location:Winnipeg
  • Handicap:9.2
GolfWRX Likes : 110

Posted 17 April 2018 - 12:21 AM

Thanks for all the responses.  I'm trying to decide between hard stepped regulars and soft stepped stiffs.

In practical terms is their much difference?
Driver: Wishon 919thi 11* w/AXE 6 stiff
FW: Wishon 949mc 16.5* w/AXE FW Stiff
3-4 Hybrids: Wishon 775hs w/ S2S White Stiff
Irons: Miura CB-1008 w/Nippon Modus 105 S
Putter: Ping Ketsch Heavy 34" 2 degrees flat
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0

9

#10 noodle3872

noodle3872

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,153 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8163
  • Joined: 11/26/2005
  • Location:Chilliwack B.C. Canada
  • Handicap:8.3
  • Ebay ID:Noodle3872
GolfWRX Likes : 802

Posted 17 April 2018 - 01:02 AM

View PostWpgMike, on 17 April 2018 - 12:21 AM, said:

Thanks for all the responses.  I'm trying to decide between hard stepped regulars and soft stepped stiffs.

In practical terms is their much difference?

The shaft will play approximately 1/3 of a flex softer or firmer. Quite honestly its splitting hairs; you will have no issue loading the S flex straight in. Maybe think of it this way; R flex may yield more distance and feel smoother due to less flex but dispersion may suffer. S flex may cost you a couple yards of distance, feel tighter while still feeling smooth and should be as accurate if not more accurate than the R flex.

Edited by noodle3872, 17 April 2018 - 01:02 AM.

Taylormade 2018 M4 9.5 driver with MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 60 S Flex
Taylormade 2017 M2 15 fairway wood with MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 S Flex
Taylormade 2017 M2 19 hybrid with MCA OT Tour Hybrid 80 S Flex
Taylormade 2017 M2 22 hybrid with MCA OT Tour Hybrid 90 S Flex
Mizuno MP-18 MMC irons 5-PW Irons with Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-08 and 62-08 with Modus3 105 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Futura 5M H17
Scotty Cameron Futura 7M
Titleist Pro V1

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 Golf64

Golf64

    Go Habs Go!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,356 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104067
  • Joined: 02/27/2010
  • Location:Ontario, Canada
  • Handicap:Golf
GolfWRX Likes : 3051

Posted 17 April 2018 - 05:46 AM

WpgMike, I have the same numbers as you, just ordered i200s with modus 105 stiff. A little less spin for a bit more distance, tighter dispersion and like the feel better. ;)
Bag under construction

Super Bowl LII Champions
Fly Eagles Fly

11

#12 KaBoom21

KaBoom21

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13233
  • Joined: 03/09/2006
  • Location:chicago
GolfWRX Likes : 222

Posted 17 April 2018 - 11:01 AM

Remember, the Modus is an incredibly smooth shaft. Don't mistake it for weakness to flex.

12

#13 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,010 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
  • Joined: 04/12/2012
  • Location:New Hampshire
GolfWRX Likes : 6761

Posted 17 April 2018 - 11:21 AM

View PostKaBoom21, on 17 April 2018 - 11:01 AM, said:

Remember, the Modus is an incredibly smooth shaft. Don't mistake it for weakness to flex.

The fact that it is not as stiff is what makes it smoother.   Just don't confuse "weaker" as an inherently negative descriptor of the profile, it's really not.

Edited by Stuart G., 17 April 2018 - 11:21 AM.


13

#14 WpgMike

WpgMike

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 142327
  • Joined: 10/12/2011
  • Location:Winnipeg
  • Handicap:9.2
GolfWRX Likes : 110

Posted 17 April 2018 - 11:35 AM

I see alot of LPGA pros on the Ping site use regular flex Nippons (and I'm not even talking about the Modus versions - although Brook Henderson (who swings quite hard) uses stiff Modus 105's).

https://ping.com/pros/lpga-tour

With a 150 7 iron carry, am I really loading the shaft harder than an LPGA pro enough to go to stiff?

Edited by WpgMike, 17 April 2018 - 11:36 AM.

Driver: Wishon 919thi 11* w/AXE 6 stiff
FW: Wishon 949mc 16.5* w/AXE FW Stiff
3-4 Hybrids: Wishon 775hs w/ S2S White Stiff
Irons: Miura CB-1008 w/Nippon Modus 105 S
Putter: Ping Ketsch Heavy 34" 2 degrees flat
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0

14

#15 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,010 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
  • Joined: 04/12/2012
  • Location:New Hampshire
GolfWRX Likes : 6761

Posted 17 April 2018 - 11:44 AM

View PostWpgMike, on 17 April 2018 - 11:35 AM, said:

With a 150 7 iron carry, am I really loading the shaft harder than an LPGA pro enough to go to stiff?

Why do you think it matters?  

There is no ideal or 'right' amount of loading.   Whether it's too much, or not enough, or just right - is completely a matter of your personal preference for what you want or think you should feel during the swing. The effect on dynamic loft from the shaft bend (if any) can easily be offset or managed with changes to the static lofts if necessary.

And what you will feel is as much about how aggressive/smooth the transition and how early/late the release is - as it is about swing speed or distance.

Edited by Stuart G., 17 April 2018 - 11:46 AM.


15

#16 WpgMike

WpgMike

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 142327
  • Joined: 10/12/2011
  • Location:Winnipeg
  • Handicap:9.2
GolfWRX Likes : 110

Posted 17 April 2018 - 12:10 PM

View PostStuart G., on 17 April 2018 - 11:44 AM, said:

View PostWpgMike, on 17 April 2018 - 11:35 AM, said:

With a 150 7 iron carry, am I really loading the shaft harder than an LPGA pro enough to go to stiff?

Why do you think it matters?  

There is no ideal or 'right' amount of loading.   Whether it's too much, or not enough, or just right - is completely a matter of your personal preference for what you want or think you should feel during the swing. The effect on dynamic loft from the shaft bend (if any) can easily be offset or managed with changes to the static lofts if necessary.

And what you will feel is as much about how aggressive/smooth the transition and how early/late the release is - as it is about swing speed or distance.

That's a good point.  I guess I could have also been more clear.  I'm more concerned with flight than feel.  I've played softer shafts and they feel fine.  I just don't like heavy shafts.

How would you classify this transition and release?  And I don't mean 'sloppy' and 'horrible!' :)

https://www.youtube....h?v=xtPcCzis1K0

Edited by WpgMike, 17 April 2018 - 12:10 PM.

Driver: Wishon 919thi 11* w/AXE 6 stiff
FW: Wishon 949mc 16.5* w/AXE FW Stiff
3-4 Hybrids: Wishon 775hs w/ S2S White Stiff
Irons: Miura CB-1008 w/Nippon Modus 105 S
Putter: Ping Ketsch Heavy 34" 2 degrees flat
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0

16

#17 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,010 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
  • Joined: 04/12/2012
  • Location:New Hampshire
GolfWRX Likes : 6761

Posted 17 April 2018 - 12:20 PM

Weight and stiffness  are really separate shaft characteristics - so best not to lump them together.

Hard to judge transition with a slo-mo video (at least it is for me).   The release looks fairly moderate, not too early and not too late.

But those are just aspects (as well as swing speed) that contribute to how you feel the shaft respond.  They wont help anyone tell you what stiffness (and resulting feel) will be a good fit or not.   And it's not really uncommon at all for the feel from the flex to make little actual difference in the quality and performance of the swing.   So if the results are good, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

17

#18 KaBoom21

KaBoom21

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13233
  • Joined: 03/09/2006
  • Location:chicago
GolfWRX Likes : 222

Posted 17 April 2018 - 01:18 PM

View PostStuart G., on 17 April 2018 - 11:21 AM, said:

View PostKaBoom21, on 17 April 2018 - 11:01 AM, said:

Remember, the Modus is an incredibly smooth shaft. Don't mistake it for weakness to flex.

The fact that it is not as stiff is what makes it smoother.   Just don't confuse "weaker" as an inherently negative descriptor of the profile, it's really not.
I'm not confusing anything.

18

#19 Boiler0007

Boiler0007

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483750
  • Joined: 10/07/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 17 April 2018 - 02:59 PM

I think regular flex would be just fine

19

#20 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,010 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
  • Joined: 04/12/2012
  • Location:New Hampshire
GolfWRX Likes : 6761

Posted 18 April 2018 - 03:53 AM

View PostKaBoom21, on 17 April 2018 - 01:18 PM, said:

View PostStuart G., on 17 April 2018 - 11:21 AM, said:

View PostKaBoom21, on 17 April 2018 - 11:01 AM, said:

Remember, the Modus is an incredibly smooth shaft. Don't mistake it for weakness to flex.

The fact that it is not as stiff is what makes it smoother.   Just don't confuse "weaker" as an inherently negative descriptor of the profile, it's really not.
I'm not confusing anything.

Sorry if that wasn't the case but your wording of your warning seemed to imply otherwise - since they really are weaker then most shafts of the same flex (and weaker then many shafts a full flex softer).

Capture.PNG

Edited by Stuart G., 18 April 2018 - 03:58 AM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#21 WpgMike

WpgMike

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 142327
  • Joined: 10/12/2011
  • Location:Winnipeg
  • Handicap:9.2
GolfWRX Likes : 110

Posted 18 April 2018 - 10:06 AM

Stuart, how does the Modus 105 compare to some other shafts of similar weight - the C taper lite or the Recoil 95 for example?
Driver: Wishon 919thi 11* w/AXE 6 stiff
FW: Wishon 949mc 16.5* w/AXE FW Stiff
3-4 Hybrids: Wishon 775hs w/ S2S White Stiff
Irons: Miura CB-1008 w/Nippon Modus 105 S
Putter: Ping Ketsch Heavy 34" 2 degrees flat
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0

21

#22 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,010 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
  • Joined: 04/12/2012
  • Location:New Hampshire
GolfWRX Likes : 6761

Posted 18 April 2018 - 10:19 AM

Still pretty soft.   Don't have a lot of steel in the same weight but here is what I got.


Capture.PNG

Edited by Stuart G., 18 April 2018 - 10:20 AM.


22

#23 RainShadow

RainShadow

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,201 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85204
  • Joined: 06/10/2009
  • Location:Tucson AZ (for now)
  • Handicap:9.5
GolfWRX Likes : 511

Posted 18 April 2018 - 10:36 AM

I hit my 7 150, driver is 225-230 carry.
I play the 105s in stiff. Very smooth and accurate. Demoted them in regular but lost some accuracy.
GBB Epic 10.5  Speeder 661
Xhot 4wood Diamana S+ 70
Apex Hybrid  20, 23 & 26 Kuro Kage
Srixon Z765 6-GW Modus 105 stiff/  2018 X Forged 6-PW Modus 120
MackDaddy4 Black 54 S and 58 X grinds
Bettinardi BB1/ OWorks 2 Ball Red
Chrome Soft / TP5.

23

#24 WpgMike

WpgMike

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 142327
  • Joined: 10/12/2011
  • Location:Winnipeg
  • Handicap:9.2
GolfWRX Likes : 110

Posted 18 April 2018 - 10:38 AM

Wow, it profiles softer than the KBS 90's.

I ended up going with stiff.  Glad I did.  I don't think it has a huge effect on my ball flight though, as I said before.
Driver: Wishon 919thi 11* w/AXE 6 stiff
FW: Wishon 949mc 16.5* w/AXE FW Stiff
3-4 Hybrids: Wishon 775hs w/ S2S White Stiff
Irons: Miura CB-1008 w/Nippon Modus 105 S
Putter: Ping Ketsch Heavy 34" 2 degrees flat
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0

24

#25 RainShadow

RainShadow

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,201 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85204
  • Joined: 06/10/2009
  • Location:Tucson AZ (for now)
  • Handicap:9.5
GolfWRX Likes : 511

Posted 18 April 2018 - 10:42 AM

View PostWpgMike, on 18 April 2018 - 10:38 AM, said:

Wow, it profiles softer than the KBS 90's.

I ended up going with stiff.  Glad I did.  I don't think it has a huge effect on my ball flight though, as I said before.
Plays a hell of a lot better than the KBS 90. I hit moon balls and lost 10-12 yards per club with those.

GBB Epic 10.5  Speeder 661
Xhot 4wood Diamana S+ 70
Apex Hybrid  20, 23 & 26 Kuro Kage
Srixon Z765 6-GW Modus 105 stiff/  2018 X Forged 6-PW Modus 120
MackDaddy4 Black 54 S and 58 X grinds
Bettinardi BB1/ OWorks 2 Ball Red
Chrome Soft / TP5.

25

#26 WpgMike

WpgMike

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 142327
  • Joined: 10/12/2011
  • Location:Winnipeg
  • Handicap:9.2
GolfWRX Likes : 110

Posted 18 April 2018 - 10:49 AM

View PostRainShadow, on 18 April 2018 - 10:42 AM, said:

View PostWpgMike, on 18 April 2018 - 10:38 AM, said:

Wow, it profiles softer than the KBS 90's.

I ended up going with stiff.  Glad I did.  I don't think it has a huge effect on my ball flight though, as I said before.
Plays a hell of a lot better than the KBS 90. I hit moon balls and lost 10-12 yards per club with those.

I know, right?  I've always found the KBS 90's to be spin machine moon ball makers.  Weird.
Driver: Wishon 919thi 11* w/AXE 6 stiff
FW: Wishon 949mc 16.5* w/AXE FW Stiff
3-4 Hybrids: Wishon 775hs w/ S2S White Stiff
Irons: Miura CB-1008 w/Nippon Modus 105 S
Putter: Ping Ketsch Heavy 34" 2 degrees flat
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0

26

#27 cmatthews77

cmatthews77

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 259542
  • Joined: 06/27/2013
  • Location:Tuscaloosa, AL
  • Handicap:3.4
GolfWRX Likes : 263

Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:25 PM

I swing 7i st approx 82-84mph and the Mizuno shaft optimizer recently suggested Modus 105 in R or 950 in S.
Callaway
GBB Epic Driver (10.5) - Project X HZRDUS
GBB Epic 3W (14) - Diamana
GBB Epic  5W (18) - Project X HZRDUS
Apex 4 Hybrid- Kuro Kage
'16 Apex CF16 (5i), Apex Pro (6,7), '18 Apex MB (8-PW) Recoil 95
MD3 Black 50, 54 (S Grind) & 58 (PM Grind)
Scotty Cameron Futura X7

Callaway Chrome Soft X

27

#28 phatchrisrules

phatchrisrules

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,762 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20680
  • Joined: 10/17/2006
  • Location:Southern Ontario, Canada
  • Handicap:6.5
GolfWRX Likes : 639

Posted 20 April 2018 - 06:30 AM

View PostStuart G., on 18 April 2018 - 10:19 AM, said:

Still pretty soft.   Don't have a lot of steel in the same weight but here is what I got.


Attachment Capture.PNG

Stuart, I don't need the EI profile, but just your opinion.  I'm an 88-90 guy with a 6i.  I hit the 105S pretty good and it feels awesome, I'm just leery about it being a bit soft since I'm in that tweener speed.  Should I go S hardstepped or X soft stepped?  I tend to hook, so I feel like the X ssx1 might be the better option for the added weight.  Thoughts?
Callaway Rogue SZ 9* - Diamana BF 60
Callaway Rogue SZ 13.5* - Fubuki V-Series 70
Callaway Rogue SZ 18* - Diamana Thump 85
Ping G700 4 - Fujikura Atmos Black 95
Ping G700 5 - Accra 105CWT "Master's Green"
Ping i500 6-PW - Accra 105CWT "Master's Green" (Most likely as it looks awesome)
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50/SS, 54/ES, 58/ES - Modus 105 Wedge Master's Green
Bettinardi Inovai 3.0 Centre Shaft

28

#29 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,010 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
  • Joined: 04/12/2012
  • Location:New Hampshire
GolfWRX Likes : 6761

Posted 20 April 2018 - 07:23 AM

View Postphatchrisrules, on 20 April 2018 - 06:30 AM, said:

Stuart, I don't need the EI profile, but just your opinion.  I'm an 88-90 guy with a 6i.  I hit the 105S pretty good and it feels awesome, I'm just leery about it being a bit soft since I'm in that tweener speed.  Should I go S hardstepped or X soft stepped?  I tend to hook, so I feel like the X ssx1 might be the better option for the added weight.  Thoughts?

If it feels "awesome" and there is no problem with the results - then everything else is over-thinking the choice (forget swing speed).   It only should be a concern if the softness might be contributing to that hook miss.  Now that's possible - but there are other possibilities as well, such as the 105 maybe being a bit too light or SW too light or it may be just an inherent aspect of your swing and have nothing to do with the equipment choice.   I wouldn't assume it's due to the softness of the shaft w/o some tests to validate - so it's best to take the time to do those tests and find out what equipment/shaft characteristics might be contributing to that hook miss (if any).

Have you demo'd or hit a club with the 105x?
What about a 120 stiff or other shafts in the 115-120 gm range?  
What about a 105s with a heavier swing weight?

Then evaluate how those tests or changes affect the frequency and/or severity of the hook miss.

Now if it turns out that the softness is a contributing factor to the hook miss, and that (105) really is the best shaft weight,  I personally wouldn't bother with soft/hard stepping - just go up the the x-flex.   Stepping x1 in either direction is generally way too subtle to make a difference for most am's.  At best it's just a little bit of fine tuning to those rare folks that might be supper sensitive to the feel from the shaft.

Edited by Stuart G., 20 April 2018 - 11:22 AM.


29

#30 gpepegolf

gpepegolf

    Southern transplant

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 186724
  • Joined: 06/16/2012
  • Location:Chicago, IL
  • Handicap:2.6
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted 20 April 2018 - 11:02 AM

View Postnoodle3872, on 16 April 2018 - 02:51 PM, said:

My swing speed with 7i is a few mph faster than yours and I would call my tempo medium as well and I am in Stiff flex.  I found R flex to whippy and just for giggles tried X flex too.  X was not really too bad however was too firm for my liking on part shots.

Noodle is spot on. Popped a 105X in my 7 iron and wedge. Full bore shots were fine, anything less not so much. Still on the fence about committing to the 105S. The season is just starting in Chicago (if you ignore the snow this week) and will pop the X back in once I have a little playing time behind me. I also have a 105S 7-iron on the way to demo.

Southern transplant<br /><br />Ping G LS Tec 9.0<br /><br />Aldila Rogue I/O 60 S<br /><br />RBZ stage 2 tour 3 wood stock shaft-S<br /><br />Ping G25 20* hybrid, stock shaft-S<br /><br />Srixon Z945 4-PW KBS tour Stiff<br />Titleist SM7 50 (8), SM7 54 (10) & SM6 58 (8) stock shaft<br /><br />Odyssey #9 white hot pro

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors