Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Anybody know anything about Ping TFC100 shaft from a few years back?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 KSP

KSP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 216831
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:09 PM

I picked up a nice and cheap set of Zing 2 irons in my preferred orange dot.  However,  they had a graphite tfc 100 shafts.  For the price I bought them, I figured it was worth a shot.  I like the clubs overall, but I’ve never played superlight graphite shafts in my irons, so I’m having a little adjustment.  I’m not necessarily even planning on playing these full time, but I always liked the zing 2s and wanted to own a set.  

Anyway, I can’t find anything on these except for the weight, which is apparently 71-86 grams for reg-stiff.  

I was just curious if anyone had experience or have heard much about these stock ping shafts from a few years back.   Also, generally speaking, what kind of dispersion do you expect from graphite shafted irons (vs steel) now and 10-15 years ago.  

Thx

Edited by KSP, 16 April 2018 - 12:11 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,999 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
GolfWRX Likes : 6753

Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:32 PM

I played them (the stiffs) for a few years (in a set of i5's). Generally somewhat soft to flex and mid-high launch.   Not really a good fit for me, but that's not really  the shafts fault.   I struggled with both the soft profile and the light weight for a couple of years before I gave up and went to a graphite shaft in the 95-100 gm range with a firmer profile  (e.g. like the recoil 95, SF i95 and vs-proto 100's).

Dispersion is not about age (at least not for anything less then 20 years old) - or even whether they are graphite vs steel.   It's not even a characteristic of the shaft at all.   It's ALL about how well the weight and the stiffness profile fit your swing and your personal preferences.

EDIT: If they feel too light or too soft - they probably are and dispersion can suffer because of it. Although keep in mind that Ping's generally swing weight lighter then most other OEM irons - and that can also be a source for the club feeling too light.

Edited by Stuart G., 16 April 2018 - 12:35 PM.

#3 RogerinNewZealand

RogerinNewZealand

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 145241
GolfWRX Likes : 767

Posted 19 April 2018 - 10:43 AM

The TFC 100 was a bit before the Pro Launch Blue and VS Proto  were put in Ping gear.
The Blue and VS were a big step forward !!
I had stock graphites, a 350 shaft, in Ping i 3 oversize in around 1999/2000  after some upper back issues....
With my then slow swing speed i wasn't over working the shafts.
Fast forward 10 years, more healthy, back repaired, i'm over powering NS Pro 950's in...Titleist 681's !!!
2018  9th Nov

Ping i15  11 degrees
Ping i 25 5 wood 18 degrees or
Cally X2Hot 4 wood 17 degrees

Mizuno MP37  4 to PW (47)  DG R300 The Find LOVE EM

Vokey 54/10 SM Vokey SM5 50 08 F and 60 11 K

Titleist Scotty Mid Slant Pro Platinum at 35.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors