Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Fairway Woods for Juniors

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 hangontight

hangontight

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 477968
GolfWRX Likes : 89

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:51 AM

Good posts recently about Drivers, but I couldn't find any (recent) threads about Fairway woods.  Callaway XR16 Driver seems to be a popular and good choice for younger juniors because the head is lighter than average.  Looking at a 5 or 7 wood (to be his "3 wood".. +/- 20* loft).   Will be pairing with Flynn Shaft.

Anyone have experience with XR 16 Fairway woods?  Are they lighter than average (like the Driver is)?  They do not have an adjustable hosel, maybe not a big deal
Factors are light weight and obviously looking for performance increase over US Kids Tour Series.  

Please share suggestions or experiences.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481904
GolfWRX Likes : 295

Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:57 PM

My 7YO has been playing a TS51 3-Wood for a year now. Hits it well off the tee and ground. It will still remain in the bag for a while. Recently got him the Cobra Fly-Z+ 3/4 Fairway. Hit it yesterday at the range for the first time.

1. Off the tee, the flight was lower and more penetrating as expected with the front CG weight than the TS51 3-W.  I felt overall distance was better off the tee with the Fly-Z+.

2. Off the ground (mat) at the range, ball flight was far too low. Basically a 8-10ft high line drive, but it did roll and roll and roll. Of course, it was his first time with the club and he will need to adjust some.  Certainly, this is an area where I may have made a mistake in club purchase for him. Perhaps a regular Fly-Z Fairway (with back CG weight) instead of the Fly-Z+ (with front CG) would be better for him. Regardless, I'll let him grow into the club some more. Swing mechanics change from day-to-day at this age.

Interested to hear what others have experience with the fairway woods also.

#3 Belmont148

Belmont148

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 474430
GolfWRX Likes : 393

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:13 PM

Heavenwood
Current Bag:

Cobra F7+ Driver 10.5 Aldila Rogue 125 Silver TS 44.5"
Epic SZ 15.5* GD ADDI 6S
F6 Baffler 17.5* Aldila Rogue Black 70 stiff
Cobra F7 3H and 4H Fujikura stock 75S/Aldila Rogue 85H R flex
Mizuno MP15 5-PW Project X LZ 5.5
MD2 Tour 52* and 58* S200/300
Scotty Studio Stainless Newport 2

Alternates:
Ping G 3w stock Alta Stiff 42.25"
F6 Baffler stock Matrix Red Stiff
MD Forged 56* S200
PM Grind MD3 60* KBS Wedge
PM Grind MD3 64* KBS 610

#4 hangontight

hangontight

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 02:01 PM

View Postwildcatden, on 16 April 2018 - 12:57 PM, said:

My 7YO has been playing a TS51 3-Wood for a year now. Hits it well off the tee and ground. It will still remain in the bag for a while. Recently got him the Cobra Fly-Z+ 3/4 Fairway. Hit it yesterday at the range for the first time.

1. Off the tee, the flight was lower and more penetrating as expected with the front CG weight than the TS51 3-W.  I felt overall distance was better off the tee with the Fly-Z+.

2. Off the ground (mat) at the range, ball flight was far too low. Basically a 8-10ft high line drive, but it did roll and roll and roll. Of course, it was his first time with the club and he will need to adjust some.  Certainly, this is an area where I may have made a mistake in club purchase for him. Perhaps a regular Fly-Z Fairway (with back CG weight) instead of the Fly-Z+ (with front CG) would be better for him. Regardless, I'll let him grow into the club some more. Swing mechanics change from day-to-day at this age.

What loft is the cobra 3/4 wood?  We have TS51 as well, 3w is 20* Loft.  If we move on to OEM fairway, we will go with and 5 or even 7 wood to get in the 20-21* loft range.  I think loft on OEM 3w is probably 15* or so, which is lower than TS Driver.  Mine hits the 3wood OK ,but seems like it could be more.  Repeatedly hearing on this forum about the advantage of OEM DRIVERS over Us Kids, I wonder if same advantage to be had with fairway.

#5 BloctonGolf11

BloctonGolf11

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 376734
  • Handicap:8
  • Ebay ID:bdgreene
GolfWRX Likes : 108

Posted 16 April 2018 - 02:10 PM

My son uses a Cobra BioCell 3/5 women's head mated to a Flynn shaft. We have it set on 19.5 and I can uneqivocaly say the move to the OEM (BioCell) fairway and hybrid is a bigger positive change than the move to the driver. The driver improvement was good but the fairway and hybrid improvement was game changing in terms of consistency, distance, and playability from the tee and the fairway. I never liked the USKids TS fairway or hybrid myself, the heads seemed very dead to me.

Dad's Bag

D: Ping G30 10 degree, Aldila Reg Flex
3W, and 7W: Cleveland Black, Bassara, Lite Flex
5i - PW: Titleist AP1 716, DG XP90 Reg Flex
W: 48 Cleveland Rotex 3
W: 52 Cleveland Rotex 2
W: 56 Vokey SM6 F Grind
P: TP Mills Flat-T Proto/TP Mills Softtail/Nike Oven MC-07w Prototype
Ball: Srixon Q-Star

Son's Bag (8 years old)
D: Callaway XR16, Flynn Shaft (Set to 15.5)
3W: Cobra Biocell, Flynn Shaft (Set to 19.5)
4H: Cobra Biocell, Flynn Shaft (Set to 25)
5i-PW: US Kids Tour Series TS2
W: 52, 56 degree US Kids Tour Series TS2
P: Nike Ignite 006/US Kids Tour Sandhills/Odyssey 2-Ball XJ
Ball: Srixon Superfeel

#6 MikekiM

MikekiM

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 415850
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 16 April 2018 - 02:13 PM

So my son uses an 2016 M1 3wd HL.  It has an adjustable hosel that we've turned up, and I've removed both weights to lighten the club.  What I've been doing for the past year was take his old M2 driver shaft, and put it in the 3W.  So his driver is playing about 37", and he'll use an older driver shaft that plays about 34.5". Seems to be working ok for us.  This way I don't have to keep buying clubs, just a new driver shaft, and rotate them down.  Hopefully can keep this up for another year or two.
Taylor Made R15
Ping G25
Titleist T-MB
Titleist 716 CB
Titleist Vokey SM6
Evnroll ER2
Chrome Soft X

#7 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:02 PM

View Posthangontight, on 16 April 2018 - 02:01 PM, said:

What loft is the cobra 3/4 wood?  We have TS51 as well, 3w is 20* Loft.  If we move on to OEM fairway, we will go with and 5 or even 7 wood to get in the 20-21* loft range.  I think loft on OEM 3w is probably 15* or so, which is lower than TS Driver.  Mine hits the 3wood OK ,but seems like it could be more.  Repeatedly hearing on this forum about the advantage of OEM DRIVERS over Us Kids, I wonder if same advantage to be had with fairway.

Cobra Fly-Z+ 3/4 Fairway adjusts from 13-16 degrees. We have it at 16 now.  I think the front CG is the big factor right now for that club. I'm pretty confident he would be hitting the regular Fly-Z 3/4 fairway (at same 16 degrees) with a much better flight....but that's the design anyway.

#8 frankie

frankie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 536
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:24 PM

2016 M1 5 wood 19 degree and adjustable, just take off one of the 12 gram weights.

#9 Jaggie99

Jaggie99

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128683
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:27 PM

View Postwildcatden, on 16 April 2018 - 03:02 PM, said:

Cobra Fly-Z+ 3/4 Fairway adjusts from 13-16 degrees. We have it at 16 now.  I think the front CG is the big factor right now for that club. I'm pretty confident he would be hitting the regular Fly-Z 3/4 fairway (at same 16 degrees) with a much better flight....but that's the design anyway.

I just recently built a Driver and FW for my 13 year old. The FW is a Cobra Fly Z 3/4 for ~$35. Got the Flynn VT Max Velocity shaft (built to 41") with Cobra adapter and fits like a charm after setting it at 17.5 degrees. My son is crushing this combo as we evaluated it on Skytrak in the garage. He has a grin ear to ear seeing his yardage ~40 yards more than what he is getting out of his US kids hybrid........I also built him a R15 rescue hybrid with the same Flynn shaft setup.

For grins I decided to use the Fujikura OEM shaft it came with and test my yardage. This thing (Fly Z) is super easy to hit and just laser like shots. I'll be checking eBay if I can get a Fly Z head

Here are some pics of his woods setup (D=R15 12 deg head set to 13 deg, FW = Fly Z head set to 17.5 deg, Rescue = R15 set to 21 deg)

Attached Files

Edited by Jaggie99, 16 April 2018 - 03:40 PM.

#10 hangontight

hangontight

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:47 PM

View Postfrankie, on 16 April 2018 - 03:24 PM, said:

2016 M1 5 wood 19 degree and adjustable, just take off one of the 12 gram weights.

Is it Tmnt legal to have weights removed completely?

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 frankie

frankie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 536
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:15 PM

I don't see why you can't remove or add weights in the heads. They have different weights as well to really dial in the Swing Weight.

I'm guessing the only issue you have in tournaments if we removed or added weights during the round.

#12 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:23 PM

View PostJaggie99, on 16 April 2018 - 03:27 PM, said:

I just recently built a Driver and FW for my 13 year old. The FW is a Cobra Fly Z 3/4 for ~$35. Got the Flynn VT Max Velocity shaft (built to 41") with Cobra adapter and fits like a charm after setting it at 17.5 degrees. My son is crushing this combo as we evaluated it on Skytrak in the garage. He has a grin ear to ear seeing his yardage ~40 yards more than what he is getting out of his US kids hybrid........I also built him a R15 rescue hybrid with the same Flynn shaft setup.

For grins I decided to use the Fujikura OEM shaft it came with and test my yardage. This thing (Fly Z) is super easy to hit and just laser like shots. I'll be checking eBay if I can get a Fly Z head

Here are some pics of his woods setup (D=R15 12 deg head set to 13 deg, FW = Fly Z head set to 17.5 deg, Rescue = R15 set to 21 deg)

Is your Flynn Shaft on the 3/4 Fly-Z Fairway using an adapter from Flynn?  The Fly-Z 3/4 adjusts from 13-16* so if you are setting at 17.5 on the adapter you are actually at 14.5*.  Essentially, just subtract 3 from the number displayed to get the actual loft. Curious....thx in advance.

#13 Belmont148

Belmont148

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:29 PM

View Postwildcatden, on 16 April 2018 - 04:23 PM, said:

View PostJaggie99, on 16 April 2018 - 03:27 PM, said:

Is your Flynn Shaft on the 3/4 Fly-Z Fairway using an adapter from Flynn?  The Fly-Z 3/4 adjusts from 13-16* so if you are setting at 17.5 on the adapter you are actually at 14.5*.  Essentially, just subtract 3 from the number displayed to get the actual loft. Curious....thx in advance.

It depends on what the range is on his adapter. That club is not at 17.5D though if it is a 3/4 fwy.

If the range is 17-20 then it is at 13.5d If it is 16-19 then they are at 14.5d. The head dictates the loft range. The numbers on the adapter don't mean anything.
Current Bag:

Epic SZ 15.5* GD ADDI 6S

Alternates:
MD Forged 56* S200
PM Grind MD3 64* KBS 610

#14 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:42 PM

View PostBelmont148, on 16 April 2018 - 04:29 PM, said:

It depends on what the range is on his adapter. That club is not at 17.5D though if it is a 3/4 fwy.

If the range is 17-20 then it is at 13.5d If it is 16-19 then they are at 14.5d. The head dictates the loft range. The numbers on the adapter don't mean anything.

I'm positive the Fly-Z and Fly-Z+ 3/4 Fairway is 13-16*.  https://www.cobragolf.com/fly-z-fairway  

The Cobra adapter I got with my Flynn shaft ranged from 16-19*, so I made this table for my handy reference.

Actual Club Loft = Adapter setting loft

13 degree = 16

13.5 degree = 16.5

13.5D degree =  16.5D

14.5 degree = 17.5

14.5D degree = 17.5D

15.5 degree = 18.5

15.5D degree = 18.5D

16 degree = 19

#15 Belmont148

Belmont148

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:39 PM

Indeed. The club head is 13-16.  Looks like you are on top of yours. Just depends on what his loft sleeve has as to whether your table works for them as well.

Current Bag:

Epic SZ 15.5* GD ADDI 6S

Alternates:
MD Forged 56* S200
PM Grind MD3 64* KBS 610

#16 darter79

darter79

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66967
GolfWRX Likes : 117

Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:55 PM

I got a 20.5 ping G. Smokes it. A lot better than the us kids or Flynn we used before.  Have a Flynn shaft in it.

#17 Belmont148

Belmont148

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:27 PM

Mine uses a GBB Heavenwood at 20* with a Flynn shaft. He'll be adding a Cobra LTD Black 5W with a Cobra Junior shaft that used to be in his driver in a few weeks.
Current Bag:

Epic SZ 15.5* GD ADDI 6S

Alternates:
MD Forged 56* S200
PM Grind MD3 64* KBS 610

#18 darter79

darter79

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66967
GolfWRX Likes : 117

Posted 17 April 2018 - 08:26 AM

View Posthangontight, on 16 April 2018 - 03:47 PM, said:

from my understanding no.

#19 Belmont148

Belmont148

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 08:36 AM

View Postdarter79, on 17 April 2018 - 08:26 AM, said:

On the M1 it is. It becomes non-conforming if an open slot or screw hole is left when removing the weights. Some folks put both weights on one track leaving one whole track exposed. Look at the new Mizuno driver, it has a lot of open slots with no weights, but no open threads. Cobra includes a dummy weight for their drivers that have various locations, so if you leave it off it is non-conforming. Granted, these are Jr. events so I am not sure how much of a stickler folks are on this, but the M1 is definitely legal with weights removed.

Putting cotton in the head is not. It must be affixed inside the head and not move around. So yarn and cotton won't do. That's why on tour they use hot melt.
Current Bag:

Epic SZ 15.5* GD ADDI 6S

Alternates:
MD Forged 56* S200
PM Grind MD3 64* KBS 610

#20 CTgolf

CTgolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124521
GolfWRX Likes : 94

Posted 17 April 2018 - 08:43 AM

I looked at the USGA Rules on equipment (http://www.usga.org/...e-14617,general) and I don't believe it says anywhere you cannot remove the weights before the round - you just cannot adjust during play?

Edited by CTgolf, 17 April 2018 - 08:44 AM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 Belmont148

Belmont148

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 08:50 AM

View PostCTgolf, on 17 April 2018 - 08:43 AM, said:

I looked at the USGA Rules on equipment (http://www.usga.org/...e-14617,general) and I don't believe it says anywhere you cannot remove the weights before the round - you just cannot adjust during play?

As long as it doesn't leave a hole in the head.
Current Bag:

Epic SZ 15.5* GD ADDI 6S

Alternates:
MD Forged 56* S200