Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Help Choosing A Putter - I Manipulate Putter Head With Hands

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ElPresidenteGrande

ElPresidenteGrande

ElPresidenteGrande

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29390
  • Handicap:2.8
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:23 AM

Over the last few years, I have had a real problem with my hands twitching the putter head at impact. I used to consider myself a good putter, but lately I have developed a twitch at impact that opens the clubface. Off the golf course, I suffer from an essential tremor for which I take medication, but it really didn't show up in my putting stroke until several years ago. I have used 3 putters over the past decade, but I am now looking to make a switch to something that is more friendly to sufferors of hand tremors. I have used the following putters, but none of them seem to reduce the amount of twisting at impact:

1. Scotty Cameron Circa 62 No.2
2. Yes! Sophia (Blade Tribute to Wilson 8802)
3. Guage Design By David Whitlam G2-Mill

All have had standard grips, with the exception of the Yes! Sophia. For the Sophia, I added weight to the end of the grip.

I have considered a SeeMore Centershafted Putter and a counterbalanced weighted putter. I've not really given much thought to an oversized grip, but would be willing to give it a try if it would work.

Any suggestions?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Maximilian

Maximilian

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106865
GolfWRX Likes : 455

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:16 PM

Oversized grip would be a good place to start.

My mother who plays a lot (10 handicap at age 71) developed a twich while putting a while back, but she closed the face at impact. She fairly regularly takes lessons from a retired pro golfer who had her change to the claw grip. She was hesitant as she thought it felt awkward, but he pretty much forced her to keep at it.

I played with her during Easter and I have honestly never seen her putt this well! A huge difference with absolutely no tendency of twitching. She said it only too her a few days to get used to it and now she could never go back.

For me it feels super awkward, but I have only tried it for a few minutes now and then. You might want to give it a try, but if you do, you should probably give it a real shot for at least a few days.

Hope you find something that works for you!

#3 Majors17

Majors17

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104374
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:37 PM

Have you thought about a mallet and big grip combo? Some of the new putters out there have stable forgiving heads. Big grip would help with grip pressure for sure and a little forgiveness can go a long way.

#4 MSUIRONDAWGS

MSUIRONDAWGS

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105474
GolfWRX Likes : 208

Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:40 PM

View PostMajors17, on 16 April 2018 - 03:37 PM, said:

Have you thought about a mallet and big grip combo? Some of the new putters out there have stable forgiving heads. Big grip would help with grip pressure for sure and a little forgiveness can go a long way.

This...Jumbo grip will do wonders for any sort of yips...MOI of the mallet works great in tandem too

#5 ElPresidenteGrande

ElPresidenteGrande

ElPresidenteGrande

• 29 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29390
  • Handicap:2.8
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 17 April 2018 - 07:08 AM

Thank you for the replies! I haven't tried the Jumbo Grip/Mallet combo yet. I have tried putting with the claw and it helped, but I really only viewed it as a temporary fix, as the problem should be aleviated as soon as I take my hands out of the putting stroke. I think the Jumbo Grip/Mallet might be the ticket. Because I already manipulate the putterhead, would a center-shafted or facebalanced mallet be a better choice than an offset mallet?

#6 Maximilian

Maximilian

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106865
GolfWRX Likes : 455

Posted 17 April 2018 - 07:18 AM

You may find more or less offset sets up better for you, but I doubt one will reduce the twich more than the other. A heavier overall putter will mask the twitch to a certain degree though, as it takes more effort to manipulate it.

#7 cmporto10

cmporto10

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82770
  • Ebay ID:cmedeiros01-10
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 17 April 2018 - 11:49 PM

My problem with my stroke for as long as I can remember is being too handsy. Last week I was fit for an Edel torque balanced putter and wow! Aside from finding what head shape and lines allow you to aim properly, the fitter places a weight in the grip based on your stroke. For me, he put a 40g weight under my right hand. Instantly it took my hands out of the stroke!

#8 KaBoom21

KaBoom21

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13233
GolfWRX Likes : 200

Posted 18 April 2018 - 09:53 AM

My TM Ghost Stingray CS putter is impervious to twisting at impact. Ridiculously high MOI to me.

Definitely try the mallet route.

Posted Image

#9 Back9

Back9

Tour Winner

• 526 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 44146
GolfWRX Likes : 57

Posted 23 April 2018 - 05:59 AM

If you want to maximize the elimination of the hands from the stroke, consider armlock.  Very difficult to manipulate the head with your hands with the shaft locked against your leading forearm.  This would necessitate a big change in setup and stroke which also has some effect in changing the neural wiring that has lead to the yips.  Some people adapt quickly, others can never make the change, too drastic to adapt.

Relying on the big muscles rather than the hand muscles should minimize the effect of your tremor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors