Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Greatest slump in a long time

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 naval2006

naval2006

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 265866
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 269

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:04 AM

I've been through this slump for nearly 3 months.  Now I've got to the point when I stand in front of the ball and I don't know what's gonna happen.

I'm mainly a feel player but I've developed a sound swing through the years. I think it's mostly a question of confidence to begin with, but I don't know how to at least stop this to get my confidence back.  Plus I've gone out of sync and my swing is on the fast lane lately.  So if you have any tips to start with, I'll appreciate.  Thanks.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 MonteScheinblum

MonteScheinblum

Rebellion Golf

• Sponsors
  • 17,471 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94238
GolfWRX Likes : 10059

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:44 AM

Honestly, unless your name is Tiger Woods and it’s before 2008, 3 months is nothing.  All players at all skill levels go through it.  The biggest mistake you can make I say to try and make drastic changes from what has made you successful.  Work on your setup and rhythm.

On a side note, it is nearly a 1-1 inverse correlation between skill level and body of work measured.

You ask a tour player how they’re doing, you get, “The last 12-18 months have been pretty good.”

You ask a plus/scratch...”I’m doing well this year.”

Low handicapper, “This season has been pretty good.”

Mid...”The last few weeks have been up and down.”

High...”My last round was terrible.”

Hack...”I just shanked my last shot.”

#3 crucible

crucible

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8333
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:51 AM

View Postnaval2006, on 16 April 2018 - 10:04 AM, said:

I've been through this slump for nearly 3 months.  Now I've got to the point when I stand in front of the ball and I don't know what's gonna happen.

I'm mainly a feel player but I've developed a sound swing through the years. I think it's mostly a question of confidence to begin with, but I don't know how to at least stop this to get my confidence back.  Plus I've gone out of sync and my swing is on the fast lane lately.  So if you have any tips to start with, I'll appreciate.  Thanks.

My guess is that only you are putting this pressure on yourself. I doubt others care what you shoot. When I'm playing poorly I wish I could play like someone else. When I'm playing well I only want to be myself. If you want confidence there's no magic formula. Go fight back. Work on your game and earn it. Too many times I or others try to reinvent the wheel when it comes to golf. A 3-month slump isn't so bad, try 3 years now that's a slump.

#4 juststeve

juststeve

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,167 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 154
GolfWRX Likes : 1467

Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:10 PM

We all run into rough patches but I'm glad my teacher gave me some simple advice about how to use the club to hit good shots.  Whenever I start hitting the ball poorly I can know for a certainty that its because I.m not doing one of a very limited number of things I was taught.  Knowing that makes getting back on track a relatively short process.

Ask yourself, what was I doing with the club when I was hitting the ball well that I am no longer doing?  Get back to that thing and the problem is solved.

Steve

Edited by juststeve, 16 April 2018 - 03:10 PM.

#5 naval2006

naval2006

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 265866
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 269

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:52 PM

Thank you for your comments. Like you said I must be putting some pressure to get back. I’m not thinking about swing changes but definitely I have to check set up and rhythm because i can feel the tension in my swing and I’m worried about it when I’m playing and I can’t get to focus on the target.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors