Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Dramatically improving, yet scores are staying the same

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 texas_golfer

texas_golfer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 429818
  • Handicap:7.9
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:13 AM

I feel like over the last couple years (especially the last 6+ months), i have improved quite a bit.  I am hitting the ball better than I ever have in my life.  I hit a nice draw 99.9% of my shots.  my miss is usually drawing it too much.  I rarely ever chunk or top a ball.  I dont hit it OB much.  I usually have at least 1-2 drives a round that go close to 300 yards, but around 280ish is average.  I can make my wedges back up or stop on a dime. I usually hit somewhere around 50% of fairways and just under 50% of GIR (if anything this is probably what i need to work on the most)  blah blah...  not here to brag, so please dont take it that way.  I am basically just saying, I am doing everything I have ever wanted or thought would need to be done to be a good golfer.... EXCEPT.... my scores arent improving... at all.

i am currently an 8.5 GHIN handicap and have been stuck here for at least a year.  I shoot anywhere from 81 to 85 almost every given round.  Doesnt matter what the conditions are, doesnt matter anything... i step up on the #18 tee box, and I am playing for a low 80s round.  something always seems to happen. i go on a little bogey train for a while, or i have a couple bad holes and get a couple doubles, or i miss some stupid short putts... something always happens.

not sure if i am looking for advice or just ranting.... but how the heck can i get into the 70s?   i just want to be as consistent in the 76-80 range... i feel like i have the game to do it, i just always make those few mental mistakes a round or make just a couple bad swings that cause the double here and there. but 90% of a round i am on track for a 70s round but theres just those couple things that prevent it.  ugh i hate golf.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 bladehunter

bladehunter

I have a great profile! Especially from the side !

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,854 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291449
  • Handicap:NONE
GolfWRX Likes : 17383

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:19 AM

welcome...  lol  it doesnt get easier...  when you shoot 72-73 most days you will feel the same and want 68... and on and on...
Callaway Rogue 9.8 Tour issue Rogue Black 80TX  playing at 43 1/4
17 M1 14.5  Tour issue Graphite Design   AD DI 8X
  **Testing **  Tour Issue TM GAPR 2 iron w/ Graphite Design ADDI 105X
Miura LE 1957 Small blade   3-pw  Modus 130X
Vokey Tour issue raw 54  60 M  Modus 130S
TM Red TI Slant neck Spider ..34"  full sight line

#3 Sean2

Sean2

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 30,077 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 17492

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:24 AM

It seems like in golf we reach a certain plateau and then it takes a while to move up to the next one, but when we do it is a fairly substantial jump. Last year my HI dropped 5 points and I broke par for the first time, also shooting a lot of scores in the 70s, when the season before those were rare. Yes, I still shoot in the 80s, but hey it's golf.

One thing you can do that isn't swing related is look at how you manage your way around the golf course. Do you take unnecessary risks?

How is your short game? I am always working on mine. The nice thing about developing a good short game is you don't have to be either young, or athletic to develop one.

Good luck! I was where you are now a couple of seasons ago, and yes it is frustrating, but stick with it and you will see some positive results.
Callaway Rogue
Callaway GBB Epic 16º/20º/24º
Callaway Steelhead XR 25º
Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW
Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54º/58º
Callaway "O" Works #7

#4 Golfbeat

Golfbeat

Swing Lessee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 251408
  • Handicap:3.9
GolfWRX Likes : 777

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:26 AM

I think somebody said a while ago in this Forum: "You must not be afraid to make a low score". Twice, I was 3 under for the round and bogeyed 17 and 18. It is mental. Like the famous Post Birdie FU.
Attention-Deficit Hypergolfactivity Disorder

#5 SNIPERBBB

SNIPERBBB

Hit Ball Hard

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 79142
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 455

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:37 AM

Sounds like your scrambling sucks. At 8/18 GIRs, 50% scrambling has you breaking 80 assuming no 3 putts.

2016 M1 9.5 tuned to 7.5
TM r15 3 wood
Adams Idea Pro 2h/4h
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

#6 Tag56

Tag56

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 267736
  • Handicap:0.2
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:46 AM

If you strike it well and keep in it play, its most likely a combination of short game and mental game. I have had many 3-5 under par rounds completely wrecked on the last 2 or 3 holes. Some of my lowest rounds have come when I have my 2 year old with me running around and jumping in the "sandboxes" or when I was playing with a large group of friends and wasn't even really paying attention to my score.
Driver: Callaway GBB Epic SZ 9* Aldila Rogue I/O 60X
3-wood: Taylormade 2016 M2 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 70X
2-hybrid: Titleist 913H 17* set to 18.75. Project x 6.5.
Irons: Titleist 718 T-MB 4, 718  MB 5-pw. C-taper 125
Wedges: Titleist SM7 50*, 56*, and 60*. KBS tour 120
Putter:  Scotty Cameron California Monterey.
Ball: Taylormade TP5X.

#7 GMR

GMR

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 175756
GolfWRX Likes : 404

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:49 AM

I just recently was in your shoes and have been fortunate enough to make that jump. If you have the length and don't throw shots away with huge misses, it really ALL boils down to short game and putting. Now that my short game is finally decent I regret not putting all my work into short game earlier. A good pitch and putt solves a LOT of mistakes up to that point. Go spend the next month at the short game area and if your long game is as good as you think it is you'll come back out shooting 74 not 79.

#8 texas_golfer

texas_golfer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:54 AM

i agree, if i had to be honest and access my own game. I would say hitting more GIR and being able to get up and down on those holes I do miss are my biggest weakness.  I hit good approach shots and a good iron player in general.  But I often miss the green.  Im usually always hole high, but if i do miss the green, i am just off 10-20 yards.  either i pushed it off right or over drew it, or i hit a green side bunker, hill or something that bounced it off to the side, blah blah.  but i am usually somewhere near the green.  not like i am dribbling it down the fairway or something.  but when I am around the green and trying to get up and down... i probably dont succeed as often as i would like.

#9 torbill

torbill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107208
GolfWRX Likes : 101

Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:55 AM

What is your average number of fairways hit per round?

#10 wmblake2000

wmblake2000

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,910 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33930
GolfWRX Likes : 2959

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:05 AM

I played real easy, short courses when I made my last break just to get used to the idea of scoring lower. It did seem to help

Callaway Epic 10.5 TPT LKP 45.5"
Callaway Epic Hybrid 2h
Callway xhot 3 h
RomaRo Pro 3-W Modus 105 R
Fourteen mt28v3 50, 54
Cameron Futura 5W

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 Z1ggy16

Z1ggy16

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,454 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 430110
GolfWRX Likes : 1698

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:13 AM

It's probably mostly all short game woes, because that's what it is for me. I had numerous times this weekend where I hit driver to the fairway, had a little wedge in, hit the green, then 3 putt. Or, I'd hit just off the fairway, miss the green by 20 feet, make a meh chip... then 2/3 putt.

Majority of your lost strokes are probably coming from mistakes inside of 30-40 yards from the flag. I know for me, it's costing me about 10-15 strokes per ROUND. Crazy.
WITB
DR - '16 M2 Speeder Evo II 661 (Srixon Z785 on order)
3W - Rogue SZ Evenflow Blue 75 (F8 2kXV Blue 75 back up)
3h - JPX 850 Tensei Blue 80
Irons - P790 4-PW Modus 120
GW - Cobra Trusty 50/8 Modus Wedge 115
SW - Cobra Trusty 54/10 Modus Wedge 115 for firm turf/Taylormade Fe2O3 56/14 DG S200 for medium & soft
LW - Cobra Trusty 60/6 Modus Wedge 115
P - Custom Oil Soaked Xenon (Odyssey O Works Tank #7 backup)
Ball - Project (a) [Testing Q Star Tour's for WRX]
Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

#12 davep043

davep043

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,684 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 489076
  • Handicap:4.2
GolfWRX Likes : 1437

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:18 AM

View Posttexas_golfer, on 16 April 2018 - 08:13 AM, said:

I feel like over the last couple years (especially the last 6+ months), i have improved quite a bit.  I am hitting the ball better than I ever have in my life.  I hit a nice draw 99.9% of my shots.  my miss is usually drawing it too much.  I rarely ever chunk or top a ball.  I dont hit it OB much.  I usually have at least 1-2 drives a round that go close to 300 yards, but around 280ish is average.  I can make my wedges back up or stop on a dime. I usually hit somewhere around 50% of fairways and just under 50% of GIR (if anything this is probably what i need to work on the most)  blah blah...  not here to brag, so please dont take it that way.  I am basically just saying, I am doing everything I have ever wanted or thought would need to be done to be a good golfer.... EXCEPT.... my scores arent improving... at all.
I suggest you re-assess your statistics, and compare them to what you say about your ball striking.  If you're truly hitting a tiny draw 99.9% of the time, you should be hitting more fairways and greens.  Perhaps your misses are a little wilder than you think they are.  Anyway, if you're really hitting half your fairways, and almost half your greens, you should expect to average something in the high 70s, according to this article:
http://www.golfwrx.c...on-and-scoring/
High 70s should equate to a handicap on the order of 5 (2 or 3 strokes under your average).  Again, if your stats are accurate, it would seem that your short game and putting need work.  Decrease 3-putts by working on distance control from 30 feet and over, working on holing more within about 6 feet.  Practicing 8 to 20 footers shouldn't matter, you'll never make a lot of those, and you should very rarely 3-putt.  Work on short game stuff, learn a couple of reliable chip and pitch techniques.  Work on shot selection, aim for the middle of almost every green, both side-to-side and front-to-back.  A putt is almost always better than a chip.  Decrease risk-taking in short game, just hit the damn green.  A long putt is better than a second chip.
And keep working on full swing shots.  Hitting more greens, and closer to the pin, can only help.

#13 bladehunter

bladehunter

• Advanced Members
  • 18,854 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:54 AM

I've come to realize that there is no answer.  You fix one thing and you find there's still leaks in the boat.  He only way to stop the leaks is to  figure out what the mental issue is.  I wish I had that answer for you.  But it isn't stats. It isn't " dont 3 putt ".  And it isn't " how many fairways do you average ".  Playing your best round after 12-13 holes then finishing right back where you always do isn't a strategy or club or course management issue.  It's a mental block.  I have it too. But it isn't finishing. It's usually starting.  I have to get my double bogey out of the way before I can play well.  

I played in a small tournament Saturday. Shot 50 (yes 50) on the front and shot even 36 on the back and was 3 under for the back at one time ... lol. On a course I've shot 65 on. Wasnt spraying the ball on the front. Wasnt really feeling out of sync.  Just could not get a break off the tee and when I did get off the tee I hit every approach long.  Which is very odd.  Inexplicable really.  

I broke a 27 round double bogey streak last month.  And immediately started another. I'm 12 In on this one.  

Blank if i know.

Edited by bladehunter, 16 April 2018 - 11:10 AM.

#14 gatorMD

gatorMD

Hacker-in-Chief

• 2,500 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 487980
  • Handicap:2.5
GolfWRX Likes : 1645

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:04 AM

i am currently an 8.5 GHIN handicap and have been stuck here for at least a year.  I shoot anywhere from 81 to 85 almost every given round.  Doesnt matter what the conditions are, doesnt matter anything... i step up on the #18 tee box, and I am playing for a low 80s round.  something always seems to happen. i go on a little bogey train for a while, or i have a couple bad holes and get a couple doubles, or i miss some stupid short putts... something always happens.

not sure if i am looking for advice or just ranting.... but how the heck can i get into the 70s?   i just want to be as consistent in the 76-80 range... i feel like i have the game to do it, i just always make those few mental mistakes a round or make just a couple bad swings that cause the double here and there. but 90% of a round i am on track for a 70s round but theres just those couple things that prevent it.  ugh i hate golf.

how many birdies per round?

how many legitimate birdie opportunities per round?  aka a makeable birdie put or chip?

IMO if ur game is otherwise decent those are the two stats that push a handicap from 8 to 10 to 0 to +5

Edited by gatorMD, 16 April 2018 - 11:05 AM.

Driver: TM M2 Tour 9.5 AD MT 6TX
3W: TM M2 Tour 15 AD MT 7X
Utility: Srixon Z U65 3/20 Blueboard X
Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 4-PW Tour V X
Wedges: SM6 50F and 54S DG100; SM5 60K DGS400
Putter: Odyssey White Hot RX Rossie Putter
Ball: Titleist AVX
Grips: Grip Master Signature
Glove: Titleist Perma Soft

#15 bladehunter

bladehunter

• Advanced Members
  • 18,854 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:13 AM

View PostgatorMD, on 16 April 2018 - 11:04 AM, said:

how many legitimate birdie opportunities per round?  aka a makeable birdie put or chip?

IMO if ur game is otherwise decent those are the two stats that push a handicap from 8 to 10 to 0 to +5

id agree with that sentiment ..although i dont know the formula.....  i average 4.8  ( i track it ) birdies a round...and by far dont hit all of my makable looks...  and have never got my handicap below 0.8....  Think Phil ... ill usually match every birdie with same number bogeys .... round will hover around even unless i make a double or "other"....  never ever have a "16 pars 1 birdie 1 bogey " round...

#16 texas_golfer

texas_golfer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:25 AM

I feel like over the last 6 months or so since my full swing has kinda come together…. I have just now realized how many strokes I really do lose by short game.  I think I have always thought/imagined that it took hitting all your full swing shots long and straight to score well.  I used to always have fat and thin shots and those stick in your mind.  So you end up shooting a bad score and blame it on those shots.  But now that I rarely have those anymore and for the most part, hit the ball pretty straight and in play every time, I am realizing that really my full swing isn’t what is costing me strokes.  Of course, you can always hit the ball a little straighter and hit more greens and give yourself more 2 putt chances… but nowadays, what sticks out in my mind is when I am just off the green somewhere, and I chip up and have to 2 putt from there.  Or sometimes even chip twice…. Or I hit a beast of a drive and im a wedge in and still miss the GIR…. Those are the things that cost me strokes now.  I am just not 100% sure how you practice those kind of things without playing in a round.  Its hard to go to the driving range and practice hitting into a green from 90 yards.  I could and should and will go to the chipping green more often now and practice trying to get up and down from all around…  hopefully more nice weather will result in more practice time for my short game and result in better scores.  I feel like all around I am a better played in almost every area than I have been in my entire life, yet my scores are the same as they have been for nearly 2 years.

to answer the previous questions.... id say i probably get about 1 birdie a round on average.  some rounds none, some rounds 2-3.  rarely ever more than 3.  i did have 4 birdies out of 5 holes once and thought I was Tiger Woods i was so excited with myself that day.  on a typical day (when its not 232423 mph wind here in North Texas in the spring), i usually hit 7-9 greens, so technically i have 7-9 birdie putts a round.  but id say only a few of those are inside 6-8 feet (what i can realistically hope to make)

#17 davep043

davep043

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,684 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 489076
  • Handicap:4.2
GolfWRX Likes : 1437

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:40 AM

View Posttexas_golfer, on 16 April 2018 - 11:25 AM, said:

I think I have always thought/imagined that it took hitting all your full swing shots long and straight to score well.
… but nowadays, what sticks out in my mind is when I am just off the green somewhere, and I chip up and have to 2 putt from there.  Or sometimes even chip twice…. Or I hit a beast of a drive and im a wedge in and still miss the GIR…. Those are the things that cost me strokes now.  I am just not 100% sure how you practice those kind of things without playing in a round.  Its hard to go to the driving range and practice hitting into a green from 90 yards.
To the first bit, you DO need to have a solid full-swing game to regularly have a chance to score well.  But that's not a guarantee, you need more.
I don't see any problem in practicing 90 yard wedges at a range, just pick a target and hit it.  Use a laser to pick a patch of grass.  And practice to 70 yards, and 50 yards.  Of course the range balls may not behave exactly the same as top-level golf balls, but you can still learn partial swings that way.
Chipping and putting can be practiced in a shorter time than full swings.  15 minutes of each, a couple of times a week can make a big difference.  I'm no instructor, but you can get some drills or games to use in your practice to make it more "life-like" or effective.  Putt down a flat steel yardstick to learn to hit it consistently on line.  Do a ladder drill to improve distance control.  Play 9 holes of "up and down" and see how you score.  Improve your weakest skills, but still work some to maintain your strengths.

#18 finleysg

finleysg

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 417906
  • Handicap:2.1
GolfWRX Likes : 810

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:54 AM

Another way to look at measuring improvement is to compare your scores over time: average, low, differential, and so on. Radical, I know. By that measurement, perhaps you haven't improved at all.

Don't mean to be harsh, but really, what good is a swing change or ball-flight change if you're not making lower scores?
D: Callaway XR Pro - Ozik Red Tie
3W: Exotics E8 Beta - Aldila Rogue 110
3 - Ping Crossover
4H - Mizuno CLK - Speeder
Wrenches: Ping S55 - P thru 4 - Project X Rifle 6.0
Wedges: Ping Gorge 52, Ping Glide 58
Putter: OWorks 2-ball

Brand Loyalty: None

#19 gatorMD

gatorMD

Hacker-in-Chief

• 2,500 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:13 PM

View Posttexas_golfer, on 16 April 2018 - 11:25 AM, said:

to answer the previous questions.... id say i probably get about 1 birdie a round on average.  some rounds none, some rounds 2-3.  rarely ever more than 3.  i did have 4 birdies out of 5 holes once and thought I was Tiger Woods i was so excited with myself that day.  on a typical day (when its not 232423 mph wind here in North Texas in the spring), i usually hit 7-9 greens, so technically i have 7-9 birdie putts a round.  but id say only a few of those are inside 6-8 feet (what i can realistically hope to make)

I would focus ur energy on creating and converting more birdie opportunities.  To get to the next level, aka sub -5 handicap, u have to start converting more of those opportunities and giving yourself more of them.  Golf is hard and bogies/bad shots will happen, so IMO, to play at a high level u have to learn to make birdies/eagles/etc.  This also helps to take the pressure off/thinking you need to play perfect golf.  Look at most tour pro rounds in the 60s, they have bogies and crap swing during those rounds, but they make birdies/eagles.  

My .02 cents.

#20 gatorMD

gatorMD

Hacker-in-Chief

• 2,500 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:16 PM

View Postbladehunter, on 16 April 2018 - 11:13 AM, said:

id agree with that sentiment ..although i dont know the formula.....  i average 4.8  ( i track it ) birdies a round...and by far dont hit all of my makable looks...  and have never got my handicap below 0.8....  Think Phil ... ill usually match every birdie with same number bogeys .... round will hover around even unless i make a double or "other"....  never ever have a "16 pars 1 birdie 1 bogey " round...

Nice average.  And for OP once u get to scratch and 3-5 birdies per round to get to +3 or better is figuring out how to make those birdies, throw in maybe an eagle and limit the bogies to 1-2 per round and/or play a really high sloped course all the time, lol.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 GMR

GMR

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 03:52 AM

Once you get your short game in order you will realise just how indispensable it is.  I used to have days where I'd go around the course and feel like I was putting on a stripe show--really striking the ball great.  Hit most fairways, 13 or 14 greens, and the game would feel pretty easy.  Then at the end of the day I'd walk in with an 82 or something.  Problem was I'd be three-putting AT LEAST 2-3 times per round, and every time I missed a green I'd be making bogey.  Add to that maybe the one or two big misses off the tee requiring a punchout followed by a approach and a three-putt for double and the 1 or 2 birdies per round I was making just weren't enough to keep me in the 70s.

Recently though I've started having rounds that feel very foreign to me--rounds that feel like absolute crap, where I just can't get anything going off the tee.  Keep in in play but that's about it.  Approaches are fineish, but proximity to the hole not good enough to give me good birdie looks.  Just feels terrible all around.  Then I add up my score and it's something like 76.  Difference of course being I'm not three-putting, I'm leaving my misses in spots that are relatively easy up and downs--sometimes even purposefully playing to those spots when I find myself in tree or bunker trouble--and I'm still finding a way to convert a birdie or two over the course of the round due to my better putting.

What I've realised is that with a decent short game par really isn't that hard of a score to make.  To birdie a par 4 requires three really good shots generally, but to make par you only really need to make no huge mistakes and have 1 good shot (maybe an approach onto the green, maybe a good putt).  Thinking about it that way really takes the pressure off and changes how you think about things.  When I miss big into the trees now I'm not panicking and trying not to make double, I'm thinking "I've hit one bad shot, but if 1 of my next 3 shots is a good one I will make par here."  I either need to pull off the punch-cut and run it up on to the fringe OR I need to wedge it close OR I need to sink a 12-footer...don't have to do them all and I feel pretty good about my odds of pulling off one of the three.  It's really just a different game than I was playing 6 months ago.

#22 Itsjustagame

Itsjustagame

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 243277
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 715

Posted 17 April 2018 - 05:15 AM

How many rounds are you playing in a week/month?
Hard to stay consistent without playing 2-3 times a week in my experience.
BBA 815 10.5 Rogue Max
XR 5 wood
XR 3/4/5 Hybrid
Steelhead XR Pro 6-GW UST Mamiya Recoil 95/110
Mack Daddy 2 50,54,58
Taylor Made 2 Ball Fang Slant

#23 Petunia Sprinkle

Petunia Sprinkle

Future King of France

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,407 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 397380
GolfWRX Likes : 4581

Posted 17 April 2018 - 08:38 AM

If you're missing half the fairways and half the greens, you're impression that you've 'dramatically improved' is based on either you were hitting even less of both, before, or you think your ballflight is much prettier, thereby deserving better scores. Missing half the greens means a lot of pressure on your short game, which you didn't mention. Not trying to be a jerk, but 'pretty' doesn't equal low.
I get beat all the time by a friend of mine because he plays like Sun Tzu and I play like Salvador Dali.

#24 GMR

GMR

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 08:58 AM

View PostPetunia Sprinkle, on 17 April 2018 - 08:38 AM, said:

If you're missing half the fairways and half the greens, you're impression that you've 'dramatically improved' is based on either you were hitting even less of both, before, or you think your ballflight is much prettier, thereby deserving better scores. Missing half the greens means a lot of pressure on your short game, which you didn't mention. Not trying to be a jerk, but 'pretty' doesn't equal low.
I get beat all the time by a friend of mine because he plays like Sun Tzu and I play like Salvador Dali.
Posted Image

Have to disagree with you here.  According to the above chart, if you take the group of golfers with a handicap between 0 and 5 collectively they are averaging 8 greens in regulation per round. Which means that if the OP gets the rest of his game in order (i.e. no penalty strokes or getting in absolute jail off the tee, and a solid short game), then if he is truly averaging 9 GIRs his ball-striking taken alone is good enough to get him to the low single digits of handicap.  If you can hit 9 GIRs consistently and never break 80 then your short game sucks.  I'm not saying that to sound harsh, because I was in the same boat 6 months ago.  But it's true.

#25 CallawayLefty

CallawayLefty

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95918
GolfWRX Likes : 1079

Posted 17 April 2018 - 09:04 AM

View PostgatorMD, on 16 April 2018 - 04:16 PM, said:

View Postbladehunter, on 16 April 2018 - 11:13 AM, said:

Nice average.  And for OP once u get to scratch and 3-5 birdies per round to get to +3 or better is figuring out how to make those birdies, throw in maybe an eagle and limit the bogies to 1-2 per round and/or play a really high sloped course all the time, lol.

To the OP - if your stats are right, your short game is terrible.  Either go get real stats if they're not real, or fix your short game.  

To the guy above - 4.8 birdies per round and 0.8?????????????????????????????  Does not compute.  You need your own thread on how to fix your problems!!!!

#26 RichieHunt

RichieHunt

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,251 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 209355
GolfWRX Likes : 2626

Posted 17 April 2018 - 09:08 AM

You probably need some help with strategy and cleaning up some small errors like unnecessarily short-siding yourself and missing some short putts.

RH

#27 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

Legend

• 11,351 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99408
GolfWRX Likes : 7534

Posted 17 April 2018 - 09:14 AM

It sounds a bit to my like maybe you're playing your entire round focused on the final score. Obviously the ideal is limiting your focus to only the shot you're playing.

But that's easier said than done. When I was struggling to break 80 on a regular basis, I read a tip in Golf Digest (I know, it's almost taboo to admit that GD actually had something good in it!).  There idea was to break your round up into smaller groups, three hole groups. Try to keep you 3 hole score to 13 for each.  If you can average 13 for each three, you're in at 78.  Its just kind of a way to trick your mind and keep it from obsessing on that one final number at the end.
Titleist 910 8.5
Titleist 910 15*
Titleist 910H 17*
2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
SC GoLo
Vokey SM5 52,58,62

#28 Petunia Sprinkle

Petunia Sprinkle

Future King of France

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,407 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 397380
GolfWRX Likes : 4581

Posted 17 April 2018 - 09:38 AM

View PostGMR, on 17 April 2018 - 08:58 AM, said:

View PostPetunia Sprinkle, on 17 April 2018 - 08:38 AM, said:

Posted Image

Have to disagree with you here.  According to the above chart, if you take the group of golfers with a handicap between 0 and 5 collectively they are averaging 8 greens in regulation per round. Which means that if the OP gets the rest of his game in order (i.e. no penalty strokes or getting in absolute jail off the tee, and a solid short game), then if he is truly averaging 9 GIRs his ball-striking taken alone is good enough to get him to the low single digits of handicap.  If you can hit 9 GIRs consistently and never break 80 then your short game sucks.  I'm not saying that to sound harsh, because I was in the same boat 6 months ago.  But it's true.

Youíre not really disagreeing with me. I did say he hadnít mentioned his short game at all. My point was, to be clear, is that he seems to think he deserves better scores based on his ballstriking (which still has him missing half the greens). So, the implication is, yeah, his short game probably sucks. Near the green in two, in the hole in three or four more is, without a doubt, a short game issue.

#29 KingMike

KingMike

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73160
GolfWRX Likes : 97

Posted 17 April 2018 - 09:42 AM

View PostItsjustagame, on 17 April 2018 - 05:15 AM, said:

How many rounds are you playing in a week/month?
Hard to stay consistent without playing 2-3 times a week in my experience.

And 5-7 days/wk. will open your eyes, if you're not playing that frequently already. Makes a BIG difference
TM R11 8.5 Fuji Blur 60s
TM 320i 9.5 Prolite 35s
Callaway XR hybrid 3s, 5r
Tommy Armour V25's s300 4-P
Vokey 52, Mizuno JPX 56
Cleveland Classic 5.5 cs

#30 vbb

vbb

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 265210
GolfWRX Likes : 923

Posted 17 April 2018 - 02:09 PM

OP, I feel you.  I've been playing golf for going on 16 years (man, time flies) and seriously/regularly for around the last 11.  About 2.5-3 years ago I made a pretty big swing and grip change, plus got fit for iron shafts, and after the first few months of getting used to it, I noticed a HUGE improvement in the shots I was able to hit.  I gained 2 clubs of distance with my irons and my numbers were better all across the board with respect to distance, height, and spin.  I could hit some "wow" shots that I never could hit before and felt much better about my game as a whole.  That first summer I had some of my best ever rounds, but my average scores didn't seem to improve all that much.  Flash forward 2+ years later, and I swear my scoring is the same if not worse than what it was 5 years ago before all the changes.

I've attributed most of this to my mental game.  I probably try shots that I wouldn't have ever tried before and am not playing nearly as smart.  When before I knew I couldn't carry that hazard or curve it around that corner, now I think I can.  I make more birdies than I ever use to make per round, but I probably also make more doubles and triples as well.  Plus I'm pretty sure my putting has gotten worse.

Yep, I think it is just my mental game.  Maybe it's the same for you.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors