Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Can You Imagine Tiger Woods As A Callaway Player?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 EmperorPenguin

EmperorPenguin

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 217859
GolfWRX Likes : 423

Posted 16 April 2018 - 05:03 AM

Looking through various YouTube videos, I was curious about this link.  This was filmed about a week before he turned pro, during the US Amateur at Pumpkin Ridge.  I am no die-hard Tiget fanatic, but I do remember most everything that happened in his career except this one: I remember Phil Knight courting Tiger before he turned pro, but I did not know until today that Ely Callaway was also trying to get Tiger to sign with him.

https://www.youtube....h?v=rchBvMpvR1Y

At 1:03 Ely Callaway said, "We're gonna be honored and delighted, and I'll bet you that we'll be smart enough to find a way to compensate him in a nice way."  Really?

Callaway Golf was already huge back in 1996 because Big Bertha irons were already released and, along with Big Bertha metalwoods, they were indeed revolutionary and perhaps the hottest equipment company at the time, though I remember specifically that they did not make forged blades then; Mizuno was the leader, and a mix of Mizuno irons were in Tiger's bag.  I remember exactly what Woods used then (King Cobra driver, TM Tour Spoon 3W, Mizuno MP-29 and -14 irons, Cleveland wedges and the classic Scotty Cameron Newport putter), and he had no Callaway equipment at the time, though I do remember seeing later pictures of his golf swing using a Big Bertha driver.  There are even pictures of him in his early teens using Ping Eye2's.  He tinkered with all the equipment out there, no doubt.

What I am very curious about is why Callaway failed to sign him.  Nike at the time was only an apparel company, and I recall that his first equipment contract was with Titleist (good choice), though not immediately in his first year as a pro.  However, Callaway was huge back in the mid- to late-90's, and I can only guess that their bread and butter was game-improvement irons.  Had Callaway then the Endo forgings they offer today, they would have had a better chance to sign him.   Had they signed him can you imagine the even greater impact he would have had on the game?  This is all speculation, but I am very curious as to the real reason why they failed to sign him.  Does anyone know?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 bladehunter

bladehunter

I have a great profile! Especially from the side !

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,921 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291449
  • Handicap:NONE
GolfWRX Likes : 14405

Posted 16 April 2018 - 05:45 AM

Iím sure it was lack of equipment that he liked.  Can you imagine tiger playing a set of big Bertha irons ?  I canít.   And before anyone says ď eye 2 eye 2 ď!   No.  Huuuge difference between the eye2 and the big Bertha.  Think shovel vs backhoe.

Edited by bladehunter, 16 April 2018 - 05:45 AM.

17 M1 8.7  Tour Issue Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX
17 M1 14.5  Tour issue Graphite Design   AD DI 8X
Titleist 816H2 21 Graphite Design AD DI 105X
Miura 1957 Small Blades 4-9 Modus 130X
Vokey  sm7 46f sm6  50f  54M  300 series 59  Modus 125X
009 GSS 1.5  , Beached, tungsten sole weights, vertical stamp face

#3 dlygrisse

dlygrisse

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 11,474 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16702
GolfWRX Likes : 5696

Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:49 AM

Most people don’t remember when he signed with a Titleist they didn’t offer a blade. When Tiger got the T stamps in his bag everyone freaked out and wanted a set. This is when all the rumors started about “Mizunos with Titleist stamps” and Miuras made for Titleist.

The Miura rumor may be true, but of course Titleist soon got back to selling forged blades, instead of just DCI’s. Vokey took off and so did Cameron.
Callaway GBB
Callaway V Series 3w, HW
Callaway X Hot 9w
Ping G 4-p
Vokey 52, 58 M grind
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Ping Hoofer
ECCO

#4 QuigleyDU

QuigleyDU

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,752 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62095
  • Ebay ID:reederc2
GolfWRX Likes : 1039

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:10 AM

View Postdlygrisse, on 16 April 2018 - 06:49 AM, said:

Most people don’t remember when he signed with a Titleist they didn’t offer a blade. When Tiger got the T stamps in his bag everyone freaked out and wanted a set. This is when all the rumors started about “Mizunos with Titleist stamps” and Miuras made for Titleist.

The Miura rumor may be true, but of course Titleist soon got back to selling forged blades, instead of just DCI’s. Vokey took off and so did Cameron.

they may not have had a public offering of a blade, but many Titleist tour players had blades at the time.
driver: SRIXON Z745
fairway: NIKE VAPOR 13*
3-4 IRON: MIZZY MP H5 GD AMT X100.
5-PW IRONS: MP5 DG AMT X100
WEDGES; CLEVELAND rtx 3.0 RAW
PUTTER; PING SIGMA G SHEA H
BALL; various, ask me that day.

#5 EmperorPenguin

EmperorPenguin

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:24 AM

What I remember was that in 1996 Titleist was selling DCI gold, DCI black, and DCI-B irons, and for one year (was in 1996?) they had a new DCI black with no offset that the next year they stamped those irons heads with 962, which are, in my opinion, one of the best iron sets ever made.

I recall that when Tiger had the Titleist bag, he was still playing his mixed bag.  I do remember specifically that when he switched to the Buick bag he was playing the 975D, TM Tour Spoon (later PT15), 681, Vokey wedges and his custom Scotty putter.  That was when he played his best golf.

The only blades Callaway offered back in the mid-90's, I remember, were the cast Bobby Jones scotch blades, which nobody liked.  Those were junk.  Still, I figured that had Ely offered enough money he would play Big Bertha irons despite how hideous they looked at address.

Edited by EmperorPenguin, 16 April 2018 - 09:32 AM.

#6 EmperorPenguin

EmperorPenguin

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:27 AM

View PostQuigleyDU, on 16 April 2018 - 07:10 AM, said:

they may not have had a public offering of a blade, but many Titleist tour players had blades at the time.

The only blades I remember were the Tour Model blades from '91-'96, which by the way I own a set.  They are gorgeous blades and easier to hit than other blades due to the larger muscle.

#7 Vindog

Vindog

Don't order the schnitzel. They're using schnauzer!

• Advanced Members
  • 16,641 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131959
GolfWRX Likes : 6682

Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:30 AM

Sure I can.  Inferior equipment is inferior equipment.  :dntknw:
run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

#8 EmperorPenguin

EmperorPenguin

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:35 AM

Indeed, and Phil was absolutely right, and ultimately so, given they are no longer in that business and how truly inferior they were.

Edited by EmperorPenguin, 16 April 2018 - 09:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors