Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

The traditional PGA Tour model of professional golf is dead. Time for change...

121 replies to this topic

#61 nix

nix

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 460232
  • Handicap:20.4
GolfWRX Likes : 712

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:50 AM

It worked for tennis!

Spoiler alert: It did not.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#62 cxx

cxx

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,671 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 142023
GolfWRX Likes : 713

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:51 AM

You'd think this discussion was about the LPGA.

When tour stops start dropping of the schedule in more than drips, then there might be a problem.  I do think the PGA tour can be a bit obtuse in  dealing with sponsors and tournaments, especially when they can't make a deal.  It would be better if it were handled more quietly.

#63 JaNelson38

JaNelson38

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,345 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 199901
GolfWRX Likes : 1787

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:52 AM

View PostThe Pearl, on 16 April 2018 - 11:47 AM, said:

View PostJaNelson38, on 16 April 2018 - 11:39 AM, said:

View PostThe Pearl, on 16 April 2018 - 11:12 AM, said:

These companies aren't mom and pop operations that are sponsoring the tour.  They are the biggest corporations in the world. $10 million is nothing.  This week's sponsor Valero had $26 Billion in revenues last quarter.

These corporations dont look at money that way.  That's why they are as big and successful as they are.  $10+ million is still $10+ million.  These companies all still want a return on their investment.

A really big lure to get Valero to sign their most recent sponsorship deal was the schedule move to a week before the Masters starting in 2019.

I mean, its also not an accident that the company that sponsors the FedEx Up is gonna now get a WGC event.

These companies, no matter the size, are always looking to maximize their dollars.  In every way possible.

I am well aware why companies sponsor golf tournaments.  You are also missing the point. Until there is a mass exodus in sponsorship, the fact that one company doesn't see the value in sponsorship vs. another one that does is irrelevant.  As long as their are willing sponsors to fill the void than this is a non-issue.

The PGA Tour going to be losing tournaments next year for the first time in...a long time.  Its not a "non issue" anymore.

Companies are having to be lured to stay in PGA Tour sponsorship.  If the PGA Tour had told FedEx "no" when they demanded getting a WGC event in exchange for re-upping to sponsor the FedEx Cup, they would have pulled out of the PGA Tour altogether.

#64 Bad9

Bad9

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,579 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94897
  • Handicap:9.2
GolfWRX Likes : 1738

Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:12 PM

I’ve not been paying attention but what PGA Tour stops are disappearing after this year?
Ping G SFT 12°/Phenom 50 r flex
Adams TL2 5w/Xcaliber FW r flex
Adams TL2 7w/Xcaliber FW r flex
Maltby KE4 Tour 25°/Xcaliber HY r flex
Ping G 5-U/Xcaliber r flex
Maltby Tricept 54°/Xcaliber r flex
Maltby Tricept 58°/Xcaliber r flex
Mizuno Bettinardi C06

#65 bervin

bervin

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 463524
GolfWRX Likes : 371

Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:18 PM

View Postmjen43, on 15 April 2018 - 09:17 PM, said:

With the rapid deceleration of corporate investment in the PGA Tour, it appears that the business model of professional golf needs to change. Combined with growing interest in team related golf activities (NCAA, Ryder and Presidents cup, New Orleans tournament), it would appear that professional golf could be positioned to transform itself into a more traditional sports organization/association/league based model.

I think we are close to seeing a group of privately wealthy billionaires Vince McMahon establish a golf league, similar to the likes of the NBA, NHL, NFL. This league would pit teams of golfers against each other and allow them to compete, as teams, for a world championship. Players would be drafted to each team and provided with playing contracts, just like other sports leagues. Each team would be able to construct a championship caliber venue in every major city and host weekly tournaments.

This would solve many current issues with the game:

Fan perspective:
1. Every city would be able to see the worlds best play. Since players would be under contract and the team would play a regulated schedule, fans everywhere would have an opportunity to see the best perform.

2. No name anonymous tour drones would suddenly bring value to the competition. As it stands now, nobody has any personal investment in seeing these types play/compete. Make them apart of a team though, and add in some fan/location based tribalism, and all of a sudden you care how about how your 32 year old anonymous tour pro rookie is performing.

3. Cool jerseys. How awesome would it be to be able to buy, say, a Rickie Fowler #69 jersey from your local pro shop if you're a fan of the Bakers Bay Unplayable Lies and get beligerently drunk with it on at your local sports bar?

Player perspective:
1. Guaranteed contracts. No more stress about what place you finish. You get drafted, you perform, you get your fat contract and you coast for 4-5 years. Great deal.

2. No more associated costs. The team pays for travel, accomodations, caddy, coaches, etc.

3. Team comradery. Golf is one of the only sports where athletes miss out on some nice locker room talk with the boys.

I'm sure there are inumerable other benefits I have missed out on. Please feel free to submit your own.

Golf is really only an individual sport at the professional level. At the high school and college level it is a team sport. With the decline of the PGA Tour and golf as a whole, it is time for change. A shift to a more traditional league/owner/team model would provide the spark the game needs. Please add your thoughts.

Now it all makes more sense...

D: TaylorMade '17 M1 8* - HZRDUS Black 6.5 62g
FW: TaylorMade M3 3HL 15.5* - HZRDUS Black 6.5 75g
H: Ping Anser 20* - HZRDUS Black 6.5 85g
2i: TaylorMade M2 L.I.F.T. 16* - HZRDUS Black 6.5 85g
4i: TaylorMade '14 TP MC - DG X100 120
5i - PW: TaylorMade ' 14 TP MB - DG X100 120
GW: Callaway MD Forged Raw 52* - DG TI S400
LW: Callaway MD PM Grind 60* - KBS Tour V 120
P: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

#66 Darth Putter

Darth Putter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 466932
  • Handicap:10.8
GolfWRX Likes : 2155

Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:22 PM

If no one wants to pay $10,000,000, see if someone wants to pay $9,000,000. Keep going down in price until you get enough sponsors. If the number reaches zero, then we play for the tv rights cash (PGA Tour TV subscriptions?)  plus a percentage of the gate.
swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings

#67 Darth Putter

Darth Putter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 466932
  • Handicap:10.8
GolfWRX Likes : 2155

Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:27 PM

View PostJaNelson38, on 16 April 2018 - 11:52 AM, said:

These companies aren't mom and pop operations that are sponsoring the tour.  They are the biggest corporations in the world. $10 million is nothing.  This week's sponsor Valero had $26 Billion in revenues last quarter.

These corporations dont look at money that way.  That's why they are as big and successful as they are.  $10+ million is still $10+ million.  These companies all still want a return on their investment.

A really big lure to get Valero to sign their most recent sponsorship deal was the schedule move to a week before the Masters starting in 2019.

I mean, its also not an accident that the company that sponsors the FedEx Up is gonna now get a WGC event.

These companies, no matter the size, are always looking to maximize their dollars.  In every way possible.

I am well aware why companies sponsor golf tournaments.  You are also missing the point. Until there is a mass exodus in sponsorship, the fact that one company doesn't see the value in sponsorship vs. another one that does is irrelevant.  As long as their are willing sponsors to fill the void than this is a non-issue.

The PGA Tour going to be losing tournaments next year for the first time in...a long time.  Its not a "non issue" anymore.

Companies are having to be lured to stay in PGA Tour sponsorship.  If the PGA Tour had told FedEx "no" when they demanded getting a WGC event in exchange for re-upping to sponsor the FedEx Cup, they would have pulled out of the PGA Tour altogether.

It seems the Tour was (or still IS) actively trying to get rid of The Colonial. I think it has a slightly different setup that was grandfathered in and the Tour may not be getting as much money out of it as it wants.

In the WGC Bridgestone thread I looked back at the 1981 schedule. After the Akron event goes away, the only event past the PGA Championship that is still alive is this week's Texas Open.
swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings

#68 raynorfan1

raynorfan1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,505 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119065
GolfWRX Likes : 1271

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:08 PM

View PostDarth Putter, on 16 April 2018 - 03:27 PM, said:

It seems the Tour was (or still IS) actively trying to get rid of The Colonial. I think it has a slightly different setup that was grandfathered in and the Tour may not be getting as much money out of it as it wants.

In the WGC Bridgestone thread I looked back at the 1981 schedule. After the Akron event goes away, the only event past the PGA Championship that is still alive is this week's Texas Open.

The PGA has been slowly squeezing out independently owned/run events in favor of PGA owned events (often run at a PGA owned course).

#69 cdnglf

cdnglf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,983 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139540
GolfWRX Likes : 1351

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:15 PM

View Postraynorfan1, on 16 April 2018 - 04:08 PM, said:

The PGA has been slowly squeezing out independently owned/run events in favor of PGA owned events (often run at a PGA owned course).

I've read in the past that Memorial and Bay Hill are actually for-profit events run by Jack's and Arnie's companies respectively, but it's difficult to find much detail online. The Tour isn't squeezing those two out - a couple of years ago they elevated them above the others with a 3 year exemption.

The Canadian Open is run by the RCGA (or whatever it's called now) and given it's spot on the schedule, it's clear the Tour couldn't care less about it.

What other events are independently owned and run?

Edited by cdnglf, 16 April 2018 - 04:15 PM.

#70 BMC

BMC

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,984 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108173
  • Handicap:YES
GolfWRX Likes : 2772

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:27 PM

There are too many events.  A little purging might be a good thing.

Nike Vapor Pro driver
Cleveland Launcher 13*
PING Rapture 20* FW
Adams Pro Mini Hybrid 23*
Srixon i701 Tour irons 5-PW
Titleist SM6 54 SW
NIKE Method Mod 60 putter

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#71 challengers

challengers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 498290
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:27 PM

I like the OP’s ideas and can’t see why something like this might not happen in the future.

It might take on a slightly different form or have a 2 or 3 month window in a year, but to say this will never happen and can’t happen is a very narrow minded outlook, especially living in a time where change happens at a tremendous rate.

Nothing stays the same forever much less in sport. Fans evolve, sports evolve, business models evolve.

Some real insecure feckers on this forum to attack a poster who thinks that a sport might evolve, meanwhile we are taking vacations to space, and cloning animals, people talk about intercourse with their pets on youtube,  Trump is president of the USA, there are ‘IPOs’ for ‘banacoins’, golfers are hitting 400 yard drives, etc etc etc. But a team competition in golf? “You must be an idiot to think that will ever happen”😄😄.

#72 raynorfan1

raynorfan1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,505 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 05:11 PM

View Postcdnglf, on 16 April 2018 - 04:15 PM, said:

View Postraynorfan1, on 16 April 2018 - 04:08 PM, said:

I've read in the past that Memorial and Bay Hill are actually for-profit events run by Jack's and Arnie's companies respectively, but it's difficult to find much detail online. The Tour isn't squeezing those two out - a couple of years ago they elevated them above the others with a 3 year exemption.

The Canadian Open is run by the RCGA (or whatever it's called now) and given it's spot on the schedule, it's clear the Tour couldn't care less about it.

What other events are independently owned and run?

A bunch of them are still run by local clubs / charity organizations. The Memorial; Bay Hill; Colonial; BMW - maybe half a dozen more. They’re all non profit charities.

#73 hogans71

hogans71

Ain't no change in the weather, ain't no changes in me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,801 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45116
GolfWRX Likes : 4074

Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:30 PM

View Postcxx, on 16 April 2018 - 07:29 AM, said:

View Postchunksb1b, on 16 April 2018 - 06:34 AM, said:

Sounds a lot like Shotmakers?  Maybe forgo traditional scoring as well?  Who wouldn't want to see Team SB2K18 v Team Big Break in Bingo/Bango/Bongo?

My guess is we'll never see that again after this season.

How bad was that?

#74 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

Love classic LPs!

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 13,737 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
GolfWRX Likes : 9858

Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:39 PM

Function of Fed Ex Cup and creating the wrap around and compromises that were made getting rid of Q School and securing silly season event sponsorships.

Tour is still bargaining from strength, making gobs and gobs of money.

#75 lowheel

lowheel

LOWHEEL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,933 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 193008
GolfWRX Likes : 2872

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:36 PM

Posted Image

#76 ExTrumpet

ExTrumpet

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107010
GolfWRX Likes : 278

Posted 17 April 2018 - 09:23 AM

Seems to me that if the ROI for the sponsoring companies was good, there would be a bunch lining up to sponsor if one dropped out.

Maybe the purses have outgrown their market?
Ping Anser 8.5 Driver, Ahina 70S
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15, Aldila VS Proto 70S
Ping G20 17*
Ping K15 4 Hybrid, TT Lite S
Callaway Steelhead XR 5-AW, XP105 S
Ping Tour-S Rustique 54, 60
Ping B60 BeCu

#77 bscinstnct

bscinstnct

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,667 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77664
GolfWRX Likes : 15619

Posted 17 April 2018 - 09:46 AM

This could work.

Just need to change it up a bit. The teams are equipped with golf clubs and balls. But they don't play golf.

They set up on a big field, each team on an opposite side opposing each other.

And they launch golf balls at each other!

Kind of like

Posted Image

But with golf balls launched by 2 irons.

Ratings bonanza ; )

#78 mtg

mtg

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 440414
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 17 April 2018 - 10:27 AM

This got posted because there's no event in Seattle. Bro you're not missing a thing. The Tour lets too many people on the grounds. Getting around is a pain in the a**. You can barely see the golf. You have to wait 20 minutes to use a port o john. And there's a bunch of drunk idiots who don't know crap about golf EVERYWHERE. PGA tour events suck - the Ryder Cup and PGA are worse. The PGA of America will milk every dollar they can out of an event, to the detriment of the fan. The Masters is great, but I haven't been in years, I sense that its getting less fan friendly.

#79 NaBUru38

NaBUru38

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 406458
GolfWRX Likes : 111

Posted 17 April 2018 - 10:29 AM

I don't think that golf franchises are the future.

I think that the future is stadium golf.

#80 AceCatKY

AceCatKY

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 388354
  • Handicap:6.8
GolfWRX Likes : 611

Posted 17 April 2018 - 10:38 AM

Warm weather needs to get here fast. These threads are really painful. Imagining pro golf teams based in cities is hilarious though.

"Tonight on ESPN we have the Portland Putters led by Phil Mickelson vs. the Sea Island Shotmakers and their young duo of John Rahm and Sam Burns" lmao

910D3 9.5 Aldila RIP Phenom
585H
Ping Eye 2 U Groove 3-PW ZZ Lite
MIzuno MP 52-07 / Ping Eye 2 U Groove 56* SW / Oil Can Vokey SM 60*
T.P. Mills 18
ProV1

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#81 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 1293

Posted 17 April 2018 - 10:42 AM

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....

Surprised this thread hasn't closed yet.  This might be the dumbest thread I have ever read on WRX.

#82 Jerry36

Jerry36

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101270
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 17 April 2018 - 10:53 AM

View PostKenny Lee Puckett, on 16 April 2018 - 02:38 AM, said:

sorry, all I could envision is the asshats who yell 'mashed potatoes' would now also be wearing a Rickie Fowler jersey.

Best comment so far!
Titleist 913D3 8.5/ Motore F1 75x
Ping i15 15.5/ AxivCore Black 79x
Titleist 913 H.d 18/ R.I.P. Phenom 80x
Titleist AP2 710 3-9/ Ping CFS X
Ping Tour-S 47, 52, Gorge 58 SS/CFS X
TM Itsy Bitsy Ghost Spider

#83 glenk69

glenk69

G

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 222601
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 17 April 2018 - 11:09 AM

I think one thing that could make the tour more exciting from a TV perspective would be to have weekend play done with shotgun start.  That way the end of the rounds aren't so boring - because there are only a few players left on the course.  This also gives the viewers the opportunity to see the players who made final day charges (with low rounds) live instead of only in highlight reels.  Nothings worse than turning on the broadcast on Sunday and there's a bunch of guys near the top of the leaderboard who are done or almost done, and you've missed all of the exciting golf.  Then you've got to sit through 2.5 hours of coverage, watching just a few guys who are still in the tournament.  That's why most people just record the Sunday round and watch it later so they can fast forward through all the garbage.  It would be far more exciting if the course was full of all the players still having 11 or so holes to go.

#84 Pigems

Pigems

Left Handed

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,680 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 246559
  • Ebay ID:Piggems
GolfWRX Likes : 16766

Posted 17 April 2018 - 11:20 AM

Wouldn’t the PGA lose it’s tax exempt status(or whatever it has right now)  if it did this?

How about we just put a Goalie on each green instead? ;)
Ping G LST 9*- Silver TiNi 60x
PIng G 14.5*- Silver TiNi 70x
716 T-MB 3 iron - DG S400
710 AP2 4i-9i - DG S300
SM5 47* 51* 55*- S300
TVD 59*M - DG S300
Studio Select NP2

#85 hdr_ric

hdr_ric

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 323261
  • Handicap:6.1
GolfWRX Likes : 533

Posted 17 April 2018 - 11:47 AM

With the rapid deceleration of corporate investment in the PGA Tour .......

What rapid deceleration of corporate investment in the PGA Tour???

#86 ExTrumpet

ExTrumpet

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107010
GolfWRX Likes : 278

Posted 17 April 2018 - 11:52 AM

View Posthdr_ric, on 17 April 2018 - 11:47 AM, said:

With the rapid deceleration of corporate investment in the PGA Tour .......

What rapid deceleration of corporate investment in the PGA Tour???

Events seem to change names quite a bit.  Houston Open used to be the Shell Houston Open...not this year.  And, I believe its future is uncertain at this point.
Ping Anser 8.5 Driver, Ahina 70S
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15, Aldila VS Proto 70S
Ping G20 17*
Ping K15 4 Hybrid, TT Lite S
Callaway Steelhead XR 5-AW, XP105 S
Ping Tour-S Rustique 54, 60
Ping B60 BeCu

#87 raynorfan1

raynorfan1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,505 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 11:57 AM

View PostPigems, on 17 April 2018 - 11:20 AM, said:

Wouldn't the PGA lose it's tax exempt status(or whatever it has right now)  if it did this?

Not necessarily. All of the major sports leagues are structured as non-profit membership associations.

#88 Lagavulin62

Lagavulin62

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 445162
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 263

Posted 17 April 2018 - 12:04 PM

The only thing that can save golf is Tiger and Phil remaining competitive well into their 90’s.  This game is really starting to suck. It’s getting that bad.

#89 cdnglf

cdnglf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,983 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139540
GolfWRX Likes : 1351

Posted 17 April 2018 - 12:07 PM

View Postraynorfan1, on 17 April 2018 - 11:57 AM, said:

View PostPigems, on 17 April 2018 - 11:20 AM, said:

Wouldn't the PGA lose it's tax exempt status(or whatever it has right now)  if it did this?

Not necessarily. All of the major sports leagues are structured as non-profit membership associations.

I don't think that is true for all leagues:

https://www.nytimes....s-is-irrelevant

#90 Frankensteins Monster

Frankensteins Monster

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,095 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 214901
GolfWRX Likes : 4443

Posted 17 April 2018 - 12:27 PM

Posted Image

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

CommerceTiger

GolfWRX Sponsors