Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

The traditional PGA Tour model of professional golf is dead. Time for change...

131 replies to this topic

#1 mjen43

mjen43

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119001
GolfWRX Likes : 967

Posted 15 April 2018 - 09:17 PM

With the rapid deceleration of corporate investment in the PGA Tour, it appears that the business model of professional golf needs to change. Combined with growing interest in team related golf activities (NCAA, Ryder and Presidents cup, New Orleans tournament), it would appear that professional golf could be positioned to transform itself into a more traditional sports organization/association/league based model.

I think we are close to seeing a group of privately wealthy billionaires establish a golf league, similar to the likes of the NBA, NHL, NFL. This league would pit teams of golfers against each other and allow them to compete, as teams, for a world championship. Players would be drafted to each team and provided with playing contracts, just like other sports leagues. Each team would be able to construct a championship caliber venue in every major city and host weekly tournaments.

This would solve many current issues with the game:

Fan perspective:
1. Every city would be able to see the worlds best play. Since players would be under contract and the team would play a regulated schedule, fans everywhere would have an opportunity to see the best perform.

2. No name anonymous tour drones would suddenly bring value to the competition. As it stands now, nobody has any personal investment in seeing these types play/compete. Make them apart of a team though, and add in some fan/location based tribalism, and all of a sudden you care how about how your 32 year old anonymous tour pro rookie is performing.

3. Cool jerseys. How awesome would it be to be able to buy, say, a Rickie Fowler #69 jersey from your local pro shop if youíre a fan of the Bakers Bay Unplayable Lies and get beligerently drunk with it on at your local sports bar?

Player perspective:
1. Guaranteed contracts. No more stress about what place you finish. You get drafted, you perform, you get your fat contract and you coast for 4-5 years. Great deal.

2. No more associated costs. The team pays for travel, accomodations, caddy, coaches, etc.

3. Team comradery. Golf is one of the only sports where athletes miss out on some nice locker room talk with the boys.

Iím sure there are inumerable other benefits I have missed out on. Please feel free to submit your own.

Golf is really only an individual sport at the professional level. At the high school and college level it is a team sport. With the decline of the PGA Tour and golf as a whole, it is time for change. A shift to a more traditional league/owner/team model would provide the spark the game needs. Please add your thoughts.

Edited by mjen43, 15 April 2018 - 09:22 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 DavePelz4

DavePelz4

Legend

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 22,761 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69051
GolfWRX Likes : 23562

Posted 15 April 2018 - 09:22 PM

Lots of points for creativity and plating but the taste is a bit short.

#3 keads

keads

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 490814
  • Handicap:7.4
GolfWRX Likes : 30

Posted 15 April 2018 - 09:22 PM

I'd be the first sign up for season tickets. As I'm sure the rest of my PNW members would echo, it is brutal how little exposure we get to the games best. One of the most beautiful cities in America and have no regular stop.

#4 rawdog

rawdog

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424320
  • Handicap:8.6
  • Ebay ID:staghornsandmore
GolfWRX Likes : 2033

Posted 15 April 2018 - 09:23 PM

Cobra LTD Driver
Aldila Rogue Black, 9.5* @44.5"
In1Zone Single Length Fairway Woods

Graffaloy ProLaunch Axis Blue @41.5" 5W = 19*
Graffaloy ProLaunch Axis Blue @41.5" 7W = 23*
Cobra F7 One Length Irons
Nippon Modus 105 Stiff @ 36.5"
6I = 24*   7I = 29*   8I = 34*   9I = 39*   PW = 44*   GW = 49*   SW = 54*   LW = 59*
Odyssey #9 HT Metal X Milled @33.5"
Maxfli SoftFli

#5 Aaronwilson_95

Aaronwilson_95

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 442640
  • Ebay ID:Aronwilson1995
GolfWRX Likes : 382

Posted 15 April 2018 - 09:31 PM

Unless this is a separate league from the pga I donít see this happening. Top guys wonít play because as you said they will have team jerseys. No chance you see a guy like Rickie getting rid off his outside sponsorship money (rocket loans , puma , Mercedes on a perennial face always on tv) that contract would have to be 55 million plus.

Golfers play this game at a high level because theyíre good at it, and enjoy being able to own there own outcome. I donít see any great players playing.

Without the great players it wonít be profitable.

Where do you draft guys from ? The mini tours when they have no other options?
NCAA teams where the superstars get sponsor exemptions out off school ?

Greg Norman

Also I donít think the team game would sell more than 5 yikes a year
NCAA golf has 2 events on tv

Usually canít even get members off the club to come out and watch our events

My point is
The players who it would benefit the most , wouldnít sell enough tickets to make it profitable

The players who  sell the tickets wouldnít benefit enough to play it.

Very CATCH 22

To add to your last point , I would much rather win an individual brown NCAA trophy than a team one , why ? Because that will open up doors for yourself.

Colleges donít recruit players on HS team success
They recruit on INDIVIDUAL success in the AJGA state ams and such . For a lot of good players HS golf was a way for them to miss school and golf with friends.

Frankly you have zero clue about how golf works at any off these levels IMO

The USGA isnít exempting the entire winning team .
https://www.golfchan...sga-exemptions/

Edited by Aaronwilson_95, 15 April 2018 - 09:47 PM.

#6 Aaronwilson_95

Aaronwilson_95

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 09:35 PM

View Postkeads, on 15 April 2018 - 09:22 PM, said:

I'd be the first sign up for season tickets. As I'm sure the rest of my PNW members would echo, it is brutal how little exposure we get to the games best. One of the most beautiful cities in America and have no regular stop.
https://www.wincofoodsportlandopen.com

#7 PGArox

PGArox

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,240 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89725
GolfWRX Likes : 5808

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:09 PM

Cool little fantasy.  Not gonna happen.

#8 mjen43

mjen43

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:11 PM

View PostAaronwilson_95, on 15 April 2018 - 09:31 PM, said:

Lots of stuff

I donít see any reason why players would lose out on corporate endorsements just because of a jersey and a team. Athletes of every sport have endorsement deals with all kinds of companies. Just slap a logo on your jersey if you want to rep your sponsor during actual play. The NBA and soccer do it. Not really a concern IMO.

Players would be drafted from anywhere. It would be up to the team scouts to find the best players and up to the players to demonstrate their value/market themselves. Golf doesnít even need an age limit due to itís non physical nature. Declare for the draft whenever you want. If you are worthy the scouts will find you, just like every sport. They could even have minor league teams if they like.

No players of any other sport are drafted based off of team success. I donít understand your point. Just because it is a team game doesnít mean you canít evaluate individual talent within that team.

I donít think it would be too difficult to attract top tier talent. Golfers donít really make that much in on course earnings anyways. It would likely only take a 4-5 year deal for $20-30 million to nab someone like Spieth anyways. Thatís chump change for modern day sports team owners. In a career year he makes like what, $8 million max? He makes most of his money off course anyways and we established that wouldnít be an issue. The safety of a long-term contract would no doubt entice top players.

As for what to pay rookies/young talent, if you offered someone like Braden Thornberry/Doug Ghim/Justin Suh a 3 year deal worth $2-4 million theyíd be a fool to not take it. With the landscape of professional golf, and how difficult it is to make it, I see no reason why they wouldnít take this deal coming out of college over trying their luck on the PGA Tour. If they perform on that deal, they can then cash in on the next one. For less heralded prospects it would be even less. You could probably entice someone who is ranked 50 on WAGR to sign for 50k/year to start. These types of guys take years to reach the tour, if at all. Provide them with a place to play and some guaranteed income and no doubt theyíd accept.

No doubt it would take a significant initial investment, but guys like Bob Parsons, Steph Curry, Trump, Tiger, Phil, etc. would be very well positioned to provide the initial capital required to get the league off the ground.

Edited by mjen43, 15 April 2018 - 10:31 PM.

#9 Shilgy

Shilgy

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,581 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 235237
  • Handicap:3.1
GolfWRX Likes : 6366

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:20 PM

Just when I think winter is about over another storm blows through and guys post this type of alleged brilliance.

Sorry to sound harsh but... Did you know there is a team tennis? Has it replaced the Grand Slam events?  What happens to the major golf events? Just gone? Don't want your star player going solo.

All the credit in the world but this is a solution looking for a problem.

Edit, if you have money guys ready and willing why can't they sponsor current events instead?

Edited by Shilgy, 15 April 2018 - 10:21 PM.

TM M3 440 10* Graphite Design AD IZ 6x
TM M1 3w 14*  Graphite Design BB7s
TM M2  5w 18* Fujikura Atmos TS Blue 8S or Srixon U65 18° Atmos Red 7s
Adams A12 UST Silver S 21°
Srixon Z765 5-AW Nippon Pro Modus3 125S
Titleist Vokey 54*F  58*S
Toulon Garage Rochester/ Toulon Rochester

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened .  :)

#10 mjen43

mjen43

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:24 PM

View PostShilgy, on 15 April 2018 - 10:20 PM, said:

Just when I think winter is about over another storm blows through and guys post this type of alleged brilliance.

Sorry to sound harsh but... Did you know there is a team tennis? Has it replaced the Grand Slam events?  What happens to the major golf events? Just gone? Don't want your star player going solo.

All the credit in the world but this is a solution looking for a problem.

Edit, if you have money guys ready and willing why can't they sponsor current events instead?

Because you donít directly make money from sponsoring an event. All that does is allow you to slap your name on the PGA Tourís product and hope the exposure helps your company. Clearly that model is not working as companies are pulling support and leaving many tournaments without a title sponsor. Why do that when you could own the product outright?

Also, the majors have no affiliation with the PGA Tour. They can stay.

Edited by mjen43, 16 April 2018 - 03:51 AM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 cdnglf

cdnglf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139540
GolfWRX Likes : 1622

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:37 PM

OP should put this on Kickstarter

#12 Aaronwilson_95

Aaronwilson_95

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:43 PM

View Postmjen43, on 15 April 2018 - 10:11 PM, said:

View PostAaronwilson_95, on 15 April 2018 - 09:31 PM, said:

Lots of stuff

I donít see any reason why players would lose out on corporate endorsements just because of a jersey and a team. Athletes of every sport have endorsement deals with all kinds of companies. Just slap a logo on your jersey if you want to rep your sponsor during actual play. The NBA and soccer do it. Not really a concern IMO.

Players would be drafted from anywhere. It would be up to the team scouts to find the best players and up to the players to demonstrate their value/market themselves. Golf doesnít even need an age limit due to itís non physical nature. Declare for the draft whenever you want. If you are worthy the scouts will find you, just like every sport. They could even have minor league teams if they like.

No players of any other sport are drafted based off of team success. I donít understand your point. Just because it is a team game doesnít mean you canít evaluate individual talent within that team.

I donít think it would be too difficult to attract top tier talent. Golfers donít really make that much in on course earnings anyways. It would likely only take a 4-5 year deal for $20-30 million to nab someone like Spieth anyways. Thatís chump change for modern day sports team owners. In a career year he makes like what, $8 million max? He makes most of his money off course anyways and we established that wouldnít be an issue. The safety of a long-term contract would no doubt entice top players.

As for what to pay rookies/young talent, if you offered someone like Braden Thornberry/Doug Ghim/Justin Suh a 3 year deal worth $2-4 million theyíd be a fool to not take it. With the landscape of professional golf, and how difficult it is to make it, I see no reason why they wouldnít take this deal coming out of college over trying their luck on the PGA Tour. If they perform on that deal, they can then cash in on the next one. For less heralded prospects it would be even less. You could probably entice someone who is ranked 50 on WAGR to sign for 50k/year to start. These types of guys take years to reach the tour, if at all. Provide them with a place to play and some guaranteed income and no doubt theyíd accept.

No doubt it would take a significant initial investment, but guys like Bob Parsons, Steph Curry, Trump, Tiger, Phil, etc. would be very well positioned to provide the initial capital required to get the league off the ground.
Spieth took in 53 million alone in both 15 & 16.
The appeal off golf is that the logo when theyíre playing. I donít see how an owner off a team/league would be happy with Rickie slapping a Mercedes Benz logo on there jersey (that decreases there brand value )
Sure your product would be reliant on all Americans coming out of school looking for financial stability , BUT again those guys donít sell tickets
75$ gets you a ticket for the entire week to the US Am , which exempts all off those 50 wagr guys you spoke off

#13 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

The adventure begins!

• 14,563 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
GolfWRX Likes : 10872

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:49 PM

Fantasy land - and not the first time almost those exact suggestions have been made on here, so not sure if recycled or borrowed, but the premise is incorrect and the "solutions" just plain silly - golf is still an individual sport and there is no significant movement to "team" competitions.  NCAA is a minor blip on the radar screen for 99% of the viewing public, including people that watch golf and the President's Cup is hardly driving any trend bus.  New Orleans?  Who cares.  Ryder Cup is unique.  Local golf team?  LOL.  And high school golf as support for your "argument" or a "model" for team golf as you describe? You can't be serious about that.  Great high school golfers and college golfers aren't participating like they are on the basketball team.

Billionaires who earned their money didn't make it being stupid.

Edited by Hawkeye77, 15 April 2018 - 10:56 PM.

#14 bigchucksr

bigchucksr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 453192
  • Handicap:16
  • Ebay ID:bigchucksr2
GolfWRX Likes : 213

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:52 PM

I felt a tiny tug on my right leg for the first part of your "proposal" but the "a Rickie Fowler #69 jersey" damn near jerked me out of my recliner.  Ok, I almost got the hook--line and sinker were ingested and spit out.

#15 mjen43

mjen43

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:55 PM

View PostHawkeye77, on 15 April 2018 - 10:49 PM, said:

Fantasy land - and not the first time almost those exact suggestions have been made on here, so not sure if recycled or borrowed, but the premise is incorrect and the "solutions" just plain silly - golf is still an individual sport and there is no significant movement to "team" competitions.  NCAA is a minor blip on the radar screen for 99% of the viewing public, including people that watch golf and the President's Cup is hardly driving any trend bus.  New Orleans?  Who cares.  Ryder Cup is unique.  Local golf team?  LOL.

Why are title sponsors backing out of golf? Off the top of my head there is/was no sponsor for Mexico/Houston and Colonial this year. This is a new problem; the landscape has changed. Fans only want to watch approximately 10-20 players. Change is coming.

Edited by mjen43, 15 April 2018 - 10:56 PM.

#16 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

The adventure begins!

• 14,563 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 11:00 PM

View Postmjen43, on 15 April 2018 - 10:55 PM, said:

Fantasy land - and not the first time almost those exact suggestions have been made on here, so not sure if recycled or borrowed, but the premise is incorrect and the "solutions" just plain silly - golf is still an individual sport and there is no significant movement to "team" competitions.  NCAA is a minor blip on the radar screen for 99% of the viewing public, including people that watch golf and the President's Cup is hardly driving any trend bus.  New Orleans?  Who cares.  Ryder Cup is unique.  Local golf team?  LOL.

Why are title sponsors backing out of golf? Off the top of my head there is/was no sponsor for Mexico/Houston and Colonial this year. This is a new problem; the landscape has changed. Fans only want to watch approximately 10-20 players. Change is coming.

Don't know, why are they?  You don't have enough experience, information or expertise to analyze it, that much is obvious, and no, not the first time nor the last that events change sponsors for any number of reasons so not "new".

#17 mjen43

mjen43

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 11:03 PM

View PostHawkeye77, on 15 April 2018 - 11:00 PM, said:

Don't know, why are they?  You don't have enough experience, information or expertise to analyze it, that much is obvious, and no, not the first time nor the last that events change sponsors for any number of reasons so not "new".

This isnít a ďchangeĒ of sponsors, this is a ďlackĒ of sponsors. Itís only a matter of time before only the majors can find corporate support at this rate.

I never claimed to be an expert. This is just my solution to bring the spark back to the game and align the game with a proven method of professional sports entertainment/consumption.

Edited by mjen43, 15 April 2018 - 11:06 PM.

#18 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

The adventure begins!

• 14,563 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 11:05 PM

View Postmjen43, on 15 April 2018 - 11:03 PM, said:

View PostHawkeye77, on 15 April 2018 - 11:00 PM, said:

This isn't a "change" of sponsors, this is a "lack" of sponsors. It's only a matter of time before only the majors can find corporate support at this rate.

I never claimed to be an expert. This is just my solution to bring the spark back to the game.

Now it's obvious this is a big troll - enjoy.

#19 15th Club

15th Club

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 248249
  • Ebay ID:cdbplc
GolfWRX Likes : 799

Posted 15 April 2018 - 11:10 PM

Thanks to Tim Finchemís skills as a Washington lobbyist, the current PGA tour has a retirement fund with a highly complicated structure and a fabulously favorable federal tax treatment.  Absolutely nobody in Tour golf wants to rock that boat.

Which is good because a Pro Golf League with teams and jerseys and a draft is the most fantastically bad idea I have ever heard in connection with the game.

#20 Bigarch

Bigarch

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 465696
  • Handicap:4.2
GolfWRX Likes : 636

Posted 15 April 2018 - 11:30 PM

Not going to pick apart every point here, but here's 2 reasons that immediately jump into my mind why this either won't work or is a very bad idea:
1.  The top players will never sign on for it, because of the many reasons already mentioned.  They were scraping the bottom of the barrel to come up with reasons why not to play in the Olympics.  So there's no way they are going to give up their autonomy to play in a deal like this.
2.  Xander Schauffele. The guy entered last year ranked 299 and was conditionally exempt but finished the year 3rd in the Fed Ex standings. In a league type scenario, the guy wouldn't even have been drafted while guys on the downside of their careers probably would get drafted just to attract fans.  The fans might be initially intrigued, but they aren't going to stand for a sub-par (no pun intended) product for very long.  It's the same problem that keeps the Champions Tour from drawing big crowds.

• Driver - Taylormade 2016 M1 10.5* Fujukura Pro 60
  • Fairway - Adams Fairway Blue 16* Stock Slim Tech Stiff
  • Hybrid -  Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Fujikura S +.5"
  • 4-PW- Mizuno JPX EX Forged +1.25"
  • Wedges - 52, 56, 60 Cleveland 588 RTX 588 Apollo MatchFlex +1"
  • Putter - Cleveland Classic 10  - 34.5"

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 mjen43

mjen43

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 11:39 PM

View PostBigarch, on 15 April 2018 - 11:30 PM, said:

Not going to pick apart every point here, but here's 2 reasons that immediately jump into my mind why this either won't work or is a very bad idea:
1.  The top players will never sign on for it, because of the many reasons already mentioned.  They were scraping the bottom of the barrel to come up with reasons why not to play in the Olympics.  So there's no way they are going to give up their autonomy to play in a deal like this.
2.  Xander Schauffele. The guy entered last year ranked 299 and was conditionally exempt but finished the year 3rd in the Fed Ex standings. In a league type scenario, the guy wouldn't even have been drafted while guys on the downside of their careers probably would get drafted just to attract fans.  The fans might be initially intrigued, but they aren't going to stand for a sub-par (no pun intended) product for very long.  It's the same problem that keeps the Champions Tour from drawing big crowds.

Appreciate the input.

No doubt youíd have to offer the top ranked pros more than their expected current on course earnings as itís getting off the ground to get them to switch. Money has a way of changing minds though (something the olympics canít offer).

Xander certainly would have been drafted. He was a top 20 ranked amateur in the world coming out of school. He wouldnít have been able to reach the level of earnings he has currently though, I agree. No doubt guys like Ben Simmons, Donovan Mitchell, or Carson Wentz are underpaid while on their rookie contracts though, too.

Also, when you introduce a team aspect, fans tend to identify with the team and its success and less so with the individual players. If fans know their team is playing over the hill legends over better up and comers, that team wonít last long and fans will turn on the coach/gm.

Maybe the reason why golf fans arenít as interested in the amateur scene is because of the lack of the team/prospect/draft aspect. There is currently no reason for pro golf fans to care about up and comers until they have already arrived/proven themselves. This is an area golf lacks that could drive interest in the sport as a whole and help ďgrow the gameĒ, as it does with so many other sports.

Edited by mjen43, 15 April 2018 - 11:49 PM.

#22 Aaronwilson_95

Aaronwilson_95

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:01 AM

View Postmjen43, on 15 April 2018 - 11:39 PM, said:

View PostBigarch, on 15 April 2018 - 11:30 PM, said:

Appreciate the input.

No doubt youíd have to offer the top ranked pros more than their expected current on course earnings as itís getting off the ground to get them to switch. Money has a way of changing minds though (something the olympics canít offer).

Xander certainly would have been drafted. He was a top 20 ranked amateur in the world coming out of school. He wouldnít have been able to reach the level of earnings he has currently though, I agree. No doubt guys like Ben Simmons, Donovan Mitchell, or Carson Wentz are underpaid while on their rookie contracts though, too.

Also, when you introduce a team aspect, fans tend to identify with the team and its success and less so with the individual players. If fans know their team is playing over the hill legends over better up and comers, that team wonít last long and fans will turn on the coach/gm.

Maybe the reason why golf fans arenít as interested in the amateur scene is because of the lack of the team/prospect/draft aspect. There is currently no reason for pro golf fans to care about up and comers until they have already arrived/proven themselves. This is an area golf lacks that could drive interest in the sport as a whole and help ďgrow the gameĒ, as it does with so many other sports.

My school has loads off people attend the soccer games and volleyball games including professors. How come when we have an event two highways exits away itís pulling teeth to even get parents to watch let alone fans . And thatís a ďteam aspectĒ and people they teach everyday and hang out with in there free time so people they care about and have an interest in

Edited by Aaronwilson_95, 16 April 2018 - 12:02 AM.

#23 mjen43

mjen43

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:11 AM

View PostAaronwilson_95, on 16 April 2018 - 12:01 AM, said:

My school has loads off people attend the soccer games and volleyball games including professors. How come when we have an event two highways exits away itís pulling teeth to even get parents to watch let alone fans . And thatís a ďteam aspectĒ and people they teach everyday and hang out with in there free time so people they care about and have an interest in

Good question. Maybe because golf is boring as hell to watch at the non-elite level (and elite level sometimes), takes 12 hours (36 hole college days) to play and takes considerable effort to follow (walking). Probably just inherent aspects of the game make for poor viewing, if I had to say.

Edited by mjen43, 16 April 2018 - 12:18 AM.

#24 hack2489

hack2489

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 459550
  • Handicap:16
GolfWRX Likes : 51

Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:16 AM

The other"team" based leagues work because the result of the competition is measured due to the performance of the whole team working together. Golf teams are still based on Individual performance.

Golf is an individual effort sport.

Unless the "team" is made up of say 4 players, one who is the dedicated driver, another for irons, another for short game and the last the putter. Then, play team against team, and you have an outcome result based upon the team effort.

And.

A very different game.

Can you see that happening?

Edited by hack2489, 16 April 2018 - 12:18 AM.

#25 Aaronwilson_95

Aaronwilson_95

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:18 AM

View Postmjen43, on 16 April 2018 - 12:11 AM, said:

Good question. Maybe because golf is boring as hell to watch at the non-elite level, takes 12 hours (36 hole college days) to play and takes considerable effort to follow (walking). Probably just inherent aspects of the game make for poor viewing, if I had to say.
And thus answers your question off why team golf wonít succeed.

#26 mjen43

mjen43

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:23 AM

View PostAaronwilson_95, on 16 April 2018 - 12:18 AM, said:

Good question. Maybe because golf is boring as hell to watch at the non-elite level, takes 12 hours (36 hole college days) to play and takes considerable effort to follow (walking). Probably just inherent aspects of the game make for poor viewing, if I had to say.

It does? I donít think so. Itís not like people would be showing up to college golf tournaments if it was individual play.

#27 mallrat

mallrat

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,527 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122361
GolfWRX Likes : 1404

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:02 AM

What makes you think the PGA Tour is losing sponsors? Did they release financials I missed? Just because there isnít a giant name on the front doesnít mean there arenít sponsors lined up out the door. Do you know for a fact that all tourneys want to put a sponsor in the title?

Also what happens next year when Tiger is back for a full year?

#28 mallrat

mallrat

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,527 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122361
GolfWRX Likes : 1404

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:05 AM

View Postmjen43, on 16 April 2018 - 12:23 AM, said:

View PostAaronwilson_95, on 16 April 2018 - 12:18 AM, said:

It does? I donít think so. Itís not like people would be showing up to college golf tournaments if it was individual play.

Are you saying that people show up to college tournaments now? Not from the tourneys iíve seen. I would actually argue that high level am tournaments I.e, the US Am, draw bigger crowds than the vast majority of college events.

#29 elwhippy

elwhippy

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3536
GolfWRX Likes : 835

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:07 AM

Golf is a game for individual performance. The RC is a great competition but too much team focus would, as said ruin individuality. And you only have to look at IPL to see how nasty team jerseys can get.

#30 Sonoronsis

Sonoronsis

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63065
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:25 AM

Assuming there is an actual sponsor or money problem, wouldn't it make more sense to decrease the number of tournaments or lower the purses to a more "reasonable" level for said sponsors? Why try to reinvent the wheel when all you need is a new set of tires?

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors