Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

PING G/400 driver adapter epoxy issues?

PING adapter G400

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pearsonified

pearsonified

Extreme enthusiast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 357207
  • Handicap:3.3
GolfWRX Likes : 975

Posted 15 April 2018 - 09:02 PM

I've had Golf Galaxy put PING adapters on 4 shafts since 2016.

Every single one of them has had the following symptoms:
  • Shaft begins to twist inside adapter (accelerated by higher torques on toe-side strikes)
  • Ferrule begins to separate from adapter
  • Club head comes off
At this point, I'm guessing it's just the epoxy used by Golf Galaxy. I got another shaft outfitted with a PING adapter at a smaller golf shop (but much farther away) that uses a slow-setting epoxy...which I think may have been mixed up on an as-needed basis? (need epoxy heads to comment on this)

What do you guys think is the deal here? PING adapters seem much more prone to this than TM or Cobra, which I've never had problems with.

PING G400 Max 9º •• Project X LZ17 6.5 (tipped 0.5")
TM M2 3HL 16.5º •• Aldila NV 2KXV Orange 65x
Callaway Apex 20º •• Project X EvenFlow Black Hybrid 6.5
Adams MB2 4-P (22.5º-47º) •• Project X LZ 6.5
Nike VR Forged 50º/10º •• KBS Tour 130x
Vokey SM5 54º/10º M •• DG S400
Nike Engage 60º Toe Sweep •• DG S200
TM Spider Tour Limited 35"

2018 Tournament Index: 4.77 (super bummed about this, see results)
2017 Tournament Index: 2.66

Current anti-handicap: 5.8

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 81PING

81PING

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 210015
  • Ebay ID:mattykracks
GolfWRX Likes : 528

Posted 15 April 2018 - 09:34 PM

I would think it has a lot to do with the epoxy. Could be a bad mix or a bad batch. Additionally, poor prepping of the shaft and adapter can also lead to poor adhesion.

It would be a variety of factors, but the fact the same golf galaxy has messed it up 4 times leafs me to believe they are doing something wrong.
COBRA LTD w. Hzrdus Red
WISHON 919 w. Hzrdus Red
TAYLORMADE Issue Aeroburner w. Tensei Blue
PING G25 w. Tensei Blue
PING I200 w. AWT 2.0
PING Glide 2.0 Stealth
MannKrafted Carbon WB Rattler
Xenon Copper Wide X
SGC 902

#3 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,133 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
GolfWRX Likes : 5817

Posted 16 April 2018 - 02:46 AM

View Postpearsonified, on 15 April 2018 - 09:02 PM, said:

What do you guys think is the deal here? PING adapters seem much more prone to this than TM or Cobra, which I've never had problems with.

With the Ping G driver release, the adapter changed to add a rubber ferrule to help protect the shaft from breakage (which had been occurring on some rare occasions with the g30 version of the adapter).   While it did do a good job of protecting the shaft in that respect, the downside was the glue joint got considerably smaller - it's less then 1" long.  And therefore it's MUCH more sensitive to build issues (bore properly cleaned and abraded, strong enough of an epoxy and properly mixed) - especially for higher swing speed players.

So I wouldn't necessarily put the blame on Golf Galaxy in this case.  What they are doing would likely work fine in most head installations.

This is one case where (IMO) the CMX aftermarket adapter is actually much better then the OEM adapter.   You get the bigger glue joint and you can even get one that's +/-1.5* instead of just the +/-1* of the OEM adapter.

https://www.billybob...&cat=254&page=1

Edited by Stuart G., 16 April 2018 - 02:48 AM.

Also tagged with PING, adapter, G400

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors