Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

National Membership (Private Club)

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 SPY ZINGER

SPY ZINGER

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14712
GolfWRX Likes : 178

Posted 15 April 2018 - 07:52 PM

I am considering a national Membership at a private course in my state.  Itís 150 miles away.  Itís obviously not going to be the ďhome courseĒ but itíll serve as a 5-7x a year retreat.  

I am just wondering, for those that have national memberships, what are some of the considerations you evaluated prior to joining?  Just looking for some feedback.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Dancin

Dancin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 432936
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 58

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:38 PM

View PostSPY ZINGER, on 15 April 2018 - 07:52 PM, said:

I am considering a national Membership at a private course in my state.  It's 150 miles away.  It's obviously not going to be the "home course" but it'll serve as a 5-7x a year retreat.  

I am just wondering, for those that have national memberships, what are some of the considerations you evaluated prior to joining?  Just looking for some feedback.

There's a lot of good deals on national memberships across the country right now. You're lucky to qualify for national membership being within 150 miles unless that is all side roads. A lot of others have a much larger distance to qualify. Personally I would want something in good condition during my local course's off season where I knew I'd be able to play in 3 hours. A really interesting course or a really interesting location are other considerations, but something special about it as there are lots of resort courses that you can visit and play cheaper than most national memberships are going to cost (depending of course on how many times you go). By picking one relatively close to your hometown that changes a lot of the decisions since that can be doable without airfare and potentially even be a day trip.

#3 SPY ZINGER

SPY ZINGER

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:57 PM

Good points and perspective, Dancin. Yes its 150 miles, straight highway.  Its in the Golfweek top 100 traditional courses and top 5 in Minnesota.  Its an old Donald Ross course built in 1899, right on Lake Superior.  They‚Äôre waiving initiation for the first 30 nationals and its $1,500 for a full family membership.  As the saying goes,cant really look at it from a cost per round perspective but moreso access to play a great course as a full member.  I would like to play 10 rounds but feel like 8 is more like the realistic number.  I like the fact that because of it being private, last minute spur of the moment ventures wont have tee time issues if the opportunity presents itself.  I like the 2 hour drive aspect and its also doable for a day trip turn around for a buddies quick trip too.  I feel like at that price point, even if I determine itÄôs not sustainable, I am not out that much as a learning experience too.

Edited by SPY ZINGER, 15 April 2018 - 11:02 PM.

#4 jshel

jshel

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17037
GolfWRX Likes : 43

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:53 PM

Zinger,

You know my feeling of said club. If it is truly no initiation fee, just write a check for $1500 and play as much as you want, you should do it.

The golf course is great, the drive is easy and a day there will clear out anything that's banging around between your ears. You can do a day trip without an issue and it isn't like the place is overrun with play.

If I wasn't already a national membership somewhere (where the in-laws live), I would totally do this. But I'm pretty sure having two national memberships would be very excessive.

Edited by jshel, 16 April 2018 - 08:56 PM.

Driver: Ping G400, 9.5, Ping Tour shaft
3W: Ping G400, Ping Tour shaft
Hybrid: Callaway XR 19 degree
Irons: Mizuno JPX-900 Hot Metal 4-PW
Wedges: Vokey SM6 52, 56, 60
Putter: Bettinardi Queen Bee 8 is the most likely option

#5 Dancin

Dancin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 432936
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 58

Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:47 PM

View PostSPY ZINGER, on 15 April 2018 - 10:57 PM, said:

Good points and perspective, Dancin. Yes its 150 miles, straight highway.  Its in the Golfweek top 100 traditional courses and top 5 in Minnesota.  Its an old Donald Ross course built in 1899, right on Lake Superior.  They’re waiving initiation for the first 30 nationals and its $1,500 for a full family membership.  As the saying goes,cant really look at it from a cost per round perspective but moreso access to play a great course as a full member.  I would like to play 10 rounds but feel like 8 is more like the realistic number.  I like the fact that because of it being private, last minute spur of the moment ventures wont have tee time issues if the opportunity presents itself.  I like the 2 hour drive aspect and its also doable for a day trip turn around for a buddies quick trip too.  I feel like at that price point, even if I determine it€™s not sustainable, I am not out that much as a learning experience too.

$1500 a year for that course is a no brainer. I'd be all over that if I was within a two hours drive. I just noticed they are part of Hampton Golf which gives you access to a bunch of private southern courses for basically cart fee rates too (assuming they let national members in on that).

Edited by Dancin, 16 April 2018 - 10:29 PM.

#6 SPY ZINGER

SPY ZINGER

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:41 PM

Jshel: You really highlighted one of the reasons I am considering.  I‚Äôve played it twice and each time I felt an immediate connection to the course and the location.  It was like taking a pill no doctor could ever prescribe.  My parents always took me there as a kid and find myself taking my kids there often (the area). Making this course a part of this journey would be fairly special to me.  And...it‚Äôs Golf.  Sure I will be spending a lot per round I imagine, but I am not leveraging the mortgage to get in by any means.  If that‚Äôs the cost of lasting memories on that piece of land I feel it would be money well spent.

It really is appreciated reading both of your perspectives.

Edited by SPY ZINGER, 16 April 2018 - 10:41 PM.

#7 RBurl

RBurl

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 285930
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 17 April 2018 - 07:14 AM

It seems you have a winner picked. Good luck and enjoy!!

My criteria of finding a club was 1st - that had peak season when my home club doesn't. 2nd - proximity. Getting there 3 hr drive or one way flight. 3rd - geography with family (in - laws/ parents / children). 4th - camaraderie of the club or expanding golf network.

I have two friends going through their process now. One guy is looking for a state that he likes to visit for ten years.

#8 schley

schley

Love ya don't tell ya enough!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58583
  • Handicap:12.3
GolfWRX Likes : 236

Posted 17 April 2018 - 12:17 PM

View Postjshel, on 16 April 2018 - 08:53 PM, said:

If I wasn't already a national membership somewhere (where the in-laws live), I would totally do this. But I'm pretty sure having two national memberships would be very excessive.

There is such a thing as excessive???????????????????   :swoon:

#9 schley

schley

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 12:23 PM

I am considering a national Membership at a private course in my state.  It's 150 miles away.  It's obviously not going to be the "home course" but it'll serve as a 5-7x a year retreat.  

I am international but have looked at some privates around the country over the last 6 months to join.  My thoughts are the following:

1. National/international/non-resident membership are much more reasonable than I thought, and most people think.
2. I was looking for a place where my family already lives first and foremost.  I already live outside the country, I can't see coming back to the USA and then traveling away from them to utilize the national membership.  Thus I'm looking in Chicago (Olympia, Beverly, Medinah).
3. Guest fees, I am not really joining to find new friends, although that will be a side benefit for sure. It will be where my family / friends can come to play golf together. I learned that some are reasonable guest fees for family, but non - family is pretty steep.  Like 150-175, not including the caddie.
4. Initiation.  Some are charging quite a bit more than others, and this gives you no equity/voting/locker, thus you are basically paying an entrance fee to spread over many years of dues hopefully.  If you do join as a full member later, make sure your initiation fee transfers over towards that (which most places it will).

I'm thinking of a couple out of state places as well, but you could go crazy joining 3-4 great privates as a national member for like 3k a year in dues, but the 10-20k initiation will eat that perceived savings up.

#10 oldpalchamp

oldpalchamp

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2386
GolfWRX Likes : 341

Posted 17 April 2018 - 03:46 PM

View Postschley, on 17 April 2018 - 12:23 PM, said:

I am international but have looked at some privates around the country over the last 6 months to join.  My thoughts are the following:

1. National/international/non-resident membership are much more reasonable than I thought, and most people think.
2. I was looking for a place where my family already lives first and foremost.  I already live outside the country, I can't see coming back to the USA and then traveling away from them to utilize the national membership.  Thus I'm looking in Chicago (Olympia, Beverly, Medinah).
3. Guest fees, I am not really joining to find new friends, although that will be a side benefit for sure. It will be where my family / friends can come to play golf together. I learned that some are reasonable guest fees for family, but non - family is pretty steep.  Like 150-175, not including the caddie.
4. Initiation.  Some are charging quite a bit more than others, and this gives you no equity/voting/locker, thus you are basically paying an entrance fee to spread over many years of dues hopefully.  If you do join as a full member later, make sure your initiation fee transfers over towards that (which most places it will).

I'm thinking of a couple out of state places as well, but you could go crazy joining 3-4 great privates as a national member for like 3k a year in dues, but the 10-20k initiation will eat that perceived savings up.

You should also check out Point O Woods, and Lost Dunes.  Just around the lake and an easy 2-hour drive from the south suburbs.  Both are really great courses.  You could run into Da Coach at Lost Dunes!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 SPY ZINGER

SPY ZINGER

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2018 - 12:14 AM

View Postschley, on 17 April 2018 - 12:23 PM, said:

Great perspective and isnít that what we are all in this game for?  To go crazy!

#12 1lovesputters

1lovesputters

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1713
  • Ebay ID:1lovesputters
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 29 April 2018 - 03:09 PM

Has to be done. Played it 25 yrs ago and loved the setting and conditioning.
TaylorMade 2018 M3 10.5 460 Tensei Blue CK Tour X
TaylorMade 2018 M3 3 wood  Fujikura 757 Evolution X
Callaway Apex16 20,23,26 (AD-DI X)
PXG 311T 6-9 KBS Tour Black
PXG 311T 46, 50 Sugar Daddy Chrome KBS Tour Black
Callaway MD2 Tour Vintage 56, 60 KBS Tour Black
Toulon San Diego 34/355

#13 Philly Golf Guy

Philly Golf Guy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 209791
GolfWRX Likes : 41

Posted 29 April 2018 - 04:16 PM

1500 in annual dues and that's it?  If it's the course I think it is, that sounds pretty good.

#14 SPY ZINGER

SPY ZINGER

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2018 - 04:25 PM

View PostPhilly Golf Guy, on 29 April 2018 - 04:16 PM, said:

1500 in annual dues and that's it?  If it's the course I think it is, that sounds pretty good.

Oh yeah! IMG_1525037098.590252.jpg

#15 GWfool

GWfool

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 476386
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 02 May 2018 - 11:09 AM

I wasn't really familiar with a national membership at a club. I travel for business regularly to the DC area. I could potentially find a club up there to become a out-of-town/national member? How does that work?

#16 schley

schley

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2018 - 12:30 PM

View PostGWfool, on 02 May 2018 - 11:09 AM, said:

I wasn't really familiar with a national membership at a club. I travel for business regularly to the DC area. I could potentially find a club up there to become a out-of-town/national member? How does that work?

Just another membership category.  Usually comes with xxxxx number of rounds a year to play at the better clubs.  No locker usually, some places perhaps.  Great deal IMO as the costs isn't as high as many would think.

#17 SPY ZINGER

SPY ZINGER

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2018 - 08:46 AM

View PostGWfool, on 02 May 2018 - 11:09 AM, said:

A membership category that usually has restrictions on proximity to the club with a minimum of usually at least 100-200 miles.  However, in Minnesota, there are some clubs with 40 mile memberships.  But it is for just what you are describing.  Infrequent play, but perhaps frequent enough to make a category offering private club membership at a fraction of the price.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors