Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Shaved balls (full wedge shots)


  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 jcon

jcon

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 399076
  • Joined: 10/10/2015
  • Location:wi
  • Handicap:11.4
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 15 April 2018 - 06:26 PM

Wondering of others input on the subject of full wedge shots and damage to balls.

I carry a tw p770 51 aw, and I can hit it full with spin no worries. God forbid Im out 115yd and bang a 56. The ball is ruined. Chunks of cover stuck in grooves. Awesome. Tried different ball brands, same outcome. Just another ball in shag bag after the hole. Does anyone/everyone else have this happen to them? Do you care? Do you switch ball out to new?

I wont pull 60 out longer than 50yds unless the ball already has been beat up.

-random thoughts of a newbie during a mid April snowstorm


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 ThunderBuzzworth

ThunderBuzzworth

    Hulk... Smash!!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132069
  • Joined: 06/30/2011
  • Location:Metro Detroit
  • Handicap:+3
GolfWRX Likes : 2066

Posted 15 April 2018 - 06:51 PM

still using old grooves?
Current WITB

Taylormade 2016 M1 7.8* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
Titleist 917 F3 15* (Tensei Pro white 90tx)
Titleist 716 TMB 19* (DG X100)
Callaway 18 X Forged 4-PW (KBS $ Taper 130)
Titleist Vokey SM6 50F black (x100)
Titleist Vokey TVD 55K black (x100)
Titleist Vokey SM7 60D black (x100)
Taylormade Spider Tour Black 34
Srixon Z Star XV 17 Yellow

2

#3 Jc0

Jc0

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119066
  • Joined: 12/17/2010
  • Location:Tucson
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 256

Posted 15 April 2018 - 06:58 PM

View Postjcon, on 15 April 2018 - 06:26 PM, said:

Wondering of others input on the subject of full wedge shots and damage to balls.

I carry a tw p770 51 aw, and I can hit it full with spin no worries. God forbid Im out 115yd and bang a 56. The ball is ruined. Chunks of cover stuck in grooves. Awesome. Tried different ball brands, same outcome. Just another ball in shag bag after the hole. Does anyone/everyone else have this happen to them? Do you care? Do you switch ball out to new?

I wont pull 60 out longer than 50yds unless the ball already has been beat up.

-random thoughts of a newbie during a mid April snowstorm

Yes and I just keep using the ball. Never really noticed a difference in playability. Only take it out of play if the cut looks like it goes through the entire cover.

3

#4 Jagpilotohio

Jagpilotohio

    Go Bucks!!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,953 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 395936
  • Joined: 09/14/2015
  • Location:Columbus, OH
  • Handicap:1.2
  • Ebay ID:Jagpilotohio
GolfWRX Likes : 4612

Posted 15 April 2018 - 07:42 PM

Did you really just start a thread called “Shaved balls”?
9.5* Cobra LTD,  Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
4-9 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X
Ping glide2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 stealth, Recoil Proto 125 F5
SM6 60-08 (at 61), S400 Black Onyx.
33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
Srixon Z-star XV

4

#5 brkuck

brkuck

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47240
  • Joined: 01/27/2008
  • Location:Chicagoland
GolfWRX Likes : 285

Posted 15 April 2018 - 08:04 PM

View PostJagpilotohio, on 15 April 2018 - 07:42 PM, said:

Did you really just start a thread called “Shaved balls”?

At least he didnt put "my" in between it.


5

#6 sheldonjhacker

sheldonjhacker

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,475 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87167
  • Joined: 07/01/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 1519

Posted 15 April 2018 - 08:12 PM

Posted Image

6

#7 jcon

jcon

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 399076
  • Joined: 10/10/2015
  • Location:wi
  • Handicap:11.4
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 15 April 2018 - 08:21 PM

View PostThunderBuzzworth, on 15 April 2018 - 06:51 PM, said:

still using old grooves?

Titleist sm4s. Theyve got miles on them but continue to perform.

7

#8 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

    #TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,947 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68568
  • Joined: 11/01/2008
  • Location:Montreal
  • Handicap:0.0
GolfWRX Likes : 22629

Posted 15 April 2018 - 08:36 PM

View PostThunderBuzzworth, on 15 April 2018 - 06:51 PM, said:

still using old grooves?

That's my first thought too....when i used the now illegal grooves, one wedge shot would take a ball out of play

Now i can't take a cover off no matter how hard i swing.

I actually prefer the newer wedges. Don't notice much difference around greens and i don't spin balls back 10yds and have to take them out of play
Ping G LS Tec 10 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
Callaway Epic Subzero 14 w/Rogue Max 75
Callaway Steelhead XR 18 w/S300
Callaway Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
Callaway MD Forged 52,56,60 w/S300
SGC NorthWood Center Shaft 400g

8

#9 Medic

Medic

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,329 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132567
  • Joined: 07/08/2011
  • Location:Florida
  • Handicap:9.1
GolfWRX Likes : 7998

Posted 15 April 2018 - 08:39 PM

In my experience the higher quality balls scuff up more easily than the other qualities. I love Chrome Softs - but I go into things knowing that if I hit a full LW the ball is going to end up looking like I ran sandpaper across it.

Like another member said I haven't noticed any real difference in playability. I just keep on beating them up knowing that the average life expectancy for one of my golf balls is under a round anyway. Many perish by drowning.....
Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Apex CF16 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Slate 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Odyssey Versa 9 34"
Callaway Chrome Soft

9

#10 canthitathreewood

canthitathreewood

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 479510
  • Joined: 08/19/2017
  • Location:Kansas
  • Handicap:0
  • Ebay ID:tocliffor1
GolfWRX Likes : 225

Posted 15 April 2018 - 08:39 PM

I have this issue as well.  I do carry non-conforming wedges, old Vokeys and Cleveland 588's. I have found that you can use a small, fine grit, sanding sponge remove the "scales".  It works quite well, it's better than throwing away brand new golf balls due to one solid wedge shot.

Play Hard!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 rawdog

rawdog

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424320
  • Joined: 05/08/2016
  • Location:Cleveland, OH
  • Handicap:8.6
  • Ebay ID:staghornsandmore
GolfWRX Likes : 2147

Posted 15 April 2018 - 08:51 PM

View PostMedic, on 15 April 2018 - 08:39 PM, said:

In my experience the higher quality balls scuff up more easily than the other qualities. I love Chrome Softs - but I go into things knowing that if I hit a full LW the ball is going to end up looking like I ran sandpaper across it.

Like another member said I haven't noticed any real difference in playability. I just keep on beating them up knowing that the average life expectancy for one of my golf balls is under a round anyway. Many perish by drowning.....

"Y'know, by the end of that first dawn... lost a hundred men. I dunno how many sharks. Maybe a thousand. I dunno how many men, they averaged six an hour."
Cobra LTD Driver
Aldila Rogue Black, 9.5* @44.5"
In1Zone Single Length Fairway Woods

Graffaloy ProLaunch Axis Blue @41.5" 5W = 19*
Graffaloy ProLaunch Axis Blue @41.5" 7W = 23*
Cobra F7 One Length Irons
Nippon Modus 105 Stiff @ 36.5"
6I = 24*   7I = 29*   8I = 34*   9I = 39*   PW = 44*   GW = 49*   SW = 54*   LW = 59*
Odyssey #9 HT Metal X Milled @33.5"
Maxfli SoftFli

11

#12 ThinkingPlus

ThinkingPlus

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 449758
  • Joined: 12/24/2016
  • Location:South Texas
  • Handicap:0.0
GolfWRX Likes : 1109

Posted 15 April 2018 - 08:58 PM

View Postrawdog, on 15 April 2018 - 08:51 PM, said:

View PostMedic, on 15 April 2018 - 08:39 PM, said:

In my experience the higher quality balls scuff up more easily than the other qualities. I love Chrome Softs - but I go into things knowing that if I hit a full LW the ball is going to end up looking like I ran sandpaper across it.

Like another member said I haven't noticed any real difference in playability. I just keep on beating them up knowing that the average life expectancy for one of my golf balls is under a round anyway. Many perish by drowning.....

"Y'know, by the end of that first dawn... lost a hundred men. I dunno how many sharks. Maybe a thousand. I dunno how many men, they averaged six an hour."
USS Indianapolis...quite horrifying.
Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 9° w/Project X HZRDUS T800 65 gm 6.0 flex
3W: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Evenflow 5.5 Graphite R-flex
Hybrids: Callaway Apex 3h, 4h w/MR Kuro Kage 80HY S-flex
Irons: Maltby TS-1 5i w/UST Recoil 680 F4, Callaway Apex 6i - 9i, AW w/UST Recoil 680 F4, Maltby TS-1 PW w/ UST Recoil 680 F4
Sand Wedge: Mizuno S5 54/08 w/True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex
Lob Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM5 58/07 w/True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex
Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X w/Super Stroke Mid Slim 2.0
Ball: Titleist AVX in yellow

12

#13 rawdog

rawdog

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424320
  • Joined: 05/08/2016
  • Location:Cleveland, OH
  • Handicap:8.6
  • Ebay ID:staghornsandmore
GolfWRX Likes : 2147

Posted 15 April 2018 - 09:01 PM

View PostThinkingPlus, on 15 April 2018 - 08:58 PM, said:

View Postrawdog, on 15 April 2018 - 08:51 PM, said:

View PostMedic, on 15 April 2018 - 08:39 PM, said:

In my experience the higher quality balls scuff up more easily than the other qualities. I love Chrome Softs - but I go into things knowing that if I hit a full LW the ball is going to end up looking like I ran sandpaper across it.

Like another member said I haven't noticed any real difference in playability. I just keep on beating them up knowing that the average life expectancy for one of my golf balls is under a round anyway. Many perish by drowning.....

"Y'know, by the end of that first dawn... lost a hundred men. I dunno how many sharks. Maybe a thousand. I dunno how many men, they averaged six an hour."
USS Indianapolis...quite horrifying.
"I'll never put on a life jacket again."
Cobra LTD Driver
Aldila Rogue Black, 9.5* @44.5"
In1Zone Single Length Fairway Woods

Graffaloy ProLaunch Axis Blue @41.5" 5W = 19*
Graffaloy ProLaunch Axis Blue @41.5" 7W = 23*
Cobra F7 One Length Irons
Nippon Modus 105 Stiff @ 36.5"
6I = 24*   7I = 29*   8I = 34*   9I = 39*   PW = 44*   GW = 49*   SW = 54*   LW = 59*
Odyssey #9 HT Metal X Milled @33.5"
Maxfli SoftFli

13

#14 ThinkingPlus

ThinkingPlus

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 449758
  • Joined: 12/24/2016
  • Location:South Texas
  • Handicap:0.0
GolfWRX Likes : 1109

Posted 15 April 2018 - 09:05 PM

View Postrawdog, on 15 April 2018 - 09:01 PM, said:

View PostThinkingPlus, on 15 April 2018 - 08:58 PM, said:

View Postrawdog, on 15 April 2018 - 08:51 PM, said:

View PostMedic, on 15 April 2018 - 08:39 PM, said:

In my experience the higher quality balls scuff up more easily than the other qualities. I love Chrome Softs - but I go into things knowing that if I hit a full LW the ball is going to end up looking like I ran sandpaper across it.

Like another member said I haven't noticed any real difference in playability. I just keep on beating them up knowing that the average life expectancy for one of my golf balls is under a round anyway. Many perish by drowning.....

"Y'know, by the end of that first dawn... lost a hundred men. I dunno how many sharks. Maybe a thousand. I dunno how many men, they averaged six an hour."
USS Indianapolis...quite horrifying.
"I'll never put on a life jacket again."
She delivered the atomic bombs to Tinian.  The mission was so highly classified that no one knew how overdue she was after being sunk by a Japanese submarine.  Rescue efforts were way late.  Very sad.
Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 9° w/Project X HZRDUS T800 65 gm 6.0 flex
3W: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Evenflow 5.5 Graphite R-flex
Hybrids: Callaway Apex 3h, 4h w/MR Kuro Kage 80HY S-flex
Irons: Maltby TS-1 5i w/UST Recoil 680 F4, Callaway Apex 6i - 9i, AW w/UST Recoil 680 F4, Maltby TS-1 PW w/ UST Recoil 680 F4
Sand Wedge: Mizuno S5 54/08 w/True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex
Lob Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM5 58/07 w/True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex
Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X w/Super Stroke Mid Slim 2.0
Ball: Titleist AVX in yellow

14

#15 rawdog

rawdog

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424320
  • Joined: 05/08/2016
  • Location:Cleveland, OH
  • Handicap:8.6
  • Ebay ID:staghornsandmore
GolfWRX Likes : 2147

Posted 15 April 2018 - 09:09 PM

View PostThinkingPlus, on 15 April 2018 - 09:05 PM, said:

View Postrawdog, on 15 April 2018 - 09:01 PM, said:

View PostThinkingPlus, on 15 April 2018 - 08:58 PM, said:

View Postrawdog, on 15 April 2018 - 08:51 PM, said:

View PostMedic, on 15 April 2018 - 08:39 PM, said:

In my experience the higher quality balls scuff up more easily than the other qualities. I love Chrome Softs - but I go into things knowing that if I hit a full LW the ball is going to end up looking like I ran sandpaper across it.

Like another member said I haven't noticed any real difference in playability. I just keep on beating them up knowing that the average life expectancy for one of my golf balls is under a round anyway. Many perish by drowning.....

"Y'know, by the end of that first dawn... lost a hundred men. I dunno how many sharks. Maybe a thousand. I dunno how many men, they averaged six an hour."
USS Indianapolis...quite horrifying.
"I'll never put on a life jacket again."
She delivered the atomic bombs to Tinian.  The mission was so highly classified that no one knew how overdue she was after being sunk by a Japanese submarine.  Rescue efforts were way late.  Very sad.

Roger that. Was quoting from Jaws. Quint's speech is a classic.

Cobra LTD Driver
Aldila Rogue Black, 9.5* @44.5"
In1Zone Single Length Fairway Woods

Graffaloy ProLaunch Axis Blue @41.5" 5W = 19*
Graffaloy ProLaunch Axis Blue @41.5" 7W = 23*
Cobra F7 One Length Irons
Nippon Modus 105 Stiff @ 36.5"
6I = 24*   7I = 29*   8I = 34*   9I = 39*   PW = 44*   GW = 49*   SW = 54*   LW = 59*
Odyssey #9 HT Metal X Milled @33.5"
Maxfli SoftFli

15

#16 Jagpilotohio

Jagpilotohio

    Go Bucks!!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,953 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 395936
  • Joined: 09/14/2015
  • Location:Columbus, OH
  • Handicap:1.2
  • Ebay ID:Jagpilotohio
GolfWRX Likes : 4612

Posted 15 April 2018 - 09:26 PM


Stop it you two!  Stay on topic... We’re here to talk about shaved balls.
9.5* Cobra LTD,  Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
4-9 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X
Ping glide2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 stealth, Recoil Proto 125 F5
SM6 60-08 (at 61), S400 Black Onyx.
33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
Srixon Z-star XV

16



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors