Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

7 wood over a 4 hybrid


47 replies to this topic

#31 jdang307

jdang307

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 470498
  • Joined: 06/06/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:15 AM

View Postn_rones, on 16 April 2018 - 07:36 AM, said:

Lots of good points in this thread. Mostly comes down to personal preference and what your swing is like. My personal preference is I would never choose a 7 wood over a 4 hybrid but that's simply because i like hitting hybrids. I grew up hitting hybrids not woods so I've grown used to them. I didn't even carry a 3 wood until a few years ago. In that gap you are looking to fill seems like a 7W would work for you. Maybe even a shorted 7W would fill the gap nicely and be easier to hit.
I just started playing and for some reason, I can hit irons and woods, but hybrids are so hit and miss. Like my body doesn't know what it wants to do. I try to hit it like an iron, doesn't work. I have better success hitting it like a wood (M2 19 degree).

I won't rule it out forever. Looking for a hybrid that is more iron like, and I'll stick an iron shaft in it and see.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#32 n_rones

n_rones

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 449536
  • Joined: 12/21/2016
  • Location:New York
  • Handicap:6.1
GolfWRX Likes : 68

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:42 AM

View Postjdang307, on 16 April 2018 - 11:15 AM, said:

View Postn_rones, on 16 April 2018 - 07:36 AM, said:

Lots of good points in this thread. Mostly comes down to personal preference and what your swing is like. My personal preference is I would never choose a 7 wood over a 4 hybrid but that's simply because i like hitting hybrids. I grew up hitting hybrids not woods so I've grown used to them. I didn't even carry a 3 wood until a few years ago. In that gap you are looking to fill seems like a 7W would work for you. Maybe even a shorted 7W would fill the gap nicely and be easier to hit.
I just started playing and for some reason, I can hit irons and woods, but hybrids are so hit and miss. Like my body doesn't know what it wants to do. I try to hit it like an iron, doesn't work. I have better success hitting it like a wood (M2 19 degree).

I won't rule it out forever. Looking for a hybrid that is more iron like, and I'll stick an iron shaft in it and see.

I messed around with a callaway apex 4 hybrid last year before putting a 4 iron in the bag. I actually really struggled with it at first because i tend to hit my hybrids more like a wood and with the Apex it seemed more iron like to me and to hit it well i felt like i had to hit it like an iron.

Edited by n_rones, 16 April 2018 - 11:43 AM.

Callaway GBB Epic 10.5° Fuji Pro 62 Green
Callaway GBB Epic 15° Hzrdus Yellow 6.0 75
Callaway GBB Epic Hybrid 19° Recoil 780 F4
Callaway Apex CF16 4 iron Recoil 780 F4
Callaway Apex CF16 5-PW TT XP 95 S300
Cleveland CBX 50°
Cleveland RTX 3 CB 56°
Cleveland RTX 3 60°
Scotty Cameron California Monterey 1.5

2

#33 azgreg

azgreg

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40062
  • Joined: 09/28/2007
  • Location:Phoenix, Az
GolfWRX Likes : 195

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:48 AM

Add another to the 4W/7W/4H (4i) camp.

Edited by azgreg, 16 April 2018 - 04:17 PM.

Driver: TM R540
Fairways: TM V-Steel

Irons: Maltby TE Forged
Wedges: Acer XB Satin
Putter: Tiger Shark GW-3

3

#34 brew4eagle

brew4eagle

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,843 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 12175
  • Joined: 02/18/2006
  • Location:VA
  • Handicap:10
  • Ebay ID:jdbrewer
GolfWRX Likes : 492

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:55 AM

I have a barely used Callaway Steelhead 7 wood 20* I'd be willing to part with, PM me if interested
PING i20 10.5*
Adams a7 PNT 19*
Nike VR Forged Pro Combo 3-P
Vokey SM6 52.08F, 58.08M
Cameron Studio Select Newport

4

#35 BlkNGld

BlkNGld

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7518
  • Joined: 11/08/2005
  • Location:Northern California
GolfWRX Likes : 387

Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:13 PM

View Poststhazza, on 15 April 2018 - 11:53 AM, said:

Hey folks,

I'm thinking of getting a 7 wood to go between my 5 wood and 5 iron (19 and 22 degrees respectively).  I don't hit long irons or even the 5 iron too well but the 5 iron is handy for low punch shots.  I tend to hit with a shallow divot too and my swing speed is fairly slow.

From what I've read over the forum would I be right in thinking the 7 wood may be a better fit over a hybrid?  Nowhere to try a 7 wood out near me so I'll probably buy used if I'm going to give it a go.

Any tried and tested 7 woods or hybrids that may be better?

Is the 5 wood to 7 wood a good gap as I have a 4 wood too?

Cheers

7 woods are usually a 3 hybrid replacement.

For a 4h replacement, you're more likely looking at a 9 wood.

As you've seen there are a lot of 4wood, 7wood, 4hybrid users here.    That would suggest consider 5wood, 9wood, then 5(something) club.  

For a lower swing speed, a 5hybrid for the 5iron is a trade to consider.   There are pros that have made the same move.


5

#36 sthazza

sthazza

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 418198
  • Joined: 03/30/2016
  • Handicap:20
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:34 PM

Thanks very much for all the feedback so far, lots of 4 wood / 7 wood users out there that's for sure, some incorporating a 4 hybrid as well.

I'm in the UK so my only real option for used is ebay, 7 woods can be a bit few and far between, I suspect 9 woods might be even more so.

6

#37 zzyzxx33

zzyzxx33

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46767
  • Joined: 01/22/2008
  • Location:Bend, Or
GolfWRX Likes : 168

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:07 PM

How does the great big bertha heaven wood compare to the epic heaven wood? Is the Epic worth 2x the price of the big bertha, same shaft and same overall condition?
Thanks for your input.
Andrew

7

#38 gambit

gambit

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,857 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120529
  • Joined: 01/14/2011
  • Location:Bay Area
GolfWRX Likes : 812

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:22 PM

View PostHit em good, on 15 April 2018 - 04:36 PM, said:

I go 4w, 7w, 4h

FYI, 7w is a 3h distance, and maybe even a touch longer.

Same here.
Ping G400 LST w/ Tensei Orange v3 60TX
Taylormade Tour Issue 2016 M1 3HL and 5w (1* up) w/ Tensei Pro Blue 80TX
Adams Pro Mini 23* w/ AD-DI 85x
Muira CB57 5-P w/ Steelfiber i95
Miura New Wedge Series 51, 55, 59 w/ KBS Tour-V Wedge Shafts
Byron Morgan DH89 or 612

8

#39 jdang307

jdang307

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 470498
  • Joined: 06/06/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 16 April 2018 - 02:13 PM

View Postn_rones, on 16 April 2018 - 11:42 AM, said:

View Postjdang307, on 16 April 2018 - 11:15 AM, said:

View Postn_rones, on 16 April 2018 - 07:36 AM, said:

Lots of good points in this thread. Mostly comes down to personal preference and what your swing is like. My personal preference is I would never choose a 7 wood over a 4 hybrid but that's simply because i like hitting hybrids. I grew up hitting hybrids not woods so I've grown used to them. I didn't even carry a 3 wood until a few years ago. In that gap you are looking to fill seems like a 7W would work for you. Maybe even a shorted 7W would fill the gap nicely and be easier to hit.
I just started playing and for some reason, I can hit irons and woods, but hybrids are so hit and miss. Like my body doesn't know what it wants to do. I try to hit it like an iron, doesn't work. I have better success hitting it like a wood (M2 19 degree).

I won't rule it out forever. Looking for a hybrid that is more iron like, and I'll stick an iron shaft in it and see.

I messed around with a callaway apex 4 hybrid last year before putting a 4 iron in the bag. I actually really struggled with it at first because i tend to hit my hybrids more like a wood and with the Apex it seemed more iron like to me and to hit it well i felt like i had to hit it like an iron.
I'll take a look at those. Someone mentioned apex before.

9

#40 ian-500

ian-500

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139631
  • Joined: 09/21/2011
  • Location:Weymouth, UK
  • Handicap:16
GolfWRX Likes : 76

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:03 PM

View Poststhazza, on 16 April 2018 - 12:34 PM, said:

Thanks very much for all the feedback so far, lots of 4 wood / 7 wood users out there that's for sure, some incorporating a 4 hybrid as well.

I'm in the UK so my only real option for used is ebay, 7 woods can be a bit few and far between, I suspect 9 woods might be even more so.

I'm still waiting for a Divine Nine to come up on Ebay UK.

Driver: Callaway XR16 SZ 9.5* + Oban Kiyoshi HB 65 05, 45", MCC Plus 4.
FW: Callaway GBB 3w lofted to 16* + Fire Express 75x, 42", MCC Plus 4 Align.
FW: Callaway GBB Heavenwood lofted to 21* + Fire Express 75 Pro x, 41", MCC Plus 4 Align.
Irons: Srixon Z945 pw-8i/Z745 7i-4i + DG SL X100, Superstroke.
Wedges: Callaway V-Forged 64*.
Putter: Rife Barbados island.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#41 C-rad

C-rad

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,584 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 292245
  • Joined: 01/17/2014
  • Location:Quebec
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 311

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:33 PM

For those who carry both a 7w and a 4h, what are the static loft of each?
Titleist 915 d2
Titleist 915 f 16.5*
Titleist 915 h 18*

PIng i25 hybrid 22* pwr 90

project x L.Z 5.5:
Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
Titleist sm6 52.12f 58.10s

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag

11

#42 herdman

herdman

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 134989
  • Joined: 08/02/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 205

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:43 PM

View PostC-rad, on 16 April 2018 - 04:33 PM, said:

For those who carry both a 7w and a 4h, what are the static loft of each?

7 wood 21 degree
4 hybrid 24 degree

12

#43 BloctonGolf11

BloctonGolf11

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 376734
  • Joined: 05/20/2015
  • Location:West Blocton, AL
  • Handicap:8
  • Ebay ID:bdgreene
GolfWRX Likes : 108

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:49 PM

You can take my 7 wood out of my cold dead hands. My swing does not suit a hybrid and my 7 wood is one of the surest clubs in my bag.
Dad's Bag

D: Ping G30 10 degree, Aldila Reg Flex
3W, and 7W: Cleveland Black, Bassara, Lite Flex
5i - PW: Titleist AP1 716, DG XP90 Reg Flex
W: 48 Cleveland Rotex 3
W: 52 Cleveland Rotex 2
W: 56 Vokey SM6 F Grind
P: TP Mills Flat-T Proto/TP Mills Softtail/Nike Oven MC-07w Prototype
Ball: Srixon Q-Star

Son's Bag (8 years old)
D: Callaway XR16, Flynn Shaft (Set to 15.5)
3W: Cobra Biocell, Flynn Shaft (Set to 19.5)
4H: Cobra Biocell, Flynn Shaft (Set to 25)
5i-PW: US Kids Tour Series TS2
W: 52, 56 degree US Kids Tour Series TS2
P: Nike Ignite 006/US Kids Tour Sandhills/Odyssey 2-Ball XJ
Ball: Srixon Superfeel

13

#44 azgreg

azgreg

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40062
  • Joined: 09/28/2007
  • Location:Phoenix, Az
GolfWRX Likes : 195

Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:04 PM

View PostC-rad, on 16 April 2018 - 04:33 PM, said:

For those who carry both a 7w and a 4h, what are the static loft of each?
7W: 21° (215 yards)
4H: 23° (200 yards)
Driver: TM R540
Fairways: TM V-Steel

Irons: Maltby TE Forged
Wedges: Acer XB Satin
Putter: Tiger Shark GW-3

14

#45 gambit

gambit

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,857 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120529
  • Joined: 01/14/2011
  • Location:Bay Area
GolfWRX Likes : 812

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:45 PM

View PostC-rad, on 16 April 2018 - 04:33 PM, said:

For those who carry both a 7w and a 4h, what are the static loft of each?

4h (23*) ~ 210
7w (21*) ~ 225

Ping G400 LST w/ Tensei Orange v3 60TX
Taylormade Tour Issue 2016 M1 3HL and 5w (1* up) w/ Tensei Pro Blue 80TX
Adams Pro Mini 23* w/ AD-DI 85x
Muira CB57 5-P w/ Steelfiber i95
Miura New Wedge Series 51, 55, 59 w/ KBS Tour-V Wedge Shafts
Byron Morgan DH89 or 612

15

#46 C-rad

C-rad

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,584 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 292245
  • Joined: 01/17/2014
  • Location:Quebec
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 311

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:49 PM

View Postgambit, on 16 April 2018 - 10:45 PM, said:

View PostC-rad, on 16 April 2018 - 04:33 PM, said:

For those who carry both a 7w and a 4h, what are the static loft of each?

4h (23*) ~ 210
7w (21*) ~ 225
i have a 4h that is 22. And i just got a 7w which is 21. Im scared that these will go the same distance.
Titleist 915 d2
Titleist 915 f 16.5*
Titleist 915 h 18*

PIng i25 hybrid 22* pwr 90

project x L.Z 5.5:
Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
Titleist sm6 52.12f 58.10s

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag

16

#47 sthazza

sthazza

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 418198
  • Joined: 03/30/2016
  • Handicap:20
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 17 April 2018 - 12:33 AM

The head size and shaft length will be different though so you should get a gap

17

#48 jimsmithleeds

jimsmithleeds

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 172867
  • Joined: 04/04/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 17 April 2018 - 08:14 AM

I go 4 wood, Heaven Wood and 4 Hybrid. Heaven wood is 20 degrees, 4H is 22 but it's a new M4 and has a long shaft and a high launch. Gapping is perfect
Titleist 917D2 9.5 Diamana red R
Taylor Made M2 16.5 Diamana green R
Callaway Epic Heaven Wood Diamana green R
Srixon ZH65 22 degree Miyazaki Kaula 7 R
Srixon ZU65 5 Miyazaki Kaula 7 R
Srixon Z565 6-W Nippon NS Pro 950GH R
Mizuno S18 50/55/60
Bettinardi Studio Stock 3

18



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors