Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Course letting you play "a few holes?"/Pay per hole

64 replies to this topic

#31 dan360

dan360

Paisano

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,858 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8694
GolfWRX Likes : 6090

Posted 15 April 2018 - 03:07 PM

View PostFlyingLaw1, on 15 April 2018 - 03:04 PM, said:

View Postdan360, on 15 April 2018 - 03:02 PM, said:

View PostFlyingLaw1, on 15 April 2018 - 02:41 PM, said:

As far as ordering 1/4 of a steak.. Can you not order a 6 ounce steak just the same as a 16 ounce steak?  And the last time I ordered a lobster I picked out the size I wanted. There are even different sizes of beer.

Nor am I sure what my age has to do with it. I offered to pay to play for 3 holes of golf and when the man at the counter said no after trying to barter a deal, I dropped the issue and we went about our business. I was not mad, not upset about it, not did I expect him to allow me to do so. It just got me thinking that there was a potential way for the course to allow players to do so on a day that otherwise has little play. If I did not get that point across correctly in the original post I should have worded it differently. I have read the reasons against doing so and understand the arguments against it. I digress.

The honor system only works for people who are being watched.    It's much less problematic to police the people paying for 9 and trying to sneak in 18 than trying to figure out who paid for 3 and is actually playing 6, or 7, or 9.  

Think about the pain in the arse that is.  

And the junior rate is to promote juniors playing.  Not for adults.  SMH.

As I explained above... I didn't offer to pay the junior rate to get the junior rate to play 9 holes. The man at the counter said "there was not a button" in the computer that was for $5. The junior rate is $5. It was only a solution to him being able to take my 9 dollars. It had absolutely nothing to do with actually being treated as though I'm a junior.

I appreciate you feel you're deserving of special circumstance because you are honorable, but out of the billions of people in this world and the millions who play golf there are probably less than one school bus full who could actually be trusted in this circumstance 100% of the time.   Bad odds for the golf course.

As of 20APR2018

TaylorMade M1 '17 440 9° HZRDUS Yellow
TaylorMade M1 '17 3HL KuroKage
Mizuno MP-H5 Hitogami 1 iron Modus 120
Mizuno MP-59 3-PW S300 1 soft step +.5 2 flat
Mizuno MP-T11 54(bent to 52)/60 S300 +.5 1 flat
PING Anser Jim Wells tour 34"
Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis
OUUL h2oProof stand bag black

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 cubuffs

cubuffs

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2942
  • Ebay ID:phillbre
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 15 April 2018 - 03:07 PM

As far as ordering 1/4 of a steak.. Can you not order a 6 ounce steak just the same as a 16 ounce steak?  And the last time I ordered a lobster I picked out the size I wanted. There are even different sizes of beer.

Nor am I sure what my age has to do with it. I offered to pay to play for 3 holes of golf and when the man at the counter said no after trying to barter a deal, I dropped the issue and we went about our business. I was not mad, not upset about it, not did I expect him to allow me to do so. It just got me thinking that there was a potential way for the course to allow players to do so on a day that otherwise has little play. If I did not get that point across correctly in the original post I should have worded it differently. I have read the reasons against doing so and understand the arguments against it. I digress.

But having worked at a course, as I have in the past, you should know better. You know there are generally two rates, an 18 hole and a 9 hole rate.   Please tell me any course that has a pay as you play rate, as I know in all my years of golf I have surely never seen them.   You know the proposition, you’re either willing to pay or you’re not, and shouldn’t expect any special exceptions.

#33 FlyingLaw1

FlyingLaw1

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 468870
  • Handicap:1
GolfWRX Likes : 103

Posted 15 April 2018 - 03:14 PM

View Postcubuffs, on 15 April 2018 - 03:07 PM, said:

But having worked at a course, as I have in the past, you should know better. You know there are generally two rates, an 18 hole and a 9 hole rate.   Please tell me any course that has a pay as you play rate, as I know in all my years of golf I have surely never seen them.   You know the proposition, you’re either willing to pay or you’re not, and shouldn’t expect any special exceptions.

I did not expect any special exceptions. I offered. He declined, and that was it. The post was about offering a third--pay per hole--option and whether anyone else has done it/in favor of it. From the responses it seems as I'm the only person who has ever done it and I am the only person who would be in favor of such a policy.

I also changed the thread title to more accurately reflect my actual intention.

Edited by FlyingLaw1, 15 April 2018 - 03:18 PM.

GO DAWGS

#34 dan360

dan360

Paisano

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,858 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 03:46 PM

View PostFlyingLaw1, on 15 April 2018 - 03:14 PM, said:

I did not expect any special exceptions. I offered. He declined, and that was it. The post was about offering a third--pay per hole--option and whether anyone else has done it/in favor of it. From the responses it seems as I'm the only person who has ever done it and I am the only person who would be in favor of such a policy.

It's would be very difficult to prevent massive abuse of the process.
As of 20APR2018

#35 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

Love classic LPs!

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 13,702 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
GolfWRX Likes : 9828

Posted 15 April 2018 - 03:54 PM

View PostFlyingLaw1, on 15 April 2018 - 02:01 PM, said:

View PostHawkeye77, on 15 April 2018 - 01:19 PM, said:

Course 100% correct, and asking to be rung up as a junior because you are too cheap to pay any more was kind of bush league.

Next time I'm in a quality steakhouse I'll just offer 25% of the ribeye price and ask them to just bring me 1/4 portion, and see if I can buy 1/2 a beer on tap.

I wasn't asking to pay the junior rate. I was simply inquiring if there was a "button" the guy behind the desk could push that would allow him to take my money.

I guess you should change the original post:

I said "okay, can you just ring me in as a junior?" as the junior rate for 9 holes is $5. His response was "I can't do that either since you're not a junior."

Edited by Hawkeye77, 15 April 2018 - 03:55 PM.

#36 FlyingLaw1

FlyingLaw1

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 04:15 PM

View PostHawkeye77, on 15 April 2018 - 03:54 PM, said:

View PostFlyingLaw1, on 15 April 2018 - 02:01 PM, said:

View PostHawkeye77, on 15 April 2018 - 01:19 PM, said:

Course 100% correct, and asking to be rung up as a junior because you are too cheap to pay any more was kind of bush league.

Next time I'm in a quality steakhouse I'll just offer 25% of the ribeye price and ask them to just bring me 1/4 portion, and see if I can buy 1/2 a beer on tap.

I wasn't asking to pay the junior rate. I was simply inquiring if there was a "button" the guy behind the desk could push that would allow him to take my money.

I guess you should change the original post:

I said "okay, can you just ring me in as a junior?" as the junior rate for 9 holes is $5. His response was "I can't do that either since you're not a junior."

I won't change it because that wouldn't be what I said. My intent was to literally find a button on the computer that was for an amount that was $5 since part of what he had told me was there was "not a button" that allowed him to do so. Since I knew the junior 9 hole rate is $5 I suggested that; any button that was for $5 would have worked. When he said it was only for Juniors I said "that's the only thing I knew that was $5, but that's alright it never hurts to ask." He said sorry I just don't think we allow that. I said thank you and we cordially went our separate ways.

As far as paying to play per hole... I did a quick google search and its not even a new idea. Here are a couple of articles on the very subject, seems there is a company who sells golf by the hole.

Time for just few holes? There's app for that - Morning Read

Edited by FlyingLaw1, 15 April 2018 - 04:15 PM.

GO DAWGS

#37 FlyingLaw1

FlyingLaw1

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 04:20 PM

View Postdan360, on 15 April 2018 - 03:46 PM, said:

But having worked at a course, as I have in the past, you should know better. You know there are generally two rates, an 18 hole and a 9 hole rate.   Please tell me any course that has a pay as you play rate, as I know in all my years of golf I have surely never seen them.   You know the proposition, you're either willing to pay or you're not, and shouldn't expect any special exceptions.

Believe me.. I know. The three city owned courses here only started selling beer last week. Until then they didn't allow outside alcohol but guess what filled every trash can on the course? Beer cans. Similarly, people paying to walk and then hopping on the cart with their playing companion after the first hole or people paying for 9 and playing 18. I've seen it all.
GO DAWGS

#38 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

Hall of Fame

• 9,696 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99408
GolfWRX Likes : 5746

Posted 15 April 2018 - 04:26 PM

OP asked for a deal and didn't get it. And walked away without a fuss.

While I agree with the majority or reasons why the course couldn't do it, it's no reason to blast the OP. Maybe he could have left rant out of it, but all he did was ask.

And as far as people being cheap and trying to get a bargain or save a buck, I'm sorry but NOONE, and I mean NOONE holds a candle to the baby boomers.
I've watched both my parents (78) and FIL (80) work people over $.50. Years saying "squeeze the nickel til the buffalo craps on the Indian" applies.

Tell him why you feel like you do, but no need to blast him.
Titleist 910 8.5
Titleist 910 15*
Titleist 910H 17*
2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
SC GoLo
Vokey SM5 52,58,62

#39 Londoner

Londoner

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483738
  • Handicap:14
  • Ebay ID:Woofwoof666
GolfWRX Likes : 726

Posted 15 April 2018 - 05:41 PM

View Postdeadsolid...shank, on 15 April 2018 - 04:26 PM, said:

While I agree with the majority or reasons why the course couldn't do it, it's no reason to blast the OP. Maybe he could have left rant out of it, but all he did was ask.

And as far as people being cheap and trying to get a bargain or save a buck, I'm sorry but NOONE, and I mean NOONE holds a candle to the baby boomers.
I've watched both my parents (78) and FIL (80) work people over $.50. Years saying "squeeze the nickel til the buffalo craps on the Indian" applies.

Wow. I hope you feel better after that. A few issues bubbling there.
Mizuno mp h5. 4-W KBS tour stiff 2 iron modus 3 stiff.
taylormade m2 Driver + hl 3 wood
ping anser
Titleist sm6 50 +54
Cleveland 60

#40 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

Hall of Fame

• 9,696 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 05:44 PM

View PostLondoner, on 15 April 2018 - 05:41 PM, said:

What issues?  An opinion and a lot of observation.

i don't feel any differently after that,  but thanks for asking.

Oh, and for what is worth, I'm a boomer.

Edited by deadsolid...shank, 15 April 2018 - 05:46 PM.

Titleist 910 8.5
Titleist 910 15*
Titleist 910H 17*
SC GoLo
Vokey SM5 52,58,62

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#41 Londoner

Londoner

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 05:47 PM

View Postdeadsolid...shank, on 15 April 2018 - 05:44 PM, said:

And maybe the odd stereotype.
ping anser
Titleist sm6 50 +54
Cleveland 60

#42 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

Hall of Fame

• 9,696 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 05:52 PM

View PostLondoner, on 15 April 2018 - 05:47 PM, said:

Where is the stereotype?  Since I'm basing my opinions on actual observations. You know, the ones based on almost 30 years in the retail business, dealing with people on price every day.

Edited by deadsolid...shank, 15 April 2018 - 05:55 PM.

Titleist 910 8.5
Titleist 910 15*
Titleist 910H 17*
SC GoLo
Vokey SM5 52,58,62

#43 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

Love classic LPs!

• 13,702 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 05:57 PM

I think he's coming out of this okay, but I called him cheap!

In a strange twist, he's changed the original post to playing 1, 17 and 18 (which is more more convenient for him, which I'm not sure how that really fits into any of this) but when he started the rant he said he was going to play the first 3 - oddly if he really offered to play parts of each 9 I'd think it would be a little more obvious to him why the course might have some reservations about that. He's said a few times he offered the $5, it was a no go and he left, but wait, he also offered $7 because that matched the price of a bucket of balls, then later it's no, offered the $5 he said thank you and left, so a little more going on here than just thank you and leaving.  I guess we are to assume $15 is the 9 hole price, so I'm going with that.

Haggling is a time honored tradition, I'm not against it (not real good at it, though, just ask the guy that sold me my wife's "new to her" vehicle last week). I just think if you are true to the code of only trying to get a little better deal you don't start a "rant" (although not much of one by wrx standards!), because there was no deal that came out the way you wanted. It's better luck next time and move on (no, I'm not really buying the suggestion he's really looking for info on courses that charge by the hole).

I doubt I'd pay $15 just to run out for 3 holes, so maybe "cheap" isn't part of the discussion and fair enough, but I do think youth, and not understanding the difference between what a course that employed him might do and this situation, plays a part here.

My course won't let me order 1/2 a beer for 1/2 the price of a beer, but I'd probably buy one and give 1/2 to the OP while he and I listen to our pro talk about golf course operations. (And my oldest daughter worked in the golf shop for several years, so I'm probably a little sensitive to the subject from behind the counter, lol).

Edited by Hawkeye77, 15 April 2018 - 06:02 PM.

#44 Londoner

Londoner

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 06:02 PM

View Postdeadsolid...shank, on 15 April 2018 - 05:52 PM, said:

Where is the stereotype?  Since I'm basing my opinions on actual observations. You know, the ones based on almost 30 years in the retail business, dealing with people on price every day.

You don't think calling a massive group, the baby boomers, cheap, is a stereotype?  Er, ok.
ping anser
Titleist sm6 50 +54
Cleveland 60

#45 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

Hall of Fame

• 9,696 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 06:11 PM

View PostHawkeye77, on 15 April 2018 - 05:57 PM, said:

In a strange twist, he's changed the original post to playing 1, 17 and 18 (which is more more convenient for him, which I'm not sure how that really fits into any of this) but when he started the rant he said he was going to play the first 3 - oddly if he really offered to play parts of each 9 I'd think it would be a little more obvious to him why the course might have some reservations about that. He's said a few times he offered the $5, it was a no go and he left, but wait, he also offered $7 because that matched the price of a bucket of balls, then later it's no, offered the $5 he said thank you and left, so a little more going on here than just thank you and leaving.  I guess we are to assume $15 is the 9 hole price, so I'm going with that.

Haggling is a time honored tradition, I'm not against it (not real good at it, though, just ask the guy that sold me my wife's "new to her" vehicle last week). I just think if you are true to the code of only trying to get a little better deal you don't start a "rant" (although not much of one by wrx standards!), because there was no deal that came out the way you wanted. It's better luck next time and move on (no, I'm not really buying the suggestion he's really looking for info on courses that charge by the hole).

I doubt I'd pay $15 just to run out for 3 holes, so maybe "cheap" isn't part of the discussion and fair enough, but I do think youth, and not understanding the difference between what a course that employed him might do and this situation, plays a part here.

My course won't let me order 1/2 a beer for 1/2 the price of a beer, but I'd probably buy one and give 1/2 to the OP while he and I listen to our pro talk about golf course operations. (And my oldest daughter worked in the golf shop for several years, so I'm probably a little sensitive to the subject from behind the counter, lol).

Agree Hawkeye, that's why I said in my initial post that leaving the word rant out of it would have sounded better. A rant implies something upset you, and he really had no reason to be upset, he asked, they said no, end of story.

And he might well be cheap, that's no big deal. He'll, I'm way cheap. I just took exception to the statement that he must be a millennial because of his trying to get a discount (not your statement).  As to'if you're good at it or not, you might be surprised. I find the people I give the best deals to are the ones who aren't so good. Haggling can be a lot of fun when both sides stay at least somewhat reasonable. It's those who come in and ask for really crazy stuff or are very contentious and demanding who really don't get very far. I've had customers come and in and say "I'll pay this and not a damn dime more"!  I tell them "thanks for stopping, I hope you find what you're looking for".

Titleist 910 8.5
Titleist 910 15*
Titleist 910H 17*
SC GoLo
Vokey SM5 52,58,62

#46 dan360

dan360

Paisano

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,858 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 06:12 PM

View PostFlyingLaw1, on 15 April 2018 - 04:20 PM, said:

View Postdan360, on 15 April 2018 - 03:46 PM, said:

But having worked at a course, as I have in the past, you should know better. You know there are generally two rates, an 18 hole and a 9 hole rate.   Please tell me any course that has a pay as you play rate, as I know in all my years of golf I have surely never seen them.   You know the proposition, you're either willing to pay or you're not, and shouldn't expect any special exceptions.

Believe me.. I know. The three city owned courses here only started selling beer last week. Until then they didn't allow outside alcohol but guess what filled every trash can on the course? Beer cans. Similarly, people paying to walk and then hopping on the cart with their playing companion after the first hole or people paying for 9 and playing 18. I've seen it all.

It's unfortunate because I remember playing on my grandfather's club course as a very young junior, and MANY members going out from their house to tee up at the nearest tee, playing to the green outside their windows and calling it an evening.

Now, that same golf course requires all members to drive/walk/crawl/hobble down to the pro shop, and tee off from #1 or #10 only.    Why?  Too many jerk offs figured out if they just covertly hopped on to a teebox within walking distance of the public "nature path" they could play for free.

It sucks for the honest people but the minority has always ruined it for the majority.
As of 20APR2018

#47 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

Hall of Fame

• 9,696 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 06:15 PM

View PostLondoner, on 15 April 2018 - 06:02 PM, said:

View Postdeadsolid...shank, on 15 April 2018 - 05:52 PM, said:

You don't think calling a massive group, the baby boomers, cheap, is a stereotype?  Er, ok.

You know, some stereotypes are based on real facts and are true. Does England have a similar breakdown for generations?
Titleist 910 8.5
Titleist 910 15*
Titleist 910H 17*
SC GoLo
Vokey SM5 52,58,62

#48 FlyingLaw1

FlyingLaw1

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 06:24 PM

View PostHawkeye77, on 15 April 2018 - 05:57 PM, said:

My course won't let me order 1/2 a beer for 1/2 the price of a beer, but I'd probably buy one and give 1/2 to the OP while he and I listen to our pro talk about golf course operations.

Just for clarification... I said to the guy in the proshop holes 1,17,18; playing 1,2,3 would put you far from the proshop. I misspoke in my original post I didn't think the exact holes would really matter as much as it apparently does. You can see all three holes (and 16 green) from the proshop so it was clear I was not going to be interfering with anyones round. The discussion around the $5 has been because several of the posts have accused me of trying to pay the junior rate. I mentioned paying for a bucket in passing to give him a "button" to push on the computer; the point was I offered to pay something and ended up not. The entire discussion with him was over and done in about 15 seconds. Much better than the guy I watched cuss the proshop attendant out for not having a "replay" rate.

Incidentally, I used to pay to play the first 5 holes of a course as you had to walk past the proshop to get from 5 green to 6 tee. The guy in the proshop took out a calculator, figured what a cost per hole would be based on the 9 hole rate and charge me that. I only did it a couple of times but it was greatly appreciated and the guy in the proshop was happy to accommodate. But that is really beside the point.

As far as the "rant." I'm not ranting about not being able to play 3 holes. The rant was about the unwillingness of a course that is hurting for play to accept payment for the three holes. Something that we have debated. I understand why a course would not want to allow that but golf is not exactly booming right now....

Edited by FlyingLaw1, 15 April 2018 - 07:21 PM.

GO DAWGS

#49 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

Love classic LPs!

• 13,702 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 06:25 PM

UK knows millennials! https://www.huffingt...ws/millennials/

#50 crazy8golfer

crazy8golfer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 208081
  • Handicap:7
  • Ebay ID:slk320-pmi
GolfWRX Likes : 427

Posted 15 April 2018 - 06:58 PM

View Postherbygolf21, on 15 April 2018 - 11:56 AM, said:

Course was 100% correct on this one.  Sorry,  but there are 9 and 18 hole rates.  You are not a junior,  so that doesn't  apply.  

It's about treating everyone the same.  What happens if you play 1-3 very quickly sand decided to play #4 just to use up the time? Are you going to run in and pay an extra $1.50?

Just need to suck it up in this case.
Well I hate to inform you, but courses and clubs don't treat everyone the same.It would be nice if that were the case, but it's not. Clubs have all kind of different rates, different dues, some pay carts fees, some don't, some pay for range ball and others don't. Yep, most people just have to suck it up!

TaylorMade M1 Driver 10.5*, Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6S
TaylorMade R15 TP Driver 10.5*, Fujikura Pro 63 Stiff
Titleist 913F-d 3 Wood 13*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ-5S
TaylorMade SLDR 4H 21*, Fujikura Speeder 82H Stiff
TaylorMade M2 Irons, 3 - PW, KBS Tour C-Taper 90 Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM5 Raw Black Wedge, 50.08* F Grind KBS Stiff
Titliest Vokey SM5 Wedge, 56.10* M Grind True Temper Stiff
Titliest Vokey SM5 Wedge, 60.04* L Grind True Temper Stiff
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1.5, 34"
Scotty Cameron Classic Newport 2.5, 34" w/ Te I3 Stamp. Limited Edition

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#51 crazy8golfer

crazy8golfer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 208081
  • Handicap:7
  • Ebay ID:slk320-pmi
GolfWRX Likes : 427

Posted 15 April 2018 - 07:05 PM

View Postphil75070, on 15 April 2018 - 12:43 PM, said:

It would be like asking a course to make an exception and allow a fivesome out because "we play fast". Problem is, once they are seen then everyone wants to be able to have the same privilege.
Played behind a fivesome yesterday and they only had 3 bags. I questioned the ranger which in turn called the pro shop, the answer that the ranger got was "we are too busy to worry about this right now. 5 hrs and 15 min later we finished our round. Sometime you have to suck it up!

Edited by crazy8golfer, 15 April 2018 - 07:20 PM.

TaylorMade M1 Driver 10.5*, Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6S
TaylorMade R15 TP Driver 10.5*, Fujikura Pro 63 Stiff
Titleist 913F-d 3 Wood 13*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ-5S
TaylorMade SLDR 4H 21*, Fujikura Speeder 82H Stiff
TaylorMade M2 Irons, 3 - PW, KBS Tour C-Taper 90 Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM5 Raw Black Wedge, 50.08* F Grind KBS Stiff
Titliest Vokey SM5 Wedge, 56.10* M Grind True Temper Stiff
Titliest Vokey SM5 Wedge, 60.04* L Grind True Temper Stiff
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1.5, 34"
Scotty Cameron Classic Newport 2.5, 34" w/ Te I3 Stamp. Limited Edition

#52 md1m

md1m

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 313547
GolfWRX Likes : 333

Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:03 AM

Didn't have time to read every post, so hopefully this hasn't been covered already, but wondering what the membership rate is at the public course. I have a sweet deal where I can play golf sometimes at the course in town that is 20 minutes away, but am seriously considering becoming a member at the course that is 4 minutes from my house. I drive right by it every day, and would walk/run 3 or 4 holes at a time on a regular basis. Both courses are decent public courses, so the membership isn't going to break me. If I buy a membership, I'll never have to worry about it. I can play 18 or I can play 1 hole.

Sounds like this would solve everything OP.
Clubs are fluid

#53 tobybear

tobybear

Major Winner

• 1,181 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3496
GolfWRX Likes : 352

Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:56 AM

I appear to be in the minority but I agree with the OP and his request.

I see if from both sides, in the fact that there are things to keep track of and a small amount of money for playing is better than say sneaking on.

This is the exact reason I personally want to join a course that way I can just play what I want, but I dont understand why some courses wouldn't allow this depending on the tee sheet.

#54 Ryan3773

Ryan3773

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 494220
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:00 AM

We have a course up where I live that has a three hole loop. They’re nothing like the real course, but if you buy balls for the range you can get on and play them as much as you’d like. A nice way to practice stuff on the range then try it for real.

As for the point of paying for 3 holes, I would love if courses did something like that. I could see myself playing 3-6 six at lunch or right after work.

#55 jjr

jjr

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 159147
GolfWRX Likes : 208

Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:37 PM

My .02$, I like the OP's idea, if the golf course is slow why not generate a bit of income. Surely it would be difficult to police and not for all courses.

It's truly disappointing that some of you decided to assume he was cheap because he wanted to pay $5 to play 3 holes!

#56 DrSchteeve

DrSchteeve

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,148 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3417
  • Handicap:12.9
  • Ebay ID:sstclairs
GolfWRX Likes : 689

Posted 16 April 2018 - 05:46 PM

The other thing missing from the discussion is the question of who it is at the course that the OP is asking for special consideration from. It sounds from the description that the person in the pro shop was just a staff member without any special title, standing, or responsibility.

Ask the general manager, or the club pro, for some special favor or consideration, and (s)he is in a position to grant it. Ask a staff member without management responsibility for the same and the staff member isn't in a position to set new club policy.
Callaway Epic Driver and 3 wood Matrix Red Tie 65Q4
Callaway GBB 3 wood clocked to 17 KK Silver Tini
Titleist 818 H1 3 Tensei Blue and 5 Tensei Red Hybrids
Titleist 816 AP1 6-GW Kuro Kage regular
Scratch DD 53 and 60
TM Tour Spider Day with Bettinardi spider CB long grip
OUUL stand bag
Titleist NXT Tour/Bridgestone E7

#57 bigmoneyp

bigmoneyp

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106403
GolfWRX Likes : 327

Posted 16 April 2018 - 05:54 PM

I've played many courses where they just charged me a "misc" charge of $4-8 to play a few holes.  I've negotiated the rate depending on how much time I have.  Hell there are some courses that have a money box that you just throw in come cash on the honor system to play during off season times.  It really just comes down to if the person behind the counter actually has any decision making ability or not.

Edited by bigmoneyp, 16 April 2018 - 05:55 PM.

#58 tatertot

tatertot

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87030
GolfWRX Likes : 2864

Posted 16 April 2018 - 05:57 PM

A lot of it comes down to who you're talking to at the cash register. If it's a mom and pop, and you're talking to the owner, sure, they'll deal with you. But you can't expect an employee to cut you a deal that's not on the "menu", they're not risking their job for you.
Riding Bag
Driver: Adams Speedline Fast 11, 9°
Fairway: Adams Fast 10, 15*
Driving Iron: TaylorMade RocketBallz, 3I
Irons: Cobra F7 One Length, 4I-PW
Wedges: Titleist SM7, 48º; Titleist SM5, 54º & 58º
Putter: Flanigan Designed By, 35"

Walking Bag
Driver: Adams XTD, 9º
Irons: Ping Eye2, 2I-PW
Putter: Cameron Mid Sur, 34"

#59 cristphoto

cristphoto

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,969 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42981
GolfWRX Likes : 584

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:18 PM

"Now the question is... I know if you're a member of a club you could probably play 3 holes no problem. But for those of you who play public courses have you ever tried to just play a few holes? Did they allow it? It seems very silly to me to not allow someone willing to pay to do so on a day a course is not busy. Just my $.02"

I've never heard of such a thing.  Plus what if when you turn to #17 there are players there?  If its the end of the day the back 9 is where most players would be. The easy answer is come out earlier and either pay a 9 hole or twi-lite rate.

#60 Dancin

Dancin

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 432936
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:05 PM

Haggling with what is basically an employee of a company is not going to work in the US. Unless you're talking to an owner (assuming it isn't a municipal) you aren't going to get anywhere if they don't officially offer that.

Some courses are starting to offer shorter rounds though. Coal Creek in Louisville, CO offers a 5 hole rate. It's a pretty unique situation though as they have a layout that returns to the clubhouse after the first 5 holes. There would unfortunately be liability issues if you had to walk out through some existing holes to get to whatever starting hole you wanted or to leave whatever ending hole you chose. I guarantee there would be a lawsuit the first time someone got hit by a ball if a course charged people for a shorter set of holes that required you to walk through other existing holes.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors