Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Course letting you play "a few holes?"/Pay per hole

64 replies to this topic

#1 FlyingLaw1

FlyingLaw1

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 468870
  • Handicap:1
GolfWRX Likes : 103

Posted 15 April 2018 - 11:51 AM

Kind of a rant kind of a question....

I used to work at a public golf course (well for a teaching pro, not the course itself). So I somewhat got used to being able to practice all I wanted but what was really nice if I only had time to play a few holes (think 3-5). They'd let me out and wouldn't charge me as I always walked when I did so.

Fast forward to the present day... Because of school and working during the week the last 5 years I've played almost all my rounds as either 9 or 18 holes at a time. Well on Thursday I finished work early and figured I'd go hit some balls at my local muni. Well about half way through the bucket I was hitting the ball better than I have been all spring, the weather was warm, and I'd only watched a couple of groups tee off (probably 2 in the half hour I'd been there). I only had about 30+ minutes but really wanted to see if what I was doing on the range would transfer to the course.

I walked up to the pro shop (there were no customers in it) and approached the counter and told the guy what my idea was--to play (edited) holes 1, 17, and 18 as 1 green is right by 17 tee. I asked him if it was okay to do so. I figured he'd have no problem with it since it was far from crowded. He said he didn't think he was allowed to do that. I said "No no that's find I'm happy to pay for whatever the three holes would be" as I expected to have to pay something.

An 18 hole walking rate on this particular course is $22 so I offered to pay $5 thinking that was fair for the amount of golf I expected to play. He said (and I quote) "No I'm going to have to charge you for 9 holes, there's not button in the computer that allows me to do that and we don't allow people out who haven't paid for 9 holes" I said "okay, can you just ring me in as a junior?" as the junior rate for 9 holes is $5. His response was "I can't do that either since you're not a junior." At this point I could tell this wasn't going anywhere. I decided to just finish my balls and go home.

Now the question is... I know if you're a member of a club you could probably play 3 holes no problem. But for those of you who play public courses have you ever tried to just play a few holes? Did they allow it? It seems very silly to me to not allow someone willing to pay to do so on a day a course is not busy. Just my $.02

Edited by FlyingLaw1, 15 April 2018 - 03:19 PM.

GO DAWGS

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 herbygolf21

herbygolf21

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31193
GolfWRX Likes : 576

Posted 15 April 2018 - 11:56 AM

Course was 100% correct on this one.  Sorry,  but there are 9 and 18 hole rates.  You are not a junior,  so that doesn't  apply.  

It's about treating everyone the same.  What happens if you play 1-3 very quickly sand decided to play #4 just to use up the time? Are you going to run in and pay an extra $1.50?

Just need to suck it up in this case.

Edited by herbygolf21, 15 April 2018 - 11:56 AM.

WITB:

Driver: Callaway Epic 9.0 turned to 10.0 N; with Rogue Max 75 X
3 Wood: Callaway XR Pro 3 w/ Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour Spec 7.2X)
5 Wood: Taylormade R15 18* w/ Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.2S
Irons: Herrbach Prototype TCG irons 3-PW w/ KBS Tour-V X flex
Wedges: Vokey SM5 54* and Callaway PM Grind 58* (Both with DG Spinner shafts)
Putter: Directed Force Reno at 34 inches and 66* lie angle (KBS Matte Black putter shaft)

Ball: Vice Pro+

#3 FlyingLaw1

FlyingLaw1

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 12:04 PM

View Postherbygolf21, on 15 April 2018 - 11:56 AM, said:

Course was 100% correct on this one.  Sorry,  but there are 9 and 18 hole rates.  You are not a junior,  so that doesn't  apply.  

It's about treating everyone the same.  What happens if you play 1-3 very quickly sand decided to play #4 just to use up the time? Are you going to run in and pay an extra $1.50?

Just need to suck it up in this case.

I'll respectfully disagree. I'll happily run in and pay the extra money (I've done so before in the past at a different course). If I were planning on playing more than 4 or 5 holes I would just pay the fee for 9. The public courses in our area are really hurting for play as well (two have actually closed). I would think they would jump at the chance to have more money coming in--so instead of them getting an extra $5 (or what we would have actually agreed upon) they simply didn't. And again, I would not ask to do so on a weekend or if the course was busy; only days there isn't much play. I know what I wanted to do is "non-standard" so I'm not complaining about it per se. I just think if a customer only has time to play a few holes on a day that is dead a course would do well to offer/allow them to do so.
GO DAWGS

#4 tokeyb

tokeyb

Gonna get better

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 426358
  • Handicap:10.3
GolfWRX Likes : 67

Posted 15 April 2018 - 12:23 PM

Nah, I'm with Herby on this one. Guy at the desk doesn't make the rules, can't give discounts to his buddies, doesn't want to risk his job, etc.

Sounds like you had a sweet deal for a while, but this is standard. Hope you find more time to play soon, maybe can build the relationships that would make this work in the future.

(And I'm also jealous of members of clubs where they can just roll out and play a few.)
Titleist 910 9.5*
Titleist 913f 17*
TM Burner Rescue 5 (24*)
Ping i200 (4-9)
Scratch 8820 (47*, 53*, 58*)
Odyssey White Hot Rx 9, Tour Snsr 140cc
Project(a) in 2017, looking in 2018
Right at single digits - gonna get better

#5 ChipDriver

ChipDriver

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,053 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105907
GolfWRX Likes : 753

Posted 15 April 2018 - 12:26 PM

View PostFlyingLaw1, on 15 April 2018 - 11:51 AM, said:

Kind of a rant kind of a question....

I used to work at a public golf course (well for a teaching pro, not the course itself). So I somewhat got used to being able to practice all I wanted but what was really nice if I only had time to play a few holes (think 3-5). They'd let me out and wouldn't charge me as I always walked when I did so.

Fast forward to the present day... Because of school and working during the week the last 5 years I've played almost all my rounds as either 9 or 18 holes at a time. Well on Thursday I finished work early and figured I'd go hit some balls at my local muni. Well about half way through the bucket I was hitting the ball better than I have been all spring, the weather was warm, and I'd only watched a couple of groups tee off (probably 2 in the half hour I'd been there). I only had about 30+ minutes but really wanted to see if what I was doing on the range would transfer to the course.

I walked up to the pro shop (there were no customers in it) and approached the counter and told the guy what my idea was--to play the first three holes. I asked him if it was okay to do so. I figured he'd have no problem with it since it was far from crowded. He said he didn't think he was allowed to do that. I said "No no that's findeI'm happy to pay for whatever the three holes would be" as I expected to have to pay something.

An 18 hole walking rate on this particular course is $22 so I offered to pay $5 thinking that was fair for the amount of golf I expected to play. He said (and I quote) "No I'm going to have to charge you for 9 holes, there's not button in the computer that allows me to do that and we don't allow people out who haven't paid for 9 holes" I said "okay, can you just ring me in as a junior?" as the junior rate for 9 holes is $5. His response was "I can't do that either since you're not a junior." At this point I could tell this wasn't going anywhere. I decided to just finish my balls and go home.

Now the question is... I know if you're a member of a club you could probably play 3 holes no problem. But for those of you who play public courses have you ever tried to just play a few holes? Did they allow it? It seems very silly to me to not allow someone willing to pay to do so on a day a course is not busy. Just my $.02

What makes you happy - doesn't seem to make them happy.  Go find another course or join a club - or suck it up and pay for 9.

I live in the DC area - and no public courses offer a "pay only for what you play"/per hole rate.  Maybe we're all snobs.

Beer and soda are often sold in 6 and 12 packs.   Sometimes I'd rather only drink 3 or 3.5 tops - so I feel your pain.  :)

Edited by ChipDriver, 15 April 2018 - 12:28 PM.

#6 fawley

fawley

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3167
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 230

Posted 15 April 2018 - 12:27 PM

There are a bunch of practical reasons (monitoring how many holes people play, sending out and prioritizing groups wanting to play different numbers of holes,having people finish on a hole far away from the clubhouse etc) that make effectively implementing something like this unlikely to be implemented at most public golf courses.

Iím the meantime, if you want the flexibility of playing a few holes whenever you want to, you probably need to join a private club.

#7 phil75070

phil75070

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1580
GolfWRX Likes : 118

Posted 15 April 2018 - 12:43 PM

It would be like asking a course to make an exception and allow a fivesome out because "we play fast". Problem is, once they are seen then everyone wants to be able to have the same privilege.

#8 huddledtoast

huddledtoast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424790
GolfWRX Likes : 69

Posted 15 April 2018 - 12:48 PM

Agree with everyone else... you got lucky for a few years. Also, with an 18 hole rate of $22, I can assume 9 would be like $15..... why didn't you just pay the $15 and see how many you could get done? It's not like it's a $130 green fee or something.

This makes me appreciate being a member at a private club, where I can just go play anytime there's not someone on the tee box. (i.e. basically any weeknight that isn't mens night)

Edited by huddledtoast, 15 April 2018 - 12:49 PM.

#9 marmooskapaul

marmooskapaul

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13039
GolfWRX Likes : 462

Posted 15 April 2018 - 01:02 PM

I would have just paid for 9...good night they have to make a little money.

#10 chris975d

chris975d

Tour Winner

• 927 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 404098
  • Ebay ID:jscott8307
GolfWRX Likes : 792

Posted 15 April 2018 - 01:02 PM

View Postphil75070, on 15 April 2018 - 12:43 PM, said:

It would be like asking a course to make an exception and allow a fivesome out because "we play fast". Problem is, once they are seen then everyone wants to be able to have the same privilege.

As a course operator/manager myself, I was going to post something along these lines.  One issue, as has already been posted, is logistics/regulation of allowing customers to pay and play a non-standard rate and number of holes (something other than a 9 or 18 hole rate).  Now it may take more staff to make sure that players aren't taking advantage of this...paying for "4" holes, but once they are out and away from the proshop, playing 6, 8, 9, etc.  Say the 4th hole finishes up some distance from the clubhouse...now the person feels justified in "playing in", since they have to walk those holes to get back to the proshop anyway.

Another issue is the one mentioned in the post I quoted.  Even though you can explain this to customers until you're blue in the face, as course management you can bet your life that the minute you allow exceptions to be made/discretion to come into the equation (like with the 5some example above) and try to do customers a favor(s), those exceptions/favors WILL almost always bite you in the rear later.  I've experienced this time and time again allowing just that...5somes on slow weekday afternoons.  Either someone else sees it, and shows up on a packed Saturday wanting to do the same because they saw it last Wednesday, or that same group that you allowed to play as 5 on a slow Wednesday afternoon (and fully explained that the only reason you were allowing it was because it was slow that day and can't be done on busy days) lays into you and your staff when you won't let them do the same thing on a packed course Saturday.

Also, as a course operator/manager, I really don't want my proshop staff having that level of discretion in pricing.  Mainly for the reasons above.  Once that discretion starts getting used, things can get out of hand in policing it rather quickly.  Their friends may start getting charged for "4 or 5" holes when they play 9, 18, etc.  Things like this can quickly turn into a mess, and it would ultimately be my fault for allowing it.  

To the OP, I'm not hinting or suggesting that you would be a person to fall into any of the categories of customers I've mentioned above, as I don't know you.  And lots of people don't abuse or try to game the system.  But it's the relatively few people that do (as with anything, really) abuse and try to find loopholes in things that mess it up for everyone else.  But unless the course has a specific layout that would allow for easy monitoring of play from the proshop, some way to keep track of where golfers are on the course and how many holes they've played, or is in a position to have the staffing level to be on-course monitoring it, it's just opening up a larger can of worms in doing something like this than it is more than likely worth.

Edited by chris975d, 15 April 2018 - 01:05 PM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

Love classic LPs!

• 13,694 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
GolfWRX Likes : 9824

Posted 15 April 2018 - 01:19 PM

Course 100% correct, and asking to be rung up as a junior because you are too cheap to pay any more was kind of bush league.

Next time I'm in a quality steakhouse I'll just offer 25% of the ribeye price and ask them to just bring me 1/4 portion, and see if I can buy 1/2 a beer on tap.

Edited by Hawkeye77, 15 April 2018 - 01:22 PM.

#12 TheFatTick

TheFatTick

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129528
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 215

Posted 15 April 2018 - 01:40 PM

You choose to play a sport as expensive as golf as a hobby, but are too cheap to drop $12 to accommodate a 9 hole fee because you may not complete all nine holes?

Pay the $$ and have fun for the four holes you play. You got a bargain as it is - be glad you can both play and support your local muni.

#13 Jagpilotohio

Jagpilotohio

Wish I could Putt...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,867 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 395936
  • Handicap:2.3
  • Ebay ID:Jagpilotohio
GolfWRX Likes : 2371

Posted 15 April 2018 - 01:49 PM

I’ll chime in.  I used to work as an assistant pro.  9 hole rate or nothing.  As all the other posts indicate, Anything else is going to CERTAINLY become a problem in the future for the staff.

Im long out of the business now, but I have often done what OP suggests however after hitting balls or putting for a while.   If it’s quite late and only an hour or so left of light the folks in the shop are getting ready to close and  generally just say “go for it”, but it does depend on who is working.  I don’t expect anything, so if someone I don’t know is working and they say no, I certainly don’t give them any problem about it. I’m a regular and most of them know me so 3 or 4 holes occasionally just before dark is usually fine.
10.5* Titleist 917 D3, KKDC 70 TX,  43.5"
14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5"
19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
4-9 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X
Ping glide2 46-12, 50-12,
SM6 56-14 F (at 55), SM7 60-12 D (at 59)
all Wedges recoil Prototype 125 F5's
33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
Srixon Z-star XV

#14 Tight-right

Tight-right

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 482596
  • Handicap:4.1
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 15 April 2018 - 02:00 PM

The op must be a millennial.

#15 FlyingLaw1

FlyingLaw1

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 02:01 PM

Hawkeye77, on 15 April 2018 - 01:19 PM, said:

Course 100% correct, and asking to be rung up as a junior because you are too cheap to pay any more was kind of bush league.

Next time I'm in a quality steakhouse I'll just offer 25% of the ribeye price and ask them to just bring me 1/4 portion, and see if I can buy 1/2 a beer on tap.

I wasn't asking to pay the junior rate. I was simply inquiring if there was a "button" the guy behind the desk could push that would allow him to take my money. I also offered to pay for a small bucket of range balls ($7) and do the same.

TheFatTick, on 15 April 2018 - 01:40 PM, said:

You choose to play a sport as expensive as golf as a hobby, but are too cheap to drop $12 to accommodate a 9 hole fee because you may not complete all nine holes?

Pay the $$ and have fun for the four holes you play. You got a bargain as it is - be glad you can both play and support your local muni.

Paying $5 per hole to play 3 holes for a course that is normally $20 to play 18 is something I am not willing to do. I wasn't in this instance either thus I dropped the idea and went on my way.

I think many of you are misunderstanding my point. I'm not upset or mad that I didn't get what I wanted. My point was the public courses in my area are really hurting for play, I would think they would jump on any opportunity to have revenue; especially on a day there is otherwise very little play. Similar to the concept of paying for golf by the hour.

As far as me going on and playing more holes, which is a valid concern I suppose. Aside from me not being the kind of person who would do that... I was going to play Holes 1, 17, and 18. 17 tee is right by 1 green so I'd have made a loop and ended up right back by the club house.

GO DAWGS

#16 IcemanYVR

IcemanYVR

Amateur

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105885
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 523

Posted 15 April 2018 - 02:02 PM

This sounds like someone with a certain sense of entitlement. You had a sweet deal for a while, now your free ride is over. Suck it up and deal with it.

Sometimes I pay for nine holes or twilight if all I want to is go out and practice fairway bunker or green side bunker shots. I donít expect it for free because Iím technically not playing.
Titleist 913D2 9.5° | Callaway BBS2H2 3 Wood | Callaway BBS2H2 5 Wood | Mizuno JPX-825 Pro 4-GW | Cleveland 588 RTG Tour 54 | Cleveland 588 RTG Tour 60 | Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 Studio Style | Titleist Pro V1

#17 BIG STU

BIG STU

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,399 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 284204
  • Handicap:5.0
GolfWRX Likes : 24742

Posted 15 April 2018 - 02:07 PM

chris975d, on 15 April 2018 - 01:02 PM, said:

phil75070, on 15 April 2018 - 12:43 PM, said:

As a course operator/manager myself, I was going to post something along these lines.  One issue, as has already been posted, is logistics/regulation of allowing customers to pay and play a non-standard rate and number of holes (something other than a 9 or 18 hole rate).  Now it may take more staff to make sure that players aren't taking advantage of this...paying for "4" holes, but once they are out and away from the proshop, playing 6, 8, 9, etc.  Say the 4th hole finishes up some distance from the clubhouse...now the person feels justified in "playing in", since they have to walk those holes to get back to the proshop anyway.

Another issue is the one mentioned in the post I quoted.  Even though you can explain this to customers until you're blue in the face, as course management you can bet your life that the minute you allow exceptions to be made/discretion to come into the equation (like with the 5some example above) and try to do customers a favor(s), those exceptions/favors WILL almost always bite you in the rear later.  I've experienced this time and time again allowing just that...5somes on slow weekday afternoons.  Either someone else sees it, and shows up on a packed Saturday wanting to do the same because they saw it last Wednesday, or that same group that you allowed to play as 5 on a slow Wednesday afternoon (and fully explained that the only reason you were allowing it was because it was slow that day and can't be done on busy days) lays into you and your staff when you won't let them do the same thing on a packed course Saturday.

Also, as a course operator/manager, I really don't want my proshop staff having that level of discretion in pricing.  Mainly for the reasons above.  Once that discretion starts getting used, things can get out of hand in policing it rather quickly.  Their friends may start getting charged for "4 or 5" holes when they play 9, 18, etc.  Things like this can quickly turn into a mess, and it would ultimately be my fault for allowing it.  

To the OP, I'm not hinting or suggesting that you would be a person to fall into any of the categories of customers I've mentioned above, as I don't know you.  And lots of people don't abuse or try to game the system.  But it's the relatively few people that do (as with anything, really) abuse and try to find loopholes in things that mess it up for everyone else.  But unless the course has a specific layout that would allow for easy monitoring of play from the proshop, some way to keep track of where golfers are on the course and how many holes they've played, or is in a position to have the staffing level to be on-course monitoring it, it's just opening up a larger can of worms in doing something like this than it is more than likely worth.
Well stated and proper protocol.
Driver: Homna G1-X Homna stiff shaft
3 Wood Adams Super S 15* Bassara Regular flex
5 wood Adams Super S 18* Bassara Regular flex
Irons 3 thru PW 1982 Macgregor VIP Hogan #2 Apex shafts (yeah real Hogan shafts when Hogan was Hogan)
SW Cleveland 588 56* S-400
LW Cleveland 588 60* S-400
Putter - Scotty Santa Fe 1997 vintage rusty as heck nicknamed "Rusty"
Bag Old School Titleist Stand bag about 10 or 12 years old

Founding Father of the Outlaw Golf Association Member #1 To heck with the USGA
Redneck Hippie Golf-- When the tailgate drops the BS stops
Vintage for now
P-40 Macgregor Super Eye O Matic 2 wood
3 wood Macgregor 945W
1 iron 1967 Spalding Top Flite
Irons 3 thru PW 1990 Hogan Grind
SW-- 1965 Wilson Staff Triple Duty 56*
Putter (for now) Acushnet 35 R Standard Bulls Eye
Bag Old School Burton PGA / Pepsi red white and blue

#18 huddledtoast

huddledtoast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424790
GolfWRX Likes : 69

Posted 15 April 2018 - 02:09 PM

FlyingLaw1, on 15 April 2018 - 02:01 PM, said:

Paying $5 per hole to play 3 holes for a course that is normally $20 to play 18 is something I am not willing to do. I wasn't in this instance either thus I dropped the idea and went on my way.

I think many of you are misunderstanding my point. I'm not upset or mad that I didn't get what I wanted. My point was the public courses in my area are really hurting for play, I would think they would jump on any opportunity to have revenue; especially on a day there is otherwise very little play. Similar to the concept of paying for golf by the hour.

As far as me going on and playing more holes, which is a valid concern I suppose. Aside from me not being the kind of person who would do that... I was going to play Holes 1, 17, and 18. 17 tee is right by 1 green so I'd have made a loop and ended up right back by the club house.

No one's misunderstanding your point. They're just giving you a bunch of good reasons why the clubhouse didn't let you do what you wanted.

#19 2putttom

2putttom

# 1 Oregon Duck fan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,983 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 177144
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 4383

Posted 15 April 2018 - 02:17 PM

o p I'm thinking about trying your philosophy out at Red Lobster, I don't think I'll be successful but hey  :dntknw:
Tour Exotics E 10 15*
Adams CMB 4-6  MB2's 7-9 1 more season
Mizuno Mp 4 52 MP T7 56 &60
Bobby Grace Jericho II Tour S Bend
Oregon Ducks Bag

#20 FlyingLaw1

FlyingLaw1

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 02:18 PM

chris975d, on 15 April 2018 - 01:02 PM, said:

phil75070, on 15 April 2018 - 12:43 PM, said:

Thanks! i worked at the course I did every summer for 6 years and then as needed for another four. So believe me I understand how people act with regard to golf courses. That particular course was surrounded by houses and the residents were (well still are) using the course as a park; jogging, walking the dog, etc. There was also a huge problem with the residents of the houses walking on the course and practicing or playing for free.

As far as policing such an arrangement I understand where you are coming from. Was just an idea.

GO DAWGS

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 Smooth spin scott

Smooth spin scott

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8822
  • Ebay ID:golfer1135
GolfWRX Likes : 76

Posted 15 April 2018 - 02:25 PM

Some of you relax on the OP...he tried to get a deal for 3 holes and didn't....shouldn't be calling him cheap, sense of entitlement or a millennial.

He tried to get a deal for 3 holes and got some decent responses as to why they most likely refused... Acting like none of you have ever tried to get a deal on something or gone into a Proshop after a round and asked if it would be possible to play a few more hoping they'd say sure go ahead.

Yes I agree with many posts above, pay for 9 and play as many as you can...  I don't fault you for asking.
Driver -  M2
3 wood - 915f
Hybrids - Titleist 915 3/4
Irons - Mizuno MP18 MMC / Modus3 120 stiff.
Wedges - Vokey SM6 - 51, 56, 60
Whitlam/Gauge Design - Coldstar Devon ETBW
Bag - Sun Mountain C-130

Club - WoodenSticks Golf Club

#22 Londoner

Londoner

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483738
  • Handicap:14
  • Ebay ID:Woofwoof666
GolfWRX Likes : 725

Posted 15 April 2018 - 02:26 PM

View PostFlyingLaw1, on 15 April 2018 - 02:01 PM, said:

View PostHawkeye77, on 15 April 2018 - 01:19 PM, said:

I wasn't asking to pay the junior rate. I was simply inquiring if there was a "button" the guy behind the desk could push that would allow him to take my money. I also offered to pay for a small bucket of range balls ($7) and do the same.

View PostTheFatTick, on 15 April 2018 - 01:40 PM, said:

So you werent going to play the first 3,  you were going to play 1 then cut in. See the problem?
Mizuno mp h5. 4-W KBS tour stiff 2 iron modus 3 stiff.
taylormade m2 Driver + hl 3 wood
ping anser
Titleist sm6 50 +54
Cleveland 60

#23 FlyingLaw1

FlyingLaw1

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 02:34 PM

View PostLondoner, on 15 April 2018 - 02:26 PM, said:

View PostFlyingLaw1, on 15 April 2018 - 02:01 PM, said:

View PostHawkeye77, on 15 April 2018 - 01:19 PM, said:

View PostTheFatTick, on 15 April 2018 - 01:40 PM, said:

So you werent going to play the first 3,  you were going to play 1 then cut in. See the problem?

You're right. I misspoke in my original post. I told the man behind the counter 1, 17, and 18.
GO DAWGS

#24 FlyingLaw1

FlyingLaw1

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 02:41 PM

As far as ordering 1/4 of a steak.. Can you not order a 6 ounce steak just the same as a 16 ounce steak?  And the last time I ordered a lobster I picked out the size I wanted. There are even different sizes of beer.

Nor am I sure what my age has to do with it. I offered to pay to play for 3 holes of golf and when the man at the counter said no after trying to barter a deal, I dropped the issue and we went about our business. I was not mad, not upset about it, not did I expect him to allow me to do so. It just got me thinking that there was a potential way for the course to allow players to do so on a day that otherwise has little play. If I did not get that point across correctly in the original post I should have worded it differently. I have read the reasons against doing so and understand the arguments against it. I digress.
GO DAWGS

#25 wobgon

wobgon

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,745 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 54137
GolfWRX Likes : 4857

Posted 15 April 2018 - 02:50 PM

View Post2putttom, on 15 April 2018 - 02:17 PM, said:

o p I'm thinking about trying your philosophy out at Red Lobster, I don't think I'll be successful but hey  :dntknw:
Go to a buffet and say i don't like salad, or bread, or vegetables........Here's five bucks, I'm just going to grab some crab legs and prime rib.....After all, it is late and you are getting ready to close anyway.

#26 wobgon

wobgon

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,745 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 54137
GolfWRX Likes : 4857

Posted 15 April 2018 - 02:53 PM

There is nothing to understand here......They are a business.....They do not have a 3 hole rate.......Either 1. go home.....2. go to the bowling alley and see if they will let you bowl 3 frames, or..... 3. go home.

#27 DrSchteeve

DrSchteeve

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,146 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3417
  • Handicap:12.9
  • Ebay ID:sstclairs
GolfWRX Likes : 688

Posted 15 April 2018 - 02:54 PM

View PostFlyingLaw1, on 15 April 2018 - 02:41 PM, said:

As far as ordering 1/4 of a steak.. Can you not order a 6 ounce steak just the same as a 16 ounce steak?  And the last time I ordered a lobster I picked out the size I wanted. There are even different sizes of beer.

Not all restaurants have a 6 oz steak. But yes, there are different sizes of beer. However, pay by the hole is not on the menu.

So you posted your question, and no one agrees with you. Rather than continuing to argue your point, maybe you should accept that your idea doesn't jibe with what most consider reasonable and move on.

Edited by DrSchteeve, 15 April 2018 - 02:59 PM.

Callaway Epic Driver and 3 wood Matrix Red Tie 65Q4
Callaway GBB 3 wood clocked to 17 KK Silver Tini
Titleist 818 H1 3 Tensei Blue and 5 Tensei Red Hybrids
Titleist 816 AP1 6-GW Kuro Kage regular
Scratch DD 53 and 60
TM Tour Spider Day with Bettinardi spider CB long grip
OUUL stand bag
Titleist NXT Tour/Bridgestone E7

#28 FlyingLaw1

FlyingLaw1

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 02:59 PM

View Postwobgon, on 15 April 2018 - 02:53 PM, said:

There is nothing to understand here......They are a business.....They do not have a 3 hole rate.......Either 1. go home.....2. go to the bowling alley and see if they will let you bowl 3 frames, or..... 3. go home.

I dropped the question, finished my balls and went home. I offered a deal. The deal was not accepted and that was as far as I went with it. My post was about developing a course policy that would allow for a 3 hole rate, or 4 hole, or how ever many holes it would be.

View PostDrSchteeve, on 15 April 2018 - 02:54 PM, said:

Not all restaurants have a 6 oz steak. But yes, there are different sizes of beer. However, pay by the hole is not on the menu.

So you posted your question, and (almost) no one agrees with you. Rather than continuing to argue your point, maybe you should accept that your idea doesn't jibe with what most consider reasonable and move on.

That is what I did in my last post. I have fully accepted that no one liked my idea.

Edited by FlyingLaw1, 15 April 2018 - 03:02 PM.

GO DAWGS

#29 dan360

dan360

Paisano

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,857 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8694
GolfWRX Likes : 6084

Posted 15 April 2018 - 03:02 PM

Nor am I sure what my age has to do with it. I offered to pay to play for 3 holes of golf and when the man at the counter said no after trying to barter a deal, I dropped the issue and we went about our business. I was not mad, not upset about it, not did I expect him to allow me to do so. It just got me thinking that there was a potential way for the course to allow players to do so on a day that otherwise has little play. If I did not get that point across correctly in the original post I should have worded it differently. I have read the reasons against doing so and understand the arguments against it. I digress.

The honor system only works for people who are being watched.    It's much less problematic to police the people paying for 9 and trying to sneak in 18 than trying to figure out who paid for 3 and is actually playing 6, or 7, or 9.  

And the junior rate is to promote juniors playing.  Not for adults.  SMH.

Edited by dan360, 15 April 2018 - 03:06 PM.

As of 04APR2018

TaylorMade M1 '17 440 9° HZRDUS Yellow looks cool can't hit it well yet
TaylorMade M1 '17 3HL

Mizuno MP-H5 Hitogami 1 iron cheap thrills
TaylorMade P770 4-PW

Mizuno MP-T11 54(bent to 52)/60
PING Anser Jim Wells tour
Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis
PING Hoofer Lite electric blue

CaddyTek EZ push cart

#30 FlyingLaw1

FlyingLaw1

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 03:04 PM

View Postdan360, on 15 April 2018 - 03:02 PM, said:

The honor system only works for people who are being watched. It's much less problematic to police the people paying for 9 and trying to sneak in 18 than trying to figure out who paid for 3 and is actually playing 6, or 7, or 9.  

Think about the pain in the arse that is.  

And the junior rate is to promote juniors playing.  Not for adults.  SMH.

As I explained above... I didn't offer to pay the junior rate to get the junior rate to play 9 holes. The man at the counter said "there was not a button" in the computer that was for $5. The junior rate is $5. It was only a solution to him being able to take my 5 dollars. It had absolutely nothing to do with actually being treated as though I'm a junior.

As far as policing people playing by the hole. I fully understand the challenges of doing so with things in their present state.

Edited by FlyingLaw1, 15 April 2018 - 03:07 PM.

GO DAWGS

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors