Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Not acceptable to me

82 replies to this topic

#31 rynobucket

rynobucket

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 43807
GolfWRX Likes : 114

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:49 AM

View PostZAP, on 15 April 2018 - 10:32 AM, said:

I will be ordering from a different OEM but I also feel like someone who does the volume of DDs might have a little more pull.
I was more directing my statement at the posters that said essentially 'You should have ordered from DD's', as if Callaway has special inventory for orders placed through them. I think you are doing the correct thing selecting an OEM that will be upfront with you and can provide a product in a reasonable amount of time.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 phatchrisrules

phatchrisrules

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,762 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20680
  • Handicap:6.5
GolfWRX Likes : 639

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:55 AM

View PostZAP, on 15 April 2018 - 10:32 AM, said:

View Postrynobucket, on 15 April 2018 - 10:06 AM, said:

View PostZAP, on 15 April 2018 - 09:49 AM, said:

View Postlinkerpan, on 14 April 2018 - 09:19 PM, said:

View PostDavePelz4, on 14 April 2018 - 06:55 PM, said:

Wow...will post what I posted in the TM thread for the guy who had comparable experience.  Go to Discount Dan's, they'll save you 20%, no taxes, free shipping and I've never heard of anything other than wonderful customer service.
DP4 giving people a solution but people prefers to whine around
Thats a great solution but I will have to wait for my refund first.
I'm all for dealing with Discount Dan's, but how are they going to control the inventory issues of Callaway or Taylormade? Yes they will save you a bit of money, but how are they going to provide the end customer with something the manufacturer has on back order? I would expect if you cancel your order and place one thru DD's your order will be bumped to the end of the wait list. If I am missing something, please let me know.

I will be ordering from a different OEM but I also feel like someone who does the volume of DDs might have a little more pull.

I was just looking at my order status on Callaway's website and it still says backordered 1-2 weeks.  It has me wondering if it would have said that till June if I had not contacted them.  If the site had said available in 12 weeks like they are saying then I am going to tell you I would not have ordered.  Even if it said 4-6 I would have held onto my money.

I am not complaining just to complain.  I feel like $1200 is a good chunk of change and spending that much should warrant a little more open communication regarding my purchase.

Read KGeorge's posts directed at me.  DD has no more pull than anyone else.  They also seem to step back and let you deal with the OEM directly if there is an issue.  What is the change being done to them?  It might almost be worth it to see if a local store has a set in stock for you to just buy, unless the shafts/lengths are radically different from stock PX.  

Mizuno is going to be real fast on their turnaround, so are Titleist.  Benefit of Mizuno is they offer every grip free over the 718 stuff.  However, benefit of 718 stuff is that the build quality is usually a bit better in my experiences.  Everything I have personally seen from Titleist has been bang on states specs, while Mizuno has been dropping the ball lately in my experience.
Callaway Rogue SZ 9* - Diamana BF 60
Callaway Rogue SZ 13.5* - Fubuki V-Series 70
Callaway Rogue SZ 18* - Diamana Thump 85
Ping G700 4 - Fujikura Atmos Black 95
Ping G700 5 - Accra 105CWT "Master's Green"
Ping i500 6-PW - Accra 105CWT "Master's Green" (Most likely as it looks awesome)
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50/SS, 54/ES, 58/ES - Modus 105 Wedge Master's Green
Bettinardi Inovai 3.0 Centre Shaft

#33 CrushSticks

CrushSticks

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 194408
  • Ebay ID:Fawkesman3000
GolfWRX Likes : 302

Posted 15 April 2018 - 11:35 AM

View Postphatchrisrules, on 15 April 2018 - 08:37 AM, said:

View PostCallawayLefty, on 14 April 2018 - 07:05 PM, said:

This is bad, but callaway has great customer service and my guess is they'll find a way to make it right.  

That said, when are OEMs going to figure out that in todag's E-commerce world, their shipping times are totally unacceptable.  I find 2 weeks to be about the fastest you get clubs.  3 to 4 is standard, and cases like this aren't out of the norm.  Amazon can have basically anything to my door in 48 hours.  I know there are custom and stock issues in golf that don't exist in other industries, but anything more than a week to ship anything other than truly exotic shafts, special grinds, things like that is ridiculous. And those things should be 2 weeks only.

I understand where you are coming from, but you aren't the only person the company is building a set of clubs for.  Let's say best case scenario Callaway has 10 builders, and it takes an average of say 75 minutes to build a set (weigh the heads, grab the shafts, swingweight, cut, glue, grip), at best, they are producing 80 sets a day.  This is being MEGA generous...having built a few sets from scratch myself it usually takes at least 90 minutes to build a set properly.  I'm not talking some garage hack and glue where they just grab any head and any shaft and slap it together.  Custom work from the OEMs goes through a lot of quality control checks and building check points usually.  Now they have to do this for every order in North America or Europe (as they usually have only one build location per continent)...maybe two in North America because Canada and the USA are so large.  

There are definitely more than 80 sets of Callaway clubs being ordered per day, or in need of repair, or being need to be made stock to get to places like Golf Galaxy or PGASS.  It's not as simple as driving a couple of miles to your buddies place who happens to work on clubs to get them done and he can turn them around next day because he has nothing else to do.  I work at a high-end fitting and build shop and the amount of quality checks done before they go out is insane, we are so busy right now we have 3 builders working full time, one of which works 10am-midnight almost daily, and we still can't keep up.

Just a little look from the other side of the "Amazon" world.  It's not always as simple as pulling a box off of a shelf and slapping a shipping label on it.  Now having said that, end of May/early June delivery is a bit ridiculous, they need to be better at forecasting product demand.

You get back on topic at the end, but the rest of your argument doesn’t match the issue at hand. The issue is, they are taking orders, sometimes with quotes on reasonable lead times, and not delivering. Only for the customer, or retailer, to find out by doing their own dirty work that the components are further back ordered.

As someone who works in golf, all of these happenings are very common, but it’s become really bad over the last couple years as ownership is telling these companies to make more reasonable projections and hold less inventory. For example, the Cobra F8 one length hybrid was not expected to sell by Cobra. So they only made a small amount. Unexpectedly, the club took off and since they didn’t have supply chains setup to keep inventory coming in, they are scrambling and have 2 month back order dates just merely trying to satisfy retail accounts, let alone direct to consumer sales.

It’s a dangerous game and I understand that TM is not expecting to sell a million sets of P-790s or Callaway with Apex MB. But you better be ready to handle it in case you do.
Wilson Fg Tour M3- Black Ops Black Mamba
Adams Tight Lies 3-16
Adams Tight Lies 5-19(Fuji Speeder 7.2)
Wilson FG Tour V4 Utility - 3
                Wilson FG Tour M3 4-GW (Dynamic Gold XP)
                Vokey SM 09 56
Odyssey Versa 1W WBW 34"

#34 Crazy About Golf

Crazy About Golf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 484454
  • Handicap:1.1
GolfWRX Likes : 177

Posted 15 April 2018 - 11:45 AM

I know a few others have shared similar positive experiences with Mizuno.....but I’ll throw mine in there as well for the heck of it Ordered a set of MP-18s and had them in less than a week.
Callaway GBB Epic Sub Zero 9 degree, Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 60g x-flex
Callaway X2 Hot Pro 12.5 degree, Aldila Tour ATX-75 x-flex
Cobra Baffler 16 degree hybrid, Fujikura Speeder s-flex
Mizuno MP18 3-PW, Dynamic Gold x-100
Mizuno T7  52 degree, 56 degree, 60 degree
Bobby Grace 18 Blade putter
​Titleist Pro-V1x

#35 Sean2

Sean2

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 30,077 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 17498

Posted 15 April 2018 - 12:20 PM

This kind of thing seems to happen more often among different OEM's.

Callaway Rogue
Callaway GBB Epic 16º/20º/24º
Callaway Steelhead XR 25º
Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW
Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54º/58º
Callaway "O" Works #7

#36 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,951 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68568
  • Handicap:0.0
GolfWRX Likes : 22630

Posted 15 April 2018 - 03:50 PM

View PostSean2, on 15 April 2018 - 12:20 PM, said:

Shareholders have zero patience and cutting spending on inventory is one of the best ways to increase profit. Other ways are cutting staff , though i'd guess most OEMs already run pretty lean, or cutting margins of distributors (however they are already mostly going out of business, so can't do that)

So my guess is this is why we are seeing more long lead times.....that is just a guess though.
Ping G LS Tec 10 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
Callaway Epic Subzero 14 w/Rogue Max 75
Callaway Steelhead XR 18 w/S300
Callaway Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
Callaway MD Forged 52,56,60 w/S300
SGC NorthWood Center Shaft 400g

#37 Big Ben

Big Ben

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,084 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14306
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 1396

Posted 15 April 2018 - 03:55 PM

Simple answer, ask for them to send you a return RA with postage. This nonsense is unacceptable, you either have the set or you don't. Until they build a course which suits a two iron bag that is...BB
Irons: Titleist 918cb's
Drivers: Ping G400
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's  
Putter: Toulon Indianapolis
Balls: 2017 B330s

#38 Medic

Medic

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,329 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132567
  • Handicap:9.1
GolfWRX Likes : 7998

Posted 15 April 2018 - 04:47 PM

Two things....

First any chance that there is somehow a shortage of the shaft option whenever there is a delay such as this? (Everyone always figures it's the head so just had to ask)

And second, to anyone who see the OP as whining - no way. I consider this thread as a sort of a warning to others. He already has a plan of attack on how to go forward and wasn't really seeking advice - he was simply saying beware. Season's about to start and if you order now odds are you won't have your new sticks in time.

Edited by Medic, 15 April 2018 - 08:31 PM.

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Apex CF16 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Slate 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Odyssey Versa 9 34"
Callaway Chrome Soft

#39 Anser

Anser

Major Winner

• 1,785 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28177
  • Ebay ID:ADX
GolfWRX Likes : 1231

Posted 15 April 2018 - 06:04 PM

Wow...will post what I posted in the TM thread for the guy who had comparable experience.  Go to Discount Dan's, they'll save you 20%, no taxes, free shipping and I've never heard of anything other than wonderful customer service.

While I love DD, they can't do anything if Cally doesn't have specific irons in stock

Edited by Anser, 15 April 2018 - 06:05 PM.

TM M4 D-Type 9.5 - Tour AD IZ 7s
TM M4 3HL, 5 HL, Tour AD IZ 7s
Cleveland Hibore Xli 3,4,5
TM 790 6-AW, Project X LZ 6.0
Cleveland RTX 54/58
TaylorMade HiToe 64
Evnroll ER-5, Evnroll ER-2.1

#40 phatchrisrules

phatchrisrules

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,762 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 06:15 PM

View PostCrushSticks, on 15 April 2018 - 11:35 AM, said:

View Postphatchrisrules, on 15 April 2018 - 08:37 AM, said:

View PostCallawayLefty, on 14 April 2018 - 07:05 PM, said:

This is bad, but callaway has great customer service and my guess is they'll find a way to make it right.  

That said, when are OEMs going to figure out that in todag's E-commerce world, their shipping times are totally unacceptable.  I find 2 weeks to be about the fastest you get clubs.  3 to 4 is standard, and cases like this aren't out of the norm.  Amazon can have basically anything to my door in 48 hours.  I know there are custom and stock issues in golf that don't exist in other industries, but anything more than a week to ship anything other than truly exotic shafts, special grinds, things like that is ridiculous. And those things should be 2 weeks only.

I understand where you are coming from, but you aren't the only person the company is building a set of clubs for.  Let's say best case scenario Callaway has 10 builders, and it takes an average of say 75 minutes to build a set (weigh the heads, grab the shafts, swingweight, cut, glue, grip), at best, they are producing 80 sets a day.  This is being MEGA generous...having built a few sets from scratch myself it usually takes at least 90 minutes to build a set properly.  I'm not talking some garage hack and glue where they just grab any head and any shaft and slap it together.  Custom work from the OEMs goes through a lot of quality control checks and building check points usually.  Now they have to do this for every order in North America or Europe (as they usually have only one build location per continent)...maybe two in North America because Canada and the USA are so large.  

There are definitely more than 80 sets of Callaway clubs being ordered per day, or in need of repair, or being need to be made stock to get to places like Golf Galaxy or PGASS.  It's not as simple as driving a couple of miles to your buddies place who happens to work on clubs to get them done and he can turn them around next day because he has nothing else to do.  I work at a high-end fitting and build shop and the amount of quality checks done before they go out is insane, we are so busy right now we have 3 builders working full time, one of which works 10am-midnight almost daily, and we still can't keep up.

Just a little look from the other side of the "Amazon" world.  It's not always as simple as pulling a box off of a shelf and slapping a shipping label on it.  Now having said that, end of May/early June delivery is a bit ridiculous, they need to be better at forecasting product demand.

You get back on topic at the end, but the rest of your argument doesn’t match the issue at hand. The issue is, they are taking orders, sometimes with quotes on reasonable lead times, and not delivering. Only for the customer, or retailer, to find out by doing their own dirty work that the components are further back ordered.

As someone who works in golf, all of these happenings are very common, but it’s become really bad over the last couple years as ownership is telling these companies to make more reasonable projections and hold less inventory. For example, the Cobra F8 one length hybrid was not expected to sell by Cobra. So they only made a small amount. Unexpectedly, the club took off and since they didn’t have supply chains setup to keep inventory coming in, they are scrambling and have 2 month back order dates just merely trying to satisfy retail accounts, let alone direct to consumer sales.

It’s a dangerous game and I understand that TM is not expecting to sell a million sets of P-790s or Callaway with Apex MB. But you better be ready to handle it in case you do.

I wasn't talking about the OP, I understand they are upset, and deservedly so.  I was answering directly to whom I quoted.  They are saying it is unacceptable to have anything take two weeks, and hint that they even find stuff taking a week to be a little bit too long a lead time.  I'm just pointing out that it's not that simple to just say "work faster and harder."  There are a lot of moving parts and building a set of clubs is not as simple as a lot of people think it is.  Putting part A into Part B and making sure there's a grip on it is only about 25% of doing a proper build.

I have worked golf retail for over 13 years, I really wish they would just flat out refuse to take orders on stuff that is backordered, or better yet, give us a heads up so I can warn the customer.  "Hey, product X is backordered until supposedly May 30th.  No guarantees that it will even be squared up by then.  Just letting you know that if you really want it there will be a wait for it.  If you're cool waiting for it, then so am I, but I think we should explore options."  Honestly, my job would have been so much better.  On the other hand, people need to learn patience.  I don't know how many times I've said "your clubs will take 2.5-3 weeks to come in.  We will call you when they are in," only to have the customer call me or email in 3-4 days wondering where the clubs they ordered are and why we haven't called them yet because it's been close to two weeks.  Sigh.

Edited by phatchrisrules, 15 April 2018 - 06:19 PM.

Ping i500 6-PW - Accra 105CWT "Master's Green" (Most likely as it looks awesome)

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#41 DavePelz4

DavePelz4

Legend

• 23,048 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69051
GolfWRX Likes : 24087

Posted 15 April 2018 - 06:50 PM

View PostAnser, on 15 April 2018 - 06:04 PM, said:

While I love DD, they can't do anything if Cally doesn't have specific irons in stock

Very fair statement.

However...and you knew there was going to be a however...you have to figure OEM's take care of the top 20% of their distributors who make up 80% of their revenue.

#42 phatchrisrules

phatchrisrules

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,762 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 06:59 PM

View PostDavePelz4, on 15 April 2018 - 06:50 PM, said:

Very fair statement.

However...and you knew there was going to be a however...you have to figure OEM's take care of the top 20% of their distributors who make up 80% of their revenue.

They do, for the most part.  However, if they don't have heads, they don't have heads (or shafts, or grips, or whatever).  There is nothing they can do.  If Discount Dans is even 10% of their revenue I would be SHOCKED, let alone 80%.  There is no way they are even a blip on the radar compared to direct-to-consumer channels like OEM websites, big box stores, high-end fitting places like Club Champion, and all of the proshop accounts (collectively of course).

Like I said, Golf Town is Taylormade's #1 account in North America and when I worked for them there were back-orders and issues that got resolved when they got resolved.  Nobody was ever in a hurry to get it fixed, so to speak.

#43 DavePelz4

DavePelz4

Legend

• 23,048 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 07:06 PM

View Postphatchrisrules, on 15 April 2018 - 06:59 PM, said:

Very fair statement.

They do, for the most part.  However, if they don't have heads, they don't have heads (or shafts, or grips, or whatever).  There is nothing they can do.  If Discount Dans is even 10% of their revenue I would be SHOCKED, let alone 80%.  There is no way they are even a blip on the radar compared to direct-to-consumer channels like OEM websites, big box stores, high-end fitting places like Club Champion, and all of the proshop accounts (collectively of course).

Like I said, Golf Town is Taylormade's #1 account in North America and when I worked for them there were back-orders and issues that got resolved when they got resolved.  Nobody was ever in a hurry to get it fixed, so to speak.

Think you misread my statement.  No way DD is 10% of anyone's revenue, they're way too small.  Could they be in the top 20% in terms of revenue generated?  Possibly.  Given a choice of taking care of a wholesale customer who generates millions of dollars or a retail consumer who is spending $1,000 one time for that club purchase, they're taking care of the wholesale client first.

It's always follow the money...and in our business, we do the same.

#44 rainkingjr

rainkingjr

Major Winner

• 2,019 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52783
GolfWRX Likes : 621

Posted 15 April 2018 - 07:18 PM

I completely understand why the OP is upset. I just don't see how any company feels it's okay to ship a partial "set" of irons. That's like ordering flatware and receiving the forks with a note saying the knives and spoons will ship at a later date.

#45 Sean2

Sean2

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• 30,077 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 07:27 PM

View PostMtlJeff, on 15 April 2018 - 03:50 PM, said:

View PostSean2, on 15 April 2018 - 12:20 PM, said:

Shareholders have zero patience and cutting spending on inventory is one of the best ways to increase profit. Other ways are cutting staff , though i'd guess most OEMs already run pretty lean, or cutting margins of distributors (however they are already mostly going out of business, so can't do that)

So my guess is this is why we are seeing more long lead times.....that is just a guess though.

I opined something similar in a different thread...not holding a lot of inventory. If that is the case, then simply inform the customer that it will take X amount of time to fill the order. It's like an airline pilot saying, "Just a few more minutes folks." Don't lie to me. If it's going to be 45 minutes, tell me.

Callaway Rogue
Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW
Callaway "O" Works #7

#46 ZAP

ZAP

Major Winner

• 1,319 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 165699
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 916

Posted 15 April 2018 - 07:28 PM

It is very interesting hearing the differing points of view on this situation.  I want to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread.  
I really do appreciate the advice and insight.
Originally I posted partly as a simple rant and partly as a PSA.  Companies should not do this type of thing.  The fact that they originally stated 1-2 weeks and continue to do so
is my biggest complaint.  I simply wish they had told me so I could make a more informed decision about what I wanted to do with my $$$.  This is not an expenditure I have taken lightly.  If you look back at my posts in the Cally MB threads I have been saving up for purchase for quite a while.   (saving up both $$ and brownie points with the wife) :taunt:

Once my order is cancelled officially I will be shopping somewhere.  

Thanks again.  This place is the best.

#47 DavePelz4

DavePelz4

Legend

• 23,048 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 07:31 PM

Please keep us posted...want to hear how this turns out for you.

#48 Sean2

Sean2

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• 30,077 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 07:33 PM

View PostZAP, on 15 April 2018 - 07:28 PM, said:

It is very interesting hearing the differing points of view on this situation.  I want to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread.  
I really do appreciate the advice and insight.
Originally I posted partly as a simple rant and partly as a PSA.  Companies should not do this type of thing.  The fact that they originally stated 1-2 weeks and continue to do so
is my biggest complaint.  I simply wish they had told me so I could make a more informed decision about what I wanted to do with my $$$.  This is not an expenditure I have taken lightly.  If you look back at my posts in the Cally MB threads I have been saving up for purchase for quite a while.   (saving up both $$ and brownie points with the wife) :taunt:

Once my order is cancelled officially I will be shopping somewhere.  

Thanks again.  This place is the best.

Good luck Zap...I hope you get what you want, and in a timely fashion. :-)
Callaway Rogue
Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW
Callaway "O" Works #7

#49 taylorx300

taylorx300

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40397
GolfWRX Likes : 393

Posted 15 April 2018 - 08:05 PM

Not sure about some of the replies being correct info but I order directly through Callaway, Titleist and TM dealer portal sites and ALL of them will indicate a back order status on heads, shafts or grips before you actually place the custom order. Ping and Mizuno you call in custom orders and before they give you a confirmation number, they will tell you lead time or back order status.
Just saying.
M3 9.5* / Atmos Black Tour Spec
M4 16.5* / Hzrdus Black
M4 Hybrid 19* / KBS Prototype
P-770 / Project X LZ 6.0
52* / 58* Black Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
59* Original Trusty Rusty / Hump shaft
60* Raw Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
Toulon Garage Columbus Triple Black

#50 ZAP

ZAP

Major Winner

• 1,319 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 165699
GolfWRX Likes : 916

Posted 15 April 2018 - 08:16 PM

View Posttaylorx300, on 15 April 2018 - 08:05 PM, said:

Not sure about some of the replies being correct info but I order directly through Callaway, Titleist and TM dealer portal sites and ALL of them will indicate a back order status on heads, shafts or grips before you actually place the custom order. Ping and Mizuno you call in custom orders and before they give you a confirmation number, they will tell you lead time or back order status.
Just saying.

Yes.  And they did not give a backorder status only a "1-2 weeks" time frame when I ordered.  Which is the main source of my dismay.   Currently my order status says "backorder 1-2 weeks"  and then they email me back after I inquire and give me the May 31st and June 15th dates.  

Just clarifying.  I understand that companies are trying to "guess" about inventory so they do not get stuck with a bunch of stock and kill their margins.  I just feel they should be more up front about lead times.  For everyone.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#51 cliffhanger

cliffhanger

Major Winner

• 1,543 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133399
  • Handicap:7.6
GolfWRX Likes : 882

Posted 15 April 2018 - 08:58 PM

View PostMadGolfer76, on 14 April 2018 - 07:01 PM, said:

10 days on custom Mizuno blades. Just saying...
My Mizuno blade custom order was less than 2 weeks and that was during the xmas holidays. Zero complaints with Mizuno here.
What's In The Bag This Week:

Rogue Sub Zero 10.5 deg driver with TS Atmos Blue 6 (45 inch)
Rogue Sub Zero 3 wood 15 deg with TS Atmos Blue 7 (42.75 inch)
Taylormade 790 3 iron with DG 105
Mizuno MP18 Blades 4-PW with PX LZ
Mizuno T7 50 and 54 deg wedges with PX LZ
Cameron Newport 3 @ 34 inch
Chrome Soft X ball

#52 CrushSticks

CrushSticks

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 194408
  • Ebay ID:Fawkesman3000
GolfWRX Likes : 302

Posted 15 April 2018 - 09:38 PM

Mizuno and Ping are definitely the best and fastest, but Mizuno has even been a part of this in 2018 with their Fli His being backordered
Wilson Fg Tour M3- Black Ops Black Mamba
Adams Tight Lies 3-16
Adams Tight Lies 5-19(Fuji Speeder 7.2)
Wilson FG Tour V4 Utility - 3
                Wilson FG Tour M3 4-GW (Dynamic Gold XP)
                Vokey SM 09 56
Odyssey Versa 1W WBW 34"

#53 Anser

Anser

Major Winner

• 1,785 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:53 AM

Very fair statement.

What you say seems like it would make sense but you know who they make more money from than any other vendors?

taylormadegolf.com :)  Who you think is getting the first dibs when they're the wholesaler AND the retailer :)

This usually comes down to lack of heads from China.  They get held up on boats all the time.  Last summer there was the dockworkers strike and tens of thousands of heads were held up in port due to that.

And the reality is this.  By the time retailer a places that order, TM has their accounts receivable lined up.  It matters little when they deliver, Retailer A is still on the hook for that invoice no matter how long it takes for Retailer A to make THEIR customer happy.

If I were TM I'd stop sending any product to retailers and be 100% the exclusive retailer.  Set up 2,000 sq ft fitting shops in strategic locations and operate like Tesla.  Sure you'd lose some number of items shipped but you'd make way more on every club that did go out the door.  At the end of the day, discount dans and golf galaxy are actually competitors to taylormadegolf.com, not friends :)
Cleveland RTX 54/58
TaylorMade HiToe 64

#54 phatchrisrules

phatchrisrules

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,762 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:23 AM

View PostAnser, on 16 April 2018 - 06:53 AM, said:

If I were TM I'd stop sending any product to retailers and be 100% the exclusive retailer.  Set up 2,000 sq ft fitting shops in strategic locations and operate like Tesla.  Sure you'd lose some number of items shipped but you'd make way more on every club that did go out the door.  At the end of the day, discount dans and golf galaxy are actually competitors to taylormadegolf.com, not friends :)

Funny you should say that, TM is thinking about doing just that.  Opening up their own exclusive fitting studios, carrying nothing but TM stock and having all the shafts and grips they offer.  2-3 booths with I think one of them being dedicated to their MAT-fit or whatever that thing is.  They are also thinking of having single-booth ones in malls that are stocked with nothing but TM stuff.  Honestly, it's brilliant if you ask me, but a really quick way to ensure that you tick off every retailer in the world that carries your stuff.  You'd see accounts drop them so fast their heads would spin.

I'm usually pretty brand agnostic, I have to be given my line of work.  However, TM just rubs me the real wrong way.  When they did their product launches to us it was so cocky, rock music blaring in the background, a smug rep with a smirk on his face bobbing along to the beat while scanning the room...he even loudly corrected someone over the pronunciation of SLDR, she said "Slider" he said "what was that?" she said "Slider.", he said "I don't know what that is, but I know about S-L-D-R" and just smirked again.  Like screw off bud, we all know it's pronounced "Slider", but you got caught in a patent infringement and had to think fast and landed on S-L-D-R.  

Their constant turnover of product bugs me.  Their continual release of re-badged junk like RBZ Black and RBZ, Speedblades, and Aeroburner HL lines that are terrible.  Their attitude to their customers/accounts.  Last year they closed down in freaking August to do a system upgrade...AUGUST!  We had Return Numbers about 15-feet long, with people calling us daily super ticked off about this.  Special Orders were taking well over a month to come in and of course, people screamed at me as if it was my fault, despite warning them about the hold up.  

Having said all that though, I hate HATE that the P790s are so good and the Milled Grind wedges look and feel as good as they do because I'm probably going to end up with at least the wedges this year.

Edited by phatchrisrules, 16 April 2018 - 07:32 AM.

#55 Anser

Anser

Major Winner

• 1,785 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:27 AM

View Postphatchrisrules, on 16 April 2018 - 07:23 AM, said:

Funny you should say that, TM is thinking about doing just that.  Opening up their own exclusive fitting studios, carrying nothing but TM stock and having all the shafts and grips they offer.  2-3 booths with I think one of them being dedicated to their MAT-fit or whatever that thing is.  They are also thinking of having single-booth ones in malls that are stocked with nothing but TM stuff.  Honestly, it's brilliant if you ask me, but a really quick way to ensure that you tick off every retailer in the world that carries your stuff.  You'd see accounts drop them so fast their heads would spin.

If Tesla doesn't need car lots TM doesn't need Golf Galaxy and yes it would do exactly what you say.  They could do it now by playing price war on their website if they really wanted to.  They're in the unique position of undercutting everyone in the retail space.  They don't, in fact, they lose sales daily to retailers playing that game, but they could decide to keep all $499 of that M3 sale instead of the $305 :)

Cleveland RTX 54/58
TaylorMade HiToe 64

#56 phatchrisrules

phatchrisrules

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,762 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:47 AM

View PostAnser, on 16 April 2018 - 07:27 AM, said:

View Postphatchrisrules, on 16 April 2018 - 07:23 AM, said:

If Tesla doesn't need car lots TM doesn't need Golf Galaxy and yes it would do exactly what you say.  They could do it now by playing price war on their website if they really wanted to.  They're in the unique position of undercutting everyone in the retail space.  They don't, in fact, they lose sales daily to retailers playing that game, but they could decide to keep all $499 of that M3 sale instead of the $305 :)

You're right, from a business standpoint it's brilliant.  Where they are going to lose some market share would in your off the beaten path areas, where the nearest mall is an hour away but you have 5 golf courses within 15 minutes of each other.  If they yank all of those accounts, it's just like handing money over to Callaway, Ping, Titleist etc.  On the other hand, if someone really wants it, most would be savvy enough to either order online or drive the hour or so to try it out.  Some won't, but I'd imagine most would.

#57 SheriffBooth

SheriffBooth

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 3,932 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17355
  • Handicap:2.6
  • Ebay ID:yakima2k

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:54 AM

Has Tesla ever had positive cash flow in its corporate history?  Are there any examples of a profitable exclusively direct sales model for durable consumer goods?
Taylormade M3, 9.5*, Rogue Silver 60 S
Callaway 816 16*, Rogue Silver I/O 70 S
Callaway Apex 3H, Kuro Kage 80-hyb S
Taylormade P-790, 4-PW, Recoil 110 F4 +1"
Taylormade MG 50, 56, 60 Recoil 110 F4 +1"
Taylormade TP Collection Balboa

#58 Sean2

Sean2

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• 30,077 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:00 AM

View PostSheriffBooth, on 16 April 2018 - 07:54 AM, said:

Has Tesla ever had positive cash flow in its corporate history?  Are there any examples of a profitable exclusively direct sales model for durable consumer goods?

It might work for golf clubs. However, I would think the locations would be very limited, very strategic. If nothing else TM could use them as tax write-offs.
Callaway Rogue
Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW
Callaway "O" Works #7

#59 KCCO

KCCO

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138532
GolfWRX Likes : 593

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:12 AM

If the funds are there, I would let this ride out until they arrive, then deal with getting some kind of compensation out of them as that's just poor business from an OEM.
Order another set of irons from somewhere else at this point though, I would just think you could possibly come out ahead after settling your troubles you had with Callaway, if compensated well enough, selling them may help pay for others, or you could tell them possibly sending you a new driver will make you forget. My .02

***forgot to add if they don't do anything, send back and just get refund

Edited by KCCO, 16 April 2018 - 08:24 AM.

Titleist 917 D3   Tour Spec Speeder
Titleist 917 F2   Tensei Orange
Titleist 818 H2   Tensei White
Titleist 718 CB 4-PW KBS C-Taper Limited Gun Metal
PXG Darkness 52/58    MCI-100 black
009 ProV1

#60 SheriffBooth

SheriffBooth

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 3,932 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17355
  • Handicap:2.6
  • Ebay ID:yakima2k

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:20 AM

View PostSean2, on 16 April 2018 - 08:00 AM, said:

View PostSheriffBooth, on 16 April 2018 - 07:54 AM, said:

It might work for golf clubs. However, I would think the locations would be very limited, very strategic. If nothing else TM could use them as tax write-offs.

I would think it might have worked for higher demand goods like refrigerators or televisions by now if it was a sustainable model - I'm trying to think of a consumer durable that's successfully employed a direct sales model.  I think the vast majority of golf purchasers like to comparison shop, and like to touch, see, and try a variety of products prior to making a purchasing decision.  We have to remember that the GolfWRX bubble is a fairly unique corner of the greater golfing world.

Taylormade M3, 9.5*, Rogue Silver 60 S
Callaway 816 16*, Rogue Silver I/O 70 S
Callaway Apex 3H, Kuro Kage 80-hyb S
Taylormade P-790, 4-PW, Recoil 110 F4 +1"
Taylormade MG 50, 56, 60 Recoil 110 F4 +1"
Taylormade TP Collection Balboa

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors