Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Future US Open Sites

37 replies to this topic

#1 schley

schley

Love ya don't tell ya enough!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58583
  • Handicap:12.3
GolfWRX Likes : 208

Posted 14 April 2018 - 02:17 PM

Thread over on GCA I thought would play well here as well.

Now that the Masters is done and out of our system almost, moving on to the US Open I took a look at the future sites and didn't realize that they are announced all the way up to 2027 already.  Two courses show up twice, Shinnecock and Pebble.  Not a surprise there. Take a look at the future sites.

I definitely think Pebble needs its turn every 8-10 years (personally like to see if every 10 as it used to be), however other than LACC and a return to TCC we have the same cast.  This is where subjectivity comes in, but I would like to see a little more variety utilized.  I liked when the USGA scouted out and has utilized Bethpage, then took a chance at Erin Hills and to a lesser extent Chambers Bay.  Off the radar publics and then mixing in the usual cast of privates.  If you look at geography the Midwest is absent sans Oakmont.  It bounces back and forth from the East to West.

I love hitting traditional stops with history and that should continue, however what are some courses that could help even out the geography at the very least?  Muirfield Village, Iverness, Medinah, Crooked Stick, Oakland Hills, Arcadia Bluffs, Broadmoor, back to Erin Hills? Can the destination courses even be considered due to lack of infrastructure?  Probably not.

Last consideration is that the PGA will move to May and that will bring the south into play and for good reason as they really have been MIA due to June US Open date and August PGA date, thus weather is now in their favor.  Atlanta Athletic Club, Sawgrass, Southern Hills, or Streamsong even to help represent the PGA geography considering the new date?

2018: Shinnecock Hills Golf Club - Southampton, N.Y. - June 14-17

2019: Pebble Beach Golf Links - Pebble Beach, Calif. - June 13-16

2020: Winged Foot Golf Club (West Course) - Mamaroneck, N.Y. - June 18-21

2021: Torrey Pines Golf Course (South Course) - San Diego, Calif. - June 17-20

2022: The Country Club - The Country Club - Brookline, Mass. - June 16-19

2023: The Los Angeles Country Club (North Course) - Los Angeles, Calif. - June 15-18

2024: Pinehurst Resort & Country Club (Course No. 2) - Village of Pinehurst, N.C. - June 13-16

2025: Oakmont Country Club - Oakmont, Pa. - June 12-15

2026: Shinnecock Hills Golf Club - Southampton, N.Y. - June 18-21

2027: Pebble Beach Golf Links - Pebble Beach, Calif. - June 17-20

Edited by schley, 14 April 2018 - 02:22 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Santiago Golf

Santiago Golf

I Strive to make you Better

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,286 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151005
  • Handicap:???
GolfWRX Likes : 1690

Posted 14 April 2018 - 04:06 PM

Arcadia Bluffs isnt possible. You cant put crowds on that golf course. Maybe at the new Arcadi South.
Driver: Taylormade M2 '17 10.5*; Accura Tour Z Pink, 85 M5 (285, can get one or two to carry 300+ if needed)
Fairway: Taylormade Aeroburner TP 15*; Diamana Blueboard 72x (255)
Hybrid: Adams IDEA Super XTD 17*; UST Mamiya Proforce VTS 100HX (240, can 260+ if needed)
Driving Iron: Titleist 712U 2 iron; Aldila VS Proto "By You" 85X
Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo 4-AW; Aldila VS Proto "By You" 100x
   4-5; 38", 61* lie, 5 iron weight (220, 205) 6-8; 37", 62* lie, 8 iron weight (190, 180, 170) 9-AW; 36", 63* lie (160, 145, 130)

S Wedge: Scratch 1018 DS 57*; Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx; 35.5", 63.5* lie (110): I HARDLY USE IT IN THE BUNKER
L Wedge: Maltby Third Wedge (Custom Grind) 62*; Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx; 35", 64* lie: THIS IS MY BUNKER CLUB, HARDLY USE FROM OUTSIDE 40 YARDS!!
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 MB, YES! Tour Tracey (for practice only)

Ball: Vice Pro
Grip: Super Stroke S-Tech Cord (Woods +6 wraps, Irons and wedges +8 wraps)

#3 15th Club

15th Club

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 248249
  • Ebay ID:cdbplc
GolfWRX Likes : 701

Posted 14 April 2018 - 04:39 PM

I can speak with some specificity as to Oakland Hills South.  Last year the club engaged Gil Hanse to come up with a plan similar to his work at Winged Foot West, which was so successful that the club asked him to give the same treatment to their East Course.  It involved rebuilding all 18 greens, many bunkers and the usual cut-down-more-and-more-trees to improve lines of play, turfgrass growth and the like.

The details were really interesting; they use a new computer program to map every green, every contour, down to millimeters.  And then they'd completely tear them up and rebuild them.  It would take the South Course out of play entirely for more than a year.

I won't go into costs and prices, but it was a lot.  It would not and could not be paid out of existing funds.  The members would have to pay into a kind of bonding fund over time.  Some of the members didn't trust that their magnificent, original greens could be preserved.  Some of the members balked at the cost.  They took a vote, and the proposal lost by a wide margin.

OHCC has a problem with increasing amounts of poa annua on its historic greens.  They do the best that they can, but soil conditions have become a long-term problem.  The course is now as long as it can be; there is no more room to move any tees.  The USGA would have given OHCC another look, if they had approved the Hanse plan.  Now, it is practically assured that they won't.  The club may revisit the issue in the future.  They may have to.

Edited by 15th Club, 14 April 2018 - 04:41 PM.

#4 Ashley Schaeffer

Ashley Schaeffer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 258664
GolfWRX Likes : 1551

Posted 14 April 2018 - 04:56 PM

View Post15th Club, on 14 April 2018 - 04:39 PM, said:

I can speak with some specificity as to Oakland Hills South.  Last year the club engaged Gil Hanse to come up with a plan similar to his work at Winged Foot West, which was so successful that the club asked him to give the same treatment to their East Course.  It involved rebuilding all 18 greens, many bunkers and the usual cut-down-more-and-more-trees to improve lines of play, turfgrass growth and the like.

The details were really interesting; they use a new computer program to map every green, every contour, down to millimeters.  And then they'd completely tear them up and rebuild them.  It would take the South Course out of play entirely for more than a year.

I won't go into costs and prices, but it was a lot.  It would not and could not be paid out of existing funds.  The members would have to pay into a kind of bonding fund over time.  Some of the members didn't trust that their magnificent, original greens could be preserved.  Some of the members balked at the cost.  They took a vote, and the proposal lost by a wide margin.

OHCC has a problem with increasing amounts of poa annua on its historic greens.  They do the best that they can, but soil conditions have become a long-term problem.  The course is now as long as it can be; there is no more room to move any tees.  The USGA would have given OHCC another look, if they had approved the Hanse plan.  Now, it is practically assured that they won't.  The club may revisit the issue in the future.  They may have to.

It's a total bummer that the dunces at the USGA force these courses to take these measures instead of just accepting potentially lower scores.
The easiest solution is to not create the problem out of thin air.
Driver: 9.5*
3W: 15*
5W: 19*-ish?
Irons: 4-PW
Wedges: 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter:  Putter

#5 2putttom

2putttom

# 1 Oregon Duck fan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,652 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 177144
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 4825

Posted 14 April 2018 - 05:16 PM

this all Tigers fault

:taunt:

Tour Exotics E 10 15*
Adams CMB 4-6  MB2's 7-9 1 more season
Mizuno Mp 4 52 MP T7 56 &60
Bobby Grace Jericho II Tour S Bend
Oregon Ducks Bag

#6 15th Club

15th Club

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2018 - 05:38 PM

View PostAshley Schaeffer, on 14 April 2018 - 04:56 PM, said:

It's a total bummer that the dunces at the USGA force these courses to take these measures instead of just accepting potentially lower scores.

I don't think that you even read what I wrote.  OHCC completed its lengthening exercise before the '08 PGA and the '16 US Am.  The changes envisioned by the Hanse plan weren't about scoring; they were about the quality of play.

You should read more carefully and pay closer attention.

#7 Ashley Schaeffer

Ashley Schaeffer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2018 - 05:42 PM

View Post15th Club, on 14 April 2018 - 05:38 PM, said:

I don't think that you even read what I wrote.  OHCC completed its lengthening exercise before the '08 PGA and the '16 US Am.  The changes envisioned by the Hanse plan weren't about scoring; they were about the quality of play.

It's a total bummer that the dunces at the USGA force these courses to take these measures instead of just accepting potentially lower "quality of play" as the USGA defines it.

#8 lowndes

lowndes

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 127537
GolfWRX Likes : 80

Posted 14 April 2018 - 05:51 PM

Interesting - Champions Golf Club in Houston is just now starting to replace all of the greens and bunkers on the Cypress Creek course in preparation for the 2020 U.S. Open. The course will be shutdown until at least October for the renovation but honestly they are in need of replacement for drainage improvements, etc.

#9 15th Club

15th Club

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2018 - 06:09 PM

View Postlowndes, on 14 April 2018 - 05:51 PM, said:

Interesting - Champions Golf Club in Houston is just now starting to replace all of the greens and bunkers on the Cypress Creek course in preparation for the 2020 U.S. Open. The course will be shutdown until at least October for the renovation but honestly they are in need of replacement for drainage improvements, etc.

Right; at least you have another 18 holes to play in the meantime.  Did the flood of 2017 impact the renovation?  How long will the Cypress Creek course play for the ladies?

#10 RobotDoctor

RobotDoctor

Senior Hacker

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,915 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17087
GolfWRX Likes : 979

Posted 14 April 2018 - 06:36 PM

I would have loved to see a US Open at Pumpkin Ridge Ghost Creek course but it seems as if this will never happen.  Such a shame for a very decent track.  I personally think its a better track than Torrey Pines South based on playing both.

Taylormade M1 (2016 tour head) 9.9 degree Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6 stiff
Titleist 906F2 15 degree Fujikura Pro 73 Tour Spec stiff
Taylormade SLDR 2 Hybrid Graphite Design Tour AD DI-Hybrid 85 stiff
Titleist AP2 716 (3-GW) Nippon Modus Tour 120 stiff
Scratch Golf LW Nippon Modus Tour 120 stiff
Byron Morgan Epic Day Long Pipe Copper plated
BestGrips Augusta Microperf grips

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 dlygrisse

dlygrisse

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,884 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16702
GolfWRX Likes : 6158

Posted 14 April 2018 - 06:45 PM

But yet they allowed the USOpen to be played on a untested goat track in the Pacific NW
Callaway GBB
Callaway V Series 3w, HW
Callaway Steelhead 4 hybrid
Ping G 4-U
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* SS
Vokey 58 M grind
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Jones Utility
Ball, KSig or a bunch of ProV's I won in a charity scramble.  
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

#12 DavePelz4

DavePelz4

Legend

• 22,498 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69051
GolfWRX Likes : 23167

Posted 14 April 2018 - 06:50 PM

We in the midwest are disheartened to see that for the next decade, the USO won't be in our immediate area.  Guessing that Mike Davis got shut down on Tinder while in Wisconsin.

#13 Ashley Schaeffer

Ashley Schaeffer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2018 - 07:00 PM

View Postdlygrisse, on 14 April 2018 - 06:45 PM, said:

But yet they allowed the USOpen to be played on a untested goat track in the Pacific NW

It was about "quality of play".  

Posted Image

#14 whartonry

whartonry

whartonry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35335
  • Handicap:1.2
  • Ebay ID:whartygolf
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 14 April 2018 - 07:22 PM

Merion will most certainly be the favorite to get it in 2030. With the recent renovation to Inverness, I could see it being a candidate....

#15 lowndes

lowndes

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 127537
GolfWRX Likes : 80

Posted 14 April 2018 - 07:24 PM

View Post15th Club, on 14 April 2018 - 06:09 PM, said:

View Postlowndes, on 14 April 2018 - 05:51 PM, said:

Right; at least you have another 18 holes to play in the meantime.  Did the flood of 2017 impact the renovation?  How long will the Cypress Creek course play for the ladies?

That is true - and no it didnít really affect the renovation.  The course bounced back remarkable quickly after Harvey.  My understanding is that Champions would like to host more major tournaments and to do so they had to do something to improve the greens.  And Iím not sure how long the course will play - Iíll have to ask.

#16 15th Club

15th Club

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2018 - 07:25 PM

View PostAshley Schaeffer, on 14 April 2018 - 07:00 PM, said:

View Postdlygrisse, on 14 April 2018 - 06:45 PM, said:

Posted Image

Once again, Ashley Shaeffer, your smart-aleck tendency leads you into a foolish look.  That ball bounding on a green at Chambers Bay is hitting poa annua.  Precisely what they are facing at Oakland Hills (much, much milder, with older established grass).  Which is how we got to this place in the discussion.

Mike Davis didn't hide from the Chambers Bay controversy, he acknowledged it.  The greens at Chambers Bay didn't putt like that in the 2010 US Amateur, which was a success, and they weren't like that a year earlier, before a particularly bad winter.

But what did Chambers Bay produce in the end?  A great leaderboard; a great finish; and a great champion.

#17 Ashley Schaeffer

Ashley Schaeffer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2018 - 07:39 PM

View Post15th Club, on 14 April 2018 - 07:25 PM, said:

Posted Image

Once again, Ashley Shaeffer, your smart-aleck tendency leads you into a foolish look.  That ball bounding on a green at Chambers Bay is hitting poa annua.  Precisely what they are facing at Oakland Hills (much, much milder, with older established grass).  Which is how we got to this place in the discussion.

Mike Davis didn't hide from the Chambers Bay controversy, he acknowledged it.  The greens at Chambers Bay didn't putt like that in the 2010 US Amateur, which was a success, and they weren't like that a year earlier, before a particularly bad winter.

But what did Chambers Bay produce in the end?  A great leaderboard; a great finish; and a great champion.

Poa annua?  Haha!  No, never heard of poa annua here in Southern California.  :rolleyes:
Also, re: the bold, this is one of my favorite descriptions: http://czabe.com/the...e-chambers-bay/
Conditions were sublime!  Right in the W column for the USGA.

#18 knock it close

knock it close

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,215 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101876
  • Handicap:+2.4
GolfWRX Likes : 5742

Posted 14 April 2018 - 07:43 PM

View PostAshley Schaeffer, on 14 April 2018 - 07:39 PM, said:

Posted Image

Poa annua?  Haha!  No, never heard of poa annua here in Southern California.  :rolleyes:
Also, re: the bold, this is one of my favorite descriptions: http://czabe.com/the...e-chambers-bay/
Can you two just block each other and move on with your lives?
M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

#19 Ashley Schaeffer

Ashley Schaeffer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2018 - 07:45 PM

View Postknock it close, on 14 April 2018 - 07:43 PM, said:

View PostAshley Schaeffer, on 14 April 2018 - 07:39 PM, said:

Posted Image

Can you two just block each other and move on with your lives?

No.  I think he's just about to change my mind on everything!  Haha!

#20 Roadking2003

Roadking2003

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,846 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 406342
  • Handicap:8.7
GolfWRX Likes : 1949

Posted 14 April 2018 - 10:04 PM

View PostDavePelz4, on 14 April 2018 - 06:50 PM, said:

We in the midwest are disheartened to see that for the next decade, the USO won't be in our immediate area.  Guessing that Mike Davis got shut down on Tinder while in Wisconsin.

Welcome to the world of the South.  The USO hasn't been to TX for 50 years.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 schley

schley

Love ya don't tell ya enough!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58583
  • Handicap:12.3
GolfWRX Likes : 208

Posted 15 April 2018 - 03:51 AM

View PostRoadking2003, on 14 April 2018 - 10:04 PM, said:

We in the midwest are disheartened to see that for the next decade, the USO won't be in our immediate area. Guessing that Mike Davis got shut down on Tinder while in Wisconsin.
Welcome to the world of the South. The USO hasn't been to TX for 50 years.

That should change... at least in the PGA moving to May you should get a few majors.

#22 raynorfan1

raynorfan1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,762 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119065
GolfWRX Likes : 1476

Posted 15 April 2018 - 05:20 AM

Hope everybody has braced themselves to watch an open contested on 100% poa greens at Shinnecock...

#23 elwhippy

elwhippy

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,282 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3536
GolfWRX Likes : 798

Posted 15 April 2018 - 06:35 AM

USGA Has to be careful with Shinny. Last US Open was a shambles caused by a course set up to make people look stupid and not encourage good play. 2015 and last year did not feel like US Opens. I prefer a course that is not a regular tour stop. Places with a mystique like Winged Foot.

#24 Stonebridge

Stonebridge

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 149941
  • Handicap:0.0
GolfWRX Likes : 109

Posted 15 April 2018 - 06:39 AM

View Postschley, on 15 April 2018 - 03:51 AM, said:

We in the midwest are disheartened to see that for the next decade, the USO won't be in our immediate area. Guessing that Mike Davis got shut down on Tinder while in Wisconsin.

That should change... at least in the PGA moving to May you should get a few majors.

The PGA and Ryder Cup will be in Dallas in 2032 & 2034.

#25 DavePelz4

DavePelz4

Legend

• 22,498 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69051
GolfWRX Likes : 23167

Posted 15 April 2018 - 07:00 AM

View PostStonebridge, on 15 April 2018 - 06:39 AM, said:

View Postschley, on 15 April 2018 - 03:51 AM, said:

The PGA and Ryder Cup will be in Dallas in 2032 & 2034.

The PGA site lists the Olympic Club as host of the 2032 Ryder Cup and they don't show anything for Texas at all.

#26 baller4opca

baller4opca

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291553
  • Handicap:13
GolfWRX Likes : 55

Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:15 AM

I don't think Sawgrass is possible as you have TPC so close to the U.S. Open. Doubtful the tour would want to play the same venue so close to one another.

#27 blaird

blaird

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63801
GolfWRX Likes : 466

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:07 AM

Looking forward to US Open at Winged Foot...played US 4ball there a couple years ago. I still have my yardage books with notes and tons of memories from the West course so it will be fun to see how the pros play it.

On a side note, I still have no clue how Mickelson hit his drive where it got to and even less of a clue as to why he tried that second shot.

#28 jaymayor

jaymayor

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 461418
  • Handicap:10
  • Ebay ID:jaymayor
GolfWRX Likes : 427

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:20 AM

How Michigan doesn't even have a Tour stop in general is an absolute shame

#29 vaca22

vaca22

Commander In Beef

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46965
GolfWRX Likes : 136

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:33 AM

I just hate it when the US Open is at Pebble Beach.

#30 jacobEDGE

jacobEDGE

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 446572
  • Handicap:6.0
GolfWRX Likes : 949

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:57 AM

At least the Midwest get Tour stops in other places.

Us out here in the Rockies don't get anything.

Bring the Open to the new TPC Colorado. Or bring any event out to TPC Colorado. Has a 773 yard Par 5 from the tips (read it could go over 800 yards for a tournament set up)

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors