Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Slow swing - looking for a new ball

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 henrysdadda

henrysdadda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 484940
  • Handicap:14
  • Ebay ID:smi723309
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 14 April 2018 - 02:36 AM

Hi everyone,

Due to a recent diagnosis of fibromyalgia I am having to change my swing some what. Slowing everything down and making it more compact yet efficient is the main aim. (Not what you want to hear or be doing at 29!)

Due to this I have just been fit for new irons (graphite TM m4’s) and driver (g400 with Alta distanza) but no where local does ball fittings.

My driver speed has now dropped to approx 85 mph.
I have always been quite a high spinner of the ball currently using callaway truvis chromesoft.

Just wondered what else I should be looking at.

I was thinking about TM TP5x?

Any help would be great.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 elwhippy

elwhippy

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,723 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3536
GolfWRX Likes : 1119

Posted 14 April 2018 - 03:36 AM

Firstly you have my deepest sympathy. A horrible condition. Colleague has this and it lays her low despite being physically well above average fitness. My swing is about 10-12mph more than yours and I find the TP5X hard to compress. A real hitters ball. New Tour Soft surprised me. Soft feel and mid flight without excessive spin. AD333 Tour is a great ball and as per Titleist easier to compress than tour level balls. If you want more distance the new Velocity and TruSofts are excellent, as is an AD333 (not too clever on holding greens mind you).

#3 argee1977

argee1977

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 401588
GolfWRX Likes : 63

Posted 14 April 2018 - 05:57 AM

If it has to be a premium ball, then you can't go wrong with Bridgestone RX/RXS or AD333 Tour (same ball as the Q Star Tour) as stated above. I do find the Pro V1 does well for me whatever speed as well.

If you're looking at mid range as well, then again, as above, Velocity and Trusofts are good, the Callaway Superhot Bold is good as well, i'm using that as my winter ball, as you know in the UK it's just mud since last October, but i will switch soon as it's going to struggle on the greens when they dry out. If you're more of a run up to the green player then these types could be worth a try.

#4 Golf64

Golf64

Go Habs Go!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,300 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104067
  • Handicap:Golf
GolfWRX Likes : 3026

Posted 14 April 2018 - 07:03 AM

Have to agree, if you want urethane, go with QST, RXS, Pro (a), Wilson urethane. Pick something with lower compression. ;)
Bag under construction

Super Bowl LII Champions
Fly Eagles Fly

#5 c50sooner

c50sooner

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 263526
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 14 April 2018 - 08:47 AM

Assuming you like your current Chrome Soft Truvis, you're probably in a pretty solid all-around choice already.  However you might give the Callaway Supersoft a try.  The Supersoft is fun to play as it gives you the feeling the ball is jumping off the face like a superball, however it is near impossible to hold hard greens in the summertime (for me anyway).  If your descent angle is such that spin is no issue for you (you mentioned typically high spin in the past), you might really enjoy the feeling of effortless compression of the Supersoft.

Edited by c50sooner, 14 April 2018 - 08:50 AM.

Callaway BB Fusion 11* - Diamana Red M+ 60 S
Callaway GBB 3 Wood - Kuro Kage TiNi S
Callaway Apex 20, 23 Hybrid - Kuro Kage Black S
Srixon Z355 26 Hybrid - Miyazaki Jinsoku S
Srixon Z355 6-PW - NS Pro 950GH S
Callaway MD2 47,52,56 - DG S300
Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II
TaylorMade TP5x

#6 morningTeeTime

morningTeeTime

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 498902
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 14 April 2018 - 08:57 AM

+1 for the Callaway Supersoft. The science behind ball compression is the lower the compression rating, the easier it is to have a slow swing and still get the most out of the ball. I think you would be struggling to get the ball in the air and will see your distance drop with a TP5X. People who can swing 105+ wouldn’t have have any trouble getting the distance with a high compression ball, so a high compression will aid them in spin and holding the green.

Have you tried the project (a) in the TM family? It’s more like a mid compression ball but it holds the green very effortlessly for me.

#7 henrysdadda

henrysdadda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2018 - 11:33 AM

Thank you all for responses. Price and brand make no difference to me I simply want something that will help to improve my score. I will certainly see about the velocity ball but maybe I really should be searching for a nice low compression ball.

Thanks again

#8 om18v

om18v

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 384268
  • Handicap:99+
GolfWRX Likes : 134

Posted 14 April 2018 - 11:41 AM

View Posthenrysdadda, on 14 April 2018 - 11:33 AM, said:

Thank you all for responses. Price and brand make no difference to me I simply want something that will help to improve my score. I will certainly see about the velocity ball but maybe I really should be searching for a nice low compression ball.

Thanks again

It really has a lot to do with what you are looking for in a ball.  On a well hit wedge or shorter iron shots I can put some spin on the ball in order to get some kind of response on the greens.  For me, the Velocity has great distance off the tee and long irons but I had difficulty getting it to stop on the greens with any club.  I always liked the E6 but they are no longer made and I haven't tried the two new versions of it.

#9 johnnythunders

johnnythunders

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,492 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 36861
GolfWRX Likes : 194

Posted 14 April 2018 - 03:53 PM

I was diagnosed last week, I’ve been struggling with pain for years but finally found the right doctor. I’m 66 but can’t imagine getting it at 29.my sister is 55 and has it also.

I would look at the Callaway super soft, Kirkland k3, vice pro soft, and the cut balls although I haven’t tested them yet. My swing speed dropped from 90 to low 80s in one year. I’m totally changed my bag but lighter clubs did not work for me. Lighter supposedly equals faster but for me irons goes the best.

Good luck if you want to pm me to chat about your fibro, let me know, starting to try different therapies.

Good luck.
2019bag
Callaway Fusion 10.5 Fuji evo 661 3 stiff
Mizuno jpx 900 4/7 fw
hybrids Rogue 5x, rogue 6
Cobra F7 one length 6-gw, king one black SW
Odyssey 3t blackout or Taylormade Copper Mullen
Callaway Super Soft and Cut 3 os surlyn /backup driver Big Bertha Fusion 9 Diamana stiff r series

#10 Tanner25

Tanner25

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,965 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46356
GolfWRX Likes : 380

Posted 14 April 2018 - 08:05 PM

View Posthenrysdadda, on 14 April 2018 - 02:36 AM, said:

Hi everyone,

Due to a recent diagnosis of fibromyalgia I am having to change my swing some what. Slowing everything down and making it more compact yet efficient is the main aim. (Not what you want to hear or be doing at 29!)

Due to this I have just been fit for new irons (graphite TM m4’s) and driver (g400 with Alta distanza) but no where local does ball fittings.

I have always been quite a high spinner of the ball currently using callaway truvis chromesoft.

Any help would be great.

For a slow swing speed, I'd recommend the Bridgestone Extra Soft. Also, I've had problems with a carpal tunell/wrist, bad back etc and feel like this ball is easy on the hands/body. Plus surprisingly, it has a nice feel and comes in yellow. If you want an upgrade from there, I'd say Wilson Duo U. They are down in price and are a nice urethane and low compression ball.

Edited by Tanner25, 14 April 2018 - 08:06 PM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 TheShaun

TheShaun

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 96319
GolfWRX Likes : 229

Posted 14 April 2018 - 08:10 PM

Wilson Dou U is going to be your ticket to amazing golf

#12 henrysdadda

henrysdadda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 02:08 AM

View Postjohnnythunders, on 14 April 2018 - 03:53 PM, said:

I was diagnosed last week, I’ve been struggling with pain for years but finally found the right doctor. I’m 66 but can’t imagine getting it at 29.my sister is 55 and has it also.

I would look at the Callaway super soft, Kirkland k3, vice pro soft, and the cut balls although I haven’t tested them yet. My swing speed dropped from 90 to low 80s in one year. I’m totally changed my bag but lighter clubs did not work for me. Lighter supposedly equals faster but for me irons goes the best.

Good luck if you want to pm me to chat about your fibro, let me know, starting to try different therapies.

Good luck.

Thank you so much, I really appreciate your comment. Have a great day.

#13 TheShaun

TheShaun

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 96319
GolfWRX Likes : 229

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:57 PM

The other thread reminded of the MG C4. Give it a go. It's a great ball!!

#14 rlb4

rlb4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 476648
  • Handicap:20
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 17 April 2018 - 08:54 AM

Maxfli U/Fli Soft I believe is the lowest compression urethane ball. 4 piece with a 35 compression. Wilson Duo soft U is 55 compression.
Odyssey O-works #7 WBW

#15 myspinonit

myspinonit

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,933 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 162493
GolfWRX Likes : 1014

Posted 17 April 2018 - 09:16 AM

If you want stopping power too, I've gone to Q Star Tour.  Supposedly made for just our swingspeed.

I used the the Srixon Soft Feel, then Callaway Supersoft for maybe a season each after wanting something softer for my age and speed and slightly arthritic hands. Came from the Pro V1 for several years, so I missed some greenside spin, though I still was able to get some spin. Each is a bit softer than Q Star Tour, though the QST isn't hard by any means, esp with a urethane cover.

You might first try either SSF or Supersoft or similar real soft ones first though. Didn't try other real soft ones. I did try the regular QStar (two years ago model) after looking for something more than the Softfeel about 2 years ago but it felt somewhat harder. From memory the regular QStar also felt harder compared to the QST that I adopted last Fall.

Glad you have made the important step to go graphite right away too.  Best wishes.

Ping G400 SFT Driver 12°    Kuro Kage Silver Dual Core TiNi 60
Ping G400 SFT 3 wood 16° Kuro Kage Silver Dual Core TiNi 60
Ping Ping G 7 wood 20.5°(@ large minus) Alta 65
Ping G hybrids 22° & 26° Alta 70
Miura PP9003 6-PW  Steelfiber i70
Vokey SM06:  50.08F,  54.08M,  58.08M  Steelfiber i80
Scotty Cameron Futura 5 CB 34”

#16 NJpatbee

NJpatbee

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 266092
  • Handicap:16.5
GolfWRX Likes : 448

Posted 17 April 2018 - 09:32 AM

There are a number of good low compression ionomer balls if you do not require urethane including Softfli, Supersoft, TruSoft, and e6 Soft.  I have a similar swing speed and still play from the white (member) tees with these balls.

#17 Lancj1

Lancj1

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 378618
  • Handicap:18
  • Ebay ID:Lancj1
GolfWRX Likes : 449

Posted 17 April 2018 - 10:37 AM

View Posthenrysdadda, on 14 April 2018 - 02:36 AM, said:

Hi everyone,

Any help would be great.

I have been given some Wilson DX2 balls and tried one out yesterday - they have a ridiculously low compression - below 30 I think - but they do fly as long as anything and feel buttery soft around the greens.  They can be had very cheap here in the UK and seem far better balls than you might imagine
Disclaimer*

I'm a handicap golfer in my 50's. Any opinions I have about golf equipment or professional golfers or the game in general should be taken as seriously as you would the opinions of a random guy in the fourball ahead of you who just shot 92 but is usually better than that.

#18 MrWolf

MrWolf

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,411 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41616
GolfWRX Likes : 6589

Posted 17 April 2018 - 11:47 AM

Wilson Duo U or Srixon Soft Feel are good options. Don't rule out a ladies ball either.

Has your doc talked to you about the links between fibromyalgia and gut problems? If not you might find this article interesting.

https://chriskresser...-and-leaky-gut/

Edited by MrWolf, 17 April 2018 - 11:48 AM.

///OGA Member #13 - 'The Man from Blighty'///

#19 argee1977

argee1977

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 401588
GolfWRX Likes : 63

Posted 17 April 2018 - 03:04 PM

Further to the previous post, if i had to play only one ball all year round, it would be the new DT Trusoft, i found that is soft, but has just a little more feel than the likes of the extra soft, supersoft, etc, and has good distance and most of all, good spin around the greens. Premium balls are nice, but as you understand, in the UK you get 4 months out of them a year, and at our level it's not as if we get the most out of them, Trusofts have been the biggest surprise for me in the last year, they match the velocity in distance, and the tour soft in feel and spin, no doubt Titleist will remove them soon to sell more of the others!

#20 henrysdadda

henrysdadda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2018 - 12:07 PM

View PostMrWolf, on 17 April 2018 - 11:47 AM, said:

Wilson Duo U or Srixon Soft Feel are good options. Don't rule out a ladies ball either.

Has your doc talked to you about the links between fibromyalgia and gut problems? If not you might find this article interesting.

Thank you very much for this. I will have a read through later. All the best.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 MrWolf

MrWolf

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,411 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41616
GolfWRX Likes : 6589

Posted 19 April 2018 - 04:18 PM

View Posthenrysdadda, on 19 April 2018 - 12:07 PM, said:

View PostMrWolf, on 17 April 2018 - 11:47 AM, said:

Thank you very much for this. I will have a read through later. All the best.

My pleasure. Good luck!
///OGA Member #13 - 'The Man from Blighty'///

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors