Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Just got a new bag, so time for a new WITB!

38 replies to this topic

#31 Rosco1216

Rosco1216

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,230 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 117052
  • Ebay ID:Rosco1216
GolfWRX Likes : 710

Posted 23 May 2018 - 09:14 AM

View Post3 Jack Par, on 23 May 2018 - 09:09 AM, said:

View PostRosco1216, on 22 May 2018 - 05:54 PM, said:

Put a 2" extension in the Byron and a 15" winn counterbalance grip. I do it for all my putters now after years with a tank 1w. That got stolen and I couldn't go back to "normal" length/balance putters because my pace and comfort level never showed up.
I was just thinking yesterday about doing something like that, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to achieve similar balance with the head weight of the Byron. I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that the Tank Cruiser head is heavier than the Byron, though I haven't gotten around to looking up specs.  I already have some shaft extensions, so it would be easy for me to do that, but I'm hesitant to mess with this Byron too much in case I want to sell it, though I guess it would be easy enough to reverse the build if I don't like it.  I'm really liking the Super Stroke grip that came on the Tank, so if I went that route, I'd probably look for something like that.  Time to do a little research...

I did play again with the Tank this morning, and saw some more really promising results on some tougher greens than what I putted on this weekend, so the idea of just keeping the cheap Odyssey and making some money back on the Byron has crossed my mind.

The tank is heavier however so is the superstroke counterbalance grip. Trust me, youíll probably will like this option even better than the tank. A few of my friends have also tried. Give the same feel but not the same overall heft. I understand resale but I noticed youíve already changed out the shaft? The extension can be easily removed and regripped if you want to sell.

Edited by Rosco1216, 23 May 2018 - 09:18 AM.

TM M3 8.2* - Synergy Black Proto 70tx
3/4 wood - no clue
Cobra Utility Iron 18.5* - Matrix Black Tie HM3 105xx.
Miura Giken CB 1008 4-P - PX 7.0
-or- J15CB 4-P - Modus 120 TX(w/sensicore)
SM5 50*, TM EF Tour Grind 55* & 60*, X100
O-works Black 3T, Huntington Beach #8

https://www.instagram.com/ross.novak

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 3 Jack Par

3 Jack Par

I only answer to "Ace" now

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 5,425 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45414
GolfWRX Likes : 1629

Posted 23 May 2018 - 12:25 PM

View PostRosco1216, on 23 May 2018 - 09:14 AM, said:

Put a 2" extension in the Byron and a 15" winn counterbalance grip. I do it for all my putters now after years with a tank 1w. That got stolen and I couldn't go back to "normal" length/balance putters because my pace and comfort level never showed up.
I was just thinking yesterday about doing something like that, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to achieve similar balance with the head weight of the Byron. I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that the Tank Cruiser head is heavier than the Byron, though I haven't gotten around to looking up specs.  I already have some shaft extensions, so it would be easy for me to do that, but I'm hesitant to mess with this Byron too much in case I want to sell it, though I guess it would be easy enough to reverse the build if I don't like it.  I'm really liking the Super Stroke grip that came on the Tank, so if I went that route, I'd probably look for something like that.  Time to do a little research...

I did play again with the Tank this morning, and saw some more really promising results on some tougher greens than what I putted on this weekend, so the idea of just keeping the cheap Odyssey and making some money back on the Byron has crossed my mind.
The tank is heavier however so is the superstroke counterbalance grip. Trust me, you'll probably will like this option even better than the tank. A few of my friends have also tried. Give the same feel but not the same overall heft. I understand resale but I noticed you've already changed out the shaft? The extension can be easily removed and regripped if you want to sell.
Looking at the specs of the Tank grip v. the 15" Winn grip, they're within 5g of each other, so I think that would still be too heavy. I'm also not a huge fan of the feel of Winn grips..
https://www.golfwork...-grip/p/st0085/
https://www.golfwork...-grip/p/wn0112/

I wonder if it might make more sense to go with something like this and throw in one of the 20g Tour Lock Pro weights I have laying around into the butt end of it. That would get me to 105g, which seems like it would be a good weight to balance the 350g head, and would place the counterbalance weight above my hands, which seems like one of the things that's working for me with the Tank Cruiser.
https://www.golfwork...-grip/p/st0024/
Callaway BB Epic SubZero 8*, Aldila Rogue 125 70TX
Tour issue TaylorMade M2 Tour, 14.9*, Aldila Rogue 125 80TX
Srixon Z u45 18* Nippon Modus3 120x
Scratch SB-1 3-PW, Nippon Modus3 120x
Scratch FIT 53*/58*, DS grind, DG S400
Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser #1 38" or Byron Morgan DH89, 38", Carbon Black Ox, black shaft, Winn counterbalance grip

WITB Link

#33 Rosco1216

Rosco1216

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,230 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 117052
  • Ebay ID:Rosco1216
GolfWRX Likes : 710

Posted 23 May 2018 - 12:51 PM

View Post3 Jack Par, on 23 May 2018 - 12:25 PM, said:

View PostRosco1216, on 23 May 2018 - 09:14 AM, said:

The tank is heavier however so is the superstroke counterbalance grip. Trust me, you'll probably will like this option even better than the tank. A few of my friends have also tried. Give the same feel but not the same overall heft. I understand resale but I noticed you've already changed out the shaft? The extension can be easily removed and regripped if you want to sell.
Looking at the specs of the Tank grip v. the 15" Winn grip, they're within 5g of each other, so I think that would still be too heavy. I'm also not a huge fan of the feel of Winn grips..
https://www.golfwork...-grip/p/st0085/
https://www.golfwork...-grip/p/wn0112/

I wonder if it might make more sense to go with something like this and throw in one of the 20g Tour Lock Pro weights I have laying around into the butt end of it. That would get me to 105g, which seems like it would be a good weight to balance the 350g head, and would place the counterbalance weight above my hands, which seems like one of the things that's working for me with the Tank Cruiser.
https://www.golfwork...-grip/p/st0024/
Iím opposite and canít stand the superstroke grips. My current head is 360g with the 15Ē Winn and itís sufficiently weighted and balanced for my preference and I like everything super heavy. 15Ē grip on 37Ē putter is about as long as Iíd personally go. There are those black weight squares you could add to the cavity? But cleaner than lead tape. You could also use a tank grip and just take out the weight in the back or cut it in half. Iíve done that too.
TM M3 8.2* - Synergy Black Proto 70tx
3/4 wood - no clue
Cobra Utility Iron 18.5* - Matrix Black Tie HM3 105xx.
Miura Giken CB 1008 4-P - PX 7.0
-or- J15CB 4-P - Modus 120 TX(w/sensicore)
SM5 50*, TM EF Tour Grind 55* & 60*, X100
O-works Black 3T, Huntington Beach #8

https://www.instagram.com/ross.novak

#34 3 Jack Par

3 Jack Par

• 5,425 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2018 - 02:01 PM

You have a point about the length -- the Tank grip is 15" and a grip two inches longer than that would probably look weird, and might not sit flush because of the taper of the shaft. I'm going to have to look into some options to see if there's a 13-15" grip that would be a good fit.
I probably won't do anything right away, while I play a few more rounds with the Tank and see if it continues to be as good as it has been in a small 36 hole sample size.

Edited by 3 Jack Par, 23 May 2018 - 03:15 PM.

Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser #1 38" or Byron Morgan DH89, 38", Carbon Black Ox, black shaft, Winn counterbalance grip

WITB Link

#35 3 Jack Par

3 Jack Par

• 5,425 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2018 - 11:04 AM

It seems like I always need to have at least one spot in the bag where I'm experimenting, and right now, the 3 wood slot is where I'm messing around. I have the M2 Tour that was in the original post, and I also have a Tour Issue Epic SubZero that I picked up recently after hitting the head a few times in a simulator at a PGA Tour Superstore during a work trip to Atlanta a couple of months ago.  I came across this one with a Kuro Kage Silver 80 TX for a pretty reasonable price. It had barely been used, and the shaft is one I'd been curious to try. It also has two 12 gram weights, which I was hoping would provide a good balance of low spin and forgiveness. I've played it a couple of times and once tested it side by side with the M2 tour during a solo round early one morning. I found that it seems to work best for me turned down a degree, and distance-wise, the two are the same. I'm looking for a little extra forgiveness, and the jury is still out on which one wins in that department. I'm currently using the SubZero to get a solid sample, including in a local tournament this coming weekend on a course where I know I'll be hitting it off the tee at least 3-4 times.
I also am in the process of converting my Byron into a counterbalanced putter. I put on a shaft extension and I ended up ordering one of the 15" Winn grips, as it seems like the best option for this conversion. I wanted to try a little different feel than the SuperStroke grip, as I feel like that grip will mute the feel of the Byron head. Once the grip gets here, I can fine tune the weighting to get the balance where I want it. I'm hoping with the additional length, the weight of the grip will work as is, but I might need to add a little extra weight on the lower end of the club.
The counterbalanced setup does seem to be giving me decent results so far. I've at least been starting it on my intended line most of the time. I have commitment issues when it comes to believing that my read is correct on short putts, so it hasn't totally fixed me, but I've made a bunch of putts in the 7-15' range over the few rounds I've played with the Tank Cruiser. I might experiment with a pencil/saw grip on putts from about 5' and in depending on how things go over the next few rounds, but overall, the longer counterbalanced putter seems to be a good fit for me.

A few pics of the Subzero:
EE3ABE31-1534-4B6A-843C-9302CA15D00B.jpeg 7C1A5C87-C812-415D-B438-61250B6D42BC.jpeg 955CFCAE-2355-4302-AA7D-5BFFFF969E8D.jpeg 57FB1266-939D-4877-953F-C511B8B03059.jpeg

Edited by 3 Jack Par, 30 May 2018 - 11:11 AM.

WITB Link

#36 BleederFade

BleederFade

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 496342
  • Handicap:0.2
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 31 May 2018 - 03:36 PM

Awesome setup. How is the bag working out? I am thinking about grabbing one for myself but I am worried about the weight and how much room there is for clubs, as online says its only a 7.75 inch opening.
Titleist 913 D2 9.5*   Diamana D+ 72X
Titleist 913F 15*   Aldila Tour Green 75X
Titleist 718 T-MB 2 True Temper Dynamic Gold X100
Mizuno MP18 4 - PW  True Temper Dynamic Gold X100
Titleist Vokey SM7 Jet Black 52.12 F, 56.14 F True Temper Dynamic Gold X100, S400
Taylormade HiToe 60* True Temper Dynamic Gold S400
Ping Anser TR 1966

#37 3 Jack Par

3 Jack Par

• 5,425 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2018 - 04:17 PM

View PostBleederFade, on 31 May 2018 - 03:36 PM, said:

Awesome setup. How is the bag working out? I am thinking about grabbing one for myself but I am worried about the weight and how much room there is for clubs, as online says its only a 7.75 inch opening.
I like the bag -- it's a little snug, but I usually haven't had any real issues getting clubs in and out. If you use oversize grips or have a bunch of head covers, it could be problematic, but it looks like you're like me and only have 3 head covers, assuming you use one for your putter, the smaller opening isn't a big deal. It's a really good walking bag, whether you carry or push, and it's pretty good on the back of a cart, too.

WITB Link

#38 3 Jack Par

3 Jack Par

• 5,425 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2018 - 07:43 PM

I extended and regripped the Byron, but Iím not sure if anything is going to be able to kick the Tank Cruiser out of the bag. I played in a tournament today and putted as well as I ever have in competition. I had 28 putts, hitting 11 GIR, and shot a decent number on a day where I cost myself strokes with 2 bad decisions and 2 really bad swings (resulting in a ball O.B. and a double on the 1st hole, 2 balls in the water, and another one into some weeds where I couldnít get up & down. I made a bunch of putts, Including one from off the green for an eagle, and the only one I missed that I thought I should make was a 5-footer that I pulled slightly. And I had a couple of others that lipped out or burned edges, but the bottom line is that Iím starting it on my line and putting with some confidence, which is a nice change of pace.

Edited by 3 Jack Par, 03 June 2018 - 07:44 PM.

WITB Link

#39 3 Jack Par

3 Jack Par

• 5,425 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2018 - 09:09 AM

Update on putting now that I have a larger sample size. I'm up to 14 rounds with the Tank Cruiser in the bag, and my putting has continued to be a strong point of my game in a way that it never has before for any extended period of time. It's especially been noticeable on short putts. This putter just seems really easy to align, and the balance of the putter seems to promote a more consistent stroke eliminating the tendency I have to snatch the putter back inside the line, which led to pulls and pushes (pulls, especially). The one area that remains a bit of a work in progress is on short downhill putts. The ones that you barely have to touch to get them to the hole, I still seem to have trouble picking the correct line, so that's the area that I still need to work on. I've messed around with the lengthened Byron on the putting mat I have at home, and took it out on the practice green one afternoon last week, and it seems like I'm more consistent with it than I was when it was a standard length putter, but I noticed that I was still seeing better results, especially on short putts, with the Odyssey. There's a pretty good chance I'm going to end up selling the Byron at this point. It's a really expensive backup.

It would be nice if my ball striking would come to the level of my putting, which is something I never thought I'd say. I've had some struggles lately with my iron game, mainly just directional misses. I think I've been trying to hit too many 100% shots instead of flighting the ball and/or taking one less club and hitting a 3/4 shot to get it the right distance. When I overswing, I often hit pulls. In a match this weekend, I shot 6 over for the day, and I was 5 over on just the par 3s, mainly because I hit pulls on two of them that put me in bad spots left of the green with no real chance to get up & down (some other poor execution resulted in doubles on both holes). I have about a week & a half coming up starting the middle of this week where I'm going to be traveling and I won't play during that time, and a little time away sometimes helps to break some of the bad habits that creep into my swing.

The 3 wood competition has ended, I think, with the M2 Tour with Rogue Silver 80x as the winner. I think the SubZero could be a contender with a different shaft, but I don't know that there would be a real performance difference to make the experimentation worth it.

Edited by 3 Jack Par, 18 June 2018 - 09:12 AM.

WITB Link

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors