Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Drivers for Juniors.


45 replies to this topic

#31 Palmetto Golfer

Palmetto Golfer

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 179906
  • Joined: 05/09/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 137

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:29 PM

View Posthangontight, on 16 April 2018 - 07:18 PM, said:

View PostPalmetto Golfer, on 16 April 2018 - 03:00 PM, said:

FYI...my son was fitted for a Ping G400.  He has his old driver for 2 years.  Conservatively, he has gotten an extra 15 yards. Took it on the course this weekend and for the first time he had every drive over 200 yards. Hit one drive 225 which is easily his best ever. These distances were measured using Gamegolf and not just eyeballing it.

As they get older, finding a good fitter is very helpful. Now, I have to go work my 2nd job to pay for it!!!!

Where is you fitter?

David Ayers...great guy and likes helping junior golfers.
http://www.lowcountrycustomgolf.com/


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#32 Belmont148

Belmont148

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 474430
  • Joined: 07/10/2017
  • Location:Carolinas
GolfWRX Likes : 581

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:30 PM

Best fitter in SC. My son will be there in a few years.
Current Bag:

G400 SFT 10* Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60TS
Cobra F7 3W Aldila Rogue Silver 70S
F6 Baffler 17.5* Aldila Rogue Black 70 stiff
Ping G25 3H and 4H Stock R Flex
Ping I200 5-UW Project X LZ 5.5
MD Forged 56* S200
Scotty Studio Stainless Newport 2

2

#33 kcap

kcap

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 417624
  • Joined: 03/28/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 98

Posted 17 April 2018 - 05:43 AM

Does anyone know a good junior fitter  in the north east?  Prefer Tri State.

3

#34 hangontight

hangontight

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 477968
  • Joined: 08/07/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 229

Posted 17 April 2018 - 06:12 AM

View PostPalmetto Golfer, on 16 April 2018 - 08:29 PM, said:

View Posthangontight, on 16 April 2018 - 07:18 PM, said:

View PostPalmetto Golfer, on 16 April 2018 - 03:00 PM, said:

FYI...my son was fitted for a Ping G400.  He has his old driver for 2 years.  Conservatively, he has gotten an extra 15 yards. Took it on the course this weekend and for the first time he had every drive over 200 yards. Hit one drive 225 which is easily his best ever. These distances were measured using Gamegolf and not just eyeballing it.

As they get older, finding a good fitter is very helpful. Now, I have to go work my 2nd job to pay for it!!!!

Where is you fitter?

David Ayers...great guy and likes helping junior golfers.
http://www.lowcountrycustomgolf.com/

Heís Great.  Iíve talked with David a few times and have had some club work done there.  Close to going to see him for my own driver fitting actually.

4

#35 leezer99

leezer99

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
  • Joined: 09/10/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 784

Posted 17 April 2018 - 07:58 AM

View Postkcap, on 17 April 2018 - 05:43 AM, said:

Does anyone know a good junior fitter  in the north east?  Prefer Tri State.

Took my son to Cool Clubs and they did a great job.  Looks like there are two near you... one in NY and one in CT.  The detail they go into is a little overwhelming but very cool if you're into that sort of thing.


5

#36 Belmont148

Belmont148

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 474430
  • Joined: 07/10/2017
  • Location:Carolinas
GolfWRX Likes : 581

Posted 17 April 2018 - 08:11 AM

http://golfdealsands...dies-hl-driver/

Golf deals and steals has some great deals usually if you are looking for TM products or Matrix shafts. This Jetspeed driver popped up on sale today. Really great driver only about 3-4 years old but with a great shaft already for Jrs. and the color scheme is the same as the men's head. A quick plug and play solution for $90, just trim the butt and some lead tape if needed for SW.
Current Bag:

G400 SFT 10* Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60TS
Cobra F7 3W Aldila Rogue Silver 70S
F6 Baffler 17.5* Aldila Rogue Black 70 stiff
Ping G25 3H and 4H Stock R Flex
Ping I200 5-UW Project X LZ 5.5
MD Forged 56* S200
Scotty Studio Stainless Newport 2

6

#37 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,465 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
  • Joined: 03/16/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 2008

Posted 17 April 2018 - 08:13 AM

View PostBelmont148, on 17 April 2018 - 08:11 AM, said:

http://golfdealsands...dies-hl-driver/

Golf deals and steals has some great deals usually if you are looking for TM products or Matrix shafts. This Jetspeed driver popped up on sale today. Really great driver only about 3-4 years old but with a great shaft already for Jrs. and the color scheme is the same as the men's head. A quick plug and play solution for $90, just trim the butt and some lead tape if needed for SW.

The JetSpeed is a great driver for Juniors.  My son owned two of them.  It was cheaper to buy used than to get a new shaft.  I think I bought the second from Deals and Steals.  Have purchased several items from that site.

7

#38 kekoa

kekoa

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,830 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Joined: 10/02/2008
  • Location:in the hole
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1758

Posted 17 April 2018 - 02:12 PM

View Posthangontight, on 15 April 2018 - 01:43 PM, said:

OEM Driver build with Flynn shaft- USKG spec legnth or go longer (& by how much)?

I think USKG really has it down when it comes to lengths.  

We played with a kids a few weeks ago who was playing a driver way too long for him and he was hitting a lot of drop kicks.  Even worse, he was compensating with irons resulting in shanks.  He has since cut the driver down to his normal playing length and everything is good again.

8

#39 hangontight

hangontight

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 477968
  • Joined: 08/07/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 229

Posted 17 April 2018 - 02:51 PM

View Postkekoa, on 17 April 2018 - 02:12 PM, said:

View Posthangontight, on 15 April 2018 - 01:43 PM, said:

OEM Driver build with Flynn shaft- USKG spec legnth or go longer (& by how much)?

I think USKG really has it down when it comes to lengths.  

We played with a kids a few weeks ago who was playing a driver way too long for him and he was hitting a lot of drop kicks.  Even worse, he was compensating with irons resulting in shanks.  He has since cut the driver down to his normal playing length and everything is good again.

Agree.  I just ordered a used XR16 13.5* head on ebay and a shaft from flynn.  Went with US Kids 51" TS spec , 34", instead of the Flynn spec 35".  1" may not make a difference, but erring on the shorter side.  Will share results of the new set up in a week or so once it all comes in.    Will custom order a 50" shaft for DCP this summer though. :pimp:

9

#40 BloctonGolf11

BloctonGolf11

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 376734
  • Joined: 05/20/2015
  • Location:West Blocton, AL
  • Handicap:8
  • Ebay ID:bdgreene
GolfWRX Likes : 165

Posted 17 April 2018 - 02:53 PM

View Posthangontight, on 17 April 2018 - 02:51 PM, said:

View Postkekoa, on 17 April 2018 - 02:12 PM, said:

View Posthangontight, on 15 April 2018 - 01:43 PM, said:

OEM Driver build with Flynn shaft- USKG spec legnth or go longer (& by how much)?

I think USKG really has it down when it comes to lengths.  

We played with a kids a few weeks ago who was playing a driver way too long for him and he was hitting a lot of drop kicks.  Even worse, he was compensating with irons resulting in shanks.  He has since cut the driver down to his normal playing length and everything is good again.

Agree.  I just ordered a used XR16 13.5* head on ebay and a shaft from flynn.  Went with US Kids 51" TS spec , 34", instead of the Flynn spec 35".  1" may not make a difference, but erring on the shorter side.  Will share results of the new set up in a week or so once it all comes in. Will custom order a 50" shaft for DCP this summer though. :pimp:

Same driver head my son went with but we had to go 54" spec. You will love it! Extremely forgiving!

Dad's Bag

D: Ping G30 10 degree, Aldila Reg Flex
3W, and 7W: Cleveland Black, Bassara, Lite Flex
5i - PW: Titleist AP1 716, DG XP90 Reg Flex
W: 48 Cleveland Rotex 3
W: 52 Cleveland Rotex 2
W: 56 Vokey SM6 F Grind
P: TP Mills Flat-T Proto/TP Mills Softtail/Nike Oven MC-07w Prototype
Ball: Srixon Q-Star

Son's Bag (8 years old)
D: Callaway XR16, Flynn Shaft (Set to 15.5)
3W: Cobra Biocell, Flynn Shaft (Set to 19.5)
4H: Cobra Biocell, Flynn Shaft (Set to 25)
5i-PW: US Kids Tour Series TS2
W: 52, 56 degree US Kids Tour Series TS2
P: Nike Ignite 006/US Kids Tour Sandhills/Odyssey 2-Ball XJ
Ball: Wilson Duo Soft/Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#41 darter79

darter79

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66967
  • Joined: 10/03/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 293

Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:25 AM

I'll say this about driver length.  While US kids does have it down to a science they will always lean on the conservative side of things. I think kids should play the longest driver they can control. Key word being control, going longer just for distance isn't always good, but it can be just depends on the kid.  Some case that might be standard US kids length, some its shorter and some its longer. My daughter been playing a 36" driver since last August and the driver is the strength of her game if I went just by US kids she be playing a 34 (her fairway wood is that long).   We have a 38" that we practice with and I can see her moving into that with in a month or so.  Which is the length for 57" kids when she currently around 53".   Bottom line is you have to experiment to see what works for your child.  Just like we have to get fitted some adults play better with a 45.5 some 44.5 or even 44, find what works best for your child, but US kids lengths are not an end all.

11

#42 Belmont148

Belmont148

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 474430
  • Joined: 07/10/2017
  • Location:Carolinas
GolfWRX Likes : 581

Posted 19 April 2018 - 10:02 AM

View Postdarter79, on 19 April 2018 - 08:25 AM, said:

I'll say this about driver length.  While US kids does have it down to a science they will always lean on the conservative side of things. I think kids should play the longest driver they can control. Key word being control, going longer just for distance isn't always good, but it can be just depends on the kid.  Some case that might be standard US kids length, some its shorter and some its longer. My daughter been playing a 36" driver since last August and the driver is the strength of her game if I went just by US kids she be playing a 34 (her fairway wood is that long).   We have a 38" that we practice with and I can see her moving into that with in a month or so.  Which is the length for 57" kids when she currently around 53".   Bottom line is you have to experiment to see what works for your child.  Just like we have to get fitted some adults play better with a 45.5 some 44.5 or even 44, find what works best for your child, but US kids lengths are not an end all.

Completely agree. I think USK could really step up their game if they went adjustable woods and hybrids, and incorporated a shaft upgrade program. Who plays a glued hosel wood anymore?

Personally, it's hard to beat buying a Cobra Jr. driver for $200, and then getting the free shaft to go into a Fwy wood, and grabbing a head from Hurricane Golf for $30-$50. $250 total and have some top of the line equipment with nice Jr. shafts that work well.
Current Bag:

G400 SFT 10* Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60TS
Cobra F7 3W Aldila Rogue Silver 70S
F6 Baffler 17.5* Aldila Rogue Black 70 stiff
Ping G25 3H and 4H Stock R Flex
Ping I200 5-UW Project X LZ 5.5
MD Forged 56* S200
Scotty Studio Stainless Newport 2

12

#43 Shanks2424

Shanks2424

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 439046
  • Joined: 08/30/2016
  • Location:Bethalto
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 19 April 2018 - 02:25 PM

I will give you all a update this weekend. My wife is going out of town for the weekend so its just me and my son. So we will be going to the driving range and I will let you know how he likes his new driver. I cant wait to see him hit it. I will try to post a video of him hitting it. Also I cant wait to get him a cobra bio cell 5/7 wood and 4/5 bio cell hybrid and put the flynn shafts in it.
What's In The Bag 2018
Brad's Bag (DAD)
Driver- Titleist 909D3 8.5 Matrix HD7 Stiff
3 Wood- Titleist 904F 15* TT Dynamic Gold S300
Hybrid- Adams A12 Pro 18* Project X PXI 6.0
3-PW- Mizuno MP-32 TT Dynamic Gold S300
Wedges-Titleist Vokey Spin Milled CC 54/58 TT Dynamic Gold S300
Putter- Odyssey Tank 1 34 Inches Super Stroke Flatso 1.0
Ball- Titleist Pro V1/ Srixon Z Star
Grips Lamkin UTX Wrap 2 layers of Tape

What's In The Bag 2018
Gavin's Bag (SON) 8 years old
Driver- Cobra FlyZ 13.5 Cobra FlyZ Shaft White Lady Flex 36 in

5 Wood-Cobra F7 5/6 20* Acer Velocity Orange Lady Flex 34.5 in
Hybrid- Flynn Golf Velocity VTMax 27* Acer Velocity Silver Lady Flex
Irons-Flynn Golf Velocity VTmax Irons 6-pw Acer Velocity Silver Lady Flex
Wedges- La Jolla Junior SW 56* Acer Velocity Silver Lady Flex
Putter- Taylormade Rossa Daytona Tour 27in
Bag- Maxfli Junior Bag Blue/White

13

#44 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,465 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
  • Joined: 03/16/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 2008

Posted 19 April 2018 - 02:34 PM

View PostShanks2424, on 19 April 2018 - 02:25 PM, said:

I will give you all a update this weekend. My wife is going out of town for the weekend so its just me and my son. So we will be going to the driving range and I will let you know how he likes his new driver. I cant wait to see him hit it. I will try to post a video of him hitting it. Also I cant wait to get him a cobra bio cell 5/7 wood and 4/5 bio cell hybrid and put the flynn shafts in it.

Good Luck.  I remember that age.  It is usually a lot more fun and inexpensive to try new things out when they are younger.  As they get older it is "Son of a bleep bleep bleep.  How am I going to tell or explain to my wife that my son needs a new ______________ (fill in the blank)?"

Edited by heavy_hitter, 19 April 2018 - 02:36 PM.


14

#45 Shanks2424

Shanks2424

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 439046
  • Joined: 08/30/2016
  • Location:Bethalto
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 19 April 2018 - 03:19 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 19 April 2018 - 02:34 PM, said:

View PostShanks2424, on 19 April 2018 - 02:25 PM, said:

I will give you all a update this weekend. My wife is going out of town for the weekend so its just me and my son. So we will be going to the driving range and I will let you know how he likes his new driver. I cant wait to see him hit it. I will try to post a video of him hitting it. Also I cant wait to get him a cobra bio cell 5/7 wood and 4/5 bio cell hybrid and put the flynn shafts in it.

Good Luck.  I remember that age.  It is usually a lot more fun and inexpensive to try new things out when they are younger.  As they get older it is "Son of a bleep bleep bleep.  How am I going to tell or explain to my wife that my son needs a new ______________ (fill in the blank)?"

hahahahah that is exactly what happened last saturday when we got my son his Fly Z driver. I say sometimes to my wife I did a thing. My son walks in the door holding his new driver and says to his mom. Umm Mom, dad and I did a thing.

What's In The Bag 2018
Brad's Bag (DAD)
Driver- Titleist 909D3 8.5 Matrix HD7 Stiff
3 Wood- Titleist 904F 15* TT Dynamic Gold S300
Hybrid- Adams A12 Pro 18* Project X PXI 6.0
3-PW- Mizuno MP-32 TT Dynamic Gold S300
Wedges-Titleist Vokey Spin Milled CC 54/58 TT Dynamic Gold S300
Putter- Odyssey Tank 1 34 Inches Super Stroke Flatso 1.0
Ball- Titleist Pro V1/ Srixon Z Star
Grips Lamkin UTX Wrap 2 layers of Tape

What's In The Bag 2018
Gavin's Bag (SON) 8 years old
Driver- Cobra FlyZ 13.5 Cobra FlyZ Shaft White Lady Flex 36 in

5 Wood-Cobra F7 5/6 20* Acer Velocity Orange Lady Flex 34.5 in
Hybrid- Flynn Golf Velocity VTMax 27* Acer Velocity Silver Lady Flex
Irons-Flynn Golf Velocity VTmax Irons 6-pw Acer Velocity Silver Lady Flex
Wedges- La Jolla Junior SW 56* Acer Velocity Silver Lady Flex
Putter- Taylormade Rossa Daytona Tour 27in
Bag- Maxfli Junior Bag Blue/White

15

#46 Shanks2424

Shanks2424

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 439046
  • Joined: 08/30/2016
  • Location:Bethalto
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 22 April 2018 - 08:48 PM

sorry guys i forgot to take some pictures and video today of my boy hitting it. We are going next weekend I will try to remember next time.
What's In The Bag 2018
Brad's Bag (DAD)
Driver- Titleist 909D3 8.5 Matrix HD7 Stiff
3 Wood- Titleist 904F 15* TT Dynamic Gold S300
Hybrid- Adams A12 Pro 18* Project X PXI 6.0
3-PW- Mizuno MP-32 TT Dynamic Gold S300
Wedges-Titleist Vokey Spin Milled CC 54/58 TT Dynamic Gold S300
Putter- Odyssey Tank 1 34 Inches Super Stroke Flatso 1.0
Ball- Titleist Pro V1/ Srixon Z Star
Grips Lamkin UTX Wrap 2 layers of Tape

What's In The Bag 2018
Gavin's Bag (SON) 8 years old
Driver- Cobra FlyZ 13.5 Cobra FlyZ Shaft White Lady Flex 36 in

5 Wood-Cobra F7 5/6 20* Acer Velocity Orange Lady Flex 34.5 in
Hybrid- Flynn Golf Velocity VTMax 27* Acer Velocity Silver Lady Flex
Irons-Flynn Golf Velocity VTmax Irons 6-pw Acer Velocity Silver Lady Flex
Wedges- La Jolla Junior SW 56* Acer Velocity Silver Lady Flex
Putter- Taylormade Rossa Daytona Tour 27in
Bag- Maxfli Junior Bag Blue/White

16



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors