Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Trying to stop a backswing that's too long

37 replies to this topic

#31 TightStick

TightStick

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 354541
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 63

Posted 13 April 2018 - 11:52 PM

View PostNard_S, on 12 April 2018 - 07:15 PM, said:

Try rotating right forearm CCW on back swing.

Try take away to P2 where you keep right elbow higher than left and only allow left elbow to overtake right via arm fold. See Rory or Adam Scott. Feels strange but I had success with it because of very same problem of arm over run. I'm schooling it now.

Be mindful of lower body. Knees that roll outside of feet, hips that sway don't help right? Load against right foot, unload against left with rotation.

I've have worked on shortening my swing - with little success. Just tried the idea of rotating right arm CCW and initial results seemed very promising. Def shortened my swing and I was flushing the ball. Will work more with this. Thanks for the tip.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 anth

anth

From the Land Down Under

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,458 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 22863
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 1080

Posted 14 April 2018 - 01:13 AM

I've tried for many years and have pretty much given up.  I didn't always overswing, but at some point I changed something and it crept in.

I focus now on solid contact and maintaining the wrist angles I have at setup, trying not to add hinge at the top.  Keep my right arm close to my side in the backswing helps too.

Probably still long in reality but the feel to me is one of being compact
Callaway GBB Epic 10.5
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16
Srixon Z H45 19 Hybrid
Srixon Z U45 23 Utility
Srixon Z 545 5 - AW
Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 54 & 60
Odyssey Metal X Milled #7
TaylorMade TP5

#33 Nard_S

Nard_S

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 335269
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 1651

Posted 14 April 2018 - 07:09 AM

View PostTightStick, on 13 April 2018 - 11:52 PM, said:

View PostNard_S, on 12 April 2018 - 07:15 PM, said:

Try rotating right forearm CCW on back swing.

Try take away to P2 where you keep right elbow higher than left and only allow left elbow to overtake right via arm fold. See Rory or Adam Scott. Feels strange but I had success with it because of very same problem of arm over run. I'm schooling it now.

Be mindful of lower body. Knees that roll outside of feet, hips that sway don't help right? Load against right foot, unload against left with rotation.

I've have worked on shortening my swing - with little success. Just tried the idea of rotating right arm CCW and initial results seemed very promising. Def shortened my swing and I was flushing the ball. Will work more with this. Thanks for the tip.

Nice,......keep them soft It's helped me a lot. What I probably should have mentioned too is holding shoulder plane on tilt and not flattening it out as they approach top of swing. I'm seeing this going on with my preseason range time. Do both right and swing looks, feels shorter and more controlled.

#34 garyt

garyt

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 311399
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 35

Posted 14 April 2018 - 07:28 AM

I can't beat the overswing (actually arm collapse in my case) for anything. Mine crept in when I used to play after work and we would have to hustle to beat a league going out. I'd swing a driver with headcover on and let the arms collapse so the weight would pull me into a bigger stretch. That crept into my swing and now I can't lose it. I used to not even get to parallel.

#35 jimb6golf

jimb6golf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135116
GolfWRX Likes : 317

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:46 AM

View Postgaryt, on 14 April 2018 - 07:28 AM, said:

I can't beat the overswing (actually arm collapse in my case) for anything. Mine crept in when I used to play after work and we would have to hustle to beat a league going out. I'd swing a driver with headcover on and let the arms collapse so the weight would pull me into a bigger stretch. That crept into my swing and now I can't lose it. I used to not even get to parallel.

Know the feeling.  I think I was so conscious of overswinging and getting on plane that I watched my backswing in practice and that habit crept into my swing so that know I end up overswinging and also my head turns too much away from the ball.  Been difficult to simplify and shorten my backswing and get more centered in my overall swing, but I'm working on it and showing a little improvement as a result.  Can just feel the 'correct' swing at times.  Don't think my scores will very good for a while but hopefully if I can correct the swing flaws I'll get back to lower scores with improved control, distance and strike.  We'll see, but I'm certainly going to try to fix my overall swing and hopefully stop destroying my knee(s) and back as a result.

#36 bladehunter

bladehunter

I have a great profile! Especially from the side !

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,990 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291449
  • Handicap:NONE
GolfWRX Likes : 14465

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:15 AM

View PostPetunia Sprinkle, on 12 April 2018 - 05:28 PM, said:

Setting your wrists early won't do it. It might make it easier, but it won't shorten your swing.

As long as you feel like you're 'shortening your swing', you'll always feel robbed of something, or at least, stifled. You have to find a different swing concept that makes a relatively shorter swing feel just right, or you'll struggle with it.

this^^^^^^  you cannot in my opinion shorten the same swing that you have and have it last....    For me it was the change the feel of my core starting the backswing and my hands and arms simply following along ....and the thought of the club alwasy staying in front of me ...never let it get behind you .... that plus tempo.... always always slow going back then fire down .....  but hey ... i dont now squat about it except what work for me
17 M1 8.7  Tour Issue Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX
17 M1 14.5  Tour issue Graphite Design   AD DI 8X
Titleist 816H2 21 Graphite Design AD DI 105X
Miura 1957 Small Blades 4-9 Modus 130X
Vokey  sm7 46f sm6  50f  54M  300 series 59  Modus 125X
009 GSS 1.5  , Beached, tungsten sole weights, vertical stamp face

#37 Nard_S

Nard_S

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 335269
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 1651

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:59 AM

Saturday, I had time and ended up hitting about 250 balls. 1st 150 I was okay but pop  was lacking and things were frustrating. I was obsessing with hands and arms and top of swing and so on. At that point I just focused on the core. Shoulders, abs and back muscles and the triggering of them. Things really turned around from there and past 2 months of ball striking malaise disappeared.

Highlights that a lot of over swing issues are rooted in faults of wind up, firing and  release of core.That hand/arm discipline is important but it is only part of the problem and can only be only part of the solution. I've spent about year  trying to manage transition and get in a great P6 position to rip through the ball. Probably been too hand/arm focused throughout and not giving the dark matter of core behavior enough attention. Lesson for me, don't ignore the core. Cheers.

#38 thug the bunny

thug the bunny

We are spirits in a material world

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 251822
  • Handicap:8.2
GolfWRX Likes : 12399

Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:58 PM

View PostNard_S, on 16 April 2018 - 08:59 AM, said:

Saturday, I had time and ended up hitting about 250 balls. 1st 150 I was okay but pop was lacking and things were frustrating. I was obsessing with hands and arms and top of swing and so on. At that point I just focused on the core. Shoulders, abs and back muscles and the triggering of them. Things really turned around from there and past 2 months of ball striking malaise disappeared. Highlights that a lot of over swing issues are rooted in faults of wind up, firing and release of core.That hand/arm discipline is important but it is only part of the problem and can only be only part of the solution. I've spent about year trying to manage transition and get in a great P6 position to rip through the ball. Probably been too hand/arm focused throughout and not giving the dark matter of core behavior enough attention. Lesson for me, don't ignore the core. Cheers.

As I get older and put more miles behind me I realize that so many of the high cap swings I see are very deficient on shoulder/torso turn, and folding/dragging the arms/hands across the chest instead. I believe WRX lingo calls this 'arm overrun'. Regardless of semantics, I found over the past half decade that starting the takeaway with a shoulder turn and 'keeping the arms/hands in front of the chest' has greatly increased the quality of my ball contact. It feels like I am taking it away outside of the line. Only let the arms fold over the chest at the top, pause, and then try to deliver with the arms in front of the chest again at impact. It does require timing, but is a first step to eliminating the 'arm swing'.
The absolute perfection of existence, life, and aesthetic beauty is the work not only of evolution but of a powerful being.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors