Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Do you adjust Swing Weight when you cut clubs

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 golfer55082

golfer55082

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 433258
GolfWRX Likes : 41

Posted 12 April 2018 - 10:27 AM

When you cut adult clubs to fit your kids’ height, do you add head weight to offset the Swing Weight decrease? According to common wisdom, every 1 inch equals 3 Swing Weight units. So if a D3 45.5’ driver is cut to 43.5”, the Swing Weight will drop to C7.  Do you do anything with it or leave it to whatever swing weight it ends up?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 dhartmann34

dhartmann34

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51852
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 185

Posted 12 April 2018 - 10:54 AM

View Postgolfer55082, on 12 April 2018 - 10:27 AM, said:

When you cut adult clubs to fit your kids’ height, do you add head weight to offset the Swing Weight decrease? According to common wisdom, every 1 inch equals 3 Swing Weight units. So if a D3 45.5’ driver is cut to 43.5”, the Swing Weight will drop to C7.  Do you do anything with it or leave it to whatever swing weight it ends up?
If it's clubs for myself, I'd be adjusting the SW to what I want it to be. If it's for your kids, most likely, they're just starting out so it's not a big deal. Once they get better, you get them your own clubs fit to their specs.

#3 Golfingdawg19

Golfingdawg19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 354301
GolfWRX Likes : 127

Posted 12 April 2018 - 11:09 AM

When you cut adult clubs to fit your kids' height, do you add head weight to offset the Swing Weight decrease? According to common wisdom, every 1 inch equals 3 Swing Weight units. So if a D3 45.5' driver is cut to 43.5", the Swing Weight will drop to C7.  Do you do anything with it or leave it to whatever swing weight it ends up?

I never thought about this until my son started taking lesson with a new instructor and he recommended adding some lead tape to the bottom of the head to add some swing weight to the club. He mentioned what you stated above about how cutting down the club drastically cut down the swing weight.

#4 kcap

kcap

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 417624
GolfWRX Likes : 56

Posted 12 April 2018 - 11:57 AM

Cutting down a shaft impacts flex and swing weight. It’s my understanding that weight needs to be added to make sure it’s balanced and appropriate.

I tried to become a amateur club fitter for my son a couple of years ago.  I got a bunch of junior shafts and second hand heads from eBay.  Not to forget all the tools!
We were bending, changing the weight and doing everything possible to fit him to a good set..

Fortunately I have day job cause club fitting was not my thing!  I still change grips but that is it.

I realized quite early with my guy that he cares a lot about feel and I could never recreate that with my amateur skills.  

#5 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481904
GolfWRX Likes : 409

Posted 12 April 2018 - 12:01 PM

Probably not the "end all, be all" on club fitting for juniors, but Wishon states http://wishongolf.co...ing-Juniors.pdf

The question here is to define "junior". Is it a beginning junior at 6-10 years old? Is it a junior at 11-15 years old who is on the cusp of going to adult clubs at adult length (perhaps cut short 1" from standard). For the young (6-10) junior, swingweight really can't be measured. Total clubhead weight is the thing to watch.

*************************************************************************************
Length is a definite “A” effect specification for junior fitting.
The longer the club length, the more difficult the clubs will be for juniors who are smaller and lighter in weight to be able to control in the swing and hit the ball in the air more often.

Club Total Weight/Headweight is a definite “A” effect specification for junior fitting.
The heavier the clubs, the harder they will be for the junior player to swing with a semblance of control to be able to hit the ball solid and well up in the air a high percentage of the time. Because of the much shorter length requirements of junior golfers, clubmakers will build to a total weight instead of a swingweight. Shorter lengths make it impossible to use a 14” fulcrum length swingweight scale. Hence when building to a specific total weight requirement, all weight addition needed will be added to the clubhead. To help in the total weight fitting for the junior, when it is financially possible, graphite shafts should be used to keep the total weights lighter. Some component companies do offer junior graphite shafts which are both more flexible than the junior steel shafts available, and are not that expensive.

Set Makeup is a definite “A” effect specification for junior fitting
Follow the same rule for fitting set makeup for juniors as for adults –fairway woods with higher lofts and no conventional iron longer than a 5-iron. In other words, until the junior golfer has displayed a definite ability to get the ball well up in the air almost all the time, no wood should have a loft less than 15-16 degrees and no iron should have a loft lower than 28-30 degrees. Whenever possible, build a separate SW to the PW in the junior set so the young player can learn as many short game shots and skills as soon as possible.
*************************************************************************************

Edited by wildcatden, 12 April 2018 - 12:01 PM.

#6 darter79

darter79

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66967
GolfWRX Likes : 198

Posted 12 April 2018 - 12:16 PM

Total weight is probably more important but I thing SW has a factor as well. I wouldn't go crazy with an over heavy head, but as with all things some drivers have weights you can take out and try (our Ping does at least) to get the right fit.  Have to experiment to see what works for your child.  Most people always forget about the grip. Getting a lighter grip will make the swing weight go up, vs a heavier one makes it go down.

#7 Golfingdawg19

Golfingdawg19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 354301
GolfWRX Likes : 127

Posted 12 April 2018 - 12:45 PM

When you cut adult clubs to fit your kids' height, do you add head weight to offset the Swing Weight decrease? According to common wisdom, every 1 inch equals 3 Swing Weight units. So if a D3 45.5' driver is cut to 43.5", the Swing Weight will drop to C7.  Do you do anything with it or leave it to whatever swing weight it ends up?

A good one to ask this question to would be Mike Flynn of Flynn Golf. He is custom club fitter that specializes in junior clubs. You can go to his website and shoot him an email and he usually responds right away. He would be as close to an expert in junior golf clubs as anyone.

#8 wlm

wlm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102822
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 12 April 2018 - 04:37 PM

What I did for my son when he was younger, was to buy the various clubs (irons and woods) off of eBay with a senior flex shaft. I would then cut them down to what I determined to be an appropriate size using USKG measurements as a reference. Then I would put on a lighter weight grip, ladies or junior size. I would stick pretty close to USKG lengths for irons (could always extend them at least once), and go at least a couple of inches longer with driver. This worked well for him.

#9 golfer55082

golfer55082

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2018 - 11:31 PM

View Postdarter79, on 12 April 2018 - 12:16 PM, said:

Total weight is probably more important but I thing SW has a factor as well. I wouldn't go crazy with an over heavy head, but as with all things some drivers have weights you can take out and try (our Ping does at least) to get the right fit.  Have to experiment to see what works for your child.  Most people always forget about the grip. Getting a lighter grip will make the swing weight go up, vs a heavier one makes it go down.

Interesting you bring up grip.  The regular grip is typically 50-52 grams. I use 46 gram undersize grip for my junior.  However, when I measure SW, I always put some lead tape on the grip to bring the weight up to 50 grams. According to Tom Wishon, you really need grip weight of 50-52 gram to have any accuracy in SW measurement.  Plus, changing grip weight will have a "false" impact on SW, but have little impact on MOI.  There has been a lot of discussion on Fitting Technical board in this forum.  Therefore, I will be very cautious in using grip weight to change SW.

#10 golfer55082

golfer55082

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2018 - 11:34 PM

View Postwlm, on 12 April 2018 - 04:37 PM, said:

What I did for my son when he was younger, was to buy the various clubs (irons and woods) off of eBay with a senior flex shaft. I would then cut them down to what I determined to be an appropriate size using USKG measurements as a reference. Then I would put on a lighter weight grip, ladies or junior size. I would stick pretty close to USKG lengths for irons (could always extend them at least once), and go at least a couple of inches longer with driver. This worked well for him.

I did similar when my son was younger.  Now he is a teenager and has outgrown the USKG fitting chart, I will have to refer to adult fitting chart.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors