Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Flightscope Mevo - Price the only detractor?


  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 ALaB13

ALaB13

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 309193
  • Joined: 04/17/2014
  • Location:Calgary, AB, Canada
  • Handicap:9
  • Ebay ID:anre2014
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 12 April 2018 - 12:38 AM

Have read most if not all of the reviews and opinions on the Mevo, especially compared to the ES14 and SC200. Seems the consensus is: if you have the cash, Mevo is the way to go, oterwise SC200 satisfies most people.

My question becomes, is the higher price the main detractor/turn off from the Mevo?

Hypothetically, if the Mevo came in $100 or $200 cheaper, would it be the clear winner?

King F7+ HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
P790 UDI 2i  HZRDUS Black 85 6.5
MP-18 Fli-Hi 3i PJX LZ 6.5
King Pro Forged CB 5-P C-Taper 130X
MD4 50, 54, 60 KBS 610 125
Ody EXO 7S w/ Lamkin Sink

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,900 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
  • Joined: 04/12/2012
  • Location:New Hampshire
GolfWRX Likes : 6149

Posted 12 April 2018 - 04:42 AM

Just my personal opinion - but the requirement to "need" the metallic stickers for accurate spin measurement outdoors (as opposed to just needing them indoors) is a bigger detractor then the price.  However, even with that and the price, it's still a clear winner over those others so any reduction in price would just be a bonus, it wouldn't change which is the 'winner'.  At least based on my needs - if a unit can't accurately measure spin - it's wasted money even at a lower price point.

2

#3 Frankensteins Monster

Frankensteins Monster

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,245 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 214901
  • Joined: 12/07/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 4636

Posted 12 April 2018 - 09:37 AM

Too expensive for a swing speed monitor. That's basically what it is because of the absolute need for metal dots.

3

#4 Showtime9

Showtime9

    MonsterHeel

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 496882
  • Joined: 03/22/2018
  • Location:Parts Unknown
  • Handicap:17
  • Ebay ID:Showtime2111
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 12 April 2018 - 10:00 AM

I have been going back and forth on purchasing a Mevo for months now. IMO $500 is a little excessive for something that will not measure spin accurately without the use of Metal Dots. I believe that the next generation of Mevo will address and correct this issue and then it would be worth the money. Until that happens (rumor is another 10 months according to a flightscope rep) ill be patient or if a used cheap one appears somewhere ill invest in that.

4

#5 jbsg02

jbsg02

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 428788
  • Joined: 06/12/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 95

Posted 12 April 2018 - 10:02 AM

I've been using it at the driving range without the dots with pretty good success.  Spin rates are a difficult thing to capture, even the differences between GC Quad and a Trackman on the same shot can vary quite a bit.  I think the mevo can get close enough to give a decent carry prediction.


5

#6 jbsg02

jbsg02

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 428788
  • Joined: 06/12/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 95

Posted 12 April 2018 - 10:04 AM

View PostShowtime9, on 12 April 2018 - 10:00 AM, said:

I have been going back and forth on purchasing a Mevo for months now. IMO $500 is a little excessive for something that will not measure spin accurately without the use of Metal Dots. I believe that the next generation of Mevo will address and correct this issue and then it would be worth the money. Until that happens (rumor is another 10 months according to a flightscope rep) ill be patient or if a used cheap one appears somewhere ill invest in that.

Someone from Flightscope actually confirmed a mevo 2?  Any word about spin axis?  If they add that then it's a no-brainer

6

#7 Craigstands17

Craigstands17

    This Isn't Where I Parked My Cart

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 464196
  • Joined: 04/19/2017
  • Location:New Jersey
GolfWRX Likes : 70

Posted 12 April 2018 - 12:55 PM

I use mine quite a decent amount and have used both with and without dots on the range. The dots in my opinion do not make hardly any difference and my spin is almost exactly the same as when I use trackman. Mevo for me is the clear winner and at a discounted price even more so.

Edited by Craigstands17, 12 April 2018 - 12:57 PM.

Talyormade M4 9.5* PX Handcrafted 6.5 Hzrdus T1100 75g
Taylormade M4 3HL  Aldila Rogue
Mizuno  MP-18 Fli Hi 3 & 4
Mizuno MP-18 SC 5-7
Mizuno MP-18 8-PW
Vokey SM7 50* F Grind
Vokey SM7 55* S Grind
Vokey SM6 Brushed Copper 60* M Grind
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Studio Stainless Mid Slant/ Bettinardi BB1/ TP Black Copper Ardmore 3

7

#8 Solidstrike

Solidstrike

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130735
  • Joined: 06/14/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 56

Posted 12 April 2018 - 01:43 PM

Would it be too much to add functionality to the app to allow you to see the flight?  It would give you an indoor driving range.

8

#9 jbsg02

jbsg02

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 428788
  • Joined: 06/12/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 95

Posted 12 April 2018 - 02:16 PM

View PostSolidstrike, on 12 April 2018 - 01:43 PM, said:

Would it be too much to add functionality to the app to allow you to see the flight?  It would give you an indoor driving range.

They would need to add spin axis measurement, not sure it's capable.

9

#10 jut111

jut111

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 205837
  • Joined: 10/04/2012
  • Location:North of Boston
GolfWRX Likes : 853

Posted 12 April 2018 - 07:14 PM

It doesn't measure spin axis or horizontal launch angle... kind of hard to model ball flight without those.

I'd save up for a skytrak.

Edited by jut111, 12 April 2018 - 07:15 PM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 Showtime9

Showtime9

    MonsterHeel

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 496882
  • Joined: 03/22/2018
  • Location:Parts Unknown
  • Handicap:17
  • Ebay ID:Showtime2111
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 12 April 2018 - 08:43 PM

View Postjut111, on 12 April 2018 - 07:14 PM, said:

It doesn't measure spin axis or horizontal launch angle... kind of hard to model ball flight without those.

I'd save up for a skytrak.

Agreed, but what if you just want to take it out to the range? I would assume that most individuals are unable to setup a Skytrak within their home/garage. In this case the Mevo would be the better option.

I fall into this category and that is why I am having a hard time deciding whether to get one or not

11

#12 jbsg02

jbsg02

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 428788
  • Joined: 06/12/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 95

Posted 12 April 2018 - 09:04 PM

View PostShowtime9, on 12 April 2018 - 08:43 PM, said:

View Postjut111, on 12 April 2018 - 07:14 PM, said:

It doesn't measure spin axis or horizontal launch angle... kind of hard to model ball flight without those.

I'd save up for a skytrak.

Agreed, but what if you just want to take it out to the range? I would assume that most individuals are unable to setup a Skytrak within their home/garage. In this case the Mevo would be the better option.

I fall into this category and that is why I am having a hard time deciding whether to get one or not

I've had about 4 range sessions with my mevo, I think the biggest detractor is the range balls themselves.  I'm not really trusting the carry yardages for anything other than short shots because of the variability and range balls and differences compared to what I'd normally play on the course.  It's easy to take with you, fun to use, and I think the data is actually pretty good, but this is ideally a unit for hitting what ball you would normally play on the course while hitting outdoors where you can see ball flight.  They need to add some sort of range ball compensation like Trackman does.

Edited by jbsg02, 12 April 2018 - 09:05 PM.


12

#13 mjforn

mjforn

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 487104
  • Joined: 11/19/2017
  • Location:Chicago Area
  • Handicap:17
GolfWRX Likes : 42

Posted 12 April 2018 - 09:12 PM

I have a SC200, used it all winter inside, recording all kinds of shot distances. I was out today, man what a difference from last year. The distances I recorded were +/-  a yard or two. Closest to pin on 2 holes today, the third was on the fringe, pin high.  I've had access to a trackman, yes it's nice to see the side spin. But IMO it's distance control that my Pro suggested I work on. I carry a index card with 3 different distances from 8 down to my 60*.

Index on the way Down....


:golfer:
Matt

Callaway GBB 9.5
Callaway 3w
Callaway Rx OS 4-AW
Cleveland CBX 52*, 56*, 60*

Odyssey Works SS #1 Putter

Ammo:
K 3s
Titliest NXT s
K Sigs (in the shag bag)

13

#14 jut111

jut111

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 205837
  • Joined: 10/04/2012
  • Location:North of Boston
GolfWRX Likes : 853

Posted 13 April 2018 - 06:28 AM

View PostShowtime9, on 12 April 2018 - 08:43 PM, said:

View Postjut111, on 12 April 2018 - 07:14 PM, said:

It doesn't measure spin axis or horizontal launch angle... kind of hard to model ball flight without those.

I'd save up for a skytrak.

Agreed, but what if you just want to take it out to the range? I would assume that most individuals are unable to setup a Skytrak within their home/garage. In this case the Mevo would be the better option.

I fall into this category and that is why I am having a hard time deciding whether to get one or not

If your range has mats, skytrak works just fine there.  I use it with an iPad mini. Hitting off grass you won't have much luck.

I'll be honest though, I don't see a ton of value using either on the range though. I've did it early on just to get an idea of accuracy (quite good). But I don't need a launch monitor when I can see ball flight.

Could have some value for club gapping but not if you're at most ranges with crappy balls.

14

#15 DLiver

DLiver

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55921
  • Joined: 05/16/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 657

Posted 13 April 2018 - 06:50 AM

View Postjbsg02, on 12 April 2018 - 09:04 PM, said:

I've had about 4 range sessions with my mevo, I think the biggest detractor is the range balls themselves.  I'm not really trusting the carry yardages for anything other than short shots because of the variability and range balls and differences compared to what I'd normally play on the course.  It's easy to take with you, fun to use, and I think the data is actually pretty good, but this is ideally a unit for hitting what ball you would normally play on the course while hitting outdoors where you can see ball flight.  They need to add some sort of range ball compensation like Trackman does.

This is so true. I used an SSR to measure ball speed at my range, and the difference between range balls and premium balls was significant, even though my range uses top quality range balls.


15

#16 jbsg02

jbsg02

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 428788
  • Joined: 06/12/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 95

Posted 13 April 2018 - 07:54 AM

View PostDLiver, on 13 April 2018 - 06:50 AM, said:

View Postjbsg02, on 12 April 2018 - 09:04 PM, said:

I've had about 4 range sessions with my mevo, I think the biggest detractor is the range balls themselves.  I'm not really trusting the carry yardages for anything other than short shots because of the variability and range balls and differences compared to what I'd normally play on the course.  It's easy to take with you, fun to use, and I think the data is actually pretty good, but this is ideally a unit for hitting what ball you would normally play on the course while hitting outdoors where you can see ball flight.  They need to add some sort of range ball compensation like Trackman does.

This is so true. I used an SSR to measure ball speed at my range, and the difference between range balls and premium balls was significant, even though my range uses top quality range balls.

How much difference did you notice in ball speed?  My ball speed is in the mid 160's with driver and I cannot seem to get these range balls above 157

16

#17 DLiver

DLiver

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55921
  • Joined: 05/16/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 657

Posted 13 April 2018 - 12:14 PM

^^^it was roughly 8-10% reduction with driver IIRC, depending on the condition of the balls.

17

#18 Golfingdawg19

Golfingdawg19

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 354301
  • Joined: 12/27/2014
GolfWRX Likes : 127

Posted 15 April 2018 - 07:04 PM

View Postjbsg02, on 12 April 2018 - 10:04 AM, said:

View PostShowtime9, on 12 April 2018 - 10:00 AM, said:

I have been going back and forth on purchasing a Mevo for months now. IMO $500 is a little excessive for something that will not measure spin accurately without the use of Metal Dots. I believe that the next generation of Mevo will address and correct this issue and then it would be worth the money. Until that happens (rumor is another 10 months according to a flightscope rep) ill be patient or if a used cheap one appears somewhere ill invest in that.

Someone from Flightscope actually confirmed a mevo 2?  Any word about spin axis?  If they add that then it's a no-brainer

I was told from someone connected to Flightscope that a new Mevo is over a year away. They may come out with some new updates to the current version though.

18

#19 games

games

    Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they are yours.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 248161
  • Joined: 04/30/2013
  • Location:Wisconsin
GolfWRX Likes : 634

Posted 17 April 2018 - 11:01 AM

First, if you do any type of swing video, MEVO is a no-brainer.  It edits the video for you, and overlays the data produced by the swing on the video.

Second, IMO, the dots add an extra bit of accuracy.  But, I use it without dots alongside an e6 sim using TrueTrac and get relatively close measurements.  Just use balls with good definition and remember to select the club you are hitting on the app.

IMO, the current MEVO (thank you updated firmware) is as good as it's going to get in terms of performance and measurement.  More recent video tests are showing MEVO data comparing favorably with more expensive LMs (for the data MEVO shows).  I think the last big tweak to this MEVO is going to be a "drills" app which will effectively be a random number generator telling you to hit a shot "X" yards, then showing you how you did and track your progress.

I HAVE to believe the next MEVO is going to incorporate spin axis, lateral spin, and some type of practice range simulation.  As someone else pointed out, as long as they steer clear of club data (e.g. AoA, face angle) measured by its more expensive "big brothers" it's going to give SkyTrak a run, if priced correctly.
They who are enamoured of practice
without knowledge are like the mariner
going to sea without a rudder or compass
and who navigates without a course.

19

#20 Hondabuff

Hondabuff

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15882
  • Joined: 07/03/2006
  • Location:PA
  • Handicap:No!
GolfWRX Likes : 519

Posted 20 April 2018 - 07:21 AM

I have owned 2 Mevos and 2 SC200's and the Mevo is a clear winner. SC200 is just a novelty toy and no better then my Bel Swingmate. Best example is to take a dry swing in front of the SC200 and it will spit out numbers even though you didn't hit a ball. Frustrating unit to use but I did like not having to use my phone to see numbers. Mevo I think needs to come down around $399 now that it has been out for over a year. I really liked my Mevo for dialing in my wedges and getting some base numbers. Once the season got going I never really used it and relied heavily on my laser. You will get into a habit of chasing the ideal numbers and forget to just play golf. Sold mine for a new set of AP2's.

Edited by Hondabuff, 20 April 2018 - 07:23 AM.

Titleist 915D2 9.5 Aldila Rogue Silver 60X
Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 60X
Titleist 816 H2 Aldila Rogue Silver 85X
Titleist 716 AP2 Project X 6.0
Titleist Vokey SM4 50/54/58 Project X 6.0
Scotty Cameron Futura 6M
Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist AVX
Bushnell Tour Z6

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors