Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

shaft length of tall tour pros

139 replies to this topic

#31 yellowballs

yellowballs

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 426134
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 12 April 2018 - 11:19 AM

View Postvrnyn, on 12 April 2018 - 10:05 AM, said:

I'm 6'6'', play +1'' & 2 degree upright in everything except for driver & hybrids which are stock. I have been fitted for everything from +1/4'' to +1.5''. I feel most comfortable in my current setup and play my best with it. My suggestion is do some research and hit everything you can get you hands on to determine what feels and scores best for you, easy to get hung up on what other players of similar build hit.
Good point.  Do you know your WTF measurement?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 yellowballs

yellowballs

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2018 - 11:21 AM

View Postago33, on 12 April 2018 - 08:43 AM, said:

I’m 6-3.5”. I have played irons as long as +2.0 and now I play +.25”. I have better ball striking with regular length. Overall distance, distance gaps, and dispersion patters are all significantly better. I’ve been working very hard on my mobility to get to this level to be able to achieve this. If there are questions on tips let me know.
Yes, would like to hear what you did to improve mobility.

#33 pcs11

pcs11

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 238603
GolfWRX Likes : 659

Posted 12 April 2018 - 11:30 AM

I'm 6' 2.5" with an average wingspan.  I've been messing with building the perfect over-length iron set for a couple years now.

My favorite "trick" I've learned is using 3/8th inch increments, which allows the short irons to be even longer.  

Graphite is turning out to be the best option when it comes to shafts.  They usually SW light and if you are using parallel tips you can customize how stiff you want them.

#34 TKS

TKS

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 188262
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 49

Posted 12 April 2018 - 11:37 AM

Fellow T-Rex here. 6'1" height and a WTF of 40"
I play a Wishon Sterling set of 37.5" and 46.5 driver - all for comfort at address. The putter is 37"
Start with WFT measurement and move +/- .5" until impact is center face then test for the lie and get them bent accordingly
All Wishon, all the time:
919THI 11* Black Driver, Red Shaft - S
919F/D, Black Shaft
775 18* hyb, Interflexx Shaft
590 4iron, Black hybd Shaft
5-SW Sterlings S300's
PCF Micro 58*
S2R #5 putter Double Bend Shaft
Softer Urethane balls - too many to list

#35 forefrazier

forefrazier

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 176038
GolfWRX Likes : 43

Posted 12 April 2018 - 01:19 PM

View Postyellowballs, on 11 April 2018 - 06:25 PM, said:

View Postforefrazier, on 11 April 2018 - 04:29 PM, said:

6'-5" here and have played +1" for most of my golfing life. Agree with CWebb that pros mobility allow them to be more bent over and stay in the spine angle longer (think DJ swing) whereas the recreational golfer cannot do that. To add one more known iron length to your list....I asked Thomas Pieters what length his irons were through FB and he actually responded that his PX shafts are just +1/2" over.

I went for a fitting a few years back and did not tell the rep what I was currently using. He recommended +1/2" and *2up so go figure?? I also recently took a trip and grabbed a set of standard TM rental clubs to play with since I did not plan on playing and did not have mine with me. Shot 76 on a course I had never seen and I am a 8hcp. Who knows???
I just don't get it?  Thomas Pieters is probably the tallest guy I listed and he's still only +1/2".  Do you know your WTF measurement?  We're the same height and I also have long arms yet I am still fit for +1.5".  Btw, pretty impressive shooting 76 with rentals.

My WTF Measurement is 39.5"

#36 Neurotica

Neurotica

Rush is a band!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3632
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 111

Posted 12 April 2018 - 02:21 PM

I’m 6’4’ but with a wingspan of 6’9”. My wrist to floor is 36” as a result and what seems to work best for me is +1/2 and 2 degrees upright. Puts me close to standard as a result. I did try 1” overlength irons but the swingweight was so high it was like trying to swing s sledgehammer. YMMV
M4 HZRDUS BLACK 65 S Gripmaster wrap black perforated
G400 3W Alta CB 65 S Gripmaster wrap blue cap
G400 19* Hybrid Alta CB 70 S Gripmaster wrap blue cap
G30 22* Hybrid TFC 419H S Gripmaster wrap black perforated
i500 5-U Nippon N.S. Pro Modus3 105 +1/2" green dot Gripmaster wrap blue cap
Glide 2.0 Stealth wedges 54*/58* Nippon N.S. Pro Modus3 105 S +1/2" blue dot Gripmaster wrap blue cap
Vault Anser 2 Slate PP58 blackout - 35"
ProV1X - cheapest used 5A I can find
Sun Mountain C130S - 2019 USA version
Clicgear 3.5
MG Elite XL golf gloves
Adidas Adicross Classic Golf Shoes - 2015

#37 rybo

rybo

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,086 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16062
  • Handicap:+1.6
GolfWRX Likes : 456

Posted 12 April 2018 - 05:20 PM

For those who have tried overlength clubs and/or want to try overlength clubs, crazy high swingweights have always been an issue.  There is a solution and it's using single length heads in the short irons and wedges.  Most SL heads are around 270g, about a 20-35g reduction in head weight.  This makes it possible to build significantly longer without swingweights going sky high.   Also using shafts like KBS C-Tapers or Steelfiber I110's with their naturally higher balance point will significantly reduce swingweights!

#38 yellowballs

yellowballs

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2018 - 06:20 PM

View Postrybo, on 12 April 2018 - 05:20 PM, said:

For those who have tried overlength clubs and/or want to try overlength clubs, crazy high swingweights have always been an issue.  There is a solution and it's using single length heads in the short irons and wedges.  Most SL heads are around 270g, about a 20-35g reduction in head weight.  This makes it possible to build significantly longer without swingweights going sky high.   Also using shafts like KBS C-Tapers or Steelfiber I110's with their naturally higher balance point will significantly reduce swingweights!
I've never heard it referred to as a single length head.  Which manufacturers offer head in a lighter weight version?  They all don't do they?

#39 yellowballs

yellowballs

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2018 - 06:31 PM

Also does shoulder width factor into the equation at all.  I am 6'5" tall and my wingspan is 6'10" so I've always thought I have long arms.  However, I have broad shoulders and that distance is included in wingspan so perhaps my arms aren't really that long???  There's got to be a universal way to measure only the arms?

Edited by yellowballs, 12 April 2018 - 06:32 PM.

#40 rybo

rybo

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,086 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2018 - 08:12 PM

View Postyellowballs, on 12 April 2018 - 06:20 PM, said:

I've never heard it referred to as a single length head.  Which manufacturers offer head in a lighter weight version?  They all don't do they?

Cobra is the main OEM offering single length heads; think Bryson DeChambeau. Edel and Wishon have a good following as do The Pinhawks by Value Golf. There are some others but those are the main players in single length.

Single length heads are simply heads all built to the same weight, usually around 270g.  

And no most OEM’s do not offer single length type of heads.  Mizuno has been using B heads for years but they are only 7g lighter then standard. Cally and even Titleist have lighter heads occasionally, however they are not readily available. Ping can also build slightly lower weight heads but they have their ‘recipe’ for what a club should weigh and they do not like to stray too far from it.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#41 rybo

rybo

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,086 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2018 - 08:20 PM

View Postyellowballs, on 12 April 2018 - 06:31 PM, said:

Also does shoulder width factor into the equation at all.  I am 6'5" tall and my wingspan is 6'10" so I've always thought I have long arms.  However, I have broad shoulders and that distance is included in wingspan so perhaps my arms aren't really that long???  There's got to be a universal way to measure only the arms?

Shoulder width and height are paramount to fitting properly. The wider the shoulder the shorter the arms get when the hands are brought together on the club.

Interestingly look at Bubba and DJ.  Both are quite thin with narrow shoulders, Bubba more so then DJ. So while they are tall, their shoulders are relatively close together.  This helps their arm length

Edited by rybo, 13 April 2018 - 03:09 AM.

#42 yellowballs

yellowballs

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2018 - 08:38 PM

View Postrybo, on 12 April 2018 - 08:12 PM, said:

View Postyellowballs, on 12 April 2018 - 06:20 PM, said:

Cobra is the main OEM offering single length heads; think Bryson DeChambeau. Edel and Wishon have a good following as do The Pinhawks by Value Golf. There are some others but those are the main players in single length.

Single length heads are simply heads all built to the same weight, usually around 270g.  

And no most OEM’s do not offer single length type of heads.  Mizuno has been using B heads for years but they are only 7g lighter then standard. Cally and even Titleist have lighter heads occasionally, however they are not readily available. Ping can also build slightly lower weight heads but they have their ‘recipe’ for what a club should weigh and they do not like to stray too far from it.
Oh, I misunderstood your previous post.  You're referring to irons that are all the same length.  I wish more OEM's offered B heads that are lighter and would work help keep the SW down in extended length clubs.

#43 yellowballs

yellowballs

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2018 - 08:54 PM

View Postrybo, on 12 April 2018 - 08:20 PM, said:

View Postyellowballs, on 12 April 2018 - 06:31 PM, said:

Shoulder width and height are paramount to fitting properly. The wider the shoulder the shorter the arms get when the hands are brought together on the club.

Interestingly look at Bubba and DJ.  Both are quite thin with narrow shoulders, Bubba more so then DJ. So why they are tall, their shoulders are relatively close together.  This helps their arm length
So same height but broader shoulders = longer clubs needed?

#44 rybo

rybo

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,086 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2018 - 08:57 PM

View Postyellowballs, on 12 April 2018 - 08:38 PM, said:

Oh, I misunderstood your previous post.  You're referring to irons that are all the same length.  I wish more OEM's offered B heads that are lighter and would work help keep the SW down in extended length clubs.

The point of using single length heads is only to allow the additional length needed for tall individuals. They DO NOT need to be built to the same length!

#45 yellowballs

yellowballs

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2018 - 07:06 AM

View Postrybo, on 12 April 2018 - 08:57 PM, said:

The point of using single length heads is only to allow the additional length needed for tall individuals. They DO NOT need to be built to the same length!
I'm about half way thru the 16 page thread you linked to earlier in this thread.  Interesting stuff.  I'm 6'5" with 39.5" WTF.  Arm length measured how a tailor would measure for a dress shirt is 37".  Do these numbers seem "normal" based on your anthropometric charts?  Regardless, the first thing I did was go grab my 52 wedge and look at my posture in a mirror.  My hands were very much inside my vertical chin line.  My clubs are supposedly +1.5" but they have traditional 1/2" gapping so my wedges are 36" or 36.5" (not positive).  I hit them fine (center of face), but I guess I've just adjusted.  But they do look small in the mirror.  I think I'll make a wedge at 37" or 37.5" and see how it feels (I guess it'll feel like my 8 iron?).  I just want to keep the SW in the D range.  Possible?

EDIT: Not exactly sure where to measure from for shoulder height to ground but got 65.5".

Edited by yellowballs, 14 April 2018 - 09:28 AM.

#46 roxald

roxald

Advanced

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3215
GolfWRX Likes : 68

Posted 14 April 2018 - 12:54 PM

View PostCletus, on 11 April 2018 - 06:39 PM, said:

I'm 6'5" and have experimented with standard through +1.5" over the last ten years. For the last 3 years I have settled on +.5" and have no plans to change. For me, anything over is an exercise in diminishing returns.  Combined length of my arms and shaft makes pure contact more challenging, coupled with the fact that I'm already hitting my irons further than most, makes me more inclined to err on the side of accuracy. The added benefit being I'm more confident looking at the ball at address and shaft pulls are more readily available for builds. I gamed a 3/8" gap set of Ping i5 irons for years and could easily go back. The short irons were maybe a bit more comfortable, but it messed with my distance gapping and it made the build a little more work in terms of swingweight, which I am particularly sensitive to.

Driver is usually 45" but I don't mind 44.75". I only carry one fairway and my preferred length is 42.5, that's the last club in my bag I would ever consider lengthening.

This is my story, exactly!
Irons plus 1/2”z
Including a 42.5” Fairway.
My irons are 2 up based on Callaway Specs.
Anything longer than + 1/2” and my irons become inconsistent. I’m more in the center of the face at + 1/2” than any other.
Rox
Ping G400 Max 9 with Project X T1100 6.5
F7 Blue/HAZRDUS Red 6.5
Nike Flex 3H/Diamana Stiff
Cobra F7 4 Hybrid/Stiff Fujikura
Cobra Forged Tec Black 5-AW $-Taper 125s
Callaway Forged Black 54 and 58 PM Grind/ Nippon 115X Wedge
Bettinardi Stock 8
TP5

#47 yellowballs

yellowballs

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2018 - 01:27 PM

View Postroxald, on 14 April 2018 - 12:54 PM, said:

View PostCletus, on 11 April 2018 - 06:39 PM, said:

I'm 6'5" and have experimented with standard through +1.5" over the last ten years. For the last 3 years I have settled on +.5" and have no plans to change. For me, anything over is an exercise in diminishing returns.  Combined length of my arms and shaft makes pure contact more challenging, coupled with the fact that I'm already hitting my irons further than most, makes me more inclined to err on the side of accuracy. The added benefit being I'm more confident looking at the ball at address and shaft pulls are more readily available for builds. I gamed a 3/8" gap set of Ping i5 irons for years and could easily go back. The short irons were maybe a bit more comfortable, but it messed with my distance gapping and it made the build a little more work in terms of swingweight, which I am particularly sensitive to.

Driver is usually 45" but I don't mind 44.75". I only carry one fairway and my preferred length is 42.5, that's the last club in my bag I would ever consider lengthening.

This is my story, exactly!
Irons plus 1/2”z
Including a 42.5” Fairway.
My irons are 2° up based on Callaway Specs.
Anything longer than + 1/2” and my irons become inconsistent. I’m more in the center of the face at + 1/2” than any other.
Rox
Interesting.  You're 6'5"?

#48 rybo

rybo

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,086 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 06:42 AM

View Postyellowballs, on 14 April 2018 - 07:06 AM, said:

I'm about half way thru the 16 page thread you linked to earlier in this thread.  Interesting stuff.  I'm 6'5" with 39.5" WTF.  Arm length measured how a tailor would measure for a dress shirt is 37".  Do these numbers seem "normal" based on your anthropometric charts?  Regardless, the first thing I did was go grab my 52 wedge and look at my posture in a mirror.  My hands were very much inside my vertical chin line.  My clubs are supposedly +1.5" but they have traditional 1/2" gapping so my wedges are 36" or 36.5" (not positive).  I hit them fine (center of face), but I guess I've just adjusted.  But they do look small in the mirror.  I think I'll make a wedge at 37" or 37.5" and see how it feels (I guess it'll feel like my 8 iron?).  I just want to keep the SW in the D range.  Possible?

EDIT: Not exactly sure where to measure from for shoulder height to ground but got 65.5".

39.5" WTF is a bit high for someone your height, but is by no means 'off the charts'; statistically very normal . Your shoulders are slightly higher then normal, and your arm length is spot on average.   I'm 6' 4" with a 38.5" WTF and also need 37" length arm sleeves on my dress shirts.

It's quite possible to build a wedge 37.5" long(or longer) and swing weight in the D range, use single length heads!  The main issue for anyone who has tried overlength clubs, and by this I mean +1 1/2" or more, is headweight and the subsequent swing weight it produces.  Not many people have tried over-length wedges and short irons with 270g head weights.  A typical sand wedge head weighs 300g - 304g.  30g - 34g less weight is such a substantial difference that it's nearly impossible to compare the two.

#49 Chip32

Chip32

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 463496
  • Handicap:20
GolfWRX Likes : 43

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:13 AM

6-7 and here is my setup IMG_1523805211.521629.jpg

#50 yellowballs

yellowballs

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 01:19 PM

View Postrybo, on 15 April 2018 - 06:42 AM, said:

View Postyellowballs, on 14 April 2018 - 07:06 AM, said:

Oh, I misunderstood your previous post. You're referring to irons that are all the same length. I wish more OEM's offered B heads that are lighter and would work help keep the SW down in extended length clubs.
I'm about half way thru the 16 page thread you linked to earlier in this thread. Interesting stuff. I'm 6'5" with 39.5" WTF. Arm length measured how a tailor would measure for a dress shirt is 37". Do these numbers seem "normal" based on your anthropometric charts? Regardless, the first thing I did was go grab my 52 wedge and look at my posture in a mirror. My hands were very much inside my vertical chin line. My clubs are supposedly +1.5" but they have traditional 1/2" gapping so my wedges are 36" or 36.5" (not positive). I hit them fine (center of face), but I guess I've just adjusted. But they do look small in the mirror. I think I'll make a wedge at 37" or 37.5" and see how it feels (I guess it'll feel like my 8 iron?). I just want to keep the SW in the D range. Possible? EDIT: Not exactly sure where to measure from for shoulder height to ground but got 65.5".
39.5" WTF is a bit high for someone your height, but is by no means 'off the charts'; statistically very normal . Your shoulders are slightly higher then normal, and your arm length is spot on average. I'm 6' 4" with a 38.5" WTF and also need 37" length arm sleeves on my dress shirts. It's quite possible to build a wedge 37.5" long(or longer) and swing weight in the D range, use single length heads! The main issue for anyone who has tried overlength clubs, and by this I mean +1 1/2" or more, is headweight and the subsequent swing weight it produces. Not many people have tried over-length wedges and short irons with 270g head weights. A typical sand wedge head weighs 300g - 304g. 30g - 34g less weight is such a substantial difference that it's nearly impossible to compare the two.
I'm struggling to fully understand the cause and effect of anthropometric measurements.  Your post led me to several more questions:
1) What would cause my WTF measurement to be a bit high for my height?
2) What would cause my shoulders to be slightly higher?  Having a longer torso and shorter legs?
3) Where do you buy single length heads?
4) Does having a significantly lighter head weight affect ball flight or distance in any way?

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#51 yellowballs

yellowballs

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 01:21 PM

View PostChip32, on 15 April 2018 - 10:13 AM, said:

6-7 and here is my setup Attachment IMG_1523805211.521629.jpg
Did you buld them?  What did you do to get SW so low at such long lengths?

#52 rybo

rybo

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,086 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 01:55 PM

View Postyellowballs, on 15 April 2018 - 01:19 PM, said:

I'm struggling to fully understand the cause and effect of anthropometric measurements.  Your post led me to several more questions:
2) What would cause my shoulders to be slightly higher?  Having a longer torso and shorter legs?
4) Does having a significantly lighter head weight affect ball flight or distance in any way?

1 & 2)  No two people are exactly alike.  Your shoulders are a bit higher, it's just you.  Anthropometric measurements are averages of many people.  Think of these measurements more as a range than an absolute.  Your shoulders and WTF are in 'range' for your height, just a tad on the high side of the normal range.  

3) Single length heads can be procured in various ways. Direct from Cobra,various golf stores, eBay, Value Golf, etc.  I have to say I have been incredibly satisfied with the Cobra Forged One Length clubs.  As good and maybe better then anything I've played and I was on staff with Cleveland for over 5 years and still have numerous sets of Tour only heads from that period.

4)  Speaking purely from my own experience I had no change in distance using single length heads at longer lengths.  As my body has adapted to the better posture from the increased length, ball flight has improved and for me that means lower ball flight.  The bigger issue is finding a shaft weight, flex and profile that works with your swing.  For instance I get poor results from DG X100's. Hit way too high, spin too much and ball flight looks like something you's see at an acrobatic airplane show.   I now understand that shafts with a stiff butt section provide better results FOR ME.

#53 vanillafunk616

vanillafunk616

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 378040
GolfWRX Likes : 290

Posted 15 April 2018 - 02:06 PM

Shafts aren't fit to height they're fit to wrist to floor measurements.  Google Ping's fitting chart and they will tell you what's considered standard for your measurements.

#54 rybo

rybo

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,086 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 02:20 PM

View Postvanillafunk616, on 15 April 2018 - 02:06 PM, said:

Shafts aren't fit to height they're fit to wrist to floor measurements.  Google Ping's fitting chart and they will tell you what's considered standard for your measurements.

Unfortunately this idea that WTF is the only measurement needed to fit club length has been the prevailing thought.  Unfortunately it only provides half the info needed to fit the exceptionally tall; shoulder height is the other half of the info required to get a proper fit.  The shoulder is the starting point for the 2nd lever (arm) with the golf club being 1st lever.    

Ping uses 33.75" WTF as the baseline for a standard fit in their 2018 fitting chart.  Using myself as the guinea pig, I have a 38.5" WTF.  That is a 4.75" difference.  Per Ping's chart I get a whopping extra 1" to make up for the additional 4.75" in WTF height.   Increasing lie angle does not change the actual length of the club, it does raise the handle height but at the expense of moving the ball position closer to the golfer.  So great here I am as the tall golfer with a club that is still way too short and the ball position has moved closer to me.  So I'll have to have an even steeper swing plane.  A length issue can not be corrected with a lie angle change.

#55 yellowballs

yellowballs

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 02:23 PM

View Postrybo, on 15 April 2018 - 01:55 PM, said:

View Postyellowballs, on 15 April 2018 - 01:19 PM, said:

1 & 2)  No two people are exactly alike.  Your shoulders are a bit higher, it's just you.  Anthropometric measurements are averages of many people.  Think of these measurements more as a range than an absolute.  Your shoulders and WTF are in 'range' for your height, just a tad on the high side of the normal range.  

3) Single length heads can be procured in various ways. Direct from Cobra,various golf stores, eBay, Value Golf, etc.  I have to say I have been incredibly satisfied with the Cobra Forged One Length clubs.  As good and maybe better then anything I've played and I was on staff with Cleveland for over 5 years and still have numerous sets of Tour only heads from that period.

4)  Speaking purely from my own experience I had no change in distance using single length heads at longer lengths.  As my body has adapted to the better posture from the increased length, ball flight has improved and for me that means lower ball flight.  The bigger issue is finding a shaft weight, flex and profile that works with your swing.  For instance I get poor results from DG X100's. Hit way too high, spin too much and ball flight looks like something you's see at an acrobatic airplane show.   I now understand that shafts with a stiff butt section provide better results FOR ME.
First, thank you for thoughtful response.  Still trying to fully comprehend the body measurement stuff.  I assume that having "higher shoulders" (for a given height) would naturally lend itself to someone have a "higher WTF" (for the same given height)?  Are higher shoulders caused by someone's clavicle bones being more parallel to the ground as opposed to being more sloped?  Hope my question(s) make sense.

#56 rybo

rybo

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,086 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 02:32 PM

View Postyellowballs, on 15 April 2018 - 02:23 PM, said:

First, thank you for thoughtful response.  Still trying to fully comprehend the body measurement stuff.  I assume that having "higher shoulders" (for a given height) would naturally lend itself to someone have a "higher WTF" (for the same given height)?  Are higher shoulders caused by someone's clavicle bones being more parallel to the ground as opposed to being more sloped?  Hope my question(s) make sense.

Higher shoulders could be for any number of reasons.  Small incremental changes in cumulative bone lengths to simply you have longer torso to the shape of your shoulders (more square vs rounded) to longer legs to etc etc etc.  The exact reason does not really matter as you already know your WTF is 39.5" and your 6' 5".  Those two pieces of info tell me you are well into the 1% for height on the planet and the OEM's do not really have a good way to fit you.  The OEM's are not really concerned with the few of who make up the exceptionally tall.

#57 yellowballs

yellowballs

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 03:01 PM

View Postrybo, on 15 April 2018 - 02:32 PM, said:

View Postyellowballs, on 15 April 2018 - 02:23 PM, said:

Higher shoulders could be for any number of reasons.  Small incremental changes in cumulative bone lengths to simply you have longer torso to the shape of your shoulders (more square vs rounded) to longer legs to etc etc etc.  The exact reason does not really matter as you already know your WTF is 39.5" and your 6' 5".  Those two pieces of info tell me you are well into the 1% for height on the planet and the OEM's do not really have a good way to fit you.  The OEM's are not really concerned with the few of who make up the exceptionally tall.
Gotcha.  I have a bad habit of over-analyzing.  I know it's subjective and depends on what feels ok TO ME, but in your opinion, do you think a minimum club length of 37" (in the wedges) is long enough for a WTF of 39.5?"

#58 Texsport

Texsport

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,339 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 196
GolfWRX Likes : 1272

Posted 15 April 2018 - 03:11 PM

I happen to own a few clubs previously used by Nick Faldo, Ernie Els, and Phil Mickelson.

They are all 1/2 to 3/4" over standard.

Many LPGA Tour players use over length clubs - especially drivers.

Texsport
Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour  64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

#59 rybo

rybo

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,086 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 03:32 PM

View Postyellowballs, on 15 April 2018 - 03:01 PM, said:

Gotcha.  I have a bad habit of over-analyzing.  I know it's subjective and depends on what feels ok TO ME, but in your opinion, do you think a minimum club length of 37" (in the wedges) is long enough for a WTF of 39.5?"

In my opinion a 39.5" WTF is more like a 38" - 38.5" minimum wedge length.  And you could easily go longer!

Think of it this way a 5' 9" person has an average WTF of 33.75" and a standard wedge is 35"!  That's 1.25" longer then their WTF!  38" is still way shorter then your WTF!

MY shortest wedge is 37.25" (lob) and I have 1/8" spacing from that club and at times they still feel a bit short.

#60 rybo

rybo

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,086 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 03:37 PM

View PostTexsport, on 15 April 2018 - 03:11 PM, said:

I happen to own a few clubs previously used by Nick Faldo, Ernie Els, and Phil Mickelson.

They are all 1/2 to 3/4" over standard.

Many LPGA Tour players use over length clubs - especially drivers.

Texsport

I was fortunate enough to walk 9 holes with Ernie many years ago during a charity event here in Naples and we had discussion about club lengths.  His arms are tremendously long for his height.  Easily 1"-2" longer then mine.

Was at The Masters on Friday and was fortunate to stand near Phil on a tee.  I was outside the ropes he was inside.  He is more like 6' 2" .  He was definitely shorter then me.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors