Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

Equipment Change That Made A Significant Difference

121 replies to this topic

#91 huddledtoast

huddledtoast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424790
GolfWRX Likes : 72

Posted 15 April 2018 - 12:50 PM

Replaced my mediocre nike blade putter with a mid-mallet (squareback type) Bettinardi.

Got fitted for my driver.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#92 LilRabbit

LilRabbit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 494700
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 15 April 2018 - 01:34 PM

Three biggest changes in the last year for me.

Shortening my driver shaft to 44 3/4"/45" depending on the day.

Going from the Spider Black to the Ardmore 2.

Gaming Nippon Modus 120's over C-Tapers.
M3 460 10.5 Project X Evenflow Blue 65
2016 M2 3HL Matrix White Tie
2017 M2 3 Rescue Fuji Speeder 869 Tour Spec/M2 LIFT 2 Iron Hzrdus Black
M3 4-6 Nippon Modus Tour 120
P790 7-PW Nippon Modus Tour 120
Milled Grind Chrome 48° KBS HiRev 2.0
Milled Grind Black 54° KBS HiRev 2.0
Milled Grind HiToe 60° KBS HiRev 2.0
TP Collection Red Ardmore 2
TP5X #34

#93 Petunia Sprinkle

Petunia Sprinkle

Future King of France

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,890 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 397380
GolfWRX Likes : 4012

Posted 15 April 2018 - 02:22 PM

View PostJOHN GOLIA, on 14 April 2018 - 02:09 PM, said:

From beer to vodka :derisive:

Once you get that drink right, everything else starts to fall into place.

#94 pinestreetgolf

pinestreetgolf

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,542 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 435010
  • Handicap:1.2
  • Ebay ID:butlerj_dickinson
GolfWRX Likes : 1438

Posted 15 April 2018 - 02:46 PM

View PostZ4Par, on 15 April 2018 - 12:47 PM, said:

View Postpinestreetgolf, on 15 April 2018 - 11:51 AM, said:

View Postthird-times-a-charm, on 14 April 2018 - 10:46 PM, said:

2) embracing the 3 wood, and not fearing it because everyone says they hate them
3) same thing for the hybrid...embrace the hybrid, dont hate it.

Good, good.... let the hate flow through you.   Discover the power of the dark side 3 wood.

Pine,

From what I've seen of your posts I know you like distance (as do I for a lot of good reasons).  But I've had 3 wood in the bag almost every year for the 13 years I've been playing golf and this year decided to try out a Rogue 4 wood.  I liked the smaller size of the 4 wood head vs. the 3 wood (front to back).  Not only this, but most importantly the 4 wood has done something the 3 wood hasn't.  The 4 wood has given me the confidence and consistency to strike the golf ball better from the deck than any fairway wood I've owned.  I can tell you from a distance stand point that the 4 wood on average has been just as long if not longer than 3 woods I have bagged in the past.  I know you like 3 woods and I am assuming it is because you in fact do hit a 3 wood with consistently off the deck, but isn't there players out there that can benefit more from bagging a 4 wood vs. 3 wood; like my case that I've found, consistancy of strikes from the deck and similar distance to a 3 wood?  I was understanding Matt Kuchar had only a 4 wood in the bag for quite some time.  I think the latest WITB shows he now has a Titleist 917 3 Wood set at +1 (16 degrees) so not quite a 4 wood anymore.  

The longest 3 wood I can remember hitting was 240 yards.  I'd say on average to better strikes I would normally hit 3 wood 220-235 in pretty neutral conditions.  When I played Thursday I hit the new 4 wood 235 off the tee and on the next hole 230 off the deck.  I guess my point is; I am comfortable with the look and performance of this 4 wood and it goes just as far as I normally would have hit a 3 wood previously if not further.  Curious if you think everyone should be gaming a 3 wood?

I think Golf is an incredibly hard game because it is so easy to lie to yourself.  In most sports there are a ton of “reality checks” (like a coach) that prevent people from telling themselves nonsense about how the game works. In individual sports, like chess or tennis, there is at least an opponent. In Golf it’s just you. Worse still, the games skills all bleed into one another. If you go 0 for 8 from 3 point range you can draw certain conclusions. If someone doesn’t make putts, is it the stroke? Not hitting it close enough? Who knows. Short game same thing. Most great short game players are great course managers. They don’t just hit seven circus shots a round. Most golfers don’t have magic Clubs. They are just as inaccurate as the loft and length and just as long as the loft and speed. The four wood is a little shorter and a little more accurate than the three wood (for most). Yet golfers will tell themselves nonsense praying it will make a difference. It likely will not.

Golfers are also awful at risk versus reward calculations. They are way too cautious. Studies have shown par putts are made at a higher rate than birdie putts due to this phenomenon (were more scared of bogies than pumped for birdies, even though both are one stroke).  The disasters with 3 wood are obvious - shanks, OB, etc. the plus side (a little closer on most holes for a season) is in fractions of a stroke. Our brains remember really bad and really good things much more than mundane things. They also talk in extremes and Golf is played in grey, so a few bad 3 woods become “I can’t hit a 3 wood”.

If you have done the work and you actually are better with 4 wood, play one. 100%. But most of the time it’s not based in fact. It’s somebody upset that they’ve had a bad run and who is desperate to convince themselves it’s the club to blame, and they make it worse by taking out a longer club for no reason that has a basis in reality.  As I’ve said in other threads, IMO, the best way to make the call is:

1. Actually study your game and build a bag for
It using actual records of your rounds, not your memory

2. Assume you are average and build a bag that makes sense for most golfers (ie no magic Clubs)

3. Build a bag based on a combination of fear of looking dumb plus trying to remember your rounds with no assistance.

I just don’t like number 3.
aeroburner tp 9.5*, pxv 6.5
xr 15*, pxv 6.5
og burner triangle rescue tour 18*, s300
j40 dpc 4-9, s300
vokey sm6 46/08F 50/08F 54/08M 58/04L, s200
fitted edel

#95 Dan Drake

Dan Drake

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82506
  • Handicap:3.9
GolfWRX Likes : 1192

Posted 15 April 2018 - 04:23 PM

1. I found my 2nd driver & Longest Club off the Turf.  It's a TEE e8 beta 12° and I can hit it pretty darn straight AND off the deck.  This club is currently my best strokes gained approach club, and it's not even close.  Of the last 7 months, I have been + in strokes gained off the turf with this club.  And yes, that is compared to the fellas on TV.
1. The correct grind on my primary pitching club.  A channel grind on a more "traditional" shaped wedge.  My miss hits around the green look to be much more playable
2. A complete change in putting style and so, a 38" putter.  Alleviate back pain, see the line better, AND better speed control?  Yes sir!
3. I may have actually found my driver.  If so, look out.  Of the 3.x points off of scratch that I currently am, 3+ of them, per round, can be directly attributed to my driver.  If I actually have found the right weapon, I might just be dangerous.

RBZ w/AD BB
E8 ß 12° w/Rogue
3DX Genex 18.5° w/VS Proto
AP2 4-G w/DG
Spin Milled CC 54° w/DG
Toe Sweep 58° w/DG
Workshop III

#96 Z4Par

Z4Par

Advanced

• 371 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 445568
GolfWRX Likes : 144

Posted 15 April 2018 - 04:59 PM

View Postpinestreetgolf, on 15 April 2018 - 02:46 PM, said:

View PostZ4Par, on 15 April 2018 - 12:47 PM, said:

View Postpinestreetgolf, on 15 April 2018 - 11:51 AM, said:

View Postthird-times-a-charm, on 14 April 2018 - 10:46 PM, said:

2) embracing the 3 wood, and not fearing it because everyone says they hate them
3) same thing for the hybrid...embrace the hybrid, dont hate it.

Good, good.... let the hate flow through you.   Discover the power of the dark side 3 wood.

Pine,

From what I've seen of your posts I know you like distance (as do I for a lot of good reasons).  But I've had 3 wood in the bag almost every year for the 13 years I've been playing golf and this year decided to try out a Rogue 4 wood.  I liked the smaller size of the 4 wood head vs. the 3 wood (front to back).  Not only this, but most importantly the 4 wood has done something the 3 wood hasn't.  The 4 wood has given me the confidence and consistency to strike the golf ball better from the deck than any fairway wood I've owned.  I can tell you from a distance stand point that the 4 wood on average has been just as long if not longer than 3 woods I have bagged in the past.  I know you like 3 woods and I am assuming it is because you in fact do hit a 3 wood with consistently off the deck, but isn't there players out there that can benefit more from bagging a 4 wood vs. 3 wood; like my case that I've found, consistancy of strikes from the deck and similar distance to a 3 wood?  I was understanding Matt Kuchar had only a 4 wood in the bag for quite some time.  I think the latest WITB shows he now has a Titleist 917 3 Wood set at +1 (16 degrees) so not quite a 4 wood anymore.  

The longest 3 wood I can remember hitting was 240 yards.  I'd say on average to better strikes I would normally hit 3 wood 220-235 in pretty neutral conditions.  When I played Thursday I hit the new 4 wood 235 off the tee and on the next hole 230 off the deck.  I guess my point is; I am comfortable with the look and performance of this 4 wood and it goes just as far as I normally would have hit a 3 wood previously if not further.  Curious if you think everyone should be gaming a 3 wood?

I think Golf is an incredibly hard game because it is so easy to lie to yourself.  In most sports there are a ton of “reality checks” (like a coach) that prevent people from telling themselves nonsense about how the game works. In individual sports, like chess or tennis, there is at least an opponent. In Golf it’s just you. Worse still, the games skills all bleed into one another. If you go 0 for 8 from 3 point range you can draw certain conclusions. If someone doesn’t make putts, is it the stroke? Not hitting it close enough? Who knows. Short game same thing. Most great short game players are great course managers. They don’t just hit seven circus shots a round. Most golfers don’t have magic Clubs. They are just as inaccurate as the loft and length and just as long as the loft and speed. The four wood is a little shorter and a little more accurate than the three wood (for most). Yet golfers will tell themselves nonsense praying it will make a difference. It likely will not.

Golfers are also awful at risk versus reward calculations. They are way too cautious. Studies have shown par putts are made at a higher rate than birdie putts due to this phenomenon (were more scared of bogies than pumped for birdies, even though both are one stroke).  The disasters with 3 wood are obvious - shanks, OB, etc. the plus side (a little closer on most holes for a season) is in fractions of a stroke. Our brains remember really bad and really good things much more than mundane things. They also talk in extremes and Golf is played in grey, so a few bad 3 woods become “I can’t hit a 3 wood”.

If you have done the work and you actually are better with 4 wood, play one. 100%. But most of the time it’s not based in fact. It’s somebody upset that they’ve had a bad run and who is desperate to convince themselves it’s the club to blame, and they make it worse by taking out a longer club for no reason that has a basis in reality.  As I’ve said in other threads, IMO, the best way to make the call is:

1. Actually study your game and build a bag for
It using actual records of your rounds, not your memory

2. Assume you are average and build a bag that makes sense for most golfers (ie no magic Clubs)

3. Build a bag based on a combination of fear of looking dumb plus trying to remember your rounds with no assistance.

I just don’t like number 3.

I guess I’ve always launched a 3 wood low too.  The 4W launches higher which I like.  Kind of the same reason I go with a 3 hybrid rather than a 3 iron, high and soft as well as added distance.  I guess if I saw logic in adding a 3 wood to the bag and ways it would benefit my game then I’d do so.  But a 3 wood doesn’t go any farther for me than the Rogue 4W.  Or maybe I haven’t ran into enough combinations of 3 woods yet.  In any event I was curious if you thought every average to better player should be carrying 3 wood.
Callaway Rogue Draw Driver (10 Degrees) 9 Degree setup at +1, Neutral Setting - Aldila Synergy 50 (60 Grams) Stiff - Standard
Callaway Rogue 4 Wood (17 Degrees) - Aldila Synergy 60 (68 Grams) Stiff - Standard
Callaway Rogue 3 Hybrid (19 Degrees) and 4 Hybrid (21 Degrees) - Aldila Synergy 60 (75 Grams) Stiff - Standard
Titleist 718 AP3 5 Iron (25 Degrees) through PW (43 Degrees) and Wedge (48 Degrees) - AMT Black S300 - Standard
Titleist SM6 - 52 Degree F Grind 8 Degree Bounce - Project X 6.0 - Standard
Titleist SM6 - 56 Degree F Grind 14 Degree Bounce Standard - Project X 6.0 - Standard
2018 TaylorMade Spider Tour Red Sightline
Titleist AVX

#97 pinestreetgolf

pinestreetgolf

Major Winner

• 2,542 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 07:53 PM

View PostZ4Par, on 15 April 2018 - 04:59 PM, said:

I guess if I saw logic in adding a 3 wood to the bag and ways it would benefit my game then I’d do so.

It is incredibly difficult to logically build your own bag.  You are too passionate about it and your memory is awful for the task (it remembers in extremes, golf is grey).  Your post here is kinda my point.  Its incredibly unlikely that you can analyze yourself well.  Most golfers tell themselves nonsense narratives that are way too extreme to be true.

Take 90 days and every time you hit 4 wood, also hit a 3 wood and vice versa (within reason, obviously).  Play whichever one averages the lowest score*.  This is much more likely to lead to an optimal bag than you speculating on whether or not a high launch is good and then trying to spitball which is going farther over the course of forty rounds you barely remember.

"I think I hit 4 wood longer, it launches higher and looks better, its probably best for me." <- just flip a coin to decide which to play.  It has as good a chance as being right.

*Ideally you'd use strokes gained to factor out all the other strokes on the hole, but I realize not everyone is as into that approach as I am.

Edited by pinestreetgolf, 15 April 2018 - 07:57 PM.

xr 15*, pxv 6.5
j40 dpc 4-9, s300
fitted edel

#98 AmpliFIRE

AmpliFIRE

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 199498
  • Handicap:9.6
  • Ebay ID:honeydog11
GolfWRX Likes : 173

Posted 15 April 2018 - 07:56 PM

Switching from a mallet to a blade putter with moderate toe hang. I gamed mallets for years, before realizing I have a fairly strong arc stroke. The difference was night and day.
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9.0 'Ahina 60 Stiff
Callaway RFX 5w Trinity Stiff
Callaway Apex 3 hybrid Kuro Kage Stiff
Srixon u65 23* PX 6.0
Srixon z765 5-AW DG 115 S
Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 54* S200
Callaway Mack Daddy 2 U Grind 58* DG wedge
Odyssey O-Works Red 1 Wide S

#99 Z4Par

Z4Par

Advanced

• 371 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 08:56 PM

View Postpinestreetgolf, on 15 April 2018 - 07:53 PM, said:

I guess if I saw logic in adding a 3 wood to the bag and ways it would benefit my game then I’d do so.

It is incredibly difficult to logically build your own bag.  You are too passionate about it and your memory is awful for the task (it remembers in extremes, golf is grey).  Your post here is kinda my point.  Its incredibly unlikely that you can analyze yourself well.  Most golfers tell themselves nonsense narratives that are way too extreme to be true.

Take 90 days and every time you hit 4 wood, also hit a 3 wood and vice versa (within reason, obviously).  Play whichever one averages the lowest score*.  This is much more likely to lead to an optimal bag than you speculating on whether or not a high launch is good and then trying to spitball which is going farther over the course of forty rounds you barely remember.

"I think I hit 4 wood longer, it launches higher and looks better, its probably best for me." <- just flip a coin to decide which to play.  It has as good a chance as being right.

*Ideally you'd use strokes gained to factor out all the other strokes on the hole, but I realize not everyone is as into that approach as I am.

4 wood launches higher than any 3 wood I’ve bagged and goes near the identical distance on average if at times farther.  This isn’t speculating.  This is what has happened.  Just keep it simple.

Just because you may hit 3W farther than 4W that doesn’t mean everybody can..
Callaway Rogue Draw Driver (10 Degrees) 9 Degree setup at +1, Neutral Setting - Aldila Synergy 50 (60 Grams) Stiff - Standard
Callaway Rogue 4 Wood (17 Degrees) - Aldila Synergy 60 (68 Grams) Stiff - Standard
Callaway Rogue 3 Hybrid (19 Degrees) and 4 Hybrid (21 Degrees) - Aldila Synergy 60 (75 Grams) Stiff - Standard
Titleist 718 AP3 5 Iron (25 Degrees) through PW (43 Degrees) and Wedge (48 Degrees) - AMT Black S300 - Standard
Titleist SM6 - 56 Degree F Grind 14 Degree Bounce Standard - Project X 6.0 - Standard
Titleist AVX

#100 Z4Par

Z4Par

Advanced

• 371 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 09:06 PM

View PostZ4Par, on 15 April 2018 - 08:56 PM, said:

4 wood launches higher than any 3 wood I’ve bagged and goes near the identical distance on average if at times farther.  This isn’t speculating.  This is what has happened.  Just keep it simple.

And to be fair, it’s probably also a change of less stiff of stiff shafts all across my bag with the combo of the 4 wood head that has lead to the higher launch that it has over my past gamed 3 woods.  In any event it’s better and what I have aimed at with this switch in my bag.

Titleist AVX

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#101 pinestreetgolf

pinestreetgolf

Major Winner

• 2,542 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 09:23 PM

View PostZ4Par, on 15 April 2018 - 09:06 PM, said:

And to be fair, it’s probably also a change of less stiff of stiff shafts all across my bag with the combo of the 4 wood head that has lead to the higher launch that it has over my past gamed 3 woods.  In any event it’s better and what I have aimed at with this switch in my bag.

Of course it launches higher.  It has more loft.  What we don't know is if higher launch = lower scores.  But it doesn't really matter.  I explained what I think and you're certainly free to disagree and build your bag how you choose!

This is a cool topic, love to hear more stories about equipment that has been transformational.
xr 15*, pxv 6.5
j40 dpc 4-9, s300
fitted edel

#102 nambreezy

nambreezy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 484264
  • Handicap:8
  • Ebay ID:aneeshnambur-0
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 15 April 2018 - 09:37 PM

definitely switching to a 4 wood and getting a superstroke on my putter
Taylormade Aero Burner Driver 10.5*
Cobra F7 3 Wood 16*
Mizuno JPX 900 Hybrid 20*
Ping i25 4-P
Ping Glide 52*/58*
Odyssey White Hot 34"
Bridgestone B330

All stock shafts

If anyone has a driver in a stiff shaft that they are looking to sell, hit my line

#103 snwfrk10

snwfrk10

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 497682
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:20 AM

Finally got fitted for a driver last year and that has made a huge difference in finding the fairway. Also changed to midsize grips and that has seemed to help some.

#104 Lancj1

Lancj1

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 378618
  • Handicap:18
  • Ebay ID:Lancj1
GolfWRX Likes : 275

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:59 AM

SAM Fitting for putter - ended up in Spider Platinum - noticeable difference
Ping G400 hybrids and woods - fitted - and so much more consistent than previous clubs

Not started regular playing yet though Ive no doubt the above will help me score better

Irons and Driver excellent but no big improvement gains over XR irons and XR16 driver
Ping G400 SFT Driver
Ping G400 3 Wood
Ping G400 SFT 5 Wood
Ping G400 4 & 5 Hybrids
Ping G400 Irons, Green Dot, 6 - SW
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 58* WS
Spider Tour Platinum Putter

Disclaimer*

I'm a handicap golfer in my 50's. Any opinions I have about golf equipment or professional golfers or the game in general should be taken as seriously as you would the opinions of a random guy in the fourball ahead of you who just shot 92 but is usually better than that.

#105 BearQ

BearQ

Golf, I will see you again. But not yet, not yet.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,339 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 238387
GolfWRX Likes : 1444

Posted 16 April 2018 - 05:18 AM

Becoming a shaft ho helped me improve my flight and accuracy

Z945 irons are special

Cobra LTD Pro  --  Tour AD TP 7TX
Rogue SZ 3+  --  Diamana B 80X   OR   XR 3Deep  --  Tour AD TP 8X  
P790 UDI (2)  --  Black Tie HM4 105X   OR   X Forged UT (2)  --  Tour Green 105TX
Srixon Z945 (4-P)  |  Nippon SPB X
Nike VR Forged   (51 / 56 / 60)  --  KBS 610 S+
TM Spider Tour Black

swaps: Titleist 915FD 5W 18*  --  Tour AD TP 8X
            Bridgestone J15 DF (3) | Mizuno H4 (3)  | Titleist 712U (4)  -- Nippon SPB X

#106 n_rones

n_rones

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 449536
  • Handicap:6.1
GolfWRX Likes : 67

Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:26 AM

Something from the past but 4-5 years ago my ball striking was the worst part of my game and i switched from a set of R7 TP irons to AP1 714s. I'm not sure if it was the extra confidence i had in those clubs or the actual help they provided but i shaved 4 strokes off my Handicap that summer.
Callaway GBB Epic 9.5° Hzrdus yellow 6.0 63
Callaway GBB Epic 15° Hzrdus Yellow 6.0 75
Callaway GBB Epic Hybrid 19° Recoil 780 F4
Callaway Apex CF16 4 iron Recoil 780 F4
Callaway Apex CF16 5-PW TT XP 95 S300
Cleveland CBX 50°
Cleveland RTX 3 CB 56°
Cleveland RTX 3 60°
Scotty Cameron California Monterey 1.5

#107 Z4Par

Z4Par

Advanced

• 371 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:09 AM

View Postpinestreetgolf, on 15 April 2018 - 09:23 PM, said:

View PostZ4Par, on 15 April 2018 - 09:06 PM, said:

Of course it launches higher.  It has more loft.  What we don't know is if higher launch = lower scores.  But it doesn't really matter.  I explained what I think and you're certainly free to disagree and build your bag how you choose!

This is a cool topic, love to hear more stories about equipment that has been transformational.

With all due respect you are most definitely “enjoying” the wrong thread with your analytical approach in selecting equipment.

There is a good chance over 70% of these posts are bought solely on short term practice results.  Not by rounds upon rounds of golf.

I just don’t see how one can make claims on another’s equipment when YOU haven’t seen me swing the club with success.  I’ll agree, different results are in each of the eyes beholder.  Golfers goals through out their bag are different then the next bag.  I’ll leave it at that.
Titleist AVX

#108 bevans0222

bevans0222

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 435966
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:15 AM

I was fit for a 3 wood last summer at Club Champion, that has significantly improved my performance with that club.  I used to leave the 3 wood out of my bag most of the time, because I had such a tendency to hook it out of play.  Now I am able to actually attack some of our par 5's with confidence that I'll at least be somewhere around the green, and still in play.
Callaway Epic Driver 9*(set to 11*) Kuro Kage TiNi 60 Xstiff
Callaway Epic 3w 15* VA Composites Raijin 74 four
Callaway Epic 3h 20* VA Composites Raijin 84 four
Taylormade p790 4i GD Tour AD DI 95s
Titleist 716 T-MB 4i DG AMT S400
Titleist 716 CB 5-PW DG AMT S400
Titleist Vokey SM6 52* DG Wedge
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 58* DG TI S200
Cameron Fastback

#109 pinestreetgolf

pinestreetgolf

Major Winner

• 2,542 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:44 AM

View PostZ4Par, on 16 April 2018 - 07:09 AM, said:

With all due respect you are most definitely “enjoying” the wrong thread with your analytical approach in selecting equipment.

There is a good chance over 70% of these posts are bought solely on short term practice results.  Not by rounds upon rounds of golf.

I just don’t see how one can make claims on another’s equipment when YOU haven’t seen me swing the club with success.  I’ll agree, different results are in each of the eyes beholder.  Golfers goals through out their bag are different then the next bag.  I’ll leave it at that.

1. You literally asked me by name for my opinion, in this thread.

2. 70%+ of people are making mistakes in how they choose their equipment.

3. I have no idea if your equipment is good or bad, but I think your method is lousy.

I'm surprised at the sheer number of replies that mention the putter and the few that mention the ball.  Interesting.
xr 15*, pxv 6.5
j40 dpc 4-9, s300
fitted edel

#110 Z4Par

Z4Par

Advanced

• 371 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:59 AM

View Postpinestreetgolf, on 16 April 2018 - 07:44 AM, said:

View PostZ4Par, on 16 April 2018 - 07:09 AM, said:

1. You literally asked me by name for my opinion, in this thread.

2. 70%+ of people are making mistakes in how they choose their equipment.

3. I have no idea if your equipment is good or bad, but I think your method is lousy.

I'm surprised at the sheer number of replies that mention the putter and the few that mention the ball.  Interesting.

**hands in the air**

I give up.  We both think each other’s ways are lousy.  Thanks for the opinion.  Even though I respectfully disagree.

Titleist AVX

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#111 Sean2

Sean2

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• 29,043 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 16078

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:08 AM

I think once you find the equipment that works well for you it might be a good idea to stick with it. I used to do a lot of buying and selling, but I didn't notice any real improvement in my game. Last year was the first time I didn't purchase anything, and my HI dropped 5 points. Yes, my swing was probably better, but I think playing the same equipment day in and day out helped too.
Callaway GBB Epic
Callaway GBB Epic 3/7
Callaway Steelhead XR 5
Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW
Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54/58/62
Callaway Odyssey Works Tank 1W

#112 bladehunter

bladehunter

I have a great profile! Especially from the side !

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,935 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291449
  • Handicap:NONE
GolfWRX Likes : 14421

Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:37 AM

Realizing that at 6ft4 in spikes I canít olay off the rack irons or wedges. Adding an inch ( 38 3/4 5 iron ) and playing pw-lob same length shaved 2 strokes off my average overnight.  And added gobs of length.  

I used to dive down at the ball with a lob wedge and a full shot.  Now an off the rack wedge looks like a juniors club to me.
17 M1 8.7  Tour Issue Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX
17 M1 14.5  Tour issue Graphite Design   AD DI 8X
Titleist 816H2 21 Graphite Design AD DI 105X
Miura 1957 Small Blades 4-9 Modus 130X
Vokey  sm7 46f sm6  50f  54M  300 series 59  Modus 125X
009 GSS 1.5  , Beached, tungsten sole weights, vertical stamp face

#113 The Mad Bomber

The Mad Bomber

Fully rehabilitated former Titleist Fanboy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 80811
GolfWRX Likes : 665

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:10 AM

View PostLilRabbit, on 15 April 2018 - 01:34 PM, said:

Three biggest changes in the last year for me.

Shortening my driver shaft to 44 3/4"/45" depending on the day.

Going from the Spider Black to the Ardmore 2.

Gaming Nippon Modus 120's over C-Tapers.

What did the Nippons give you that the C-Tapers didn't? I hear so much good about the Nippons
915 D3 7.5º w/ Grafalloy blue
'17 M2 15º w/ Grafalloy blue
T-MB 2 iron C-Taper
Mizzy MP-5 4-9 C-Taper
SM6 47º, 52º, 56º, 60º C-Taper
Scotty Newport 2.6

WITB link

#114 jdang307

jdang307

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 470498
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:25 AM

Give up trying to hit a 3 hybrid an 3HL off the deck, essentially replaced with a Epic Heavenwood tuned down to 19.

#115 gators78

gators78

Major Winner

• 3,694 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121638
  • Handicap:2.3
GolfWRX Likes : 802

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:54 AM

Without a doubt, paying for the upgrade to matching shafts in my wedges and not using the "wedge flex" stock shafts. Made a world of difference being able to hit controlled wedge shots.

M2
M2 3W, Hybrid
1957 Blades (I blame you, WRX)
RTX3s
Odyssey

#116 TexasCarlos

TexasCarlos

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 299742
  • Handicap:7.0
  • Ebay ID:thegunta2013
GolfWRX Likes : 201

Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:56 PM

Switched from a life long project x 6.0 used to KBS Tour. More height and distance, real eye opener. Not knocking PX, just be careful with the flex 6.0 is a lot of shaft for a majority of golfers, especially since its very common and a stock shaft in a lot of forged iron sets .
Titleist 915 D3 7.5* Blue Board X
Titleist 915 Fd 13.5* Blue Board X
Mizuno MP-54 3-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Vokey SM6 52 56 60 KBS Tour V 125 S
Scotty Cameron Newport 2014

#117 Rosco1216

Rosco1216

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,086 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 117052
  • Ebay ID:Rosco1216
GolfWRX Likes : 579

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:07 PM

Longer shafts in short irons and wedges. Wide blade putter with 4:00 toe hang.
G400LST 8*- KK DC Tini 70TX Tour Proto
Cobra LTD 4-5 16.5* - Xphlexxx Agera X
Cobra Utility Iron 18.5* - Matrix Black Tie HM3 105xx.
Adams MB2 raw 4-P - Nippon SPB x hard-stepped -or-
J15CB 4-P - Modus 120 TX(w/sensicore)
SM5 50*, TM EF Tour Grind 55* & 60*, X100
O-works Black 3T, Huntington Beach #8

https://www.instagram.com/ross.novak

#118 kulreign50

kulreign50

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 320451
GolfWRX Likes : 51

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:45 PM

Fitted driver ...shorter than standard length.
Mallet putter
Keeping it in the fairway almost every time sets me up for a good chance at hitting the greens on my approach, and the mallet putter helps me take the dreaded 3 putt of the table.

#119 thug the bunny

thug the bunny

We are spirits in a material world

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,447 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 251822
  • Handicap:8.2
GolfWRX Likes : 12345

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:55 PM

View Postbrianmontgomery2000, on 13 April 2018 - 09:59 PM, said:

Really only one -- left the game in about 1997 and came back 2008 still with my original Big Bertha.  Replaced that with a 460 cc driver.  THAT is a huge difference.

Irons-wise, the King Cobra Oversizes could still be in my bag and I'd not notice that much (if any) difference from the Ping i20's that replaced them.  Ditto the Big Bertha 3-wood versus the RBZ 3HL that replaced it.

I have noticed that although driver volumes have increased since the mid 90s, face area hasn't by that much. The Cally Warbird driver had way enough face area even for an inconsistent swing. I realize that greater clubhead volume means that MOI is increased which resists face rotation and twisting. But when it comes to FWs, I don't understand that modern clubs have tiny shallow micro faces. Huh? My Cally Warbird 3w has a much bigger face than almost all modern 3ws. Can anyone explain how or why?
The absolute perfection of existence, life, and aesthetic beauty is the work not only of evolution but of a powerful being.

#120 noodle3872

noodle3872

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,745 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8163
  • Handicap:8.3
  • Ebay ID:Noodle3872
GolfWRX Likes : 505

Posted 16 April 2018 - 02:54 PM

A couple changes have really helped my game; A few years ago I switched to a mallet putter.  The extra forgivement/stability helped me hole more putts and leave my misses closer to the hole.  The other change is shortening my driver from 45.5" to 44.75".  I am longer, straighter and more confident off the tee than ever before.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors