Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Reed chooses not to have an equipment deal really?

Patrick Reed Masters Champ

83 replies to this topic

#61 bladehunter

bladehunter

I have a great profile! Especially from the side !

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,771 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291449
  • Handicap:NONE
GolfWRX Likes : 16052

Posted 12 April 2018 - 07:35 AM

i would have loved to be at that party!!! i would have streamed the awards ceremony on my phone for every one !

Edited by bladehunter, 12 April 2018 - 07:35 AM.

17 M1 8.7  Tour Issue Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX
17 M1 14.5  Tour issue Graphite Design   AD DI 8X
Titleist 816H2 21 Graphite Design AD DI 105X
Miura 1957 Small Blades 3-pw Modus 130X
Vokey  sm6   54M  300 series 59  Modus 125X
009 GSS 1.5  , Beached, tungsten sole weights, vertical stamp face

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#62 rgk5

rgk5

rgk5(OLB)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,193 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3525
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 1139

Posted 12 April 2018 - 07:38 AM

View PostJagpilotohio, on 12 April 2018 - 07:29 AM, said:

View Post2putttom, on 11 April 2018 - 09:36 AM, said:

a professional that can't be bought .... huh imagine that.  This should sit well with a small faction of members on this site.

I think everyone here has it wrong.  I don't think any manufacturer wanted to pay a guy that most golf consumers hate. If I were an executive at a Golf company I wouldn't offer him $hit. I was at a Masters viewing party and 7 of 8 people were actively screaming at the TV for him to choke. We actually decided to change the channel and NOT WATCH the awards ceremony.  A first in my adult life.

You don't pay a guy big bucks just because he's good, you pay him because he's good AND you think buyers will relate to him, like him, and have a desire  to play what he plays to emulate him. You put Reed in your equipment and many people will actively choose NOT to buy your gear because a di@khead plays it.  It could quite literally harm your sales rather than help them.

There's a very specific reason Rickie and Jordan quite literally have sponsors beating down their door. People ADORE them.

After a Masters win, he has certainly made himself more marketable, but if you watched the tournament you saw the reaction from the fans.  I don't think I've ever seen more people root harder against someone.  The facial expressions on the still pictures of the fans when he makes the last putt tell the story.  It's amazing to see so much disappointment at such a moment.

Some of yout later points have merit. As I already posted, the deal fell through because of a difference in $ expectations and the fact Patrick did not respond to the "time is of the essence" part of Callaway's offer.  They chose the other player who did respond in a timely manner.

Tour players do not help sales to the general public, only to Geeks like us.

All of the below clubs are ordered to replace my stolen set

Cobra F8+ 10.5*, Project X Even Flow Blue 65 R

Callaway Rogue 15* , Fuji Pro Green 62 R

Ping G400 hybrids 19*, 22*, Alta 70 R

Callaway Rogue Pro 5-pw, Recoil E760 R

Miura Custom 52*, Rogue 115 S

Ping Glide Stealth 58*, Alta 70 R

Cleveland TFI 8.0 Putter, 36"

Tour Velvet Grips

#63 Lodestone

Lodestone

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,029 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 234177
GolfWRX Likes : 1550

Posted 12 April 2018 - 07:54 AM

a professional that can't be bought .... huh imagine that.  This should sit well with a small faction of members on this site.

I think everyone here has it wrong.  I don't think any manufacturer wanted to pay a guy that most golf consumers hate. If I were an executive at a Golf company I wouldn't offer him $hit. I was at a Masters viewing party and 7 of 8 people were actively screaming at the TV for him to choke. We actually decided to change the channel and NOT WATCH the awards ceremony.  A first in my adult life.

You don't pay a guy big bucks just because he's good, you pay him because he's good AND you think buyers will relate to him, like him, and have a desire  to play what he plays to emulate him. You put Reed in your equipment and many people will actively choose NOT to buy your gear because a di@khead plays it.  It could quite literally harm your sales rather than help them.

There's a very specific reason Rickie and Jordan quite literally have sponsors beating down their door. People ADORE them.

After a Masters win, he has certainly made himself more marketable, but if you watched the tournament you saw the reaction from the fans.  I don't think I've ever seen more people root harder against someone.  The facial expressions on the still pictures of the fans when he makes the last putt tell the story.  It's amazing to see so much disappointment at such a moment.

I think you are confusing a few folks you chose to have a Masters Party with "most people"..   I see some faces in there who don't look pleased. Perhaps they "hate" Patrick Reed, perhaps they were rooting for Ricky, or Jordan, or just wanted, as I did, for the party not to end and were hoping for a playoff just because they like playoffs.  Whatever.  But I see many more smiling faces, many more arms raised, than I see unhappy faces.
I don't think this picture confirms your assertion that most people "hate" the guy.

I'd bet, especially in the USA, there are, and have been, a lot more Sergio "haters" than PR haters, yet Sergio has had no problems finding sponsors.

Edit: for all we know, the unhappy faces may be influenced by who they'd put their money in with their favorite bookie.

Attached Thumbnails

• masters-2018-patrick-reed-wins-his-first-green-jacket-after-holding-off-jordan-spieth-and-rickie-fowler-1.jpg

Edited by Lodestone, 12 April 2018 - 08:11 AM.

FORE RIGHT!!!!

#64 Roody

Roody

You ride her until she bucks you or don't ride at all

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63452
  • Handicap:8.9
GolfWRX Likes : 576

Posted 12 April 2018 - 07:54 AM

I played in an LPGA pro-am a few years ago with Laura Diaz. On one of the holes we were all standing around waiting to hit the next shot, so I asked her if I could take a look in her bag. She played Titleist blades, and had a different brand of woods (I think they were TM, I know they were something different than the irons, my memory is fuzzy).

I asked her why the mix? She said she didn't have an equipment contract, and once she decided to go contract-free she thought she'd never have any intention of going back. She said it allowed her to play what she wanted, what worked best for her game. Also she didn't like that when you're locked into a contract, you usually have to keep updating your bag to their latest and greatest. She didn't like constantly changing clubs.
Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2
Titleist 716 T-MB 2-iron
Callaway Apex irons 3-PW
Odyssey Black Series #7
Callaway Jaws and Mack Daddy Wedges

#65 Lodestone

Lodestone

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2018 - 08:09 AM

View PostRoody, on 12 April 2018 - 07:54 AM, said:

I played in an LPGA pro-am a few years ago with Laura Diaz. On one of the holes we were all standing around waiting to hit the next shot, so I asked her if I could take a look in her bag. She played Titleist blades, and had a different brand of woods (I think they were TM, I know they were something different than the irons, my memory is fuzzy).

I asked her why the mix? She said she didn't have an equipment contract, and once she decided to go contract-free she thought she'd never have any intention of going back. She said it allowed her to play what she wanted, what worked best for her game. Also she didn't like that when you're locked into a contract, you usually have to keep updating your bag to their latest and greatest. She didn't like constantly changing clubs.

This makes much more sense to me. So, with a contract, you not only have to play a brand that may not work optimally for you, but you have to keep changing to help market the new clubs. Seems nuts to me.

A player's value is based upon winning.  Keep winning and the money flows in.  To mess with their tools and perhaps jeopardize their performance for a few bucks now, seems idiotic.  Maybe that's part of the reason players rise to the top, and then sink down a bit after the rise.

FORE RIGHT!!!!

#66 Jagpilotohio

Jagpilotohio

Wish I could Putt...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 395936
  • Handicap:2.3
  • Ebay ID:Jagpilotohio
GolfWRX Likes : 3322

Posted 12 April 2018 - 08:22 AM

View Postrgk5, on 12 April 2018 - 07:38 AM, said:

Some of yout later points have merit. As I already posted, the deal fell through because of a difference in $ expectations and the fact Patrick did not respond to the "time is of the essence" part of Callaway's offer.  They chose the other player who did respond in a timely manner.

You would be surprised how many people’s buying choices are actually driven by endorsement personalities. I’m actually not  pulling these opinions out of a hat.  Mass communications and marketing was my area of study in college.

The thing about endorsement contracts that many people seem to forget about, is that if the decision is made properly, it is a good “match” between player and manufacturer. It is NOT simply about skill and achievement. It is about how the public FEELS about the endorser.  Do I like this person? Do I want to emulate this person?  Do I trust this person? Do I value what this person values?

If you were to sit in the corner at a board meeting at Callaway or TM with the topic being endorsement contracts, you would find a great deal of concern and discussion given to whether or not the potential player representative  is a “ good fit “ for the company.  Are they a good “brand ambassador?”

Do they convey the ideals and goals and ethics of this company?  Do we want to be tied to this person with his or her face being directly associated with our product?  Does this person make the potential buyer FEEL good about our product and desire it?

I quite honestly don’t think many people in that meeting would want Patrick Reed to be  a brand ambassador for their company.  I don’t say that as a “Reed hater”, I say that because I think he is generally  more disliked than liked among Golf fans. He does not provide any discernible value or potential sales to the company by partnering with him.

My two cents.  Essentially,  I just don’t think he’s a good pitchman.....for anyone.
9.5* Titleist 917 D3, KKDC 70 TX,  43.5"
14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5"
19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
4-9 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X
Ping glide2 46-12, 50-12,
SM6 56-14 F (at 55), SM6 60-08 at 61
all Wedges recoil Prototype 125 F5's
33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
Srixon Z-star XV

#67 Jagpilotohio

Jagpilotohio

Wish I could Putt...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 395936
  • Handicap:2.3
  • Ebay ID:Jagpilotohio
GolfWRX Likes : 3322

Posted 12 April 2018 - 08:26 AM

View PostLodestone, on 12 April 2018 - 07:54 AM, said:

I think you are confusing a few folks you chose to have a Masters Party with "most people"..   I see some faces in there who don't look pleased. Perhaps they "hate" Patrick Reed, perhaps they were rooting for Ricky, or Jordan, or just wanted, as I did, for the party not to end and were hoping for a playoff just because they like playoffs.  Whatever.  But I see many more smiling faces, many more arms raised, than I see unhappy faces.
I don't think this picture confirms your assertion that most people "hate" the guy.

I'd bet, especially in the USA, there are, and have been, a lot more Sergio "haters" than PR haters, yet Sergio has had no problems finding sponsors.

Edit: for all we know, the unhappy faces may be influenced by who they'd put their money in with their favorite bookie.

My contention is that MOST people that know who Patrick Reed is, and buy golf clubs, do not like Patrick Reed. I literally do not know one person in my life, filled with avid golfers, that does not dislike Patrick Reed.  He is an unpleasant a**.  He is most certainly a generally disliked player in Europe after the Ryder cup antics. Patrick isnít selling any clubs for you over there if heís your poster boy.  He actually will probably COST you a few million in sales.

I would also say Sergio ďhatersĒ are a tiny minority of serious golfers.  I think MOST people generally like Sergio and were actually happy about his Masters win. He also is generally adored overseas, which definitely has value to an international golf company.

I said it in one of the other threads.  Patrick Reed is that obnoxious arrogant  pri@k back in high school that you just knew sooner or later youíd have to punch in the mouth because he popped off one too many times.

Edited by Jagpilotohio, 12 April 2018 - 08:57 AM.

9.5* Titleist 917 D3, KKDC 70 TX,  43.5"
14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5"
19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
4-9 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X
Ping glide2 46-12, 50-12,
SM6 56-14 F (at 55), SM6 60-08 at 61
all Wedges recoil Prototype 125 F5's
33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
Srixon Z-star XV

#68 Lodestone

Lodestone

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2018 - 09:16 AM

View PostJagpilotohio, on 12 April 2018 - 08:26 AM, said:

My contention is that MOST people that know who Patrick Reed is, and buy golf clubs, do not like Patrick Reed. I literally do not know one person in my life, filled with avid golfers, that does not dislike Patrick Reed.  He is an unpleasant a**.  He is most certainly a generally disliked player in Europe after the Ryder cup antics. Patrick isn't selling any clubs for you over there if he's your poster boy.  He actually will probably COST you a few million in sales.

I would also say Sergio "haters" are a tiny minority of serious golfers.  I think MOST people generally like Sergio and were actually happy about his Masters win. He also is generally adored overseas, which definitely has value to an international golf company.

I said it in one of the other threads.  Patrick Reed is that obnoxious arrogant  pri@k back in high school that you just knew sooner or later you'd have to punch in the mouth because he popped off one too many times.

I think it depends upon what you are selling. Did Tiger lose his equipment contracts after his personal problems became public. (I honestly don't remember)  I know he lost a lot of other endorsements that attempted to feed off of his "character" and how he was perceived publicly.  I don't agree that golfers buy clubs based upon how much they "like" the golfer, but in the (usually vain) hope that the product will help their golf game.
FORE RIGHT!!!!

#69 BottleCap

BottleCap

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132067
GolfWRX Likes : 374

Posted 12 April 2018 - 09:30 AM

View Postmanku, on 11 April 2018 - 10:27 AM, said:

View PostBottleCap, on 10 April 2018 - 10:28 PM, said:

View Post2ball, on 10 April 2018 - 09:10 PM, said:

View PostSwisstrader98, on 10 April 2018 - 09:04 PM, said:

Why is this so shocking? The guy likes the idea that he can choose whatever clubs from any manufacturer out there and not be beholden to any particular equipment manufacturer and after what he pulled off this past weekend, sure looks like it worked out for him

i think a top 20 player with a win every year on tour could get a pretty sweet club deal.

It would be nice to have, but a guy like that doesn't need a club deal, they have plenty of money

Its guys like Jamie Lovemark, Dechambeau, and Beau Hossler that need club deals for the money

Lovemark has made nearly 5mm over the past 2.5 years (just on PGA)...even with travel, commissions, caddie, entourage, taxes I think most of us (especially at age 30) wouldn't be eating Top Ramen for dinner every night with that type of income!

So do you think Reed needs an equipment deal if guy like Lovemark is pulling in that amount of money?
Titleist 913 D2 10.5 Fujikura Speeder Evolution 2 661
Titleist 915F 15 Fujikura Speeder Evolution 757
Titleist 718 AP2 3-4 AMT S300
Titleist 712 MB 5-PW DG S300
Vokey SM6 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT

#70 KnightPS

KnightPS

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366191
  • Handicap:7.3
GolfWRX Likes : 225

Posted 12 April 2018 - 09:58 AM

Can someone explain what he has done that is so awful as a touring pro?  His family issues are his, and his college past is in the past.  On Tour, in the last 5 or 6 years, other than being confident borderline arrogant and keeping to himself, what did he do to garner the hate from everyone?  

The cheating in college appears to come from ONE instance of almost playing the wrong ball.  Is it possible he was such a cocky young kid that his teammates chose to believe he cheated to beat them?  It sucks to have an unlikable personality tell you he is going to mop the greens with you and then go ahead and do it.  

He is not my favorite player, but I harbor no ill will and certainly don't hold missteps as a young college student against him.

TaylorMade M2 - Stock
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 - 3w
Titleist 915Hd 21° Aldila Rogue Black 85H
Titleist AP2 FST KBS Tour X 4-PW
Vokey SM5 52' 56' 60'
Bettinardi BB43

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#71 bladehunter

bladehunter

I have a great profile! Especially from the side !

• Advanced Members
  • 17,771 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291449
  • Handicap:NONE
GolfWRX Likes : 16052

Posted 12 April 2018 - 10:19 AM

You canít  explain it. Some folks just have an unfounded unexplainable hate for some folks.  Itís rooted in the lack of ability to empathize with someone elseís situation.  Usually because of either a sheltered upbringing or an upbringing with stress towards distrust of a certain group.  

Sometimes its just jealousy too.  Some lean towards the imperial whitewashed stance of once a ( instert whatever adjective you like ) always a ( same word ).

Hate like this toward anyone who isnít a proven murderer or rapist is a pretty obtuse view.  

The world has many more flawed leaders and productive citizens that have pasts they arenít proud of , than  it does perfect souls with perfect reputations.  It matters less what we did yesterday  Than it does what we will do today and tomorrow.

Not said to talk down to anyone. Just maybe to make us all think about it from a different point of view.
17 M1 8.7  Tour Issue Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX
17 M1 14.5  Tour issue Graphite Design   AD DI 8X
Titleist 816H2 21 Graphite Design AD DI 105X
Miura 1957 Small Blades 3-pw Modus 130X
Vokey  sm6   54M  300 series 59  Modus 125X
009 GSS 1.5  , Beached, tungsten sole weights, vertical stamp face

#72 jmvargas

jmvargas

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,850 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59492
  • Handicap:14
GolfWRX Likes : 1258

Posted 12 April 2018 - 03:25 PM

some people are just likeable...others are just not.

i once met a presidential candidate in our country who was very personable in person but just unwinnable because of his public persona..

i'm guessing patrick reed is one of those..

....for me anyway..

PS. i'm certainly not buying any clubs just because he's using them..
Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized  55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

#73 lsu_atx_golf

lsu_atx_golf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 167869
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 50

Posted 12 April 2018 - 03:43 PM

View Postsemarlor, on 10 April 2018 - 09:04 PM, said:

I hope the trend continues. I love seeing the bags of guys that don't have an equipment deal. I can understand if you are just starting out needing the money to get your career going, but once you're established it seems like clothing/shoe/bag money would be enough to play whatever equipment you like and are most comfortable with. Not that I know anything about life on tour or what these guys need to survive...I just love seeing an interesting WITB on Monday and Tuesday, lol.

Equipment deals are pretty nice though.  Most have a $ amount for per club per competitive round.  You can cover a majority of expense on a MC week with those funds.
Driver: Cobra F8+ 8*, Tensei Pro Blue, X-flex
1 iron: Mizuno MP-H5
3 Iron: Srixon U65
Irons: Cleveland 588cb 4-P, Preceision Rifle 6.5, 2*up
Wedges: RTX 3- 50*, 54* and 60*
Putter: EvnRoll 5, 35", 0*, 74*

#74 bscinstnct

bscinstnct

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 21,614 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77664
GolfWRX Likes : 16901

Posted 12 April 2018 - 03:48 PM

View PostJagpilotohio, on 12 April 2018 - 08:26 AM, said:

My contention is that MOST people that know who Patrick Reed is, and buy golf clubs, do not like Patrick Reed. I literally do not know one person in my life, filled with avid golfers, that does not dislike Patrick Reed.  He is an unpleasant a**.  He is most certainly a generally disliked player in Europe after the Ryder cup antics. Patrick isn't selling any clubs for you over there if he's your poster boy.  He actually will probably COST you a few million in sales.

I would also say Sergio "haters" are a tiny minority of serious golfers.  I think MOST people generally like Sergio and were actually happy about his Masters win. He also is generally adored overseas, which definitely has value to an international golf company.

I said it in one of the other threads.  Patrick Reed is that obnoxious arrogant  pri@k back in high school that you just knew sooner or later you'd have to punch in the mouth because he popped off one too many times.

You can't go anecdotally by your friends, birds of a feather flock together, so to speak. And you have a serious issue with Reed, you seem quite angry about the guy. Do you think that this reflects most people?

In the very large set of demographics nationally, for every person who hates Reed, there is someone who likes him.  

Just like TW, sort of, and TWs baggage makes Reeds look like a carry on case ; )

That's how it works. I hated that show, what was it, 30 Rock, but many liked it a lot.

In general, advertisers are looking to back a winner since it gets the most eyeball on their brand. In Reed's case, all eyes were on him to see the victory. He is a Master's Champion. That's what real golfers care about.

#75 manku

manku

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 425594
GolfWRX Likes : 256

Posted 12 April 2018 - 03:51 PM

View PostBottleCap, on 12 April 2018 - 09:30 AM, said:

View Postmanku, on 11 April 2018 - 10:27 AM, said:

View PostBottleCap, on 10 April 2018 - 10:28 PM, said:

View Post2ball, on 10 April 2018 - 09:10 PM, said:

View PostSwisstrader98, on 10 April 2018 - 09:04 PM, said:

Why is this so shocking? The guy likes the idea that he can choose whatever clubs from any manufacturer out there and not be beholden to any particular equipment manufacturer and after what he pulled off this past weekend, sure looks like it worked out for him

i think a top 20 player with a win every year on tour could get a pretty sweet club deal.

It would be nice to have, but a guy like that doesn't need a club deal, they have plenty of money

Its guys like Jamie Lovemark, Dechambeau, and Beau Hossler that need club deals for the money

Lovemark has made nearly 5mm over the past 2.5 years (just on PGA)...even with travel, commissions, caddie, entourage, taxes I think most of us (especially at age 30) wouldn't be eating Top Ramen for dinner every night with that type of income!

So do you think Reed needs an equipment deal if guy like Lovemark is pulling in that amount of money?

Not sure if you're asking me, but a 27 year old with lifetime PGA winnings of over 22mm (not counting endorsements, corporate outings etc) should be set for life...assuming he wants to live a very nice upper middle class lifestyle depending on where he lives and how many mooching relatives and friends he has.

So I guess the answer is no...but as the saying goes, you can never be too rich or too thin!

#76 Cwebb

Cwebb

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,954 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21353
GolfWRX Likes : 1419

Posted 12 April 2018 - 04:22 PM

View PostRoody, on 12 April 2018 - 07:54 AM, said:

This is the part that has always been crazy to me.  Someone gets on a hot streak or has a good season or two....and then is "forced" to change clubs.

The greats in the past never had to do this and would many times play most clubs until they were "worn out"

#77 OrangeGravy

OrangeGravy

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 322661
  • Handicap:$$
  • Ebay ID:OrangeGravy
GolfWRX Likes : 424

Posted 12 April 2018 - 08:36 PM

View Postbladehunter, on 12 April 2018 - 10:19 AM, said:

You can't  explain it. Some folks just have an unfounded unexplainable hate for some folks.  It's rooted in the lack of ability to empathize with someone else's situation.  Usually because of either a sheltered upbringing or an upbringing with stress towards distrust of a certain group.  

Sometimes its just jealousy too.  Some lean towards the imperial whitewashed stance of once a ( instert whatever adjective you like ) always a ( same word ).

Hate like this toward anyone who isn't a proven murderer or rapist is a pretty obtuse view.  

The world has many more flawed leaders and productive citizens that have pasts they aren't proud of , than  it does perfect souls with perfect reputations.  It matters less what we did yesterday  Than it does what we will do today and tomorrow.

Not said to talk down to anyone. Just maybe to make us all think about it from a different point of view.

I couldn't have said it any better. By my way of thinking, I don't understand how someone could possibly actually truly dislike or hate someone from this far away who hasn't physically assaulted another human being or said things that were completely unforgivable. I mean I hate Tom Brady. Can't stand him, but that is in a superficial sports fan context and doesn't carry over to real life. I might actually like him in real life and probably would. The 2 are separate for me. It certainly feels like for some people the sports hate = real life hate, which I can't comprehend.
Taylormade Burner Bubble/ S-90 Steel
Sonartec 3.5/YS-6+
Wishon 550 cm 4-p
Cleveland 588 DSG 56*
Cleveland 588 DSG/RTG+ 59*
Odyssey White Hot 6

#78 2ball

2ball

LEFTY

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15610
GolfWRX Likes : 131

Posted 16 April 2018 - 05:23 PM

View PostKnightPS, on 11 April 2018 - 10:15 AM, said:

Is there any risk to playing without an equipment deal and not having access to the tour vans for tweaks and repairs?

kind of my thoughts. "....Back of the line Reed, we will get to your irons when we get to them..."

but back in the day there was a hierarchy for club spsonsorships

elite multi-major winner status i.e. phil and tiger...

then....

x amount for full bag
x amount for irons (sponsors name on bag)
x amount for the driver (wear the hat too...)
x amount for the wedges
x amount for the putter
x amount for the hat
x amount for the shirt chest
x amount for the sleeve etc...

Edited by 2ball, 16 April 2018 - 05:40 PM.

#79 2ball

2ball

LEFTY

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 05:32 PM

you couldn't be more wrong with that last statement  ....:Tour players do not help sales to the general public, only to Geeks like us."

#80 nichho

nichho

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 75678
  • Ebay ID:nichho
GolfWRX Likes : 883

Posted 16 April 2018 - 05:42 PM

I thought about starting a new thread for this as there are so many absolute nuggets of gold here, but i thought it would be unfair to the OP so here is one mans take on it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...t/golf/43786005

Cobra King 7 Fujikura Pro 60 Stiff
Mizuno JPX 900 Hybrid 16* Orochi stiff
Mizuno JPX Fli-Hi 19* TT XP

Mizuno JPX Fli-Hi 25* TT XP
Mizuno MP5  4 - PW DG S300
Mizuno S5 50* & 56* TTDG Wedge flex
Odyssey V Line White Pro

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#81 QuigleyDU

QuigleyDU

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,258 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62095
  • Ebay ID:reederc2
GolfWRX Likes : 1400

Posted 17 April 2018 - 06:43 AM

View Postbvmagic, on 12 April 2018 - 07:01 AM, said:

I like the idea as well, one company does not make all the best clubs.  I figured Tiger would have done the same when Nike got out of equipment.  Not like he needs the extra sponsorship $ from Taylormade.

he does not need it, but he wants it. Tiger is about the green more than anything else.
driver: SRIXON Z745
fairway: NIKE VAPOR 13*
3-4 IRON: MIZZY MP H5 GD AMT X100.
5-PW IRONS: MP5 DG AMT X100
WEDGES; CLEVELAND rtx 3.0 RAW
PUTTER; PING SIGMA G SHEA H
BALL; various, ask me that day.

#82 Anser

Anser

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,747 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28177
  • Ebay ID:ADX
GolfWRX Likes : 1197

Posted 17 April 2018 - 06:57 AM

View PostJagpilotohio, on 12 April 2018 - 08:22 AM, said:

You would be surprised how many people’s buying choices are actually driven by endorsement personalities. I’m actually not  pulling these opinions out of a hat.  Mass communications and marketing was my area of study in college.

The thing about endorsement contracts that many people seem to forget about, is that if the decision is made properly, it is a good “match” between player and manufacturer. It is NOT simply about skill and achievement. It is about how the public FEELS about the endorser.  Do I like this person? Do I want to emulate this person?  Do I trust this person? Do I value what this person values?

If you were to sit in the corner at a board meeting at Callaway or TM with the topic being endorsement contracts, you would find a great deal of concern and discussion given to whether or not the potential player representative  is a “ good fit “ for the company.  Are they a good “brand ambassador?”

Do they convey the ideals and goals and ethics of this company?  Do we want to be tied to this person with his or her face being directly associated with our product?  Does this person make the potential buyer FEEL good about our product and desire it?

I quite honestly don’t think many people in that meeting would want Patrick Reed to be  a brand ambassador for their company.  I don’t say that as a “Reed hater”, I say that because I think he is generally  more disliked than liked among Golf fans. He does not provide any discernible value or potential sales to the company by partnering with him.

My two cents.  Essentially,  I just don’t think he’s a good pitchman.....for anyone.

That may have been what you studied, but like most of business school it's not reality in the golf biz.

RGK and I actually lived in the business for significant time and he still does.  IF customers DID buy clubs due to player X using them they sure never shared that info with us.  Nobody ever came in and asked "what does player x use".  And certainly never heard "player x uses club y so I want club y"

It just doesn't happen
TM M4 D-Type 9.5 - Tour AD IZ 7s
TM M4 3HL, 5 HL, Tour AD IZ 7s
Cleveland Hibore Xli 3,4,5
TM 790 6-AW, Project X LZ 6.0
Cleveland RTX 54/58
TaylorMade HiToe 64
Evnroll ER-5, Evnroll ER-2.1

#83 Anser

Anser

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,747 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28177
  • Ebay ID:ADX
GolfWRX Likes : 1197

Posted 17 April 2018 - 06:58 AM

View Post2ball, on 16 April 2018 - 05:32 PM, said:

you couldn't be more wrong with that last statement  ....:Tour players do not help sales to the general public, only to Geeks like us."

Between RGK and I we sold about 10 million worth of hard goods - maybe our experiences were unique being in totally different areas.  But people don't buy clubs based on pro's endorsements.  Most don't even know what they're actually playing.
TM M4 D-Type 9.5 - Tour AD IZ 7s
TM M4 3HL, 5 HL, Tour AD IZ 7s
Cleveland Hibore Xli 3,4,5
TM 790 6-AW, Project X LZ 6.0
Cleveland RTX 54/58
TaylorMade HiToe 64
Evnroll ER-5, Evnroll ER-2.1

#84 2ball

2ball

LEFTY

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 11:25 AM

View PostAnser, on 17 April 2018 - 06:58 AM, said:

View Post2ball, on 16 April 2018 - 05:32 PM, said:

Between RGK and I we sold about 10 million worth of hard goods - maybe our experiences were unique being in totally different areas.  But people don't buy clubs based on pro's endorsements.  Most don't even know what they're actually playing.

What did you sell? Maybe that is why your experience was different? were you selling clubs, balls?

I worked for Wilson Sporting Goods for 6 years and can tell you it does make a difference. I can tell you why Wilson has a relationship with Streelman, Steele and Harrington. Why they sponsored Daly and Singh. Wilson Sporting Goods at a time tried to market golf in the same fashion that found success in Tennis but the approach didn't work because what the pro's play on Sunday does affect what is bought on Monday.

Edited by 2ball, 17 April 2018 - 11:28 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors