Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Slow Start - advice needed

30 replies to this topic

#31 jollysammy

jollysammy

Jollysammy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99257
  • Ebay ID:ajjustin
GolfWRX Likes : 130

Posted 03 May 2018 - 02:02 PM

Diet is more important than you think.  As one of those obsessive performance dads I've seen and probably tried everything.  I began to realize that performance usually dropped around hole 12-13.  It was like he was going from Jordan Speith to Joe Blow weekend hacker.  I knew he doesn't suddenly get stupid.  It was fine muscle control.  What's worse is that it doesn't appear like sudden weakness, they actually start swinging harder, which means they get into trouble more, and then the simple putts don't drop, they are losing fine motor control, the sequencing goes off.  

I really noticed it last year in a tournament he won.  They gave him a big sandwich right before the round which he ate on the practice green.  he starts the round and proceeds to have 6 birdies and I think 1 bogey.  he's at hole 15 or 16 when wham, it hits, double bogey, followed by bogey, in the water on the last hole.  Instead of coming in strong 5 under, he's hit the wall and finally putts out to shoot a 70.  There was a logjam at 72,  8 other golfers waiting for him in the final group to come in.  His friend says when he made that last putt he had the saddest face in the world, of course it was because he thought he blew the tournament not realizing he had won it.

2 weeks later we are in Modesto.  This time I try something.  I bought bottles of Ensure and had him drink a bottle at ehe practice tee..  he hated  it,  it doesn't taste so good when its at room temperature.   1 hour later after parring 4 holes in a row he went  birdie, eagle, birdie, with the last birdie being a par 3 which the other guys in his foursome saw that it almost went in for a hole in one.  They told him right then and there that they though he was going to win the tournament with the performance they saw.   Especially the par 5, where he was on in 2 and then sank a 35 foot putt for eagle that was uphill and then downhill to the hole.

he didn't win that tournament.  The Ensure only boosted him for an hour, and he refused to drink another one because they taste awful,  too bad.  I to this day wonder what he would've accomplished if he downed an Ensure every hour.  You try everything to help your kid win, if becoming the next big pro golfer was as simple as drinking an Ensure every 4 holes, I would be buying that stuff by the caseload.  Of course, they have to be a decent golfer to begin with.  This will not work if your kid is hacking it up all over the course.

Edited by jollysammy, 03 May 2018 - 02:03 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors