Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Mizuno fitting in Tokyo?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 true8

true8

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 381702
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 10 April 2018 - 12:22 AM

I will be in Tokyo next month and will be visiting a Mizuno store. Any thoughts on having a fitting there vs here in Canada? Theres a fitting day I'm going to on Thursday but how many extra shaft options would be available compared to here and does anyone know the cost difference in irons?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 No Catchy Nickname

No Catchy Nickname

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,476 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 383010
  • Handicap:me
GolfWRX Likes : 5093

Posted 10 April 2018 - 12:36 AM

View Posttrue8, on 10 April 2018 - 12:22 AM, said:

I will be in Tokyo next month and will be visiting a Mizuno store. Any thoughts on having a fitting there vs here in Canada? Theres a fitting day I'm going to on Thursday but how many extra shaft options would be available compared to here and does anyone know the cost difference in irons?

I can't comment on prices in Canada, but one thing you need to be aware of is that some of the offerings are different in Japan. For example, the Japan version of the MP-18 (or Mizuno Pro 118 as it is called here, IIRC), has a copper underlay. Also, there is no SC version in Japan, and I'm pretty sure there's no JPX Tour irons (the one Brooks Koepka used to win the US Open last year). So if you're planning to get fitted in Tokyo, then buy the clubs in Canada, you may find the clubs you were fitted for aren't available.

Incidentally, I got fitted in the UK, and had my clubs shipped to Japan (the shop got me a deal on that). I got hit with custom duties in Japan, and I think I should have been able to get the 20% VAT (sales tax) in the UK knocked off the price. Still worked out a bit cheaper than buying in Japan, but not much.
Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
4w: TaylorMade R9 stock Fujikura Motore X flex
7w  TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
Driving Iron: Tourstage Airmuscle with DGS200 (for occasional use only)
Irons (4i-PW): Mizuno MP18 PX6.0 @ + 1/2"   
Wedges: Callaway MD2 50* S and 54* S-grind
              Titlesit Vokey 260 60*                  
Putter: Macgregor Muirfield or Wilson TPA XVIII

#3 true8

true8

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 381702
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 10 April 2018 - 09:15 AM

I was planning on buying the clubs in Tokyo as well if I'd be able to bring them back on time. Didn't know The MP-18 SC weren't available as those are the ones I want. Do you know best shops in Tokyo for used clubs as well, I'm a lefty so I'm assuming options are limited? I'm gonna try to get a wedge to bring home

#4 No Catchy Nickname

No Catchy Nickname

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,476 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 383010
  • Handicap:me
GolfWRX Likes : 5093

Posted 10 April 2018 - 09:52 AM

View Posttrue8, on 10 April 2018 - 09:15 AM, said:

I was planning on buying the clubs in Tokyo as well if I'd be able to bring them back on time. Didn't know The MP-18 SC weren't available as those are the ones I want. Do you know best shops in Tokyo for used clubs as well, I'm a lefty so I'm assuming options are limited? I'm gonna try to get a wedge to bring home

I don't live in the Tokyo area anymore, so I'm not that familiar with the golf stores there. Also, left-handed options are probably more limited here than in Europe/North America (lefties are rare over here. I suspect lots of Japanese kids were forced to grow up right-handed). However, this thread may help:
http://www.golfwrx.c...for-used-clubs/

I will add that I went around a couple of second hand golf shops in Tokyo a year or so ago, and while I was impressed with their selection (I'm a rightie), I wasn't so impressed with their prices compared to the local second hand shop near me. Still, you might find something that you'll struggle get hold of in Canada, so definitely worth a look.
Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
4w: TaylorMade R9 stock Fujikura Motore X flex
7w  TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
Driving Iron: Tourstage Airmuscle with DGS200 (for occasional use only)
Irons (4i-PW): Mizuno MP18 PX6.0 @ + 1/2"   
Wedges: Callaway MD2 50* S and 54* S-grind
              Titlesit Vokey 260 60*                  
Putter: Macgregor Muirfield or Wilson TPA XVIII

#5 sirukuma

sirukuma

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104446
GolfWRX Likes : 41

Posted 16 May 2018 - 12:50 PM

View PostNo Catchy Nickname, on 10 April 2018 - 09:52 AM, said:

View Posttrue8, on 10 April 2018 - 09:15 AM, said:

I don't live in the Tokyo area anymore, so I'm not that familiar with the golf stores there. Also, left-handed options are probably more limited here than in Europe/North America (lefties are rare over here. I suspect lots of Japanese kids were forced to grow up right-handed). However, this thread may help:
http://www.golfwrx.c...for-used-clubs/

I will add that I went around a couple of second hand golf shops in Tokyo a year or so ago, and while I was impressed with their selection (I'm a rightie), I wasn't so impressed with their prices compared to the local second hand shop near me. Still, you might find something that you'll struggle get hold of in Canada, so definitely worth a look.
I just posted a list of stores with Google links to the forum thread mentioned above.  Meant to do it for this discussion but did a cut/paste job without checking closely which thread I pasted to.  Sorry for that but new info there should be of use to you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors