Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

2018 RBC Heritage


191 replies to this topic

#181 BNGL

BNGL

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 472816
  • Joined: 06/26/2017
  • Location:Jupiter, Florida
GolfWRX Likes : 647

Posted 15 April 2018 - 09:06 PM

View Postcardoustie, on 15 April 2018 - 07:10 PM, said:

At some point they said the greens were not rolled or cot as short today ... due to calls for very high winds today

All players struggled w leaving putts short

Anytime telecasters make comments as tour course setup take it with a huge grain of salt, take the whole shaker. Even if they didn't cut the greens, there wouldn't be significant growth on them, so significant to affect green speeds tremendously. A roll might depending on a variety of factors. When I used to setup for pga events, the tour not shirt folders, there's so much stunting of growth via plant growth regulators, that even when we cut at night following play, we barely get a dust of clippings.
A roll might get you 6 inches with each successive rolling not getting as much. Typically what we did if we were expecting adverse weather such as high winds was soften the greens, and try to fatten the leaf blade. Instead of watering at 15, I might make the number 22 or even 25.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#182 rawdog

rawdog

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424320
  • Joined: 05/08/2016
  • Location:Cleveland, OH
  • Handicap:8.6
  • Ebay ID:staghornsandmore
GolfWRX Likes : 1925

Posted 15 April 2018 - 09:15 PM

View PostPGArox, on 15 April 2018 - 06:45 PM, said:

Seemingly unlike most here, I avoided all news and updates and watched the recorded coverage of the final round as if it were live.

Kind of tough watching a bunch of B players who were afraid to get the ball to the hole.  From the first hole you could see that the high humidity and cloud cover were keeping the greens slower than what most players expected, but time after time guys were coming up short, sometimes woefully.

Si Woo Kim could've won this thing going away, but he had no conviction on the greens.  Most of his challengers faded away, which gave the few guys who played well a chance to make big moves.

Anyway, big congrats to Satoshi Kodaira, who admitted he wasn't even thinking about winning when he teed off earlier.  It has been a dream of his to play full time on the PGA TOUR, and we'll see what he makes of it.

Also a big week (money, of course, and Ryder Cup points) for Bryson DeChambeau.  I'd like to see as young a team as possible do battle against the Europeans in France.

Big BD fan here, but I gotta say... would've been a bigger week without the snowman and two doubles yesterday. I hate the "what if" game, but... he went 68, 64, 66 in the other 3 rounds.

Rooting for him and hoping those compounding mistakes become fewer and fewer.

Side note, didn't realize he was 18th in RC Points (as of last week). Continued strong play and he has an outside shot.

Edited by rawdog, 15 April 2018 - 09:16 PM.

Cobra LTD Driver
Aldila Rogue Black, 9.5* @44.5"
Mizuno Fli-Hi T-Zoid  18* & 21*
In1Zone Single Length Fairway Woods
Graffaloy ProLaunch Axis Blue @41.5" 7W = 23*
Cobra F7 One Length Irons
Nippon Modus 105 Stiff @ 36.5"
6I = 24*   7I = 29*   8I = 34*   9I = 39*   PW = 44*   GW = 49*   SW = 54*   LW = 59*
Odyssey #9 HT Metal X Milled @33.5"
Maxfli SoftFli

2

#183 bladehunter

bladehunter

    I have a great profile! Especially from the side !

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,711 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291449
  • Joined: 01/12/2014
  • Location:south carolina
  • Handicap:NONE
GolfWRX Likes : 16001

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:36 PM

View PostBNGL, on 15 April 2018 - 09:06 PM, said:

View Postcardoustie, on 15 April 2018 - 07:10 PM, said:

At some point they said the greens were not rolled or cot as short today ... due to calls for very high winds today

All players struggled w leaving putts short

Anytime telecasters make comments as tour course setup take it with a huge grain of salt, take the whole shaker. Even if they didn't cut the greens, there wouldn't be significant growth on them, so significant to affect green speeds tremendously. A roll might depending on a variety of factors. When I used to setup for pga events, the tour not shirt folders, there's so much stunting of growth via plant growth regulators, that even when we cut at night following play, we barely get a dust of clippings.
A roll might get you 6 inches with each successive rolling not getting as much. Typically what we did if we were expecting adverse weather such as high winds was soften the greens, and try to fatten the leaf blade. Instead of watering at 15, I might make the number 22 or even 25.

as a former greens mower myself i can absolutely agree with you...  this time of year with the over night temps we have ( im in SC) had they arent growing much yet .....  id be shocked if you had to empty the bucket before you finished if you walk mowed all 18 with the same single mower. they run over them more to roll them than anything.
17 M1 8.7  Tour Issue Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX
17 M1 14.5  Tour issue Graphite Design   AD DI 8X
Titleist 816H2 21 Graphite Design AD DI 105X
Miura 1957 Small Blades 3-pw Modus 130X
Vokey  sm6   54M  300 series 59  Modus 125X
009 GSS 1.5  , Beached, tungsten sole weights, vertical stamp face

3

#184 iBanesto

iBanesto

    Niclas Fasth

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,834 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18328
  • Joined: 08/24/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 1357

Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:55 AM

The most surprising winner of the year?

Congrats to Kodaira. He has done so well since his 2017 JGTO season.

4

#185 mosesgolf

mosesgolf

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,349 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6303
  • Joined: 09/28/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 1644

Posted 16 April 2018 - 05:45 AM

Congrats to Kodaira.   I love seeing wins like this that changes a man’s life forever.
As for Si Woo Kim one rarely sees a putting collapse like that at his level.  IMO he just need to hit his putts harder.

Taylormade 10.5 2017 M1 Kuro Kage 70 Stiff
Taylormade R15 14.5 Fuji 661 Stiff
Taylormade RBZ Tour Hybrid 18.5. Altus Stiff
Taylormade Tour Preferred CB 4-PW
Taylormade Tour Preferred EFT 52, 56, 60
Taylormade Ghost Tour 34

5

#186 Lodestone

Lodestone

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,029 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 234177
  • Joined: 03/04/2013
  • Location:Upstate NY
GolfWRX Likes : 1550

Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:17 AM

View PostDarth Putter, on 15 April 2018 - 08:14 PM, said:

View PostPGArox, on 15 April 2018 - 06:53 PM, said:

View PostDavePelz4, on 15 April 2018 - 06:48 PM, said:

I'm looking forward to the replay.  Figuring Luke List wins this time.

If you watch it three more times perhaps he will.  Dude's getting closer and closer. :)

My replay has Tom Watson beating Frank Conner in a playoff.

That's really weird, man, cuz I know I saw a very skinny Nick Faldo wearing some throwback 1984 golf togs, holding a big trophy and wearing a "tartan" jacket.
FORE RIGHT!!!!

6

#187 Argonne69

Argonne69

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,551 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102839
  • Joined: 02/01/2010
  • Location:Chicago, IL
GolfWRX Likes : 21006

Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:54 AM

Two minutes to hit a putt? Two frikin' minutes? The tour needs a shot clock. On every shot. Imagine every player deciding that they need two minutes to hit every shot.

7

#188 2putttom

2putttom

    # 1 Oregon Duck fan

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,693 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 177144
  • Joined: 04/24/2012
  • Location:N.California, LInks @ Bodega Bay
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 4855

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:00 AM

View PostArgonne69, on 16 April 2018 - 09:54 AM, said:

Two minutes to hit a putt? Two frikin' minutes? The tour needs a shot clock. On every shot. Imagine every player deciding that they need two minutes to hit every shot.
gave me enough time to mix a martini and sit back down without missing anything
Tour Exotics E 10 15*
Adams CMB 4-6  MB2's 7-9 1 more season
Mizuno Mp 4 52 MP T7 56 &60
Bobby Grace Jericho II Tour S Bend
Oregon Ducks Bag

8

#189 Lodestone

Lodestone

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,029 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 234177
  • Joined: 03/04/2013
  • Location:Upstate NY
GolfWRX Likes : 1550

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:10 AM

View Post2putttom, on 16 April 2018 - 10:00 AM, said:

View PostArgonne69, on 16 April 2018 - 09:54 AM, said:

Two minutes to hit a putt? Two frikin' minutes? The tour needs a shot clock. On every shot. Imagine every player deciding that they need two minutes to hit every shot.
gave me enough time to mix a martini and sit back down without missing anything

Gave me enough time to nod off.
FORE RIGHT!!!!

9

#190 fox88gt

fox88gt

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 408074
  • Joined: 01/08/2016
  • Location:Wisconsin
GolfWRX Likes : 35

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:28 PM

After a severe weather day in Wisconsin and spending most of it running my snowblower, I'm looking forward to watching the final round on DVR tonight.

Titleist 909D2 10.5 Aldila Voodoo S-Flex
Titleist 906F2 15 3W
Titleist 906F2 18 5W
Titleist 690.CB 3-PW

Titleist Vokey SM6 54.10 S Grind
Titleist Vokey SM5 60.07 S Grind
Odyssey White Hot Pro #9 Black

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#191 Potatohead

Potatohead

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124789
  • Joined: 03/18/2011
  • Location:Vancouver
  • Ebay ID:n8s_stang
GolfWRX Likes : 1003

Posted 16 April 2018 - 02:22 PM

I don't understand why the Tour doesn't insist guys read their putts at the same time. When they both walk to the green and have thirty footers and the second guy doesn't start reading his putt until the first guy hits his... Like wtf is that all about. They could probably cut rounds by 20-30 minutes on that alone.

Mind you, they probably don't want to, longer rounds is more commercial time.

11

#192 imakaveli

imakaveli

    Ma-nas-se-ro. Got it? ;)

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,168 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131351
  • Joined: 06/22/2011
  • Location:Milano, Italy
  • Handicap:3.8
GolfWRX Likes : 4729

Posted 18 April 2018 - 10:33 AM

View PostPotatohead, on 16 April 2018 - 02:22 PM, said:

I don't understand why the Tour doesn't insist guys read their putts at the same time. When they both walk to the green and have thirty footers and the second guy doesn't start reading his putt until the first guy hits his... Like wtf is that all about. They could probably cut rounds by 20-30 minutes on that alone.

Mind you, they probably don't want to, longer rounds is more commercial time.

The Tour is made rich by the players. As long as the top players are slow I don't see any changes in sight (imho)

12



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors