Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Ricky Fowler is tracking to be the next Hogan

80 replies to this topic

#61 deasy55

deasy55

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,832 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 155121
GolfWRX Likes : 2073

Posted 12 April 2018 - 03:07 AM

View PostSixcat, on 10 April 2018 - 09:36 AM, said:

Who is this "Ricky Fowler" and what has he done with Rickie Fowler?!?!?

He kidnapped the real Rickie Fowler along with his pals McElroy and Kymer.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#62 Dr. Block

Dr. Block

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 477376
  • Handicap:2.4
GolfWRX Likes : 542

Posted 14 April 2018 - 11:53 AM

Never underestimate the power of bearing a resemblance to Leonardo DiCaprio.

In all seriousness though, the swing he has and the prowess with the flatstick...perplexing that he hasnít achieved more thus far.

Edited by Dr. Block, 14 April 2018 - 11:55 AM.

#63 bucky316

bucky316

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3514
GolfWRX Likes : 193

Posted 14 April 2018 - 12:14 PM

when Fowler bragged about finishing 2nd ahead of Spieth....that spoke volumes to me   ....he seems too comfortable with his fame & fortune

#64 schley

schley

Love ya don't tell ya enough!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58583
  • Handicap:12.3
GolfWRX Likes : 209

Posted 14 April 2018 - 12:44 PM

View Postbucky316, on 14 April 2018 - 12:14 PM, said:

when Fowler bragged about finishing 2nd ahead of Spieth....that spoke volumes to me   ....he seems too comfortable with his fame & fortune

Totally I mean WTF 5 or so years ago they were grabbing every PGA tour guy and ask about all the "young guns", and how many majors do they have combined?

Tiger has 14, and averaged about 1.3 per year from 1997-2008.  Congrats you are making bank money, but hardware is lacking so you are almost 30 bro and soon to be maybe Charles Howell.  Nothing wrong with that, but you aren't an elite guy.

There are quite a few very good players with no majors, Westwood, Fowler, Kuchar.  Sergio finally dropped it and I didn't think he was going to, certainly not at Augusta.

#65 Chopshop23

Chopshop23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 206587
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 14 April 2018 - 01:34 PM

Ole Rick, definitely doesn't subscribe to the Tiger take of 2nd place is 1st loser !

#66 ZAP

ZAP

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,302 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 165699
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 901

Posted 14 April 2018 - 07:48 PM

I feel like the way he was able to finish that final round off may help him in the future.  That back nine was pretty darn good.

#67 Guia

Guia

Ancient Dude

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,280 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97501
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 2095

Posted 14 April 2018 - 08:01 PM

I don't know what you are on, but please pass it around.

I am all for him to win several Majors.

Edited by Guia, 14 April 2018 - 11:31 PM.

#68 bscinstnct

bscinstnct

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,614 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77664
GolfWRX Likes : 16901

Posted 14 April 2018 - 10:50 PM

Hogan and Rickie?

Little comparison in life experience

Or in golf careers.

Hogan, reportedly, may have seen his fathers suicide. He had no money and drove thousands of miles with no food just to earn a few hundred dollars or so from stop to stop. Then, via sheer steel of character and will, he made himself into the best in the world.

Rickie is a fine man and golfer in his own right.

But there is no comparison between them.

#69 cdodom91

cdodom91

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 368939
  • Handicap:3.4
  • Ebay ID:codom01
GolfWRX Likes : 249

Posted 14 April 2018 - 11:30 PM

I see him more as a Payne Stewart!

#70 Guia

Guia

Ancient Dude

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,280 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97501
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 2095

Posted 14 April 2018 - 11:33 PM

I see him more as himself, Rickie.  Why make a comparison???????

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#71 Darth Putter

Darth Putter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,558 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 466932
  • Handicap:10.8
GolfWRX Likes : 3064

Posted 14 April 2018 - 11:39 PM

View Postcdodom91, on 14 April 2018 - 11:30 PM, said:

I see him more as a Payne Stewart!

Could be.

Payne had three wins before age 30 and the nickname of "Avis." The slogan for the car company was "we try harder" as Payne kept finishing second. He won his fourth PGA Tour tournament at age 32, then won his first major the PGA later that year.
swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings

#72 CrownCityBoy

CrownCityBoy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 86798
GolfWRX Likes : 51

Posted 14 April 2018 - 11:59 PM

View Postslimeone, on 12 April 2018 - 02:58 AM, said:

View Postrandywildman, on 08 April 2018 - 11:23 PM, said:

Rickie may be too nice for golf. I like him though and he always has a hottie gf and makes bank and seems to have a great life.

He will win a couple majors before he is done. Phil didn't win one before he turned 34 ?
I'm struggling to think of a sport more suitable for a nice guy.

Perhaps pairs figure skating?

#73 Conrad1953

Conrad1953

Hotel California Escapee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,042 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66402
  • Handicap:9
  • Ebay ID:cobicreations
GolfWRX Likes : 47413

Posted 15 April 2018 - 09:50 PM

According to Butch, Rickie turned a corner at the Master's and he believes a new Rickie has emerged.
Ping G25 10.5 degree w/PL Blue 65S
Ping G15 4 wood w/PL Blue 65S
Ping G10 18 and 21 Hybrids w PL Blue HY S
Ping S58 Irons 4-P with Ping AWT R
Ping Gorge Wedges 52 and 58 w/CFS Wedge  
   Odyssey White Hot Tour #1

Member #3---------Outlaw Golf Association
   Non Physics Geezer Division

#74 youdamantiger

youdamantiger

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151439
  • Handicap:6.8
GolfWRX Likes : 260

Posted 15 April 2018 - 11:12 PM

In Rickie's version of the story he gets hit by an Uber and has to undergo grueling rehabilitation. From that point forward, before every round Rickie has to wrap his legs in bright orange Ace bandages with the Puma logo on them.

#75 1puttTUT

1puttTUT

Lefty with occasional game

• 1,712 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 354761
  • Handicap:3.0
  • Ebay ID:pmtuttle21
GolfWRX Likes : 976

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:01 AM

I don't have a problem with him being happy with 2nd place in a major.  I'm sure he was disappointed he didn't win, but it's more important to be positive and have that extra confidence that you can make a back nine charge when it matters.

As for the Speith and JT thing, I think these are great guys to be friends with since they have had pretty stellar careers thus far.  If Rickie is motivated by beating them and tries his best to do so, I think he will have his fair share of wins and be relevant for a long time.

I think most of the complaining/lamenting of his accomplishments come from his fame relative to his success.  That's just the world we live in now and it's not his fault.  He's just doing the same stuff most of us would do at his age and income.  It also helps that he was signed by Puma when they were a relative newcomer to the golf scene and most of the clothing at the time was pretty lame.  He filled a void and that help propel his fame, but if he wasn't playing well nobody would talk about him.

I'm sure all the same stuff was said about Adam Scott, Brooks Koepka, etc. until they broke through and won a major.  Jason Dufner was probably too fat until he won, but now it's cool.  It's not like these guys completely changed who they were and then won.  Maybe they practiced more, maybe not.  They probably got smarter and more efficient, but I bet they've had the same drive all along and things finally clicked for 72 holes.

I will give Rickie the benefit of the doubt, mostly because of how much I hear that he is a really genuine guy.  That makes him so much easier to root for. I feel like he's one of the few exciting players that would also make a good role model for my son as he is starting to take an interest in golf.

Cobra F8 10.5D w/ Hazardous Yellow
Cobra F7 16* w/ Aldila RIP Beta 80s
Cobra F7 19* w/Aldila NV 2KXV Orange 85s
Titleist 913H 21* w/stock garbage shaft
Titleist 915H 24* w/stock garbage shaft
Cobra forged TEC 6-GW w/ KBS Tour 120s
Titleist Vokey SM6 54*/58* w/ Nippon Modus3 125s
Bettinardi BB8 tour flowneck/TP Mills Trad II roundneck/SC Del Mar Cali

#76 slimeone

slimeone

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 328273
GolfWRX Likes : 741

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:06 AM

View PostConrad1953, on 15 April 2018 - 09:50 PM, said:

According to Butch, Rickie turned a corner at the Master's and he believes a new Rickie has emerged.
I could be wrong but I'm certain this same thread came up after the US Open because Rickie was once again saying he was pleased with his result finishing third or whatever, and that Butch also said he felt Rickie had turned a corner. Does anyone else remember that? Seems like dejavu.

#77 gatorMD

gatorMD

Hacker-in-Chief

• 1,793 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 487980
  • Handicap:2.9
GolfWRX Likes : 1184

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:32 AM

View Posttgreenwood11, on 08 April 2018 - 07:26 PM, said:

Hogan didn't start winning majors until he was in his 30s.

Discuss.

��

https://www.youtube....h?v=QzS8iinDZfQ

well he's got one hell of a game.
Driver: TM M2 Tour AD MT 6TX
3W: TM M2 Tour AD MT 7X
Hybrid: TM M2 3H Blueboard X
Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 4-PW
Wedges: SM6 50F and 54S; SM7 60D
Putter: Piretti Cottonwood II, black
Ball: Titleist AVX

#78 widow-maker

widow-maker

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 309105
  • Handicap:2.7
  • Ebay ID:reiner53brown
GolfWRX Likes : 1566

Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:31 PM

View Post1puttTUT, on 16 April 2018 - 08:01 AM, said:

I don't have a problem with him being happy with 2nd place in a major.  I'm sure he was disappointed he didn't win, but it's more important to be positive and have that extra confidence that you can make a back nine charge when it matters.

As for the Speith and JT thing, I think these are great guys to be friends with since they have had pretty stellar careers thus far.  If Rickie is motivated by beating them and tries his best to do so, I think he will have his fair share of wins and be relevant for a long time.

I think most of the complaining/lamenting of his accomplishments come from his fame relative to his success.  That's just the world we live in now and it's not his fault.  He's just doing the same stuff most of us would do at his age and income.  It also helps that he was signed by Puma when they were a relative newcomer to the golf scene and most of the clothing at the time was pretty lame.  He filled a void and that help propel his fame, but if he wasn't playing well nobody would talk about him.

I'm sure all the same stuff was said about Adam Scott, Brooks Koepka, etc. until they broke through and won a major.  Jason Dufner was probably too fat until he won, but now it's cool.  It's not like these guys completely changed who they were and then won.  Maybe they practiced more, maybe not.  They probably got smarter and more efficient, but I bet they've had the same drive all along and things finally clicked for 72 holes.

I will give Rickie the benefit of the doubt, mostly because of how much I hear that he is a really genuine guy.  That makes him so much easier to root for. I feel like he's one of the few exciting players that would also make a good role model for my son as he is starting to take an interest in golf.
I think most people like Fowler.  The problem comes with the OP trying to compare him to Ben Hogan.  Hogan won 9 majors overall, 7 in a 5 year period and 3 in one year.  Anybody that is going to be compared to Ben Hogan better have a boatload of accomplishments.  Rickie coming close in a few majors isn't going to cut it if the goal is comparing him to Hogan.

#79 Conrad1953

Conrad1953

Hotel California Escapee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,042 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66402
  • Handicap:9
  • Ebay ID:cobicreations
GolfWRX Likes : 47413

Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:55 PM

View Postslimeone, on 16 April 2018 - 11:06 AM, said:

I could be wrong but I'm certain this same thread came up after the US Open because Rickie was once again saying he was pleased with his result finishing third or whatever, and that Butch also said he felt Rickie had turned a corner. Does anyone else remember that? Seems like dejavu.

To put a finer point on it Butch told Hank Haney that Rickie has been losing focus during rounds
and he talked to him about it the Tuesday of Master's week. He said he told him to "tell Joe (his
caddy) what his target is, the shot shape he wants to hit and where he wants it to land....on every
single shot for all 18 holes".

And Butch watched to make sure Ricky was doing it and was discussing every shot with his caddy.

Seems like a simple thing and you'd think at that level guys don't lose focus but they do, for
whatever reasons. We know how Rickie often gets in the hunt and then boom......makes a double
or 2 and takes himself out of the tournament.

Ricky is known and applauded for being a fast player........maybe he's been playing  a little too fast.
I guess we'll see how this expanded preshot routine goes. Jordan discusses every shot with his
caddy (Greller) and gets knocked for being slow.....but he has 3 majors and many other wins
under his belt. Hopefully Rickie will find a happy medium that works for him.

Anyway Butch believes that Rickie has grown tired of congratulating all his friends when they win
majors and is determined to get on the other end of those congratulations. I hope he's right.
Ping G25 10.5 degree w/PL Blue 65S
Ping G15 4 wood w/PL Blue 65S
Ping G10 18 and 21 Hybrids w PL Blue HY S
Ping S58 Irons 4-P with Ping AWT R
Ping Gorge Wedges 52 and 58 w/CFS Wedge  
   Odyssey White Hot Tour #1

Member #3---------Outlaw Golf Association
   Non Physics Geezer Division

#80 slimeone

slimeone

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 328273
GolfWRX Likes : 741

Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:41 PM

View PostConrad1953, on 16 April 2018 - 12:55 PM, said:

View Postslimeone, on 16 April 2018 - 11:06 AM, said:

To put a finer point on it Butch told Hank Haney that Rickie has been losing focus during rounds
and he talked to him about it the Tuesday of Master's week. He said he told him to "tell Joe (his
caddy) what his target is, the shot shape he wants to hit and where he wants it to land....on every
single shot for all 18 holes".

And Butch watched to make sure Ricky was doing it and was discussing every shot with his caddy.

Seems like a simple thing and you'd think at that level guys don't lose focus but they do, for
whatever reasons. We know how Rickie often gets in the hunt and then boom......makes a double
or 2 and takes himself out of the tournament.

Ricky is known and applauded for being a fast player........maybe he's been playing  a little too fast.
I guess we'll see how this expanded preshot routine goes. Jordan discusses every shot with his
caddy (Greller) and gets knocked for being slow.....but he has 3 majors and many other wins
under his belt. Hopefully Rickie will find a happy medium that works for him.

Anyway Butch believes that Rickie has grown tired of congratulating all his friends when they win
majors and is determined to get on the other end of those congratulations. I hope he's right.
He certainly played to win and probably would have if not for Reed's steely resolve. Would have been awesome to see a playoff with Rickie and Jordan but Reed was too good.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#81 Chanceman

Chanceman

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 403162
  • Handicap:19
GolfWRX Likes : 108

Posted 17 April 2018 - 06:20 AM

View PostSean2, on 08 April 2018 - 07:44 PM, said: