Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Best round with the "Worst" Ball

35 replies to this topic

#31 jwb10

jwb10

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21682
  • Handicap:1
GolfWRX Likes : 207

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:17 PM

View PostMuskieCy, on 07 April 2018 - 10:22 PM, said:

Nick Faldo was the first to win a major with a solid core ball, "Nick Faldo used the Bridgestone Precept Double Cover"(SI.com).

Not cheap, just better than anything in 1996.

The Bridgestone Precept and the Maxfli Revolution, played by Greg Norman, were among the first solid core urethane covered balls to be successful on tour. Great balls.

Al Gieberger carded the first 59 on tour with a Top Flight rock.
  i remember the Double Cover; it didn't spin around the greens at all. Norman lost the PGA because of that Spaulding ball that backed up 50 feet ! Geiberger only used the Rock INTO the wind that day

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 Jibbs790

Jibbs790

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 454612
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 17 April 2018 - 12:15 PM

My favorite low end ball was the Top-Flite D2 (double dimple tech). Now that was a golf ball. All my buddies are all cappers, and they play the Pro-V or TP5 but I would poke it past them on a regular basis and then be able to stop it on a turkish dime from 100 and in. Short putts were the only draw back. Double dimples caused it to hop off the face so much I had to de-loft my craz-e to 3.5.

Anyone else experience the same type of performance from this ball? I stocked up on 6 dozen for around $75 awhile back but have made my way through them pretty quickly because some superintendents around me decided to pinch the fairways in. I'm a bomb and gouger, which is why this ball lined up with my game. I know I may catch a little flack for playing Top Flite, but I swear this thing was like cheating.

Anyway I had 86 with this ball and could hit it out there 250-260 at sea level. That's pretty good for me. Anyone have the same experience with the D2 series of balls??

#33 Need2golfalot

Need2golfalot

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 399454
  • Handicap:10.1
GolfWRX Likes : 137

Posted 17 April 2018 - 03:17 PM

4 over par with an orange TF XL.  That's 4 to 6 strokes below handicap.  

I play all the D2's now.  The D2 distance is much softer (less clicky) than the XL and goes long and straight for me.  Gamer and Gamer soft also are in the rotation.

#34 Jibbs790

Jibbs790

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 454612
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 18 April 2018 - 03:47 PM

View PostNeed2golfalot, on 17 April 2018 - 03:17 PM, said:

4 over par with an orange TF XL.  That's 4 to 6 strokes below handicap.  

I play all the D2's now.  The D2 distance is much softer (less clicky) than the XL and goes long and straight for me.  Gamer and Gamer soft also are in the rotation.

@need2golfalot glad someone else is going with the D2, it's a great rock!! I tried the gamer soft last June and was zipping it a little too much. I mean I got some ooh's and ahh's from my buddies but couldn't hold a green and the cap went up a little bit. I think I'll try to play the gamer until I wear down my wedges and then go to the soft once I need that zip back in my bag o' tricks. Thanks for the help and totally agree with the clicky sound on the D2 distance, really the only drawback.

#35 OrangeGravy

OrangeGravy

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 322661
  • Handicap:$$
  • Ebay ID:OrangeGravy
GolfWRX Likes : 358

Posted 19 April 2018 - 07:23 PM

View PostFlyingLaw1, on 15 April 2018 - 07:50 PM, said:

I didn't play an entire round so this doesn't really count... but I played about 7 holes with a Pinnacle Gold Lady Ball. All pars.

Not completely off topic... I was playing a while back and met up another single and we played the last 5 or so holes together. He played every single shot with a reduced flight range ball.... He didn't tell and I didn't ask.

When I was 21 (1995) I worked at par 70 goat track. Played for free and used the best shape range balls I could find and other found balls. Shot a +3/73 with the 2 red stripes range ball. Not even sure what brand it was. Maybe Wilson. Back then they were all the same to me except professionals/balata. I didn't even know limited flight range balls existed, although I don't think these were.

Taylormade Burner Bubble/ S-90 Steel
Sonartec 3.5/YS-6+
Wishon 550 cm 4-p
Cleveland 588 DSG 56*
Cleveland 588 DSG/RTG+ 59*
Odyssey White Hot 6

#36 jesusdelallata

jesusdelallata

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 240837
  • Handicap:10.3
GolfWRX Likes : 43

Posted 20 April 2018 - 03:19 PM

Best score was a +5 with a Nike but I have no idea what model. It was one of the originals and Iím sure it was a crappy 2 piece ball.
Driver - Taylormade M2
3w - Titleist 915F
4h - Titleist 816H
Irons (GW - 4i) - Titleist 716 AP1
Putter - Taylormade Ghost Spider Si
Wedges Titleist  Vokey SM6 55 and 60

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors