Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Smart Phones for Junior Golf(ers)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 CTgolf

CTgolf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124521
GolfWRX Likes : 210

Posted 05 April 2018 - 05:17 AM

Thinking of getting one of the golf club GPS trackers (e.g. Arccos) but it seems that they all require smart phones

This is fine if I am physically with my son when he is playing, but most of the time I won’t be

Which leads to my question: what age is appropriate for kids to be getting their own smart phone?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Belmont148

Belmont148

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 474430
GolfWRX Likes : 600

Posted 05 April 2018 - 06:06 AM

At the age you are willing to leave them by themselves in a public place to take care of themselves.
Current Bag:

G400 SFT 10* Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60TS
F6 Baffler 16.5* Aldila Rogue Black 70 stiff
Ping G25 3H and 4H Stock R Flex
Ping I200 5-UW Project X LZ 5.5
Glide Stealth 54SS and 58ES Project X LZ 5.5
Scotty Studio Stainless Newport 2

#3 CTgolf

CTgolf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124521
GolfWRX Likes : 210

Posted 05 April 2018 - 06:21 AM

View PostBelmont148, on 05 April 2018 - 06:06 AM, said:

At the age you are willing to leave them by themselves in a public place to take care of themselves.

What if they are playing with friends, without adult supervision?

#4 Belmont148

Belmont148

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 474430
GolfWRX Likes : 600

Posted 05 April 2018 - 06:59 AM

The day I start letting my son go around the course with friends and no adults, or start leaving him at the club to practice/play and I come back later to get him, he will have a phone. For me it is probably next fall when he is in 6th grade and 11.5.
Current Bag:

G400 SFT 10* Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60TS
F6 Baffler 16.5* Aldila Rogue Black 70 stiff
Ping G25 3H and 4H Stock R Flex
Ping I200 5-UW Project X LZ 5.5
Glide Stealth 54SS and 58ES Project X LZ 5.5
Scotty Studio Stainless Newport 2

#5 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 2114

Posted 05 April 2018 - 08:46 AM

My son started walking the course with friends at 9 with no adult supervision.  At that time I got him a phone.  With Gators, Snake, and other critters on the course I thought he needed one.  Had the conversation of how to run from a gator.  Had the conversation of pulling a club and beating a critter trying to attack because sometimes you just can't run.

#6 leezer99

leezer99

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 839

Posted 05 April 2018 - 11:27 AM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 05 April 2018 - 08:46 AM, said:

My son started walking the course with friends at 9 with no adult supervision.  At that time I got him a phone.  With Gators, Snake, and other critters on the course I thought he needed one.  Had the conversation of how to run from a gator.  Had the conversation of pulling a club and beating a critter trying to attack because sometimes you just can't run.

Similar situation here but we have rattlesnakes, coyotes, bobcats and the occasional mountain lion.  Got him a prepaid AT&T phone that we can track and he only goes to play with older kids.

#7 darter79

darter79

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66967
GolfWRX Likes : 302

Posted 05 April 2018 - 09:14 PM

this is less about golf and more about the maturity of your child which only you can answer. I can tell you my son has had a smart phone since he was probably 7, one with a number since he was about 10.  Granted it doesn't travel to school but when he goes to friends it does. If he did play golf and he was alone he would take it, but I lean on too early for this. But that really depends on your son and if he can keep up with something as expensive as a smart phone is.

Now on the device you are talking about Game Golf has one that doesn't require a phone which works great, some of those that use the phone if he looks at his phone during the round is against the rules for some organizations.

#8 tiger1873

tiger1873

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 293

Posted 06 April 2018 - 11:13 AM

Both my kids have phones. The main reason is you can track them when they are on the course or really where ever they are. They don't use them much for golf though. One to keep in mind is make sure they keep the phones in their bags during tournaments, As certain apps or websites could be against the rules.

Also be careful about Game golf in a multi-day tournament  I could easily see how that  is interpreted as violation of 14-3a.  Now for one day tournaments I don't see how it is an issue because your data can't be used in during competition.

Edited by tiger1873, 06 April 2018 - 11:14 AM.

#9 darter79

darter79

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66967
GolfWRX Likes : 302

Posted 06 April 2018 - 11:55 AM

View Posttiger1873, on 06 April 2018 - 11:13 AM, said:

Both my kids have phones. The main reason is you can track them when they are on the course or really where ever they are. They don't use them much for golf though. One to keep in mind is make sure they keep the phones in their bags during tournaments, As certain apps or websites could be against the rules.

Also be careful about Game golf in a multi-day tournament  I could easily see how that  is interpreted as violation of 14-3a.  Now for one day tournaments I don't see how it is an issue because your data can't be used in during competition.

As long as you’re not pulling out your phone to look at it they are legal, unless they have a local rule about it

#10 tiger1873

tiger1873

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 293

Posted 06 April 2018 - 02:11 PM

View Postdarter79, on 06 April 2018 - 11:55 AM, said:

As long as you’re not pulling out your phone to look at it they are legal, unless they have a local rule about it

I heard and that if you have a multi-day tournament say 36 holes and you use in round 1 on Saturday then look at it later in the hotel room it would be a big issue because it would violate rule 14-3a.  If you playing 18 holes then there really is not much they can complain about if you do not use your phone.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 2114

Posted 06 April 2018 - 02:18 PM

View Posttiger1873, on 06 April 2018 - 02:11 PM, said:

I heard and that if you have a multi-day tournament say 36 holes and you use in round 1 on Saturday then look at it later in the hotel room it would be a big issue because it would violate rule 14-3a.  If you playing 18 holes then there really is not much they can complain about if you do not use your phone.

You are allowed to use for 36, 54, 72 hole tournaments.  Rule 14-3A has to do with using a listening device while playing.

Rule 14-3

Wearing Headphones or Earplugs During Stipulated Round

Q.May I wear headphones or earplugs while playing in the state amateur?

A.

The use of headphones or earplugs to eliminate noise or other distractions is prohibited under Rule 14-3.

Decision 14-3/16 covers listening to music or some other broadcast during a round. Here is the text of that Decision:

Rule 14-3a states that a player may not use any artificial device or unusual equipment that “might assist him making a stroke or in his play.” Listening to music or a broadcast while making a stroke or for a prolonged period might assist the player in his play, for example, by eliminating distractions or promoting a good tempo. Therefore, the use of an artificial device to listen to music or a broadcast, whether or not through headphones, while making a stroke or for a prolonged period of time during a stipulated round is a breach of Rule 14-3. However, it would not be a breach of Rule 14-3 for a player to listen to a device briefly, for example, to obtain the results of another sporting event or traffic information, while walking between the putting green of one hole and the teeing ground of another hole.

There is no restriction on listening to music or other broadcasts while practicing (whether on the practice ground or on the golf course, and whether by oneself or while playing with others), although club rules and disciplinary codes could apply in such circumstances.

#12 Sean2

Sean2

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 30,077 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 17500

Posted 06 April 2018 - 02:21 PM

I remember a time when if you wanted to make a phone call, and you weren't at home, you had to find a pay phone. :-)
Callaway Rogue
Callaway GBB Epic 16º/20º/24º
Callaway Steelhead XR 25º
Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW
Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54º/58º
Callaway "O" Works #7

#13 iteachgolf

iteachgolf

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,119 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14489
GolfWRX Likes : 7170

Posted 06 April 2018 - 02:28 PM

View Posttiger1873, on 06 April 2018 - 02:11 PM, said:

Wouldn’t be an issue at all.  Do you think PGA Tour players aren’t allowed to look at shotlink after their rounds?  Can look at whatever you want between rounds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors