Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Is it wrong to like a 2 piece ball?


61 replies to this topic

#1 Tanner25

Tanner25

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,085 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46356
  • Joined: 01/18/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 414

Posted 04 April 2018 - 05:15 PM

Through lots of trial and error I have come to realize my favorite balls are two pieces. Such as the Bridgestone Extra Soft, Wilson 50 Elite and I will be testing out the D2 feel. They are generally priced right, lighter feeling, soft, low-mid compression and straight. There's no bite around the greens. But, I find as a higher capper, the roll out works for me. Anyone else going 2 pieces or must we all like 3/4 pieces? ie: Urethane; Snell's, Cuts, CS, TM TP' 5, Srixon Z stars, Bridgestone Tour B's, Provs, Ksig etc.

Edited by Tanner25, 04 April 2018 - 05:19 PM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 Hot Rod 71

Hot Rod 71

    #TheWRX

  • BST Volunteer Mods
  • 8,387 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108037
  • Joined: 05/15/2010
  • Location:RVA
  • Handicap:low
GolfWRX Likes : 6865

Posted 04 April 2018 - 05:18 PM

Nothing wrong with that, at all. If a two-piece fits your game then go with it.
PING G400 LST 10* - Graphite Design Tour AD TP 6X
Titleist 917 F2 15* - Diamana S+ 70X
Callaway Apex Hybrid 19* Hybrid - Diamana S+ 80X
PXG 0311T 4-PW - DGTI AMT S400
Cleveland RTX4 50, 54, 58 - DGTI S400
Yes! Jenny Tour
Snell MTB Black

2

#3 Sean2

Sean2

    #TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 30,077 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Joined: 05/23/2007
  • Location:South of Boston
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 17524

Posted 04 April 2018 - 05:25 PM

Yeah, play what you like and what works best. The scorecard doesn't care what ball you play. :-)
Callaway Rogue
Callaway GBB Epic 16º/20º/24º
Callaway Steelhead XR 25º
Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW
Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54º/58º
Callaway "O" Works #7

3

#4 jesusdelallata

jesusdelallata

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 240837
  • Joined: 03/25/2013
  • Location:Houston
  • Handicap:10.3
GolfWRX Likes : 53

Posted 04 April 2018 - 05:43 PM

My lowest scores ever 76, 77 were with 2 piece balls
Driver - Callaway Rogue
3w - Callaway Rogue
5w - Callaway Rogue
Irons (GW - 4i) - Callaway Rogue
Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport
Wedges Callaway Mack Daddy 4 - 54 and 60 degrees

4

#5 erock9174

erock9174

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,779 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119277
  • Joined: 12/23/2010
  • Location:North Canton, OH
  • Handicap:9.5
GolfWRX Likes : 806

Posted 04 April 2018 - 05:47 PM

I made it to a 9.3 cap last year using the Srixon Soft Feel.  Shot a few rounds in the 70ís with it.  I need a high flight off the driver due to really low spin. So balls like the Soft Feel, Supersoft and Volvik DS55 seem to hang longer in the air for me.

Driver: Taylormade M3 12* FG
Fairway: Ping G400 SFT 5w
Hybrids: Exotics Xrail 23*/26*
Irons: Ping G700 6-UW
Wedges: Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 56*/ 60* / Callaway Sure Out 64*

Putter: Ping Tyne H
Bag: Sun Mountain Four 5

Tracking: Game Golf

5

#6 Konklifer

Konklifer

    Thinkin' of a master plan...

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,354 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7455
  • Joined: 11/07/2005
  • Location:location, location.
GolfWRX Likes : 2203

Posted 04 April 2018 - 08:16 PM

The classic Titleist HP2 Tour was one of the great balls of all time.
PING  G400 Max 10°
PING  G400 16.5°

PING  G400 hybrid 19°
PING  i25 hybrid 22°
Callaway  XHP 5-AW
PING  Glide 2.0 Stealth, 54° SS, 58° ES
Spalding  T.P.M. 3
Snell  MTB Red

6

#7 BogeyParBogey

BogeyParBogey

    Trying to get better...

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481476
  • Joined: 09/10/2017
  • Location:northern IL
  • Handicap:18.4
GolfWRX Likes : 41

Posted 04 April 2018 - 08:45 PM

If it works for you then use it!
Locked for 2019...
Driver: Titleist 917D2 9.5*
Backup tee:  switch out either Titleist 718 T-MB 17* or 816 H1 19*
Hybrids: Titleist 816 H1 23*
Irons: Titleist 716 AP2 4-9
Wedges: Titleist SM6 46*F, 50*F, 54*S, 58*S
Putter: Piretti Forza Patriotic Special Edition
Ball: Top Flite Gamer
Misc:  Clicgear 3.5+ Sun Mountain 2016 C130

7

#8 MarcellusW

MarcellusW

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73090
  • Joined: 01/17/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 04 April 2018 - 08:59 PM

Yes, it's wrong to like 2 piece balls, if they cause your score to go up.

On the other hand, if you like the balls and they suit your game . . . what was the question again?

Arnold Palmer used his putter from off the green instead of chipping
David Toms won the PGA by . . . laying up
Jean van de Velde didn't want to be called a chicken, so he attempted a risky shot before winning losing the British Open.

8

#9 glk23

glk23

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 204261
  • Joined: 09/23/2012
  • Location:Washington State
GolfWRX Likes : 65

Posted 04 April 2018 - 10:00 PM

I play at least 6 months of the year with a 2 piece ball.  Mostly the TF D2 Feel, although I do throw in a couple others from time to time.

9

#10 skraly

skraly

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,331 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2028
  • Joined: 06/27/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 366

Posted 04 April 2018 - 11:22 PM

View PostTanner25, on 04 April 2018 - 05:15 PM, said:

Through lots of trial and error I have come to realize my favorite balls are two pieces. Such as the Bridgestone Extra Soft, Wilson 50 Elite and I will be testing out the D2 feel. They are generally priced right, lighter feeling, soft, low-mid compression and straight. There's no bite around the greens. But, I find as a higher capper, the roll out works for me. Anyone else going 2 pieces or must we all like 3/4 pieces? ie: Urethane; Snell's, Cuts, CS, TM TP' 5, Srixon Z stars, Bridgestone Tour B's, Provs, Ksig etc.
Yes!!!  It’s very, very wrong to like a two piece ball.  Only worthless, disgusting, low lifes like two piece balls.  Please don’t debase yourself this way.  Please think of your family and friends.  They will be shunned in polite society if it gets out that you like two piece balls.  For the love of God!!!  Don’t do it!


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 3sip

3sip

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 184988
  • Joined: 06/08/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 270

Posted 04 April 2018 - 11:25 PM

I'm pretty sure it's not cool too like any balls.

11

#12 1Mordrid1

1Mordrid1

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 494342
  • Joined: 02/22/2018
  • Location:Phoenix
GolfWRX Likes : 265

Posted 05 April 2018 - 12:52 AM

View PostTanner25, on 04 April 2018 - 05:15 PM, said:

Through lots of trial and error I have come to realize my favorite balls are two pieces. Such as the Bridgestone Extra Soft, Wilson 50 Elite and I will be testing out the D2 feel. They are generally priced right, lighter feeling, soft, low-mid compression and straight. There's no bite around the greens. But, I find as a higher capper, the roll out works for me. Anyone else going 2 pieces or must we all like 3/4 pieces? ie: Urethane; Snell's, Cuts, CS, TM TP' 5, Srixon Z stars, Bridgestone Tour B's, Provs, Ksig etc.

Nothing wrong with using what works for you. I know several people that play the Velocity because they love the extra distance from the roll out.
WITB

Callaway Rogue driver w/ Oban Tour Limited 4 60
Taylormade R15 3 wood w/ Kurocage 60 tini s
Nike Sasquatch Sumo #4 hybrid(cut down 1") w/ H Diamana s
Srixon U65 20° Miyazaki Kaula 7 s
Ping G700 5-UW AWT 2.0(1°flat, 2° weak)
Callaway Mack Daddy PM grind 56 /KBS Tour V
Callaway Mack Daddy PM grind 60/KBS Tour V
Scotty Cameron Select Fastback
2018 Chrome Soft X

12

#13 theboypinoy

theboypinoy

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128768
  • Joined: 05/15/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 472

Posted 05 April 2018 - 01:37 AM

Nothing wrong with that :)

If it helps you the most, use it. Why make the game harder? :)

13

#14 elwhippy

elwhippy

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3536
  • Joined: 07/28/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 1241

Posted 05 April 2018 - 02:07 AM

If it works, and you like it, then use it. I use 2 piece balls for at least 6 months of the year as our course gets wet and there is no need for a high end, high spin ball. AD333 is the second best selling ball in the UK and the Soft Feel is also in the top five. 2 piece balls are just as soft as premium ammo, if not softer. And remember Nick Price won majors with an EV Extra Spin, a mid price, two piece ball.

14

#15 xkilgorextroutx

xkilgorextroutx

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 466834
  • Joined: 05/09/2017
  • Location:MA
  • Handicap:19.5
GolfWRX Likes : 125

Posted 05 April 2018 - 06:21 AM

There's nothing wrong with liking anything that works for you, or that you enjoy. Period.


15

#16 sdandrea

sdandrea

    Steve

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 117468
  • Joined: 11/14/2010
  • Location:Fredericksburg, VA & Hernando FL
  • Handicap:11
  • Ebay ID:sdan6017
GolfWRX Likes : 1917

Posted 05 April 2018 - 06:34 AM

If not for the Ksig, I would play a 2 piece ball.  The D2 Feel is my fav and I played it for years before Kirkland.
PING G SF Tec  10*
Pinhawk SL 5W
TM Superfast 5h
PING G400 7-UW  Alta CB
TILLE OMG 52* & 56*
Scotty Fastback

16

#17 Hit 'Em Straight

Hit 'Em Straight

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 480284
  • Joined: 08/27/2017
  • Location:South Jersey (Philly Burbs)
  • Handicap:13
GolfWRX Likes : 974

Posted 05 April 2018 - 06:48 AM

View Posterock9174, on 04 April 2018 - 05:47 PM, said:

I made it to a 9.3 cap last year using the Srixon Soft Feel.  Shot a few rounds in the 70ís with it.  I need a high flight off the driver due to really low spin. So balls like the Soft Feel, Supersoft and Volvik DS55 seem to hang longer in the air for me.

I started using the Srixon Soft Feel over the winter.  I think I'll keep them in play even now that the season has started.  It seems to be a satisfactory ball.  I'm interested to see how it feels and responds once the good weather and good course conditions are here.

17

#18 Golf64

Golf64

    Go Habs Go!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,432 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104067
  • Joined: 02/27/2010
  • Location:Ontario, Canada
  • Handicap:Golf
GolfWRX Likes : 3079

Posted 05 April 2018 - 06:56 AM

Love the feel of 2 piecers, just wish for some green side spin. Looking at Snell for this yr. Looks to be best bang for the buck for a 3 piece urethane ball.
Bag under construction

Super Bowl LII Champions
Fly Eagles Fly

18

#19 NJpatbee

NJpatbee

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 266092
  • Joined: 07/24/2013
  • Location:Ocean County, NJ
  • Handicap:16.3
GolfWRX Likes : 457

Posted 05 April 2018 - 07:41 AM

There are plenty of good performing 2 piece balls that work well for many of us. I get some extra distance from the Softfli and Supersoft and the DT Trusoft is great around the greens.  I am not a high spin low handicap golfer and my lowest score last season with a Softfli.  We are all unique and play what works for your game!


19

#20 jslane57

jslane57

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,091 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 426950
  • Joined: 05/27/2016
  • Handicap:<5
GolfWRX Likes : 2420

Posted 05 April 2018 - 08:19 AM

The modern soft distance two piece ball is very likable. The answer I ask myself is: is it OK to hate the 4 piece tour ball? There are only a couple of shots at my home course that I prefer the tour ball over the distance ball, all the others, including every chip and putt, I prefer a modern soft distance ball...


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#21 Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 482578
  • Joined: 09/23/2017
  • Location:Long Island
GolfWRX Likes : 89

Posted 05 April 2018 - 08:31 AM

I don't know where I read or heard this comment.  But, I thought that it was a good one.  Most mid-high handicappers typically end up short of the pin on their approach shots.  If you're one of these people, why in the world would you want a ball that spins a lot and stops quickly.  Shouldn't you want a ball that rolls out?  If you consistently find yourself past the pin, with your ball mark closer to the pin than your ball end up, then you might want to reconsider.

21

#22 deetsal

deetsal

    deetsal

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 348655
  • Joined: 11/14/2014
  • Location:nj
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 888

Posted 05 April 2018 - 08:44 AM

If it works for then play what fits. The only thing I would say is that these days there is not that much of a cost difference it getting a tour ball such as the MG ball.

22

#23 North Butte

North Butte

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,861 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
  • Joined: 05/09/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 6977

Posted 05 April 2018 - 08:50 AM

To the original question I'd say, if you really like a certain type of ball there couldn't possibly be anything wrong with sticking to it. The grass is NOT always greener on the other side and becoming a golf ball ho' is as crazy as becoming a golf club ho' (I speak from long experience)!

View PostBill Broderick, on 05 April 2018 - 08:31 AM, said:

I don't know where I read or heard this comment.  But, I thought that it was a good one.  Most mid-high handicappers typically end up short of the pin on their approach shots.  If you're one of these people, why in the world would you want a ball that spins a lot and stops quickly.  Shouldn't you want a ball that rolls out?  If you consistently find yourself past the pin, with your ball mark closer to the pin than your ball end up, then you might want to reconsider.

Because there are lakes and bunkers in front of many greens. So of course I want to take an extra club and be sure to clear the water or sand and reach the green.

Guess what happens if I take an extra club with a ball that doesn't spin? Now I'm in the rough over the green, chipping back toward the water or bunker with...wait for it...a ball that doesn't spin!

Sounds like a sucker play to me.

Edited by North Butte, 05 April 2018 - 09:01 AM.

Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.

23

#24 VNutz

VNutz

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,442 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116888
  • Joined: 10/31/2010
  • Location:Chicago Burbs
GolfWRX Likes : 3088

Posted 05 April 2018 - 08:57 AM

Eww, gross.


I kid, I kid. Use what works best for you and your game. Nothing wrong with that at all.

24

#25 Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 482578
  • Joined: 09/23/2017
  • Location:Long Island
GolfWRX Likes : 89

Posted 05 April 2018 - 09:07 AM

View PostNorth Butte, on 05 April 2018 - 08:50 AM, said:

To the original question I'd say, if you really like a certain type of ball there couldn't possibly be anything wrong with sticking to it. The grass is NOT always greener on the other side and becoming a golf ball ho' is as crazy as becoming a golf club ho' (I speak from long experience)!

View PostBill Broderick, on 05 April 2018 - 08:31 AM, said:

I don't know where I read or heard this comment.  But, I thought that it was a good one.  Most mid-high handicappers typically end up short of the pin on their approach shots.  If you're one of these people, why in the world would you want a ball that spins a lot and stops quickly.  Shouldn't you want a ball that rolls out?  If you consistently find yourself past the pin, with your ball mark closer to the pin than your ball end up, then you might want to reconsider.

Because there are lakes and bunkers in front of many greens. So of course I want to take an extra club and be sure to clear the water or sand and reach the green.

Guess what happens if I take an extra club with a ball that doesn't spin? Now I'm in the rough over the green, chipping back toward the water or bunker with...wait for it...a ball that doesn't spin!

Sounds like a sucker play to me.

Hence the "If you consistently find yourself past the pin, with your ball mark closer to the pin than your ball ends up, then you might want to reconsider." part.


25

#26 jslane57

jslane57

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,091 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 426950
  • Joined: 05/27/2016
  • Handicap:<5
GolfWRX Likes : 2420

Posted 05 April 2018 - 09:08 AM

View PostNorth Butte, on 05 April 2018 - 08:50 AM, said:

To the original question I'd say, if you really like a certain type of ball there couldn't possibly be anything wrong with sticking to it. The grass is NOT always greener on the other side and becoming a golf ball ho' is as crazy as becoming a golf club ho' (I speak from long experience)!

View PostBill Broderick, on 05 April 2018 - 08:31 AM, said:

I don't know where I read or heard this comment.  But, I thought that it was a good one.  Most mid-high handicappers typically end up short of the pin on their approach shots.  If you're one of these people, why in the world would you want a ball that spins a lot and stops quickly.  Shouldn't you want a ball that rolls out?  If you consistently find yourself past the pin, with your ball mark closer to the pin than your ball end up, then you might want to reconsider.

Because there are lakes and bunkers in front of many greens. So of course I want to take an extra club and be sure to clear the water or sand and reach the green.

Guess what happens if I take an extra club with a ball that doesn't spin? Now I'm in the rough over the green, chipping back toward the water or bunker with...wait for it...a ball that doesn't spin!

Sounds like a sucker play to me.
Haha. Justifying spending more money. It used to be said that one should pay for the ball at the level of their golf game. With only the best players paying top dollar for a golf ball. Kudos to slick marketing to change that around and convince the average golfer that they will truly benefit from an expensive golf ball...and jacked iron lofts...and an expensive rangefinder with slope...and the list goes on. But like said, if you can afford it, why not?

26

#27 North Butte

North Butte

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,861 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
  • Joined: 05/09/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 6977

Posted 05 April 2018 - 09:09 AM

View PostBill Broderick, on 05 April 2018 - 09:07 AM, said:

View PostNorth Butte, on 05 April 2018 - 08:50 AM, said:

To the original question I'd say, if you really like a certain type of ball there couldn't possibly be anything wrong with sticking to it. The grass is NOT always greener on the other side and becoming a golf ball ho' is as crazy as becoming a golf club ho' (I speak from long experience)!

View PostBill Broderick, on 05 April 2018 - 08:31 AM, said:

I don't know where I read or heard this comment.  But, I thought that it was a good one.  Most mid-high handicappers typically end up short of the pin on their approach shots.  If you're one of these people, why in the world would you want a ball that spins a lot and stops quickly.  Shouldn't you want a ball that rolls out?  If you consistently find yourself past the pin, with your ball mark closer to the pin than your ball end up, then you might want to reconsider.

Because there are lakes and bunkers in front of many greens. So of course I want to take an extra club and be sure to clear the water or sand and reach the green.

Guess what happens if I take an extra club with a ball that doesn't spin? Now I'm in the rough over the green, chipping back toward the water or bunker with...wait for it...a ball that doesn't spin!

Sounds like a sucker play to me.

Hence the "If you consistently find yourself past the pin, with your ball mark closer to the pin than your ball ends up, then you might want to reconsider." part.

If you'd seen my game lately, you'd say something more like "If you consistently find your ball..." which I often can not do!
Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.

27

#28 tbowles411

tbowles411

    So this just happened! We can barely believe it!

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 24,435 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5624
  • Joined: 08/30/2005
  • Location:Northern Virginia (One day I hope to be a Texan!)
  • Handicap:Golf
GolfWRX Likes : 6406

Posted 05 April 2018 - 09:15 AM

View PostTanner25, on 04 April 2018 - 05:15 PM, said:

Through lots of trial and error I have come to realize my favorite balls are two pieces. Such as the Bridgestone Extra Soft, Wilson 50 Elite and I will be testing out the D2 feel. They are generally priced right, lighter feeling, soft, low-mid compression and straight. There's no bite around the greens. But, I find as a higher capper, the roll out works for me. Anyone else going 2 pieces or must we all like 3/4 pieces? ie: Urethane; Snell's, Cuts, CS, TM TP' 5, Srixon Z stars, Bridgestone Tour B's, Provs, Ksig etc.
Why would you care what anyone thinks?  Use the ball you like.
PING G Driver
PING G Fairway 3 Wood
PING G Hybrids (3, 4)
PING G Irons (5-UW)
PING Glide 2.0 (54SS, 58WS)
PING Vault 2.0 Craz-E
Ball: Titelist AVX

28

#29 Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 482578
  • Joined: 09/23/2017
  • Location:Long Island
GolfWRX Likes : 89

Posted 05 April 2018 - 09:29 AM

View PostNorth Butte, on 05 April 2018 - 09:09 AM, said:

View PostBill Broderick, on 05 April 2018 - 09:07 AM, said:

View PostNorth Butte, on 05 April 2018 - 08:50 AM, said:

To the original question I'd say, if you really like a certain type of ball there couldn't possibly be anything wrong with sticking to it. The grass is NOT always greener on the other side and becoming a golf ball ho' is as crazy as becoming a golf club ho' (I speak from long experience)!

View PostBill Broderick, on 05 April 2018 - 08:31 AM, said:

I don't know where I read or heard this comment.  But, I thought that it was a good one.  Most mid-high handicappers typically end up short of the pin on their approach shots.  If you're one of these people, why in the world would you want a ball that spins a lot and stops quickly.  Shouldn't you want a ball that rolls out?  If you consistently find yourself past the pin, with your ball mark closer to the pin than your ball end up, then you might want to reconsider.

Because there are lakes and bunkers in front of many greens. So of course I want to take an extra club and be sure to clear the water or sand and reach the green.

Guess what happens if I take an extra club with a ball that doesn't spin? Now I'm in the rough over the green, chipping back toward the water or bunker with...wait for it...a ball that doesn't spin!

Sounds like a sucker play to me.

Hence the "If you consistently find yourself past the pin, with your ball mark closer to the pin than your ball ends up, then you might want to reconsider." part.

If you'd seen my game lately, you'd say something more like "If you consistently find your ball..." which I often can not do!

I feel your pain.  At the same time, since 2-piece balls are typically less expensive than 3 or 4-piece balls, losing 2-piece balls can be less painful from a financial standpoint.

29

#30 North Butte

North Butte

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,861 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
  • Joined: 05/09/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 6977

Posted 05 April 2018 - 09:39 AM

View PostBill Broderick, on 05 April 2018 - 09:29 AM, said:

View PostNorth Butte, on 05 April 2018 - 09:09 AM, said:

View PostBill Broderick, on 05 April 2018 - 09:07 AM, said:

View PostNorth Butte, on 05 April 2018 - 08:50 AM, said:

To the original question I'd say, if you really like a certain type of ball there couldn't possibly be anything wrong with sticking to it. The grass is NOT always greener on the other side and becoming a golf ball ho' is as crazy as becoming a golf club ho' (I speak from long experience)!

View PostBill Broderick, on 05 April 2018 - 08:31 AM, said:

I don't know where I read or heard this comment.  But, I thought that it was a good one.  Most mid-high handicappers typically end up short of the pin on their approach shots.  If you're one of these people, why in the world would you want a ball that spins a lot and stops quickly.  Shouldn't you want a ball that rolls out?  If you consistently find yourself past the pin, with your ball mark closer to the pin than your ball end up, then you might want to reconsider.

Because there are lakes and bunkers in front of many greens. So of course I want to take an extra club and be sure to clear the water or sand and reach the green.

Guess what happens if I take an extra club with a ball that doesn't spin? Now I'm in the rough over the green, chipping back toward the water or bunker with...wait for it...a ball that doesn't spin!

Sounds like a sucker play to me.

Hence the "If you consistently find yourself past the pin, with your ball mark closer to the pin than your ball ends up, then you might want to reconsider." part.

If you'd seen my game lately, you'd say something more like "If you consistently find your ball..." which I often can not do!

I feel your pain.  At the same time, since 2-piece balls are typically less expensive than 3 or 4-piece balls, losing 2-piece balls can be less painful from a financial standpoint.

My long-term average is about one ball lost per 27 holes. I play on a course where there's no OB in play and most of the water hazards are fairly easy to avoid (if you're willing to lay up when necessary to a safe part of the hole). So I don't worry about paying three or four bucks for a ball.

But every now and then things get going sideways and I can blow through 20 bucks worth of golf balls in one round. I guess it all averages out but man, that's hard to take!

Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors