Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

What does fcm 5.5 mean?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 My better is better

My better is better

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52848
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 30 April 2008 - 08:02 AM

I saw this on an iron shaft.  Just curious if that means it is a rifle shaft and if so, which one.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 villa

villa

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,795 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9942
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 30 April 2008 - 08:08 AM

That's the original Brunswick Precision shaft before they designed the Rifle. They've got steps but noticably wider than say, Dynamic Gold's.

Very penetrating ball flight. Still used on Tour by a handful of players and I believe Geoff Ogilvy was using them until this year. Which iron did you see them on?

5.5 is just the flex, the same system is used today. FCM stands for frequency coefficient matched. No, I don't really know what that means either. I presume it's similar to their 'flighted' range.

Edited by villa, 30 April 2008 - 08:09 AM.

#3 My better is better

My better is better

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52848

Posted 30 April 2008 - 09:20 AM

Cobra SS-i irons.  Says precision fcm 5.5.  Are those good shafts?  What are they comparable to?

#4 golfbum9

golfbum9

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,889 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28133
GolfWRX Likes : 41

Posted 30 April 2008 - 09:39 AM

From what I was told in the past when I played Brunswick FCM's was that it stood for "frequency calibration matched" iirc.

I believe that the employee's bought Brunswick and changed the name to Royal Precision but I may be wrong.

Hope this helps.  ;)

Great shafts though  imo

#5 villa

villa

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,795 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2008 - 10:18 AM

Just been buried in my garage trying to find an old set of irons with these shafts. Found a set of X-12 Pro-Series with 6.5's. For those in the know, some of them have even got that little red shaft band right at the top of the shaft as well. That's right, I used to be good.  

The top of the shaft band says 'frequency coefficient matched by electronic calibration'. The middle (the big gold bit) says Precision FCM 6.5 and the bottom says Brunswick Golf.

They used to be very popular, particularly in Europe. The problem with buying old steel shafts is that they have a tendency to stiffen up over time. If the shop has a range facility, give them a go. As I say, they promote a very penetrating flight (lower than X100's if memory serves me well). Probably why I had them in a set of Callaway's!

#6 golfbum9

golfbum9

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,889 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2008 - 10:32 AM

View Postvilla, on Apr 30 2008, 10:18 AM, said:

Just been buried in my garage trying to find an old set of irons with these shafts. Found a set of X-12 Pro-Series with 6.5's. For those in the know, some of them have even got that little red shaft band right at the top of the shaft as well. That's right, I used to be good.  

The top of the shaft band says 'frequency coefficient matched by electronic calibration'. The middle (the big gold bit) says Precision FCM 6.5 and the bottom says Brunswick Golf.

They used to be very popular, particularly in Europe. The problem with buying old steel shafts is that they have a tendency to stiffen up over time. If the shop has a range facility, give them a go. As I say, they promote a very penetrating flight (lower than X100's if memory serves me well). Probably why I had them in a set of Callaway's!
Thanks villa I guess I was close. ;)

I used to play 6.5's (Brunswick) too and iirc, they weren't as stiff as the 6.5 of today let alone 6.0 fwiw jmo

#7 villa

villa

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,795 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2008 - 11:09 AM

View PostCiotog99, on Apr 30 2008, 10:32 AM, said:

Thanks villa I guess I was close. ;)

I used to play 6.5's (Brunswick) too and iirc, they weren't as stiff as the 6.5 of today let alone 6.0 fwiw jmo
It's been a good few years since I've used these so shafts so I actually can't remember. You could well be right. I think Geoff Ogilvy used 7.3 in his. He was using them when he won the U.S Open a couple of years ago.

I just remember them having a very flat trajectory. Perfect in the wind but not so great if you're hitting a 4 iron into a green with trouble at the back.

#8 golfbum9

golfbum9

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,889 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2008 - 11:20 AM

They're definately a very stable and consistant shaft as I recall. of course jmo and others mmv ;)

#9 divot46

divot46

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 552

Posted 30 April 2008 - 03:58 PM

If the shaft is stepless with that band , they are Rifles. TM used them on their 300 forged as well.

#10 villa

villa

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,795 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2008 - 03:25 AM

View Postdivot46, on Apr 30 2008, 03:58 PM, said:

If the shaft is stepless with that band , they are Rifles. TM used them on their 300 forged as well.
That's very true.

I presumed my better is better wasn't talking about this shaft because the shaft band says Rifle in big letters on it. It only says FCM and the flex in small letters at the top.

The older shaft had FCM and the flex in big letters on the shaft band.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors