Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

How do you address scoring issues?

35 replies to this topic

#31 DavePelz4

DavePelz4

Legend

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 22,932 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69051
GolfWRX Likes : 23898

Posted 03 April 2018 - 09:09 AM

Geez, I'm glad it was OK for my kids to lose in sports and learn something.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 jslane57

jslane57

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,918 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 426950
  • Handicap:<5
GolfWRX Likes : 2322

Posted 03 April 2018 - 09:14 AM

View PostDavePelz4, on 03 April 2018 - 09:09 AM, said:

Yes, this thread is starting to show the ugly side of junior sports for sure. If your kids love the game, let them play. So what if they don't win, if winning is what is important to them, guess what, they will practice all on their own and figure out a way. If they don't, pressing them or telling them that they had second in the bag except for "the cheater" stole it from them is a sure way to get them to hate the sport from moment one...
'Gaps' are a delusion of the hopelessly anal. - Petunia Sprinkle

#33 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,465 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 2008

Posted 03 April 2018 - 09:20 AM

View Postjslane57, on 03 April 2018 - 09:14 AM, said:

Yes, this thread is starting to show the ugly side of junior sports for sure. If your kids love the game, let them play. So what if they don't win, if winning is what is important to them, guess what, they will practice all on their own and figure out a way. If they don't, pressing them or telling them that they had second in the bag except for "the cheater" stole it from them is a sure way to get them to hate the sport from moment one...

Huh?  This post really confuses me.

#34 bwbw

bwbw

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 470266
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 03 April 2018 - 09:30 AM

I flat out looked at my daughter and told her that she had moments to beat her regardless.  It put it on my daughter to improve, not blame the circumstances around her losing.  Maybe that's the wrong attitude, but I want her to learn from losing.

#35 tiger1873

tiger1873

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 259

Posted 03 April 2018 - 10:31 AM

This post confuses me as well.  

A big thing in tournament golf is making sure scores are accurate of your competitors.  You really can only control your group. You also need to know it does go on and recognize that someone could be cheating when you see it.

For instance  if you see a 9 year old scores 72 from 5400 yard course and they can barely drive 160 yards. It obvious that something doesn't make sense. I also notice the worst cheaters never have a bad day and always score the same no matter what the course is or the conditions. It's always amazes me how you can still score 80 in when it's 45 degrees and raining and the rest of the field is above 100.  

Once your recognize the patterns it makes much easier evaluate your kids progress and let them work on things they need to improve their game.

Edited by tiger1873, 03 April 2018 - 10:35 AM.

#36 byerxa

byerxa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 451568
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 06 April 2018 - 07:26 AM

My daughter has been fairly lucky in that almost always the girls she has played with have been good with their scores.  There was one instance to the contrary when she was 15 and in her 2nd year of playing.  I go to pick her up from the first round of a weekend local tournament and she comes out of the scoring tent upset.  They were playing in threesomes and keeping each others scores. Apparently the girl keeping her score continually wrote down a higher score for my kid because the kid's mom told her the score to write down AFTER my kid told her what the score was.  After my initial WTF reaction I asked my kid if she handed in the score she believed was correct and she said yes, she made sure it was correct. As my kid was telling me this the 3rd girl in their group (who was a couple of years older, had more tournament experience, and a nice kid) came storming out of the scoring tent with that intense stink eye look only teenage girls can produce when they are severely PO'd (which quite frankly frightened me somewhat :) ).  She was marking the crazy mom girl's score and was furious the mom was intervening as apparently the mom keep saying her kid was scoring a lot less than she actually was.  So PO'd girl gets to the guy running the tournament and starts blasting him about crazy mom.  Poor dude has the deer in the headlights look but realizes immediately what is going on because apparently this mom is known.  Then he sees my kid upset and immediately comes to talk to her.  He was apologetic and asked "did you sign the score you thought was correct" to which the answer was yes.  He said "good, this is not your fault and we will deal with it" which they did (the mom was eventually banned from local tournaments).

Once my kid settled down it gave us an excellent opportunity to discuss dealing with crap like this.  The rules explicitly say parents must not interact with the kids and stay at least 50 yards away.  Exceptions are safety related, e.g., nagging your kid to drink their fluids/eat. So the I told my kid if she gets another parent like this you pull out your range finder and very obviously use it to check to see how far away they are.  You keep telling them to move away until they are at least 50 yards away.  And of course if the parent does not comply you get the rules official.  And for scoring you nicely but firmly make sure you and your marker are in agreement with your score and you and the kid you are marking are in agreement with their score.  It was a good lesson for her to hold her ground in this area.  Fortunately as mentioned she has rarely had to deal with blatant cheating and the odd time a correction was required it usually was an honest counting mistake.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors