Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Over the Top vs Coming from the Inside

53 replies to this topic

#1 Teekman

Teekman

University of Texas Tennis Alumni

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 215429
  • Handicap:0
  • Ebay ID:riechmann1993
GolfWRX Likes : 93

Posted 31 March 2018 - 11:36 AM

Is there any statistics on this for the average golfer? Was watching this guy give his friend tips on his swing mainly focusing on his finish ... When the main reason for his distance loss was his major over the top move ... Didn't want to say anything cause the dudes were way older but honestly why is the over the top move so prevalent in amateurs?

Callaway Rogue SZ 9.0 AD-DI 8TX
Callaway XR 16 AD DI 8TX
Titleist 818H2 19 HZRDUS Black 105 6.5
Callaway Epic 4 HZRDUS Black 105 6.5
Fourteen FH900 5-9 DG TI X7
Raw SM7 DG Onyx S400 46
Fourteen RM-22 Raw DG Onyx S400 51/57
Callaway PM 64 DG Onyx S400
Scotty Cameron Timeless SSS 350g 34''

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Justsomeguy

Justsomeguy

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 412064
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 269

Posted 31 March 2018 - 10:39 PM

Bad takeaway, bc of the illusion that you need an upright pendulum, which finishes over the lead shoulder. I recall the same flawed assumption from the beginning.
In other words, no sense of d-plane.
Titleist 915D3 9.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60, R, @10.25*
Titleist 915F 15* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
Titleist 915H 20* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
Titleist 716 AP1 4-W52, Kuro Kage Tini 65, S
Cleveland CBX, 56*/12, Rotex Graphite Wedge Flex
Cleveland Smart Square Blade

#3 QEight

QEight

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,231 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129410
  • Handicap:11,1
GolfWRX Likes : 942

Posted 31 March 2018 - 11:12 PM

From watching too much DJ?
Ping G15 Titleist 950R Titleist 910D2
Titleist 910f 3W
Callaway XHot hybrid
Titleist 735cm
Vokey wedges
Odyssey Works Versa #1 Tank Tri-Ball SRT

#4 MPStrat

MPStrat

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 321019
GolfWRX Likes : 349

Posted 01 April 2018 - 12:50 AM

Inside takeaway doesn’t guarantee OTT, but it usuallly does if the inside takeaway includes rolling the face open. Beginners tend to roll the face open and then use the path to get the face pointed somewhere functional. They tip the club OTT to get the face square.

#5 argee1977

argee1977

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 401588
GolfWRX Likes : 61

Posted 01 April 2018 - 01:56 AM

From what i've seen the takeaway or backswing doesn't really matter, it's the first move on the downswing, i say that instead of transition because that is what is missing most of the time, they get to the top, stop, then start down with the shoulders.

I play with a lot of guys like this, and to be fair, for a fair few of them they get round the course no problem, but they do suffer when chipping, not sure why this is though, always puzzled me as they've compensated for every other type of shot?

#6 Kenny Lee Puckett

Kenny Lee Puckett

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 379660
GolfWRX Likes : 2908

Posted 01 April 2018 - 03:38 AM

View PostTeekman, on 31 March 2018 - 11:36 AM, said:

why is the over the top move so prevalent in amateurs?
two planes in a two plane swing, original shaft plane and secondary shoulder plane (position at the top). weekend duffers can swing whatever way to the top they want, but once they've moved the club up on their secondary shoulder plane they deliver it (start the downswing) from there up and over their original shaft plane. they never move the club back down towards the original shaft plane. I mean honest to god it's somewhat of a miracle they ever hit anything ever when they're swinging the club back on a plane so incredibly high above where the ball is sitting on the ground.
https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be  video on course practice 5/2016

Ping G LST: Ping Tour 80
Ping Anser 4wd: Accra S3-80 RT
PXG 0317 Hybrid: Fujikura 8D07HB

Ping S55 4-PW: Dynamic Gold Tour Issue
Ping Glide 2.0  50/54/58 SS: DG Tour Issue
Ping ZING 2

Ping 703 +3 wraps/Pingman putter grip
Ping Sensor glove/Srixon 2017 Z-Star XV
Ping Hoofer 2016 bag

#7 OakLawnGolfPro

OakLawnGolfPro

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 486006
  • Ebay ID:scottwhogan
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 01 April 2018 - 04:19 AM

Bad concepts of how it really works to hit the ball.  Bad/misunderstood concepts of motion and how to direct energy into an object that is several feet away from the center of our bodies mass.

#8 Sean2

Sean2

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 30,077 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 17492

Posted 01 April 2018 - 05:40 AM

Another reason I think it is because many folks have a hit impulse, so they swing with their shoulders, arms, hands, which keeps the club from dropping into the slot.

I see the golf swing as more rotational than an actual "swing". When I hear the word swing I think of engaging my arms and hands, like with a baseball bat, or an ax. I would say the golf swing is actually a rotational force that our arms and hands respond to. You rotate back in the takeaway, and rotate through in the forward motion, keeping the arms and hands passive, letting them go along for the ride.

If you look at the finish of the golf professional, he is facing the target. He has fully rotated through the shot. Many amateurs hit at the ball and never come to a complete finish. I would hazard a guess that the only way one can come to a full finish is by rotating completely through the shot. Even short pitch shots.

Just my opinion though.
Callaway Rogue
Callaway GBB Epic 16º/20º/24º
Callaway Steelhead XR 25º
Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW
Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54º/58º
Callaway "O" Works #7

#9 hack2489

hack2489

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 459550
  • Handicap:16
GolfWRX Likes : 51

Posted 01 April 2018 - 06:00 AM

As one inflicted with a natural tendency to come OTT, I believe the causes are as outlined by a couple of responses above:

- trying to 'hit' the ball
- not knowing the swing dynamic
- using the shoulders to start downswing

A huge "ah ha" moment for me was reading Dante's 'four magic moves' and trying the movement drill to get the club back to the ball by ONLY rotating the hips.

Personally I think every beginner should be shown, taught, explained that one drill, motion, move.

Also, reading and understanding the link with the error of trying to "hit" from the top, and how that engages the shoulders too early.

I've suggested to a several people I've seen at the range, people who are obviously new and learning, that they should have a read of four magic moves. I've seen a few of them weeks, months later and have received feedback that they got a lot from it including the "hit' action issues.

Edited by hack2489, 01 April 2018 - 06:01 AM.

#10 hack2489

hack2489

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2018 - 06:04 AM

View PostOakLawnGolfPro, on 01 April 2018 - 04:19 AM, said:

Bad concepts of how it really works to hit the ball.  Bad/misunderstood concepts of motion and how to direct energy into an object that is several feet away from the center of our bodies mass.

What are the correct concept(s)?

This is a serious and genuine question from someone wanting learn and understand.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 hack2489

hack2489

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2018 - 06:06 AM

View PostKenny Lee Puckett, on 01 April 2018 - 03:38 AM, said:

two planes in a two plane swing, original shaft plane and secondary shoulder plane (position at the top). weekend duffers can swing whatever way to the top they want, but once they've moved the club up on their secondary shoulder plane they deliver it (start the downswing) from there up and over their original shaft plane. they never move the club back down towards the original shaft plane. I mean honest to god it's somewhat of a miracle they ever hit anything ever when they're swinging the club back on a plane so incredibly high above where the ball is sitting on the ground.

So, what causes these 'plane' errors?

Serious, genuine question. I'm trying to learn and understand the dynamics of the golf swing.

#12 crazygolfnut

crazygolfnut

CrazyGolfNut

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3580
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 80

Posted 01 April 2018 - 06:20 AM

I am watching this topic and I want to know. Always looking for good information.

Edited by crazygolfnut, 01 April 2018 - 02:00 PM.

• Driver: ___  Ping G400 Max
  • Woods: ___ Ping G30 3 & 5 wood
  • Hybrid: ___ Titleist 818H1 21* & 25*
  • Irons: ____  Titleist 718 AP1 6-W
  • Wedges: __ Titleist Vokey SM6 52F, 56M
  • Putter: ____ Rife Two Bar Hybrid or Mid Mallet 400
  • Ball: ______ Snell MTB Red Yellow
  • Bag: ______ Datrek Lite Rider
  • GPS: _____ Bushnell NEO Ghost
  • GHIN: ____  HCP floats between 10 and 12
“Never bet against an old man with old clubs that have new grips”

#13 DonMega884

DonMega884

Callawaychrome

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 190262
GolfWRX Likes : 145

Posted 01 April 2018 - 06:38 AM

Your body’s instinct is to go right after the ball once your loaded up in the back swing. You have to fight the urge to fire too early. Bump, dump, and turn and burn. Once you can control your natural reaction you’ll hit the ball a lot better. Keeping perfect balance is probably the most important thing I work on. It all starts with a solid base. Fred Couples said once his arms get into the “slot” he goes at it with everything he has. With his good balance, and correct body sequence it just looks so effortless.

#14 games

games

Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they are yours.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 248161
GolfWRX Likes : 683

Posted 01 April 2018 - 08:15 AM

I think OTT is prevalent among weekend golfers for two reasons:

1. Golfers who don't take lessons and are out of shape use their natural swing.  Their bodies don't leave room to swing naturally inside-out.

2. Many don't know the correct sequence.  Someone alluded to Monte's "Bump, Dump, and Turn" (and added "Burn" which I liked).  Just a simple phrase to properly order the sequence can help.  For those who need physical queues, the notion of keeping your back to the target until after starting the downswing can help.
They who are enamoured of practice
without knowledge are like the mariner
going to sea without a rudder or compass
and who navigates without a course.

#15 Billy Baroo

Billy Baroo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 435758
  • Handicap:1.2
GolfWRX Likes : 81

Posted 01 April 2018 - 01:45 PM

What about Parallax error?

When a right handed golfer addresses the ball, the target will look left of where it really is. So if instructed to swing at the target, the golfer will inadvertently swing over the top.

Maybe.....Yessir!

#16 Kenny Lee Puckett

Kenny Lee Puckett

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2018 - 02:30 PM

View Posthack2489, on 01 April 2018 - 06:06 AM, said:

Serious, genuine question. I'm trying to learn and understand the dynamics of the golf swing.
Posted Image

i always have believed it is a bit of anatomical confusion (unwittingly causing poor motion) by most players. in a two plane swing you put the club in two varying positions between the start and top of the back swing. bottom blue line = shaft plane (where the club starts at address). top blue line = shoulder plane (or basically where the club will end up in one form or another at the top of the back swing).... now, once you complete the back swing imagine if you start by throwing/swinging of that left arm and club back down the top blue line (you are over the top, heck look at it, you are actually swinging the club at an aiming point completely above the ground). this is what majority of amateurs do. they do not move/drop the left arm and therefore the golf club back down towards the bottom blue line (the original shaft plane established at address). and I believe this is completely understandable because if you have the club up on that higher plane, it is 100% natural to now swing from there out towards the ball. nothing feels easy or natural about dropping the left arm and the club all the way back down towards the shaft plane. it's an oversight and miscalculation in most players golf swings.

Ping ZING 2

Ping Hoofer 2016 bag

#17 Kenny Lee Puckett

Kenny Lee Puckett

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2018 - 02:36 PM

now, from the top of the back swing visualize how the Mc's left arm/club drops/is dropping back down towards his shaft plane. he is trying to get back down to where the club started at address...Posted Image

Edited by Kenny Lee Puckett, 01 April 2018 - 02:39 PM.

Ping ZING 2

Ping Hoofer 2016 bag

#18 Whiskey_fire

Whiskey_fire

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113617
GolfWRX Likes : 239

Posted 01 April 2018 - 02:46 PM

I had to really FEEL like I was dropping the club/ pulling the handle in the downswing when I was curing the ott.  Just be careful because now my miss is coming too much from the inside and having a closed face.
917, Rouge 125 tour x
RBZ Stage 2, Rip Alpha 70x
Titleist AP2 3-pw, Project X
Titleist Vokey 52,56, Project X
Taylormade HI TOE 60, black kbs $taper
Spider tour Black

#19 Petunia Sprinkle

Petunia Sprinkle

Future King of France

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,407 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 397380
GolfWRX Likes : 4581

Posted 01 April 2018 - 04:25 PM

When they’re first starting up, beginners probably make the mistake of watching too many videos of Bobby Jones, Sam Snead, Julius Boros, George Knudson, Roberto Divincenzo, Arnold Palmer, Ray Floyd, Craig Stadler and Bruce Lietzsche swings.

#20 hack2489

hack2489

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2018 - 04:32 PM

View PostKenny Lee Puckett, on 01 April 2018 - 02:30 PM, said:

View Posthack2489, on 01 April 2018 - 06:06 AM, said:

Posted Image

i always have believed it is a bit of anatomical confusion (unwittingly causing poor motion) by most players. in a two plane swing you put the club in two varying positions between the start and top of the back swing. bottom blue line = shaft plane (where the club starts at address). top blue line = shoulder plane (or basically where the club will end up in one form or another at the top of the back swing).... now, once you complete the back swing imagine if you start by throwing/swinging of that left arm and club back down the top blue line (you are over the top, heck look at it, you are actually swinging the club at an aiming point completely above the ground). this is what majority of amateurs do. they do not move/drop the left arm and therefore the golf club back down towards the bottom blue line (the original shaft plane established at address). and I believe this is completely understandable because if you have the club up on that higher plane, it is 100% natural to now swing from there out towards the ball. nothing feels easy or natural about dropping the left arm and the club all the way back down towards the shaft plane. it's an oversight and miscalculation in most players golf swings.

Great. Thanks.

But, I'm still lost as to what causes the OTT.

Your explanation tells me what is happening, not what the bio mechanical cause is.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 hack2489

hack2489

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2018 - 04:34 PM

View PostKenny Lee Puckett, on 01 April 2018 - 02:36 PM, said:

now, from the top of the back swing visualize how the Mc's left arm/club drops/is dropping back down towards his shaft plane. he is trying to get back down to where the club started at address...Posted Image

Thanks.

How do you make this move? What's the bio mechanical move, feel, technique?

I can see it, and understand what you've explained, but, don't know what the actual swing move, transition move, technique, is that makes it happen.

Can you explain that?

#22 rteach1

rteach1

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45072
GolfWRX Likes : 117

Posted 01 April 2018 - 05:15 PM

In my opinion, the main cause of OTT among beginners/hackers lies in the brain, not in biomechanical errors.  From my experience, it simply seemed natural to get the club to the target line first, i.e. OTT  and then to move the club forward. I simply had the wrong conception of the most efficient way to swing.  I believe, from personal experience, that this problem doesn't get fixed until the erroneous picture gets replaced with the correct image in your brain.  The brain will send the proper impulses to your muscles if you re-program your intent.

Having said the above, I do agree with the posters who stated that you are much more likely to be OTT if you
1. have an open face at the top, often caused by sucking the clubhead inside too much and/or
2. snatch the club from the top (hit Impulse).

I have slowly gotten better by working on being much more aware of whether or not I am snatching the club from the top during practice sessions as well as becoming more aware of my intent when I swing (aiming to the right of a stick that I place in the ground when practicing).  My previous intent was always to swing out of my shoes, period.

Finally, I have found that it helps to ask myself, "did I have the "good loop?" with the downswing below the backswing, or the "bad loop" aka the OTT chop. I'm not "cured," but I think that things are better.

#23 Petunia Sprinkle

Petunia Sprinkle

Future King of France

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,407 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 397380
GolfWRX Likes : 4581

Posted 01 April 2018 - 05:56 PM

Most people I’ve seen starting out hit a straight push (they start with the face pointing at the target, take it back, and because most of them instinctively shift their weight like in any other sport they’ve ever played, the club stays open when they hit the ball), so they try to solve it by trying to hit it lefter.

Edited by Petunia Sprinkle, 02 April 2018 - 07:18 AM.

#24 jurr80

jurr80

Working daily towards scratch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 215129
  • Handicap:10.7
GolfWRX Likes : 487

Posted 01 April 2018 - 06:49 PM

Interesting stuff.

From the top, you’re looking down at a golf ball, and your arms are over your shoulder. This is a mental “screw job”. Your brain wants to get the hammer on the nail. You want to see (control) this process. In reality, getting weight to the front leg is going to start opening up your core to swing through, and your hands (and shaft) are going to naturally trail your opening chest. Eventually, it all catches up, but you can’t control that at speed.

Kids typically get this easier because the club weighs so much for them. They just have to move the body to get that heavy object around them.

But, that moment from the top is the problem. You initially don’t trust that hands behind you (even if they’re in front of your chest) are going to get down to the golf ball without your help and control. That’s why someone holding the shaft at the top behind you while you start the downswing can be so helpful. It just helps open the mental image that “those arms don’t do anything to start the trip down.”

Obviously other concepts play into all of it. Did you make a body turn or did you just start your backswing with flopping your arms behind you? Is your grip a disaster? Is your setup a mess?

But even with good fundamentals, the mental image from the top can still throw the entire thing out of whack. You can’t direct that club to the ball and hope to have any true speed or control. You’ll always have some degree of pulling down/steepening/OTT.

The correct sequence is exactly the opposite of what makes intuitive sense. Ben Hogan was right on with that statement in Five Lessons.

#25 DonMega884

DonMega884

Callawaychrome

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 190262
GolfWRX Likes : 145

Posted 01 April 2018 - 10:16 PM

View PostKenny Lee Puckett, on 01 April 2018 - 02:36 PM, said:

Why can’t I put Gifs on here? Always says files too big! Yours is huge!!!!

#26 Guia

Guia

Ancient Dude

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,416 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97501
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 2193

Posted 01 April 2018 - 10:28 PM

Where has Monty been?  He will have the answer.

#27 BottleCap

BottleCap

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132067
GolfWRX Likes : 413

Posted 01 April 2018 - 10:56 PM

around the 10 minute mark

Edited by BottleCap, 01 April 2018 - 10:58 PM.

Titleist 913 D2 10.5 Fujikura Speeder Evolution 2 661
Titleist 915F 15 Fujikura Speeder Evolution 757
Titleist 718 AP2 3-4 AMT S300
Titleist 712 MB 5-PW DG S300
Vokey SM6 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT

#28 RBImGuy

RBImGuy

Major Winner

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,250 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30615
GolfWRX Likes : 357

Posted 02 April 2018 - 03:53 AM

Is there any statistics on this for the average golfer? Was watching this guy give his friend tips on his swing mainly focusing on his finish ... When the main reason for his distance loss was his major over the top move ... Didn't want to say anything cause the dudes were way older but honestly why is the over the top move so prevalent in amateurs?

Due to modern theory teaching.

View PostSean2, on 01 April 2018 - 05:40 AM, said:

Another reason I think it is because many folks have a hit impulse, so they swing with their shoulders, arms, hands, which keeps the club from dropping into the slot.

I see the golf swing as more rotational than an actual "swing". When I hear the word swing I think of engaging my arms and hands, like with a baseball bat, or an ax. I would say the golf swing is actually a rotational force that our arms and hands respond to. You rotate back in the takeaway, and rotate through in the forward motion, keeping the arms and hands passive, letting them go along for the ride.

Hum no.

View Posthack2489, on 01 April 2018 - 06:00 AM, said:

As one inflicted with a natural tendency to come OTT, I believe the causes are as outlined by a couple of responses above:

- not knowing the swing dynamic

None here knows those.
If they did I would know

View Posthack2489, on 01 April 2018 - 06:04 AM, said:

What are the correct concept(s)?

This is a serious and genuine question from someone wanting learn and understand.

None here knows.
You will struggle with what they teach you here.
They all think thats normal.

No one here can offer you a definition of a golf swing, I can.
But I wont tell due to the experts here say they know better.
They dont and keep on living in the illusion of knowing.

Anyhow, Have a great day
Knows the secret to the golf swing to own it.
300+ yards and 4% dispersion for unmatched accuracy
Golf God

#29 hack2489

hack2489

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2018 - 04:57 AM

View PostBottleCap, on 01 April 2018 - 10:56 PM, said:

around the 10 minute mark

Thank You. Thank You. Thank You.

Bottle Cap .. I just took a few of those off while watching that video, and this one:

https://www.youtube....h?v=2V6-n-bRPn8

I really like the drill and mental aspects they discuss in that video.

EDIT: I just looked at this one too.... watch at about the 2.40 mark:

https://www.youtube....h?v=KceztwOBV8I

And ...

Have a look at this one from the 15.10 mark:

https://www.youtube....h?v=t7RrP1DtM3o

Note: the rest of that one ^^^^ (yes the putting one) is really good too .. but that's a bit off track for this thread.

Edited by hack2489, 02 April 2018 - 05:51 AM.

#30 OrangeGravy

OrangeGravy

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 322661
  • Handicap:$$
  • Ebay ID:OrangeGravy
GolfWRX Likes : 425

Posted 02 April 2018 - 05:00 AM

View Postjurr80, on 01 April 2018 - 06:49 PM, said:

Interesting stuff.

From the top, you're looking down at a golf ball, and your arms are over your shoulder. This is a mental "screw job". Your brain wants to get the hammer on the nail. You want to see (control) this process. In reality, getting weight to the front leg is going to start opening up your core to swing through, and your hands (and shaft) are going to naturally trail your opening chest. Eventually, it all catches up, but you can't control that at speed.

Kids typically get this easier because the club weighs so much for them. They just have to move the body to get that heavy object around them.

But, that moment from the top is the problem. You initially don't trust that hands behind you (even if they're in front of your chest) are going to get down to the golf ball without your help and control. That's why someone holding the shaft at the top behind you while you start the downswing can be so helpful. It just helps open the mental image that "those arms don't do anything to start the trip down."

Obviously other concepts play into all of it. Did you make a body turn or did you just start your backswing with flopping your arms behind you? Is your grip a disaster? Is your setup a mess?

But even with good fundamentals, the mental image from the top can still throw the entire thing out of whack. You can't direct that club to the ball and hope to have any true speed or control. You'll always have some degree of pulling down/steepening/OTT.

The correct sequence is exactly the opposite of what makes intuitive sense. Ben Hogan was right on with that statement in Five Lessons.

I think the shape of a golf club plays a part in the "metal screwjob". If you were swinging something like a sledge hammer, your brain wouldn't let you come OTT due to the shape of the head. You would instinctively shallow because your brain would know that it was necessary to get the strike surface of the hammer to the back of the ball

Taylormade Burner Bubble/ S-90 Steel
Sonartec 3.5/YS-6+
Wishon 550 cm 4-p
Cleveland 588 DSG 56*
Cleveland 588 DSG/RTG+ 59*
Odyssey White Hot 6

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors