Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

120MPH Club Head Speed w Two Way Miss - Please Help!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TheGoodeLife

TheGoodeLife

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 465982
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 28 March 2018 - 04:54 PM

Golf Fam:

I'm a former baseball player so I have a decent swing, however, my ball striking is inconsistent as my angle of attach is too steep. Additionally, it seems that I have an early extension problem. My back heel is off the ground once I start the downswing - is this leading to swing problems as well? I haven't shot below 90 in two years and need all the help I can get. Any advice is welcome - thank you!

Normal Speed Video:

https://youtu.be/JmD7bmTirew

Slow Motion Video:

https://youtu.be/dth_367GCpk

-J

Edited by TheGoodeLife, 28 March 2018 - 05:29 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Yoblad

Yoblad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 310225
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 15 April 2018 - 07:09 PM

I'm no instructor and not at all qualified to critique anyone's swing (I'm struggling to break 80 normally) but I'll offer some advice anyway since no one responded. Take this with the same grain of salt as some random ****** at the range offering unsolicited advice lol

You are a guy with a 110 mph clubhead speed swinging absolutely out of his underpants to achieve 120mph of chaos with piss poor mechanics and maximum effort. The fact you even put your club head speed in the post title makes me think it's purely ego driven and is the biggest thing holding you back from breaking 90.

First thing to fix is your grip. Would tell more face on but at this angle look at how underneath your right hand is. This is way too strong. You are a pretty good athlete and well coordinated so you're able to manipulate and correct things in the downswing to get square................sometimes. Since you're swinging beyond your ability the instances you can't time this well are when you develop a two-way miss. You can't play golf like this (as you've already noticed)

Honestly I think the best place for you is pitch shots at 125 yards. Really work on smoothing things out with a proper grip and compressing the ball with effortless power. Take the LEAST amount of backswing necessary and start with a 50 yard pitch, then 75, then 125 all with the same club (for me this is either a 50* or 46* wedge). Take this same level of rhythm and effort to the driver. Be willing to sacrifice a few mph for the sake of performing an actual golf shot. The average speed on tour is somewhere around 115mph. I'd be willing to bet all those guys could achieve 125+ if they didn't give a wet s*** about where it ended up.

Pause your vid at 15 seconds (top of backswing) and then compare it to any pro and the differences should be outrageous to you. I think the biggest reason for this is your grip, lack of proper wrist set, and overswing. You try making up for these deficiencies through raw athletic ability at the cost of control.

I never played baseball beyond junior level so this might be wrong/dumb but in your case I would maybe think of the golf swing as hitting a low inside pitch between 2nd and 1st base and having it land inside the foul line and in front of the right-fielder to guarantee a base hit if you've got some wheels.

Hope this helps. If not, see a real instructor and tame that athletic ability!

#3 Petunia Sprinkle

Petunia Sprinkle

Future King of France

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,913 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 397380
GolfWRX Likes : 4043

Posted 15 April 2018 - 07:13 PM

More wrist c0ck and lower right elbow in your backswing might be worth trying.

#4 J13

J13

60% of the time, every time.

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 12,826 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76984
  • Handicap:+1.6
GolfWRX Likes : 5668

Posted 15 April 2018 - 07:47 PM

You are very steep and def dealing with EE.  Reason for the EE that i see is your shaft coming in so steep you have no choice otherwise you would bury the club into the ground.  Get your backswing more on plane for starters and that will be a step in the right direction.
Ping G400 LST 8.5* / Mitsu Kuro Kage Dual Core XT 70TX or Xphlexxx Agera 73X
Callaway Rogue SZ 15* w/ Veylix Rome 888 X
Taylormade UDI 2 iron (UST Proforce V2)
Srixon 745's 4-PW (Modus Tour 120 TX)
Callaway MD3 50, 54, 60 Modus3 125 wedge shaft
Odyssey White Hot Versa #6
Srixon Zstar XV

GolfWrx WITB Podcast: http://www.golfwrx.com/482668/tgtg-golfwrx-forum-member-j13-talks-witb-and-club-testing/

WITB
http://www.golfwrx.c.../page__st__1590

#5 Texsport

Texsport

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,179 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 196
GolfWRX Likes : 1136

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:20 PM

As a former baseball player myself I'd advise that your right hand grip is way too strong.

Get that right hand more on top and think about throwing as a swing motion.

The golf swing is more around - not up and down. Think making a side-arm throw with a good legs initiated weight shift.

Your arms must be relaxed, like when you throw - you're not chopping down a tree or playing soft pitch soft ball in a golfswing. Use your athleticism to make a smooth, fast swing - not as hard as you can swing.

Applying excess force by trying to hit it hard alters the natural circular swing path and alters the club face at impact.

Again, think throwing motion - it's natural, more consistent, and accurate.

Hitting the center of the club face every time instead of swinging too hard is the goal. You've got more than enough natural speed and power. You're handicapping yourself by swinging beyond a controllable speed.

Fairways and greens, not a 500 ft home run are the goals, even though you're like the long ball. Home run hitters frequently strike out in baseball, as well as golf.

Texsport

Edited by Texsport, 15 April 2018 - 10:31 PM.

Callaway EPIC SubZero 10.5*/Fubuki K 70X
Titleist 915 15*/Fubuki K 80X (OR) Tour Edge CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S (OR) Scratch JMO Grind Don White 50*/DG X-100
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 62*/DG S-200 (OR) Scratch JMO Grind Don White 60*/DG X-100
Bettinardi Studio Stock #16 (OR) MannKrafted Brass Big Boy(OR) The Cure CX2

#6 BettorThanMost

BettorThanMost

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 499450
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 18 April 2018 - 05:38 PM

Grip is way too strong; try to get a little flatter at the top.  Who cares about your clubhead speed?  Try and hit some 100-yard 7 irons to just get the grip and mechanics down, then you can ramp up the speed.

#7 TommyTee

TommyTee

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 496632
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 19 April 2018 - 01:02 AM

As other posters have mentioned you are way to steep on the backswing and way too fast as seems your number one priority has been to leather the ball.

Focus on a good hip and shoulder turn on a flatter plane and make your number one priority creating a good even tempo and striking the ball consistently.

Stop measuring your SS every week. You ain't trying to launch a rocket to the moon 😏

Actually maybe you are ha. Longest drive tournies seem to be growing in popularity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors