Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Your Three Favorite Public Courses In Metro Detroit

52 replies to this topic

#31 Moo

Moo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 491330
  • Handicap:11
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 11 April 2018 - 11:06 AM

Fieldstone for $35 on GroupGolfer.

I've played it maybe 25 times, but not once in the past ten years.  Anyone have an opinion or report on current conditions?

I remember making a decision not to play it as often long ago, but I can't remember why (probably because I became obsessed with Lyon Oaks!).

Driver Number One:  Epic Sub Zero 10.5 with Rogue Max Mid
Driver Number Two:  Titleist 910 D2 with Rogue Max Low shaft
Mizuno MP 54 P-4
Titleist 915 F 3 wood and Epic 3 wood (my 15th and 16th clubs...rarely use them and 90% of the time declare them out of play)
Epic 5 wood with Rogue Black
Titleist 915 F 7 wood (the incredible Hedgehog...there is no turf that can stop the Hedgehog!)
Miura 56 K
Vokey gap and 62 M
Spider putter (first new putter in 14 years in 2016, after 14 years with the same Voodoo Never Compromise)

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 1puttTUT

1puttTUT

Lefty with occasional game

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,712 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 354761
  • Handicap:3.0
  • Ebay ID:pmtuttle21
GolfWRX Likes : 976

Posted 11 April 2018 - 07:37 PM

It was in pretty good shape last year from what I can remember. The 5th hole had a temporary green awhile back but I think they've fixed it since.
Cobra F8 10.5D w/ Hazardous Yellow
Cobra F7 16* w/ Aldila RIP Beta 80s
Cobra F7 19* w/Aldila NV 2KXV Orange 85s
Titleist 913H 21* w/stock garbage shaft
Titleist 915H 24* w/stock garbage shaft
Cobra forged TEC 6-GW w/ KBS Tour 120s
Titleist Vokey SM6 54*/58* w/ Nippon Modus3 125s
Bettinardi BB8 tour flowneck/TP Mills Trad II roundneck/SC Del Mar Cali

#33 Moo

Moo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2018 - 08:02 PM

View Post1puttTUT, on 11 April 2018 - 07:37 PM, said:

It was in pretty good shape last year from what I can remember. The 5th hole had a temporary green awhile back but I think they've fixed it since.

Groovy.  Thanks.
Mizuno MP 54 P-4
Titleist 915 F 3 wood and Epic 3 wood (my 15th and 16th clubs...rarely use them and 90% of the time declare them out of play)
Titleist 915 F 7 wood (the incredible Hedgehog...there is no turf that can stop the Hedgehog!)
Miura 56 K
Vokey gap and 62 M
Spider putter (first new putter in 14 years in 2016, after 14 years with the same Voodoo Never Compromise)

#34 Schoolboy

Schoolboy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 375966
  • Handicap:9.9
  • Ebay ID:schoolboy84
GolfWRX Likes : 47

Posted 15 April 2018 - 08:01 AM

I’ll second Black River. Played there a few years ago & it offers a lot of bang for the buck. Lots of history at that track as well.

#35 Moo

Moo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2018 - 07:55 AM

WRX Metro Detroit Friends!  Heads up that Group Golfer is doing the (what I believe is only once per year) coupons for St Clair Golf Club.

Last year it was the most favorite hidden gem of me and my Sunday buddy the Andy Cat.  We decided we would play it four times in 2018.  We loved it that much.

https://www.groupgolfer.com/

Also, played Moose Ridge yesterday.  I was very surprised how fast the greens were for this early in the year.  I had many a three putt (including number 4, which I reached in regulation and then 3 putted from 18 feet!).  You really have to know Moose Ridge greens and be in form to position that approach BELOW the hole on at least a third of the greens, or you are going to get punished.  Yesterday my trusty putter really lost it's mojo, and yes, it was the putter's fault and not mine!

Oh, it's been so dry this spring that I've never seen the ground so firm at Moose Ridge.  A few times near the cart part there was exposed dirt, as they still have the normal spring touch up work still to do.  But the usually lush Moose Ridge was looking as dry as I've ever seen it.  I'm sure it will be perfect in a month or so.

Edited by Moo, 02 May 2018 - 07:56 AM.

Mizuno MP 54 P-4
Miura 56 K
Vokey gap and 62 M

#36 kgeisler13

kgeisler13

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 314595
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 37

Posted 02 May 2018 - 12:42 PM

Eagle Eye

U of M

The Orcahrds

Also I would pick Twin Lakes over Blackheath
KG

#37 ferrispgm

ferrispgm

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 925
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 514

Posted 02 May 2018 - 02:02 PM

The Orchards:  The course is just a good solid layout with some good risk/reward holes, it's always in good to great shape, and they have a solid practice facility.  You can certainly score well there but also score horribly if you are slightly off.

Fieldstone:  Another solid course.  I have only played it a few times and it's been some years since I moved to AZ but was normally in pretty good shape and a solid layout minus 1 or 2 holes that may be a little odd from what I remember.

3rd is a toss up between Twin Lakes:  I played there a bunch and though it tended to be wet, the greens were in good shape and they have a lot of honest holes out there.  I think it's very underrated but one of the better options in the area IMO.  

And:  Boulder Pointe:  It's usually in really good shape, can normally find a good rate online and the courses are solid.  Again, they have a couple holes that I think are a little iffy but overall a nice course and a fun layout
Driver: Callaway Epic 9* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD M9003
FWY:  Taylormade Rocketballz Tp 14.5*
Hybrid:  Adams Idea Pro 18*
Irons: Srixon Z765 3-5 iron, z965 6-PW, Project X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: Cleveland CG14 1 dot
Putter: Taylormade Daytona Rossa with agsi.

#38 countvelvet

countvelvet

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133985
  • Handicap:3
  • Ebay ID:countvelvet
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 02 May 2018 - 08:23 PM

View PostMoo, on 02 May 2018 - 07:55 AM, said:

WRX Metro Detroit Friends!  Heads up that Group Golfer is doing the (what I believe is only once per year) coupons for St Clair Golf Club.

Last year it was the most favorite hidden gem of me and my Sunday buddy the Andy Cat.  We decided we would play it four times in 2018.  We loved it that much.

Also, played Moose Ridge yesterday.  I was very surprised how fast the greens were for this early in the year.  I had many a three putt (including number 4, which I reached in regulation and then 3 putted from 18 feet!).  You really have to know Moose Ridge greens and be in form to position that approach BELOW the hole on at least a third of the greens, or you are going to get punished.  Yesterday my trusty putter really lost it's mojo, and yes, it was the putter's fault and not mine!

Oh, it's been so dry this spring that I've never seen the ground so firm at Moose Ridge.  A few times near the cart part there was exposed dirt, as they still have the normal spring touch up work still to do.  But the usually lush Moose Ridge was looking as dry as I've ever seen it.  I'm sure it will be perfect in a month or so.
I just bought 4 passes.  St. Clair is awesome.  Can't wait to play it!

#39 Moo

Moo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2018 - 07:51 AM

View Postferrispgm, on 02 May 2018 - 02:02 PM, said:

The Orchards:  The course is just a good solid layout with some good risk/reward holes, it's always in good to great shape, and they have a solid practice facility.  You can certainly score well there but also score horribly if you are slightly off.

Fieldstone:  Another solid course.  I have only played it a few times and it's been some years since I moved to AZ but was normally in pretty good shape and a solid layout minus 1 or 2 holes that may be a little odd from what I remember.

3rd is a toss up between Twin Lakes:  I played there a bunch and though it tended to be wet, the greens were in good shape and they have a lot of honest holes out there.  I think it's very underrated but one of the better options in the area IMO.  

And:  Boulder Pointe:  It's usually in really good shape, can normally find a good rate online and the courses are solid.  Again, they have a couple holes that I think are a little iffy but overall a nice course and a fun layout

Twin Lakes is a course I used to play all the time.  Good layout and some interesting holes.  I have still not played the, "new" 9 in the woods, but my friend Jim raves about it.  Must play it this year.

As for Boulder Pointe, I love the middle 9 and the 9 across the road is my favorite of the three.  That first 9, the one most North, I'm not as crazy about...but it's probably because I never shoot as well on that one as the other two.  Here is a secret for the thread.  Last year Boulder Pointe did a special on the weekends around 2 pm where you could just buy the tee time for $100 bucks.  2 people, 4 people, they don't care.  It's your tee for $100.  We jumped on that special 3 or 4 times.  Just call the pro shop and ask if they have the special.  I bet they do it again this year.
Mizuno MP 54 P-4
Miura 56 K
Vokey gap and 62 M

#40 Moo

Moo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2018 - 07:56 AM

View Postcountvelvet, on 02 May 2018 - 08:23 PM, said:

View PostMoo, on 02 May 2018 - 07:55 AM, said:

I just bought 4 passes.  St. Clair is awesome.  Can't wait to play it!

It really is one of the true hidden gems.  I'm playing it with three different groups this year and everyone jumped on the special yesterday. Unless I'm mistaken, the only way to get a discount is the annual Group Golfer offering.  The regular non-member rate is something like $70 if I recall.  I love the tighter fairways, the angles you really need to know to play it well, and the quick and slate smooth greens.  It's a bit of a drive from Royal Oak, but it's worth it!

Mizuno MP 54 P-4
Miura 56 K
Vokey gap and 62 M

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#41 1b!ggolfnut

1b!ggolfnut

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 500990
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 06 May 2018 - 11:02 AM

1. Orchards
2. Pierce Lake
3. UofM

Those are the top 3 values that come to mind.

#42 kgeisler13

kgeisler13

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 314595
GolfWRX Likes : 37

Posted 07 May 2018 - 07:59 AM

I'm surprised you guys like Black River the last time I played it a few years ago it was in terrible shape.  I do think if they fixed it up, it would be a very solid course
KG

#43 keeponlivin

keeponlivin

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 473938
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 07 May 2018 - 02:38 PM

1. Moose Ridge

2. Cattails

3. Rouge Park

#44 Moo

Moo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2018 - 07:56 AM

The 2018 Free Press list is out!

It's not a bad list, but there are a few courses that I do not believe should be on a Top Ten list for our area.

BTW, played Greystone last week for the first time in a decade.  It was far better than I remember.  Everyone in our group agreed to add it to our course rotation next year.

https://www.freep.co...roit/757087002/
Mizuno MP 54 P-4
Miura 56 K
Vokey gap and 62 M

#45 TadWPJ

TadWPJ

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 495740
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 07 July 2018 - 08:26 AM

1. UofM Golf Course

2. Washtenaw (Polo Fields)
3. Roseland Park (Winsor)
4. Monroe CC
5. Fieldstone
6. Shepard's Hollow

#46 Radeon962

Radeon962

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,282 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 331
  • Ebay ID:DCI86
GolfWRX Likes : 285

Posted 08 July 2018 - 08:21 PM

Shepherd's Hollow
Polo Fields
Hunters Ridge

Faulkwood Shores was mentioned but played twilight there Friday night and it was in horrible condition, even more so than years past.  Singh bought the property and is supposedly going to put money into it but as of now it does not look like it.  Fairways were like concrete, greens were marked up, cart path between 15 & 16 was like a roller coaster.  Sad to see as at one time it was one of the tougher courses around.

Played Hunters Ridge today and it was in nice shape (other than tee boxes were fairly hacked up but they are flat at least which seems to be an issue at several local tracks) but I don't know how they stay open. 4:03 tee time and we were the only 4-some on the front.  Makes for an enjoyable round but the last few times we have played there it has been empty.

Have not played Majestic yet this year but it is a very picturesque course but the greens have always been too soft and don't roll very well.  Playable enough if you go out early but by the end of the day they get marked up from traffic and it's rare to get a true roll.

#47 Moo

Moo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2018 - 08:56 PM

Radeon962, on 08 July 2018 - 08:21 PM, said:

Shepherd's Hollow
Polo Fields
Hunters Ridge

Faulkwood Shores was mentioned but played twilight there Friday night and it was in horrible condition, even more so than years past.  Singh bought the property and is supposedly going to put money into it but as of now it does not look like it.  Fairways were like concrete, greens were marked up, cart path between 15 & 16 was like a roller coaster.  Sad to see as at one time it was one of the tougher courses around.

Played Hunters Ridge today and it was in nice shape (other than tee boxes were fairly hacked up but they are flat at least which seems to be an issue at several local tracks) but I don't know how they stay open. 4:03 tee time and we were the only 4-some on the front.  Makes for an enjoyable round but the last few times we have played there it has been empty.

Have not played Majestic yet this year but it is a very picturesque course but the greens have always been too soft and don't roll very well.  Playable enough if you go out early but by the end of the day they get marked up from traffic and it's rare to get a true roll.

About a decade ago me and 3 buddies made The Majestic our regular Sunday morning thing.  Even worked out a deal with them for a fixed tee time and a small discount for paying for like 60 rounds in advance (4 guys, 15 rounds).  But, after a couple of years a couple of the guys voted down doing it again the following year because the greens were just too slow.  We complained many, many times and we were told they slowed them down to speed up play.

We were done with The Majestic after that, but I still go back and play it once or twice a season.  Last summer I found the greens to be acceptable.  Not quick, but fairly smooth and not so slow you couldn't get a good prediction on the speed.  Still, with all the choices in metro, The Majestic should up their game.

Also, the sand there needs major improvement.  It's not even really sand anymore...more like grainy dirt.  There are few courses as beautiful and so many of the holes are unique and interesting, but with limited time to play I'm playing most of my rounds elsewhere.

Edited by Moo, 08 July 2018 - 08:58 PM.

Mizuno MP 54 P-4
Miura 56 K
Vokey gap and 62 M

#48 CamDanger

CamDanger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 499796
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 09 July 2018 - 02:19 AM

I moved out of state, the three I want to play the most are:
1. Leslie Park
2. Eagle Crest
3. Lakes of Taylor

#49 countvelvet

countvelvet

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133985
  • Handicap:3
  • Ebay ID:countvelvet
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 09 July 2018 - 07:59 AM

I played St. Clair Golf Club on Saturday.  Man I love that course!  It was in fantastic shape.  The greens were in amazing condition and rolled nice and fast.  Such a great deal at $35 from Group Golfer.

#50 Moo

Moo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2018 - 08:04 AM

countvelvet, on 09 July 2018 - 07:59 AM, said:

I played St. Clair Golf Club on Saturday.  Man I love that course!  It was in fantastic shape.  The greens were in amazing condition and rolled nice and fast.  Such a great deal at $35 from Group Golfer.

Good to hear.  We are planning a mega golf day out there during Open week.  $35 bucks with Group Golfer and the bonus of a space available replay for $20.

Mizuno MP 54 P-4
Miura 56 K
Vokey gap and 62 M

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#51 TadWPJ

TadWPJ

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 495740
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 09 July 2018 - 08:06 AM

I played Faulkwood Shores last week.  The land on 10-17 is dead flat.  Singh needs to make that area housing and do a cool renovation on front 9 and improve driving range.  Front could be a good 9 holer.  They have cart paths running down 2 yards from the fairway along the course.

#52 Moo

Moo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2018 - 06:30 PM

Just a heads up if you play The Orchards anytime soon...lower your expectations.  I've been playing it since 1993 (the year it opened) and I've played it at least 100 times and probably 200.  I have never seen so many pitch marks on the greens.  My buddy couldn't believe it either.  I'm not talking about a couple here and there, I'm talking dozens and dozens and dozens on several of the greens.

And the greens were slow.  Not the normal Orchards speed.  Wow, we were very surprised.
Mizuno MP 54 P-4
Miura 56 K
Vokey gap and 62 M

#53 Moo

Moo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted Yesterday, 07:12 AM

Red alert!

Lyon Oaks Group Golfer coupons on sale today! Get some. You know you want them. You know you want to play Lyon Oaks.

The entire big bang, formation of our solar system, evolution from the simple cell to pond scum and finally to us, happened for one reason and one reason only...to break 80 from the blues at Lyon Oaks and complete all of your life objectives.

As Nietzsche said:

"To live is to play Lyon Oaks and suffer, to survive Lyon Oaks is to find some meaning in the suffering."
Mizuno MP 54 P-4
Miura 56 K
Vokey gap and 62 M

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors